RUST set shooting....

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
rainwater

Re: RUST set shooting....

Post by rainwater »

The left tries to organize boycotts of advertisers on, say, Fox, by asking consumers not to buy products. The right quietly threatens the relevant corporate exex in the relevant NYC offices with all manner of business consequences if they don't pull their ads. Guess which one is more successful. Bingo.
that became very fashionable post Nam and then perfected via raygun years. not that it was a new thing, just how they lied about it.

ed schultz began hitting more airwaves..i cant recall what year, wait, hadda be 2005, someone called me told me
to turn on Boulder radio and listen to this new guy.
this was days before Katrina. so i joined his board as Katrina was hitting NOLA.

i tried DU yah didnt like that. looked at RR yeh didnt care. did post AAR a bit, did read zowie there, and goU.
but, stayed at essmb.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:38 pm Considerable confusion over what constitutes a live weapon. Blanks can kill, so a live gun is anything with the means of going bang, regardless of what's actually going to come out of the barrel. Basically, if anything at all is in a weapon, it's fire in the hole, and grown up people on real sets with real rules will follow drills that keep everyone as safe as possible.

Did you see Alec interview ABC yesterday?

What confused me was he said he never heard of the term "armorer" and he has been in dozens of movies where he shoots a gun.

How is that possible? He said he knows them as the "prop" person.

He then was played George Clooney's comment on Marc Maron that Clooney ALWAYS checks to see if there is a round in any weapon before he uses it on set, and Alec was annoyed that people were chiming in and then he said something that made sense:

along the lines of he was always told never to fire the gun before the scene or mess with the gun at all because that is the job of the prop person and he could harm the prop etc contrast this with Clooney saying he always checks to see if the gun is loaded, so I thought that Baldwin's comment sounded reasonable because think of all the unusual guns that could be on a set like an AR15 most people wouldn't even know how to check to see if they were loaded...

He also said he did not pull the trigger, that the Cinematographer, who was ultimately shot, was telling him to point it at her and to pull the hammer back to set up a possible shot, or point it to the left of the camera where she was standing. That he let go of the hammer and it fired.
I sigh in your general direction.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Libertas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:49 pm Did you see Alec interview ABC yesterday?

What confused me was he said he never heard of the term "armorer" and he has been in dozens of movies where he shoots a gun.

He then was played George Clooney's comment on Marc Maron that Clooney ALWAYS checks to see if there is a round in any weapon before he uses it on set, and Alec was annoyed that people were chiming in and then he said something that made sense:

along the lines of he was always told never to fire the gun before the scene or mess with the gun at all because that is the job of the prop person and he could harm the prop etc contrast this with Clooney saying he always checks to see if the gun is loaded, so I thought that Baldwin's comment sounded reasonable because think of all the unusual guns that could be on a set like an AR15 most people wouldn't even know how to check to see if they were loaded...

He also said he did not pull the trigger, that the Cinematographer, who was ultimately shot, was telling him to point it at her and to pull the hammer back to set up a possible shot, or point it to the left of the camera where she was standing. That he let go of the hammer and it fired.
If they modified that pistol to be the way the quick draw guns of the old west were modified then the trigger would be inert. That would make the gun able to be fanned. To be fired four times by simply wiping four fingers of a hand across the hammer.

They might do that for a movie. However the stunt double would normally be the only one to be handed a slip gun. A person would be nuts to hand an lead actor a gun modified like that.

The way it works for fanning is the gunman holds his fingers apart like a fan. Then he drags the first finger across the hammer and when the finger slips off the hammer the hammer drops and the gun fires before the second finger hooks on the hammer and draws the hammer back and then falls firing the gun again. There are four finger and four shots can be fired with one smooth movement of the hand across the hammer. It takes two hand to do that. One to hold the gun and the other to fan it.

For wiping a gun only one hand is used, one finger of the hand holding the gun is used to pull the hammer back, then releases it firing one shot very quickly.

I've seen pistols modified like that. They're called slip guns:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanning_(firearms)
A slip gun is a revolver which has been modified to disconnect the trigger from the hammer, so as to cause it to fire by pulling back and releasing the hammer. Often the hammer spur is lowered, so the gun may be fired by wiping one's finger across the hammer. The only difference from fanning is that only one hand is needed, because in fanning one hand holds the gun and pulls back the trigger while the other hand knocks back the hammer repeatedly. Slip shooting is a little slower than fanning, but more accurate and practical since only one hand is needed. Slip guns were used for various types of rapid trick shooting in which the ability to instinctively rapid fire was crucial.
To modify a gun to do that a person needs to take it apart and with a file, file the hammer spur off leaving a smooth round surface. Then the hammer spring needs to replaced with a weaker one, and every aspect of the action surfaces need to be honed smooth as glass so that the action operates extremely easily and smooth. That modification might take 15 or 20 hours to do. It's kind of like polishing glass to make a mirror. When it's done the metal parts will reflect and glisten in the light. The gun will slip out of a holster with almost no force.

