The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: The Yes 4 Minneapolis charter amendment, explained

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:29 pm i'm pushing reality. The fist step in correcting a problem is recognizing the problem. Defund and abolish is killing future Democratic seats.
You are misdiagnosing the problem based on rightwing propaganda. I hope the election was stolen doesn’t come next. :problem:

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Lmao we’re supposed to listen to Rittenhouse supporters about elections :lol:

The entitlement issues are out of control with these conservatives.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:29 pm i'm pushing reality. The fist step in correcting a problem is recognizing the problem. Defund and abolish is killing future Democratic seats. What i'm accepting is a cold hard fact. The right has been shooting at us over defund and abolish, and we keep giving them ammo.

If i had lived in Mpls i would have voted yes on question 2. And even though i'm agnostic, i would have then prayed Yes4Mpls. and the City Council actually had some kind of game plan for a smooth transition. Because if they did, they sure the hell didn't tell anyone about it.

Instead of abolish, pick a word and i will start using that instead........Some of these are actual words the Mpls City Council used.....
abolish
verb
formally put an end to (a system, practice, or institution).
Similar
put an end to
do away with
get rid of
scrap
end
stop
terminate
eradicate
eliminate
exterminate
destroy
annihilate
stamp out
obliterate
wipe out
extinguish
quash
expunge
extirpate
annul
cancel
invalidate
nullify
void
dissolve
erase
delete
rescind
repeal
revoke
overturn
discontinue
remove
withdraw
retract
countermand
excise
drop
jettison
vitiate
abrogate
axe
ditch
junk
scrub
dump
chop
give something the chop
knock something on the head
...and the point went right over your head.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:57 pm ...and the point went right over your head.
They tell us this crap every other year - don’t say gay marriage, the Republicans are gunna use that. Don’t talk about abortion, the Republicans are gunna use that. Don’t say the words “climate change,” the Republicans are gunna…

Don’t talk about any topic that makes personally uncomfortable. Don’t say out loud anything that makes me angry and nervous! The Republicans are gunna use it!

Same MO, different century.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:18 pm They tell us this crap every other year - don’t say gay marriage, the Republicans are gunna use that. Don’t talk about abortion, the Republicans are gunna use that. Don’t say the words “climate change,” the Republicans are gunna…

Don’t talk about any topic that makes personally uncomfortable. Don’t say out loud anything that makes me angry and nervous! The Republicans are gunna use it!

I'm sure if we stand for nothing, we can win!

For years, Dems have tried to be Republican Lite. But Dems won't vote for Republican Lite, and when faced with Republicans vs. Republican Lite, they'll vote Republican every time.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:57 pm ...and the point went right over your head.
No more than you are missing mine.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:56 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXy1pRGv8NY
Minneapolis City Council vows to disband Minneapolis Police Department

Disband, scrap, eliminate, terminate, dissolve, removing, replacing, defunding, abolish..........And many likewise words have been used.

A veto proof 9 of the city council members (Dems looking for DFL endorsement.) were for replacing the Mpls police department. This is Powdwerhorn Park in Mpls. somewhere around a month after Floyd was killed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovV0jkPj8us
Minneapolis City Council announces intent to disband police department

Ya can't have it both ways. Sure, the official democratic party line does not support defunding. Still, the Dems are guilty by association. i wish it weren't so, but there it is, and the Republicans love it. It's an easy sell for them. In the mean time, the Democrats are getting their asses handed to them because of it. Seems the Dems. didn't get ahead of the messaging from the start, and are still refusing to deal with it now.

Quit giving the Republicans ammo. 2022 and 2024 are at stake.
We could never mention it again but it won’t matter. Come summer there will be constant reminder plastered all over cable and the airwaves. All the voices of Democratic office holders from Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc., etc., behind images of looting and burning. It will take awhile to scrub off the stain.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:31 pm We could never mention it again but it won’t matter. Come summer there will be constant reminder plastered all over cable and the airwaves. All the voices of Democratic office holders from Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc., etc., behind images of looting and burning. It will take awhile to scrub off the stain.
The "stain" is created by the GOP.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:25 pm No more than you are missing mine.
You want to play the GOP game. Seems almost like you WANT us to lose so you can say "I told you so".

Keep using their framing. I'm sure you'll be happy.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:18 pm They tell us this crap every other year - don’t say gay marriage, the Republicans are gunna use that. Don’t talk about abortion, the Republicans are gunna use that. Don’t say the words “climate change,” the Republicans are gunna…

And time to put marijuana legalization on ballot.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:31 pm We could never mention it again but it won’t matter. Come summer there will be constant reminder plastered all over cable and the airwaves. All the voices of Democratic office holders from Portland, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc., etc., behind images of looting and burning. It will take awhile to scrub off the stain.
The south will rise again
Russia is our friend

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:25 pm No more than you are missing mine.
Only the conservatives are falling for these scare tactics.

