Mass Shootings/Gun Control Reform Thread

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Mass Shootings/Gun Control Reform Thread

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:44 pm i.e. not much has changed in Ohio...
KKK city in a KKK state.

But which one of them AREN’T KKK states :problem:

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

Right, there are parts of Southern California which are hard to distinguish from the rust belt, except in climate.

They routinely distribute Klan flyers in Huntington Beach, aka the Surf City of song and story.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:14 pm I was in Akron when I was like 9 years old. It was still the classic US industrial city, where they made tires for Detroit cars. It had the rich white owner class up in Goodyear Heights, and the workers, including many people of color, in the ultra-polluted East Akron neighborhood where the tire factories were.

Having never been far from where the only factories made movies, it was quite the revelation for me. My parents explained it to me the best they could, but mostly I remember that it was not a happy place.

The infamous Cuyahoga River, the one that caught fire, runs right through Akron. I never forgot the thing. It was still full of oil slicks, dead animals, rotting garbage, sewage, used rubbers, drug paraphernalia, and various foul-smelling materials that you didn't want to know anything about. I understand they've cleaned it up since. I sure hope so.

The cops were there to keep the poor and Black in their place. They were armed and dangerous. One was advised to have as little to do with them as possible if you knew what was good for you.

Apparently any changes to this arrangement have been for the worse. Keep the racial situation, keep the slums, keep the classism, close the factories, and add high unemployment to the toxic brew. Poor Midwest.

It’s a Democratic city in a Democratic county.

It’s a state with one Democratic Senator and very soon to be two.

It’s a state with more registered Democrats the Republicans.

It’s a state that both President Clinton and President Obama carried twice.

And if the party hadn’t put forth Hillary and Joe it wouldn’t have been carried twice by trump.

Get your head outa the past.
bird

Post by bird »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:35 pm It’s a Democratic city in a Democratic county.

It’s a state with one Democratic Senator and very soon to be two.

It’s a state with more registered Democrats the Republicans.

It’s a state that both President Clinton and President Obama carried twice.

And if the party hadn’t put forth Hillary and Joe it wouldn’t have been carried twice by trump.

Get your head outa the past.
I live in Ohio. Get your head out of something else. It went for Trump because enough Ohioans are idiots. I live in Portage county which is solid red except for Kent. The idiots elected Gym fucking Jordan. They elected Dewine. They elected Rob lying sack of shit Portman. They elected Josh Mandel for crying out loud. They elected Dave Yost who never met a Republican talking point he didn’t like as attorney general.

Don’t give me this bullshit. And, yeah, the state is fucking gerrymandered. In fact, the Ohio Supreme Court rejected Republican redistricting maps at least three times so the Republicans just said that they didn’t care and were going through with what they had anyway in violation of the state constitution, iirc.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:35 pm Get your head outa the past.
It’s not a matter of “Democrats” and “Republicans,” it’s a problem of white conservatism. You guys carry over elements of the past into the present, like vote suppression, police brutality, and the structural racism conservative whites are infamous for.

Get used to people talking about both the past and the present.

I don’t care how conservative whites feel about when we talk about your shitty histories.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

I stayed with someone who was an active member in good standing of the Akron Republican Club. Said Akron woman mailed us Republican campaign materials for ten years after said visit. She never stopped trying to convert us.

IIRC, I believe that Portage County is the next one over from Summit, where Akron is. I remember them being really into that portage story, something to do with a land trade route between two rivers.

At the time I got the idea that, once you got away from the factories, it was pretty solidly red country, run by white boys with privileged backgrounds. It was my curse to be politically aware even at that early age, and yes, I do remember such things. Now, I could of course be wrong, but I don't see much in the news that would change my opinion.

And now the factories are gone. I went through East Akron with Google Street View to make sure before I asserted same, and they are, with only a few exceptions. There went the biggest employers in town. The Goodyear complex on Market St. and surrounding areas is down to the research department. Even the blimp hangar seems to be a different company now. (I think Goodyear blimps are now custom built for them by an outside contractor, and in fact the new ones are semirigid airships and closer to Zeppelins than blimps.)

Anything else about Ohio, well, I will take the word of people that actually live there.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Said Akron woman mailed us Republican campaign materials for ten years after said visit. She never stopped trying to convert us.

GOP is a cult.
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:56 am Right, there are parts of Southern California which are hard to distinguish from the rust belt, except in climate.

They routinely distribute Klan flyers in Huntington Beach, aka the Surf City of song and story.
On January 14th, the Brea School Board will vote on the controversial question of changing the name of Fanning Elementary School, because it is alleged that William Fanning, the school’s namesake, was a member of the Ku Klux Klan during the 1920s (along with many prominent Orange Countians).