:|

Guns like that are hard to hold onto with a hand and are easy to drop on the ground. The shock of hitting the ground might set them off. Jumping off of a horse might set them off. Tripping and stumbling while walking might set them off.

When waking around with one in a holster brushing up against anything might set it off if that hammer snags on anything or it is shaken or jarred in anyway. It will fire right through the bottom of the holster and it will be pointed down the side of the gunman's leg and towards his foot when it goes off.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Libertas wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:49 pm Did you see Alec interview ABC yesterday?

whatever happened here it total bullshit since theyve been using NM as a movie scene For Decades. moving handling using
weapons all this time.
someone was Careless here and Alec is under it.

as well....its clear there are way too many "rights" of fucking gun powder in this contry along with size of pop availing themselves
to ammo and weapons..to use against..who?..their neighbors? if so, our "neighborhoods" are totally fucked.
a 'regulated militia' has Nothing to do with today.

you got KIDS here who can get AR15s and walk down the street with them. yah nothun wrong here. :o
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

The problem I have with the shooting is Baldwin says he didn't pull the trigger but he was using, in most probability, a single-action revolver meaning when you pull the hammer back it doesn't cock. So when he pulled the trigger back and released the hammer the hammer did what it would have if he had pulled the trigger. The question still remains how did the live bullet get into the prop gun in the first place?

Regardless of how the bullet got in the gun or if Baldwin pulled the trigger, Baldwin bears a tremendous amount of responsibility for not checking the weapon to ensure it wasn't loaded.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:01 pm The problem I have with the shooting is Baldwin says he didn't pull the trigger but he was using, in most probability, a single-action revolver meaning when you pull the hammer back it doesn't cock. So when he pulled the trigger back and released the hammer the hammer did what it would have if he had pulled the trigger. The question still remains how did the live bullet get into the prop gun in the first place?

Regardless of how the bullet got in the gun or if Baldwin pulled the trigger, Baldwin bears a tremendous amount of responsibility for not checking the weapon to ensure it wasn't loaded.
I am curious about this.

What if it was an AR15 or some complicated machine gun or you know, most actors wouldnt know how to check to see if loaded.

I am curious if Zowie was on set with those kinds of guns and what the answer is...I would think the actor is not supposed to fuck with the gun at all.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:25 pm I am curious about this.

What if it was an AR15 or some complicated machine gun or you know, most actors wouldnt know how to check to see if loaded.

I am curious if Zowie was on set with those kinds of guns and what the answer is...I would think the actor is not supposed to fuck with the gun at all.
Before an actor is going to handle any weapon they're unfamiliar with then I hope the prop person, the armorer, or the set safety official instructions them on handling and safety precautions.

I was at bowling last night and two bowlers were talking about Baldwin's shooting. Both said the first thing you do when you're handed a weapon is to check to see if it's loaded. One is active duty and the other retired Navy men and both own guns. Of course, both have received arms training from the military so they're familiar with gun safety. From what I've read and heard is Baldwin doesn't own guns or cares for them but still, he should have had the sense to check the weapon to see if it was loaded.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

But what if it was a complicated weapon that I know myself I probably wouldnt know how to check to see if it was loaded?

There was a great thread on twitter from an armorer explaining it all and I wish I could find it. I think the way it works is the armorer will show the actor it isnt loaded if they ask, but I dont think the actor is supposed to know how to do it and do it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

On a professional set, the actor shouldn't mess with the gun. If they were to open it, then the armorers would have to recheck the gun prior to action being called.

But gunfire can be done digitally these days easily and cheaply, so I think they should ban all working guns from movie sets from here on in.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 am On a professional set, the actor shouldn't mess with the gun. If they were to open it, then the armorers would have to recheck the gun prior to action being called.

But gunfire can be done digitally these days easily and cheaply, so I think they should ban all working guns from movie sets from here on in.
Yeah I think that is what the armorer said that I read.

Which is what made Clooney's remarks unfortunate.