Comicon '22 and D23 Expo '22

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
gounion

Comicon '22 and D23 Expo '22

Post by gounion »

I figured we could have this thread for the MCU reveals and trailers today, and then the supposedly BIGGER reveals in September at the Disney Expo. Everything about the next couple of years of the MCU!

Okay, both a She-Hulk and Wakanda Forever Trailer. Both REALLY good, IMHO.

Plus, the announcement that Phase 4 is ending with She-Hulk and Wakanda Forever. Not that I really care, but some consider it important.

An announced date for Fantastic Four - which I'm sure ProfX will be excited about - and two Avengers movies. Also full lineup of Disney Plus shows. Very exciting.

It's late, and I'm tired. More opinion about today's reveals on the morrow!
Number6

Re: Comicon '22 and D23 Expo '22

Post by Number6 »

Comic-Con is going on now and as usual I tend to stay away from the Convention Center. I used to ride my bike around San Diego Bay and take the ferry back to Coronado but since COVID-19 lockdown I stopped riding and haven't ridden much in the last year. I used to ride by the Convention Center on Sunday when Comic-Con was happening and see the cosplayers.

Yesterday, I noticed a Blimp flying along the bay by the convention center but I was too far away to see if it was the Goodyear Blimp or something else. It turned out the blimp was painted to look like a shark and it was advertising Shark Week on The Discovery Channel.

When you vote left, you vote right.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

As I've said, I just want somebody to do a GOOD Fantastic Four movie. Please show it can be be done, Feige, I'm hoping. And yes, I want the X-Men back, the initial films with them were good, but Fox just sort of let it all fail. I again hope Feige can work them into a larger MCU.

There have been a lot of things revealed. Not all MCU related. I'm focusing on what stood out for me.

They are doing a Dungeons & Dragons movie, Honor Among Thieves, which actually really for once, LOOKS GOOD. Ohmilord have previous attempts sucked hard. Chris Pine is, of course, the lead dishonorable thief.

There is a full official trailer for LotR: The Rings of Power, set in Tolkien's 2nd Age, the new series on Amazon coming soon this year.

On the DC side, oh, I don't know, they seem to be going very Shazam, between Shazam 2 and Black Adam, nothing has me terribly excited, except for maybe ... wow ... a cinematic version of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. OOOOOH. Oh and anybody who wants them to continue the Snyderverse, sorry, but no soup for you.

Trailer for Wakanda Forever: (no embed as always)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlOB3UALvrQ

The trailer seems to confirm that T'Challa is dead, they are not going to recast, but obviously had to move forward from Chadwick Boseman passing. I assume we'll find out how it happened in-universe.

Someone seems to have taken up the Black Panther mantle, however, and it might well be Shuri. There are hints T'Challa might have an heir (oh naughty boy), but that chid would be way to young for that, or the throne. The Queen Majesty is on the throne of Wakanda for now.

Finally, it seems to confirm buzz that the 'villain' (or at least antihero) will be Namor the Sub-Mariner, making HIS MCU debut. Basically, he's Marvel's Aquaman. :D

I hear from some vloggers Riri Wiliams (Ironheart) is in the trailer. Don't know her role yet. Also, the buzz hounds are claiming we may get our first glimpse of ... Doctor Doom. (Not in the trailers. but he will cameo in the film.)

There was a LOT more future MCU stuff revealed, but just go read the onsite bloggers, they've got it all.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

Phase 5, 2024 grid

ProfX

Post by ProfX »

It looks like Charlie Cox is back as Daredevil in a big way. That is awesome, I really liked the Netflix Daredevil series, and I also liked the Defenders. Seems he will be appearing in Echo and She-Hulk before getting his own solo Disney+ series.

I don't know how they'll treat the canonicity of everything that happened in the series. However, they've been releasing stuff that sure hints that:

The Netflix shows have all moved over to Disney+, which suggests to me:
a) they're treating the Defenders teamup as canon
and
b) we WILL see Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and possibly the Punisher (the latest version) soon again ... in fact, there's a rumor that Jessica Jones might cameo in She-Hulk.... maybe even another Defenders teamup.

I hope they recast Iron Fist. That Finn actor ... what can I say, I'll just leave it at that .. but then team him up with Shang-Chi. :D

Maybe it requires a bit of multiverse magic, or retcon, but it'd be cool to see Elektra back too, and not as a villain. :mrgreen:
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I didnt want any chance of a single spoiler for "NOPE" so thanks for saying spoiler alert in that thread, I read nothing beyond that.