In order to give some much-needed historical context, and to better understand this strange and disturbing topic (the Ku Klux Klan in Orange County in the 1920s), I spent my winter break reading the definitive work on the topic, a 700-page doctoral dissertation entitled The Invisible Government and the Viable Community: The Ku Klux Klan in Orange County, California During the 1920s by Christopher Cocoltchos. I present here a summary of what I learned.
Take Brea, for example. According to Cocoltchos, “Five of the town’s first eight mayors were Klansmen as were six of the ten councilmen who sat on the board of trustees from 1924 to 1936. Klansmen dominated the other civic offices during these years, providing 50% of the city’s treasurers, 25% of the city’s engineers, 50% of its city clerks, 50% of it city marshals, and 67% of its fire chiefs.”

And then there was Fullerton: “Councilman W.A. Moore, Judge French, and Superintendent of Schools Plummer [yes, that Louis Plummer] joined the Klan in the latter part of 1923, and R.A. Mardsen entered in mid-1924. Civic leaders were especially eager to join. Seven of the eighteen councilmen who served on the council between 1918 and 1930 were Klansmen,” writes Cocoltchos.

But the real hot-spot of KKK activity in the OC was Anaheim. On the night of July 29th, 1924, in the city that would become home to The Happiest Place on Earth, this went down:

“Anaheim, now advertised nationally as a model Klan city, was chosen as the site for one of the largest Klan gatherings ever held in California. On the night of July 29, up to 20,000 persons from as far away as Bakersfield, San Bernadino, and San Diego gathered in Anaheim City Park to witness the initiation of over 1,000 new Klansmen. The ceremonies began with a parade from the nearby Santa Fe station…Led by the 75 piece Los Angeles Klan Marching Band, a long line of robed Klansmen, walking five abreast, solemnly proceeded down the Main Street and through the business section, to the tune of ‘Onward Christian Soldiers.’
More long-standing KKK/Citizens Council/Republican strongholds, though some are at least light blue, Dow whatever that’s worth. :problem:
In fact, there were actually two Klans in Orange County—a small and relatively ineffective one that lasted from around 1920-1922 (it had about 200 members), and a much larger and more effective one that achieved real social and political power in 1924. This Klan was led by the charismatic Reverend Leon Myers, pastor of the First Christian Church in Anaheim.

“To Myers, the moral fervor of evangelical Protestant Christianity compelled the creation and maintenance of a more moral sense of community,” writes Cocoltchos, “Myers moralistic missionary tendencies were the heart of his character.”

Myers assumed charge of his Anaheim congregation in late June, 1922 and he “gained an aura of authority because of his ability to evoke strong feelings of inner conviction and commitment in his congregation.”

Under Myers’ leadership at the First Christian Church, four of seven members of the lay board of trustees became Klansmen as did three of six elders and seven of the twelve deacons.

On February 13, 1923, the Klan visited a sermon given by evangelist C.L. Vawter at Myers’ church: “A silent hooded procession to the altar presented the minister with a donation and a letter of gratitude…Vawter then praised the hooded order, and he read the letter to the congregation: ‘Wrong rules the land and waiting justice sleeps. God give us men! Men who serve not for selfish booty, but real men, courageous, who flinch not at duty…Then wrongs will be redressed, and right will rule the land.’”

In the next couple of months KKK crosses were burned in Anaheim, Fullerton, and Yorba Linda to alert the general populace to the Klan’s existence.
Much more in link.

There’s a reason these conservative whites don’t want their great grandchildren learning about white-con history, and start screeching about living in the past. They still have those same attitudes and don’t want kids to know they can beat them back, like they were beaten back before.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

Gunman kills 3 in Indiana mall before being fatally shot by armed bystander: What we know

....The guns were purchased at a Greenwood store March 8 and 9, according to authorities. The 20-year-old used a Sig Sauer Model 400 rifle and brought two additional weapons in a backpack that remained in the food court. He fired 24 rounds......
....James Arthur said he was in the mall with his wife and four children when he heard what sounded like 20 rounds go off. He said the shots were fired rapidly, and it "sounded like a big gun."

He said they thought it was a joke until people started running. The family was separated in the chaos as people fled, and Arthur said one of his children saw a body on the ground.......
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Uvalde schools look to fire Chief Arredondo after shooting
The move to potentially fire the chief follows the release of a damning 80-page report by a Texas House committee that blamed all levels of law enforcement for a slow and chaotic response. The report found that 376 law enforcement officers massed at the school, with more than half coming from state and federal agencies, but that they “failed to adhere to their active shooter training, and they failed to prioritize saving innocent lives over their own safety.”