Haven’t you noticed?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

That's a stain, but an insurrection isn't?

Or Derick Chauvin, conservative hero?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:24 pm I'm sure if we stand for nothing, we can win!

For years, Dems have tried to be Republican Lite. But Dems won't vote for Republican Lite, and when faced with Republicans vs. Republican Lite, they'll vote Republican every time.
Or sit on a fence peddling pro-police, pro-Rittenhouse conservatism, and pretend to be objective and practical and common sense!

Because nobody sees through that and it’s always worked so well!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by sam lefthand »

carmenjonze wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:36 pm Or sit on a fence peddling pro-police, pro-Rittenhouse conservatism, and pretend to be objective and practical and common sense!

Because nobody sees through that and it’s always worked so well!
Hate is binding and blinding both of you.

:(

Police we will must always have. But we must reform the police that they service us to our benefit, not to our horror.

Police work will never be done, and reforming the police will also never be done. It's a situation of maintaining good maintenance, and balance.
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:03 pm Hate is binding and blinding both of you.

:(

Police we will must always have. But we must reform the police that they service us to our benefit, not to our horror.

Police work will never be done, and reforming the police will also never be done. It's a situation of maintaining good maintenance, and balance.
Let's just never talk about reforming the police, because that will piss off Republicans and we will lose elections.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:09 pm Let's just never talk about reforming the police, because that will piss off Republicans and we will lose elections.
No, let's always talk about reforming the police, and more than talking about it let us do it for a change. Let's talk about raising the wages of policepersons so that we can attract better people to do what is a difficult job.

Let's bring the police in to balance insofar as the sexes and races.

Never talk about defunding or eradicating the police for it is that which pisses off folks on both sides, and it is with that, that we will lose elections
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:16 pm No, let's always talk about reforming the police, and more than talking about it let us do it for a change. Let's talk about raising the wages of policepersons so that we can attract better people to do what is a difficult job.

Let's bring the police in to balance insofar as the sexes and races.

Never talk about defunding or eradicating the police for it is that which pisses off folks on both sides, and it is with that, that we will lose elections
It doesn't matter WHAT we say, the right will frame it as if we're out to do away with the police.

I'd suggest we don't use their framing.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

sam lefthand wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:03 pm

troll

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:24 pm It doesn't matter WHAT we say, the right will frame it as if we're out to do away with the police.

I'd suggest we don't use their framing.
What we have now is the police “reform.” That’s why these conservative whites are desperate to maintain this status quo.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:35 pm That's a stain, but an insurrection isn't?

Or Derick Chauvin, conservative hero?
White conservatism is the stain.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

When white conservatives say idiotic things like, "yurr doing more harm than good" and "let sleeping dogs lie," invoking "common sense":

Adam H. Johnson
@adamjohnsonNYC

Yes! A 1859 NYT editorial scolding abolitionists as unreasonable and doing harm to the cause of opposing slavery is a fascinating read, especially the part where they say “silence on the part of the north concerning slavery would be the best policy”

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/stat ... 2543776786

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 pm You want to play the GOP game. Seems almost like you WANT us to lose so you can say "I told you so".

Keep using their framing. I'm sure you'll be happy.
I think it's more important to them to hang on to the status quo of law enforcement injustice. It's why he's a cheerleader for that guy who ran to Kenosha to kill the nigger lovers. It doesn't go any deeper than that with these cons.

"The Dems" better stop talking about things they're not even talking about!

Or else!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:31 am I think it's more important to them to hang on to the status quo of law enforcement injustice. It's why he's a cheerleader for that guy who ran to Kenosha to kill the nigger lovers. It doesn't go any deeper than that with these cons.

"The Dems" better stop talking about things they're not even talking about!

Or else!
You're so judgmental, my dear.

Look, so police kill POC for no reason all the time, I get it, but the real problem is YOU MAKING a moral judgment about it! sigh

viewtopic.php?p=4098#p4098
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:14 pm You're so judgmental, my dear.

Look, so police kill POC for no reason all the time, I get it, but the real problem is YOU MAKING a moral judgment about it! sigh

viewtopic.php?p=4098#p4098
Very glad to be openly, flagrantly, proudly so-called judgmental. These colluders with white supremacism are lucky I even counter their posts, at all.

~ Ida B. Wells