Did you like it? I cant wait to see it but I dont want to go to a theater. Did you do IMAX ?
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

On the one hand, I get many people who say if you see in theaters. Go big, see it in IMAX, see it in 3D, see it in D-Box (where the seats shake & move).

I usually don't. BTW: it's weird, 3D seems to come and go, apparently Avatar 2 will have a 3D version ...

This much I can say - yeah, there's the usual Peele brew of horror, humor, and social commentary. It's on par with his previous work on all three. And a Peele film always has a twist. I can tell you a lot of the fan theorists did NOT see it coming.

I'll leave it at that. A lot of the reviewers grok the message at the heart of the film, which relates to how it opens, which is really a big question mark pointed self-referentially, as he's critiquing Hollywood itself. I like that.

I'll leave it at that, when you're ready for spoilers, go back to my spoiler comments.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Disney Plus has all five seasons of the 90's animated series now playing. Started watching. Boy, it's been a long time!
Number6

Post by Number6 »

KFMB, the CBS affiliate in San Diego, does a Throwback San Diego feature and this week's feature is from March 21, 1970 when they covered the San Diego’s Golden State Comic-Minicon. If the name doesn't sound familiar it was the convention which would later become Comic-Con.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local ... cd4505ba56
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

More information out of the outflow of Comicon that I'm sure will interest our good Professor. From the mouth of Kevin Feige himself, the MCU Fantastic Four movie will NOT be an origin story. To wit:
“A lot of people know this origin story. A lot of people know the basics. How do we take that and bring something that they’ve never seen before? We’ve set a very high bar for ourselves with bringing that to the screen.”

In regard to "the basics" of Marvel's "First Family," Fox showcased the heroes' origins in both 2005's Fantastic Four and in Josh Trank's 2015 remake.

Choosing to skip the tale of how the team gained their powers is, as Feige explained, similar to how Marvel Studios brought Spider-Man into the MCU following Sony's former Spidey franchises.
I agree! How damned many times can they show the origin story? Let's just get on with a plot and movie! I'm in!

Same way they introduced Spider-Man. How many ways can you show a spider bite?

Also, I found another tidbit out about the fast-approaching She Hulk. I was very impressed with the actress that played the fast-rapping Angelica Skyler from the original cast of Hamilton, and she's going to have an as-yet-unnamed part in She Hulk! That's awesome, and makes me look forward to it even more!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

There's a rumor that Doctor Doom will be in Wakanda Forever. We'll see. He might end up appearing first. (Same rumor says he will be a recurring villain, sorta like Kang or Thanos, and not just for the FF.) (Oh and BTW while the Ant-Man Quantamania teaser trailer is embargo'd, plenty of people are still talking about it, some are pirating it :D , and one thing we know: Kang will be the main villain.)

Although, technically, I guess that might go to John Krasinski as Mr. Fantastic appearing in DS:MoM. There is a lot of back and forth whether Krasinski will also be Mr. F in the film. The studio says no, but he recently said something else that made people wonder ... well, again, we'll have to see.

There is no reason to redo the origin story. Although they've done alternate versions of it in the prior pre-MCU films. Originally, it was simple. They went into space on a rocket, got exposed to cosmic rays, came back, powers. They were not on a space station with Dr. Doom, who was never a friend/rival of Reed Richards, thus him getting powers the same way. :D And they didn't go to some other dimension, either. But whatever, they don't have to do the origin story, canonical or otherwise; it's overdone already. Same thing with Spider-Man.

Thing I've heard is the X-Men film project (as opposed to the animated series) may be further delayed to at least 2025 due to IP/contract issues that Disney/Marvel inherited from Fox. They have to keep some of the existing actor contracts, this may be why they can get away with Patrick Stewart at a cameo Prof-X. (Or Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.) They can do the animated series on Plus first because those contracts don't apply to animation rights.
Last edited by ProfX on Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Alan Tudyk involved with Doom? What was that show he was in about superheroes, anyway you wanna watch something HILARIOUS ??

https://youtu.be/uQkEfIaEAWE

This is not the clip I wanted, Alan has a comic con thing called CON MAN you can buy on Prime. I have both seasons, it is hilarious.d

Any "Serenity" fans here? I have never seen much of it, but I think Alan is funny as hell.
Last edited by Libertas on Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:18 pm There's a rumor that Doctor Doom will be in Wakanda Forever. We'll see. He might end up appearing first. (Same rumor says he will be a recurring villain, sorta like Kang or Thanos, and not just for the FF.)