According to the committee, Arredondo told lawmakers he didn’t consider himself the on-scene commander in charge and that his priority was to protect children in other classrooms. The committee report called that decision a “terrible, tragic mistake.”........
what 376 militarized police officers couldnt stop could have been avoided altogether simply by not making those type weapons available to the public for sale. noone having to face down an armed 20something, no children murdered, noone getting fired from their jobs and none of that terrible terrible hurt that visible hurt that you can see in the faces of loved ones, or the fear heard in the voices leading up to the shooting. "Get in your room get in your room"
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqNSxqbsAi0

Rep. Jayapal on Recent Death Threat & Gun Violence Epidemic: Take Away Tools of Violent Racists
We speak with Congressmember Pramila Jayapal, chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, after a man was arrested on suspicion of hate crime after neighbors said he allegedly pointed a gun at her home and threatened to kill her. He was found outside of her home last Saturday night with a .40-caliber handgun yelling "Go back to India. I'm going to kill you," and has since been released from jail as prosecutors say they lack evidence to bring a hate crime case against him, though his weapons have been seized. Jayapal is the first Indian American woman to serve in the House of Representatives. "We need to take away the tools from people who just find it too easy these days to express their hatred, their white supremacy, their racism in violent ways," says Japayal, who blames the violence against her in part on former President Trump's boosting of right-wing extremism.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

David Hogg, Parkland survivor, was kicked out of a House gun control meeting, because when Rep. Andy Biggs spoke, he said he needed his AR-15 because of all the undocumented migrants "invading" his state. Hogg told him that's the same "logic" many recent mass shooters used in their supposed manifestoes. So they kicked him out of the chamber.

https://news.yahoo.com/parkland-survivo ... 29406.html

First off, like Randi Rhodes often says, the truth hurts, I guess, because it's the truth.
Second, at least finally somebody says the quiet part out loud - they are excellent tools for hunting humans (which, BTW, migrants, still are, with human rights, not to be murdered in cold blood, just saying Rep. Biggs).
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:17 pm David Hogg, Parkland survivor, was kicked out of a House gun control meeting, because when Rep. Andy Biggs spoke, he said he needed his AR-15 because of all the undocumented migrants "invading" his state. Hogg told him that's the same "logic" many recent mass shooters used in their supposed manifestoes. So they kicked him out of the chamber.

https://news.yahoo.com/parkland-survivo ... 29406.html

First off, like Randi Rhodes often says, the truth hurts, I guess, because it's the truth.
Second, at least finally somebody says the quiet part out loud - they are excellent tools for hunting humans (which, BTW, migrants, still are, with human rights, not to be murdered in cold blood, just saying Rep. Biggs).
Andy Biggs is another GOP WN.

He is spewing replacement theory.

I can't wait for these white cons to go start screaming at school boards about making sure great replacement theory isn't taught in public schools.

:problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRmSq0f7pJ0
He Was Almost a School Shooter. What Stopped Him?

Aaron Stark provides a unique perspective on America’s gun violence epidemic -- from inside the mind of a potential school shooter. As he explains in an article for the Washington Post, Stark was prevented from committing a massacre 25 years ago, when he was a teenager. Now a mental health advocate, Stark joins Michel Martin to discuss his past and what can be done to prevent these attacks.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

9-year-old survived attack that killed his family while camping at Maquoketa Caves

Three family members were shot and killed while camping in an eastern Iowa state park Friday, and the suspected gunman died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Officers responded to reports of the shooting at the Maquoketa Caves State Park Campground before 6:30 a.m. Friday, the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation said in a statement. Officers found three people fatally shot in a tent at the campground, DCI assistant director Mitch Mortvedt said.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 127217002/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

2 dead, multiple wounded in shooting at San Pedro park: Officials

Two people were killed and five more were wounded after a shooting at Peck Park in San Pedro Sunday afternoon.

The shooting happened just before 4 p.m. at the park, which is located at 560 N. Western Ave. in San Pedro.

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/multip ... park-lafd/
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Mass sympathy cards for shooting victim families and friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSdzKxv6WBU
When you vote left, you vote right.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Woman fires gun at Dallas airport, taken to hospital after being shot by police, chief says
Police were investigating a woman’s motive for firing a handgun in the air at Dallas Love Field Airport on Monday, which halted flights and sent people scattering toward safety.

The woman, 37, entered the airport’s ticket counter area around 11 a.m. CDT, walked into a bathroom and came out wearing different clothing, said Dallas Police Chief Edgardo Garcia.

She then opened fire, he said.

An officer shot the woman in her "lower extremities" to stop her, Garcia said. Nobody else was injured.