Although, technically, I guess that might go to John Krasinski as Mr. Fantastic appearing in DS:MoM. There is a lot of back and forth whether Krasinski will also be Mr. F in the film. The studio says no, but he recently said something else that made people wonder ... well, again, we'll have to see.

There is no reason to redo the origin story. Although they've done alternate versions of it in the prior pre-MCU films. Originally, it was simple. They went into space on a rocket, got exposed to cosmic rays, came back, powers. They were not on a space station with Dr. Doom, who was never a friend/rival of Reed Richards, thus him getting powers the same way. :D And they didn't go to some other dimension, either. But whatever, they don't have to do the origin story, canonical or otherwise; it's overdone already. Same thing with Spider-Man.

Thing I've heard is the X-Men film project (as opposed to the animated series) may be further delayed to at least 2025 due to IP/contract issues that Disney/Marvel inherited from Fox. They have to keep some of the existing actor contracts, this may be why they can get away with Patrick Stewart at a cameo Prof-X. (Or Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool, or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.) They can do the animated series on Plus first because those contracts don't apply to animation rights.
I think it's clear that Marvel will simple clean-sheet the whole thing. It's the best way. Though, of course, he's not above doing something later - like he did bringing both of the previous Spider-Guys into SM No Way Home!
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Another hysterical clip

https://youtu.be/Gkdrh156jjs
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

BTW, it looks like Alan Tudyk is Mr. Nobody in Doom Patrol, the DCEU show which is over on HBO Max. He is a weird character (not that anybody on that show is normal) that also sort of serves as the show's narrator.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 pm BTW, it looks like Alan Tudyk is Mr. Nobody in Doom Patrol, the DCEU show which is over on HBO Max. He is a weird character (not that anybody on that show is normal) that also sort of serves as the show's narrator.
That has been around for a while, right? If you like him at all, you gotta see CON MAN...

Yeah, just watched a clip of Doom Patrol. I was aware of that.

He also is very funny in "Resident Alien" series SyFy, sort of a comedy. and "Tucker & Dale vs Evil"
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Oh, and there also was Guardians 3 information released in SD CC.

As always, I don't give spoiler warnings on fan buzz and rumors. Maybe this is true, maybe it isn't. :D

But anyway, "it's been said" that Guardians 3 will be the last outing by Gunn and Marvel (doesn't mean the characters won't reappear, just this is their last self-titled film outing) ... (that I think is officially confirmed) ... "past" Gamora is back, but she still doesn't have the shared past with Quill her other now dead "variant" did ... this tension will still be key (as well as her complex relationship with Nebula) ... Adam Warlock is a go, so is Cosmo the telepathic Russian space dog, and apparently we will find out Rocket is a result of experimentation by the High Evolutionary (in the comics, BTW, he experimented on Wanda and Pietro at ... Wundagore Mountain ... )

And, of course, we know Thor has parted ways with them. (I still think it's a shame we saw too little of the band together, but there might be a few clips of camaraderie in flashback.)
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:08 am Oh, and there also was Guardians 3 information released in SD CC.

As always, I don't give spoiler warnings on fan buzz and rumors. Maybe this is true, maybe it isn't. :D

But anyway, "it's been said" that Guardians 3 will be the last outing by Gunn and Marvel (doesn't mean the characters won't reappear, just this is their last self-titled film outing) ... (that I think is officially confirmed) ... "past" Gamora is back, but she still doesn't have the shared past with Quill her other now dead "variant" did ... this tension will still be key (as well as her complex relationship with Nebula) ... Adam Warlock is a go, so is Cosmo the telepathic Russian space dog, and apparently we will find out Rocket is a result of experimentation by the High Evolutionary (in the comics, BTW, he experimented on Wanda and Pietro at ... Wundagore Mountain ... )

And, of course, we know Thor has parted ways with them. (I still think it's a shame we saw too little of the band together, but there might be a few clips of camaraderie in flashback.)
I think Gunn has made it clear that this iteration of the Guardians is done as of this last movie. I think one or more characters will die, and the rest - whoever is left - will be out of the picture. They may rebuild the Guardians with a different crew at a later date, but this is the swan song for the current lineup. That's okay, we got a lot of fun out of them.
gounion

Post by gounion »

The latest She-Hulk trailer silences some critics of the She-Hulk series, where they said the series was nerfing the Hulk, making she Hulk better and stronger than Hulk. And Grace Randolph, whose videos I've posted to this forum, is one. But the trailer says different - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faNwFB03r9E

Via TheDirect:
Speaking of promos for the show, several of them have shown scenes set in a tropical locale where Banner seems to be training Jennifer to master her newfound super strength. One such instance depicts Bruce (in his Smart Hulk form) picking up a large boulder and tossing it, only for Jen to pick up another rock and lob it further than Bruce had. Some viewers immediately seized upon this moment as evidence that Marvel Studios made She-Hulk stronger than Dr. Banner and began letting the reactionary complaints fly.