Garcia said the woman was arrested and taken to a hospital. Her name has not been released, and it’s not clear why she fired the shots at the ceiling.......
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU_qn5n0Rp8
Duckworth: Anyone Who’s Ever Carried an AR-15 Into Combat Knows They Have No Place on Our Streets

Following the preventable, horrific Highland Park massacre that claimed the lives of seven Illinoisans on the Fourth of July, U.S. Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) went to the Senate floor and made an impassioned call for additional commonsense gun safety reforms like reinstating the assault weapons ban to get weapons of war off our streets and protect our nation’s children as well as communities across America from senseless gun violence.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Detroit police confirm victim found in basement is Grand Blanc teen Jacob Hills
.....Hills was found dead in a basement of an apartment on Warren, east of Telegraph. Sources say he brought a recently purchased AR-15 with him to the Detroit/Deaborn Heights area, leading to what looks like a possible gun sale gone wrong.

Although Detroit police are not confirming anything regarding motive as of Tuesday, it’s clear that firearm – may have led to what happened to this teen......

Metro Detroit teenager was found shot to death in the basement of a Detroit apartment building
.....Hills’ family members tell Local 4 that they believe the teen was lured to the city so people could steal his AR-15 and money he received for graduating high school. Police reportedly found Hills’ car at a hookah lounge in Dearborn Heights, and the AR-15 he received as a graduation gift was allegedly missing from it.

However, Detroit police do not believe that Hills was “lured” to Detroit as a target......
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

If this is anyone but a white woman, I’ll eat my hat.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:30 pm If this is anyone but a white woman, I’ll eat my hat.
I think she was shot and not killed. So this one could go either way.

Randi show today about guns. Toddler with AK47 on his lap is a gun ad from a gun mfg. wow
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:51 pm I think she was shot and not killed.
Yes exactly.

White woman.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Glennfs »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:14 pm I was in Akron when I was like 9 years old. It was still the classic US industrial city, where they made tires for Detroit cars. It had the rich white owner class up in Goodyear Heights, and the workers, including many people of color, in the ultra-polluted East Akron neighborhood where the tire factories were.

Having never been far from where the only factories made movies, it was quite the revelation for me. My parents explained it to me the best they could, but mostly I remember that it was not a happy place.

The infamous Cuyahoga River, the one that caught fire, runs right through Akron. I never forgot the thing. It was still full of oil slicks, dead animals, rotting garbage, sewage, used rubbers, drug paraphernalia, and various foul-smelling materials that you didn't want to know anything about. I understand they've cleaned it up since. I sure hope so.

The cops were there to keep the poor and Black in their place. They were armed and dangerous. One was advised to have as little to do with them as possible if you knew what was good for you.

Apparently any changes to this arrangement have been for the worse. Keep the racial situation, keep the slums, keep the classism, close the factories, and add high unemployment to the toxic brew. Poor Midwest.
I am going to give you a break because you were 9.
Goodyear Heights had always been a working class neighborhood. My great uncle Lee who was a milk man for Borden's lived there during the depression and until he retired.
My brother lives there now. It was built so people working at Goodyear could walk to work. Same is true if Firestone Park.
East High School The Orientals was the local school. Firestone Park was Garfield.

The area broke down like this
Buchtel working class blacks
Kenmore white trash
Central poor blacks and poor whites
South poor blacks
Ellet wasps
North Italian
Polish and people from that region lived in the city of barberton.
Us sons of Appalachia lived in the country. With those sick.of the farm heading to places like mogadore

The wealthy folks lived in the Merriman Road area and in Fairlawn.

The Cuyahoga river caught fire in Cleveland not Akron

Finally everyone called Cuyahoga Falls caucasian falls and it wasn't a term of endearment
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:52 pm I am going to give you a break because you were 9.
Goodyear Heights had always been a working class neighborhood. My great uncle Lee who was a milk man for Borden's lived there during the depression and until he retired.
Was he in the Klan?

How do you know?
My brother lives there now. It was built so people working at Goodyear could walk to work. Same is true if Firestone Park.
East High School The Orientals was the local school. Firestone Park was Garfield.

The area broke down like this
Buchtel working class blacks
Kenmore white trash
No person is trash.

Why are so many of you conservative whites so self-loathing that you refer to yourselves and fellow so-called whites in this way?

So weird.
Central poor blacks and poor whites
South poor blacks
Ellet wasps
North Italian
Polish and people from that region lived in the city of barberton.
Us sons of Appalachia lived in the country. With those sick.of the farm heading to places like mogadore

The wealthy folks lived in the Merriman Road area and in Fairlawn.

The Cuyahoga river caught fire in Cleveland not Akron

Finally everyone called Cuyahoga Falls caucasian falls and it wasn't a term of endearment
This kind of segregation was imposed on everyone by conservative white like yourself and the people you admire.

It was and is enforced by the cops, which is why so many of you are so loudly pro-cop.

~ Ida B. Wells