A new promo video for She-Hulk: Attorney at Law features a longer version of the boulder-throwing scene discussed above. In the sequence, after Jen picks up a huge rock and throws it, Bruce does the same, only his goes flying off into the lower atmosphere.

*snip*

The question of whether She-Hulk is more powerful than the Hulk is bound to have been asked innumerable times since the first trailer for She-Hulk dropped. But honestly, does it really even matter?

The individuals who have a problem with the idea that Jen could have more innate strength than Bruce Banner should probably take a step back and remember that these are just fun comic book shows and movies and that they shouldn't be taken seriously enough that one would actually be upset about something like this.

Besides, there are several different explanations as to why Walters initially threw her boulder farther than Bruce. He's been the Hulk for years and has gotten an excellent handle on his strength and abilities, whereas Jen is new to the game and obviously wouldn't know her own strength in the first few days on the job. In fact, it's not that much of a leap to guess that both characters are probably on equal footing in terms of physical strength.

Additionally, neither Jen nor Bruce were angry in that scene, they were calm and collected, Bruce probably even more so, given the context. Hulks get stronger the angrier they become, so it's reasonable to say that Banner just wasn't ticked off to access enough power until Jen "showed him up," at which point, the rock likely got thrown into space.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

They're freaking out because Jen threw a boulder further than Bruce in the trailer? Sigh. It doesn't take much.

The one difference between the two in the comics is Jen always was a "smart Hulk" in her green form, maintaining her Jen Walters intelligence and personality (which is why she often stays in Hulk form). I think they're now going with the explanation that she is that way because Bruce already figured out how to make himself "smart Hulk" so now they are both the same way. (She gets her powers from him giving her a blood transfusion; I'm assuming the series uses the same explanation.)
Last edited by ProfX on Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:23 pm They're freaking out because Jen threw a boulder further than Bruce in the trailer? Sigh. It doesn't take much.

The one difference between the two in the comics is Jen always was a "smart Hulk" in her green form, maintaining her Jen Walters intelligence and personality (which is why she often says in Hulk form). I think they're now going with the explanation that she is that way because Bruce already figured out how to make himself "smart Hulk" so now they are both the same way. (She gets her powers from him giving her a blood transfusion; I'm assuming the series uses the same explanation.)
From what I've been able to glean, they were in a car accident together, and as they were both bleeding, and it was one of those "Hey, you got your peanut butter into my chocolate" and "Hey, you got your chocolate into my peanut butter" kinda things, rather than a transfusion.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Saw the first episode of She Hulk. No spoilers - there's not much to give away that wasn't seen in previews. But it's good, and VERY funny. End credit scene is a hoot. I loved the episode, waiting for more!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Driving home the other day, I passed a electronic billboard that said (well, it shifted to as they change) "She Hulk: Attorney at Law" and they made it look like it was a real attorney's advertisement (well, except she is in green hulk form :mrgreen: ). Complete with a phone number for her "law office".

I didn't write down the number. I'm betting if you call it it's information about when the show airs and how to catch episodes. :mrgreen:

Very clever viral marketing.

Her character was always very funny in the comics. Very much had the Deadpool type way of breaking the 4th wall. Looks to me like they're staying true to that, which is cool.

People complained about the bad CGI in the trailers, it looks like now that they're finished with postproduction it's a lot better.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:09 am Driving home the other day, I passed a electronic billboard that said (well, it shifted to as they change) "She Hulk: Attorney at Law" and they made it look like it was a real attorney's advertisement (well, except she is in green hulk form :mrgreen: ). Complete with a phone number for her "law office".

I didn't write down the number. I'm betting if you call it it's information about when the show airs and how to catch episodes. :mrgreen:

Very clever viral marketing.

Her character was always very funny in the comics. Very much had the Deadpool type way of breaking the 4th wall. Looks to me like they're staying true to that, which is cool.

People complained about the bad CGI in the trailers, it looks like now that they're finished with postproduction it's a lot better.
The number is 1-877-743-4855, and yes, I called it when it first came out. It’s a message as if you were calling the law office and it’s Jennifer giving it. Glad to be of assistance! :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

The sign I saw didn't spell it out (just saw the digits), but duh, the phone number is 1-877-SHE-HULK. :mrgreen: