Mass Shootings/Gun Control Reform Thread

News and events of the day
marindem01

Re: Mass Shootings/Gun Control Reform Thread

Post by marindem01 »

Shooting At Houston Flea Market Leaves 2-Dead and 3-Critically Injured.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/crime ... 1e89919e9d
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:09 am He was specifically speaking about how the democratic party wants free thinkers who are on elected or leadership positions replaced with people like you.
Who never question or oppose anything put forth by the left.
This is a classic White Citizen's Council/KKK canard about nonwhite voters that has been around literally since you guys were calling people scalawags and carpetbaggers.

It was the rationale for the mass-disenfranchisement policies implemented by conservative whites against Catholics, Latinos, African Americans, Native Americans, and all non-European immigrants throughout the 19th and 20th centuries. Most virulently and violently against African Americans.

You've also just stated the plot of Birth of A Nation.

You guys have been repeating this same old ideological trash since Reconstruction, into the present hour.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:13 am Just a fucked up person who committed a terrible crime who should be put to death.
I do not support the death penalty in theory and certainly not in practice.

It's just another excuse for you guys to get the government to legally murder nonwhites.

Then you support the Mississippi forced-childbearing law that's going to be ruled on within the next month, but go around calling yourselves "prolife" and "profamily" when the more accurate term for you is "pro killing machines.

:problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ZoWie »

It strongly appears from the events of the weekend, and from the continued festering of the oozing sore called the Internet, that indeed we have come up with a uniquely American solution to the covid pandemic. We will simply all shoot each other, then there won't be a human left to spread it. Just think... no more arguments about masks.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

It's been said by me and others here many times: great replacement, eugenics, Malthusianism, and these other white nationalist ideas peddled by Tucker Carlson in particular are not new.

Thread: Our Population is Too Big - viewtopic.php?p=11688

Thread: The "Replacement Theory" and It's Role In Racial Violence - viewtopic.php?t=775

Post: Why Republicans Won’t Confirm This Renowned Holocaust Scholar - viewtopic.php?p=12950#p12950

Post :?: "The global poor" as "annoying fuckers who won't stop having babies" - viewtopic.php?p=7346#p7346

Importantly, there is a strong line of continuity from the racist, repressive policies of the past directly to Glennfs's and other reactionary posts on these topics, this morning.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:30 am It strongly appears from the events of the weekend, and from the continued festering of the oozing sore called the Internet, that indeed we have come up with a uniquely American solution to the covid pandemic. We will simply all shoot each other, then there won't be a human left to spread it. Just think... no more arguments about masks.
I don't know anyone who can afford to be this glib about mass shootings/mass murders.

For example, the cops in Dallas immediately declared that the shooting of the Koreatown place of business that injured 3 women was not a hate crime when it so obviously was. viewtopic.php?p=24943

NOW it's being investigated as a hate crime :problem: . Dallas shooting at Korean hair salon investigated as hate crime - Axios

My god this is going on in AAPI Heritage Month. :(

Re: the mass shooting at the Presbyterian church, this is something that affects the Taiwanese-American community deeply. Yes it's a Presbyterian/probably majority-white church, but a Taiwanese-Christian congregation rented out space there. (This also happens a lot in San Francisco, where sanctuary space is at a premium if one's church does not have a physical building.)

The shooter is Asian, and there is a lot more to this story.

Church where shooting took place was home away from home for Taiwanese immigrants - LA Times

And while it's true that this Buffalo shooter is a clear case of "being radicalized on the internet," sorry but the internet is not the main culprit here. Conservative whites have been terrorizing immigrant and/or POC neighborhoods with this vigilante violence literally for centuries. This is just this decade's version.

These conservative whites have taken to traveling hundreds of miles to shoot up our neighborhoods. The Dallas and Buffalo mass shootings are by no means the first times. The internet catapults the propaganda. But this propaganda dates back to the Know-Nothing, Reconstruction, and post-Plessy eras.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

ZoWie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:30 am It strongly appears from the events of the weekend, and from the continued festering of the oozing sore called the Internet, that indeed we have come up with a uniquely American solution to the covid pandemic. We will simply all shoot each other, then there won't be a human left to spread it. Just think... no more arguments about masks.
i won't have to worry about voting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSSjv-GuQc
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Truck Driver Wrote: "Just a fucked up person who committed a terrible crime who should be put to death".

So says the man who claims to believe in non-existent, "Right To Life".

IF you, as you claim believe in that right, then you must embrace all aspects of that. The Right To Life is NOT an Empirical Right, it is a Universal Right. All Life has the right to life, just just a select few. Especially when that life is taken by the state. You embrace this right, except when you do not. The state has no more right to tell a Woman what medications and/or surgical procedures she can and cannot have than the state having the to take a life in the of security.

This is a prime example of why the "Right To Life" is scam. These people do NOT believe in the right to life, they cherry pick who does and does not have that based on their own disjoint beliefs.

The Roman Church calls such a belief, (Right To Life) the seamless garment. All Life, even the lives of criminals and bigots like the truck driver have the right to life. If you believe the Pro-Life, then you DO NOT believe War, Torture and Capital Punishment is wrong such practices are NOT right to life. All life matters. The truck driver is picking and choosing who has that right and he cannot do that. IF you accept and believe that right, then that means the the damn thing, not what you cherry pick.

There is not right to life when the state can decide unto it self which life it can take and when.
Last edited by marindem01 on Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I used to go on at length about mass shootings, especially the racist white supremacist replacement ones, but nothing came of it and I decided there were issues like covid precautions where I could make more of a difference while not becoming a target of the whitenat whackos myself.

I don't have all the information about the shooting at the Taiwanese church luncheon (at a rented venue), but it does appear that the shooter was also Asian.

Far as Internet goes, pretty much every time now when there's an especially bad whitenat shooting, they find an Internet trail, and as often as not the shooter was live streaming. The net of course is a tool, and tools can't kill by themselves, but it has certainly helped the usual white supremacists and eliminationists spread their fascist/racist theories to whole classes of impressionable people.

All I'm saying is that we tried the paradigm of a completely free Internet, which I was all for at one time. We seemed to be doing OK with it until the big platforms like farcebook took off, and their AI algorithms were designed to maximize ad views and engagement, and in the resulting marketplace of ideas the crazies and the international state subsidized trolls won that one. The commercial platforms said they'd look into the problem, and Congress said that would be a good idea, and nothing changed because the AI is still oriented toward increasing ad views and hooking users like a bad drug.

Something needs to change or we're headed into the worst period in a century for race and class relations in the US. Think Birth of a Nation/ The Klansman on steroids.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

CDC report: Missouri among nation’s highest for firearm mortality rate
.....Missouri’s 1,426 deaths due to firearms was the 11th most in the country. Texas reported 4,164, followed by California (3,449), Florida (3,041), Georgia (1,897) and Ohio (1,764).

Mississippi had the highest gun death rate at 28.6 per 100,000 people.

The FBI’s data shows a 29.4% increase in homicides between 2019 and 2020, the largest jump the agency has ever recorded.
Like a storm regressive changes in the firearm laws a former police chief running the state and a pandemic in which state and federal governments cared more for business aided business more than people.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Covid hit big in the US around March of 2020. The 2019-2020 jump came before most Americans had ever heard of covid.

I don't know why firearms homicides increased, though obviously covid has put a lot of people over the edge and now it can be added to the list of causes.

It seems to me, subjectively, with no evidence to back it up, that the rise in gun crime coincided more with pressure on the middle class, the rise of the big Internet platforms, the whole trump phenomenon, and the coming of the international disinformation machine that is well documented from the 2016 election. It didn't help that the Republicans put military style semiautomatic rifles back on the streets, but again I caution people not to blame the tools. Plenty of mass shootings were done with multiple handguns.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Part of the problem comes from the republican party whose members keep talking about using their Second Amendment rights if they don't get their way. It's coded talk for justifying killing those who don't agree with you or aren't like they are. It's not hard to see how this type of talk would affect someone on the fringe of society from believing and implementing it.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The second amendment does not say that killing people you don't like is a civil right essential to a free people. The only right it mentions is, "to keep and bear arms," and even that will be debated forever.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:05 pm The second amendment does not say that killing people you don't like is a civil right essential to a free people. The only right it mentions is, "to keep and bear arms," and even that will be debated forever.
While most people understand this the republicans target those who don't with the message that the Second Amendment is the answer to their problems.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I don't know what judicial philosophy to label this under, but while neither a lawyer nor a jurist, I can study history. And as I've said many times, you can compare the 2nd amendment to many similar ones being drafted in state constitutions at the time. That and looking at the Founders' views on things, one can conclude this: the Militia is in the 2nd amendment for a reason, and by well-regulated Militia they did not mean "every neo-Nazi 18 year old kid ready to strap, shoot, and stream". The 2nd amendment is there for one reason: their view at the time was they did not want a standing army, they preferred to have all-volunteer Militias they could call up on a as-need basis, and they did not want anybody interfering with that Militia's ability to muster arms from the local armory.

You have to torture a lot of history and reality to argue what they meant is they wanted every angry mass shooter with a racist grudge to be entitled to as much firepower as they need.

Those claiming it was written so people could be so heavily armed the populace could keep the government itself at bay are reading a different Constitution -- the one I have says one purpose of the Militia is to put down armed insurrections.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

All evidence supports the conclusion that the second amendment indeed does not deconstruct into the notion that it's OK to murder people over imaginary or fanciful threats or gripes. Indeed, the strict construction is pretty clear that the intent was to provide for a "well-ordered militia" in the absence of a huge standing conscript army. Such mass armies were a later development, starting in the next century.

It's well established that much of the instability that led to the American Revolution came from the British monarchy's attempts to disarm the existing militias while also quartering regulars from its own army among civilians. Clearly, the second amendment was not intended to encourage Americans to solve all perceived personal and social problems with lethal force.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:57 pm Except he never said those things
He did say those things, and he says them over, and over. He also has on guest after guest that peddles white genocide and great replacement theories to undereducated conservative whites.

These aren't new theories, by the way. They originated at the turn of last century and have already been implemented in the 20th century as public policy. It's what the Civil Rights movement was formed to combat.

White supremacism and white nationalism is commonplace in the GOP, Republican Party, and run-of-the-mill, undereducated conservative whites.

What are you so defensive about?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:53 pm You having a connection with Buffalo I know this hits you much harder than it normally would.
You really have no idea, but you're a white supremacist who defends other white supremacists. How could you?

Dr. Raven the Science Maven
@ravenscimaven

I took my PhD graduation photos on the east side of Buffalo, a few blocks away from where the mass shooting happened yesterday. There is a beautiful mural there called the Freedom Wall that celebrates people in Black history, including local heroes still with us today 1/

One thing I’ll never forget is everyone in this community stopping at this light as the photographer and I were taking photos. So inspired and happy to see me— rolling down windows, singing praises, dancing, rejoicing. My win was everyone’s. The love in this community is deep 2/

Dr. Raven the Science Maven
@ravenscimaven

https://twitter.com/ravenscimaven/statu ... 0149393409

No, this is not me, so please don't go calling out the hemp rope nightriders against this person.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Dr. Thrasher
@thrasherxy

Noting that in AP copy, 18-yeear-old Michael Brown was an “18-year old Black man,” while 18-year-old Payton Gendron is a “white teenager.”

https://twitter.com/thrasherxy/status/1 ... 5461766144

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Deadly church shooting motivated by Taiwan-China conflict: Police
https://abc30.com/deadly-church-shootin ... /11853891/

The deadly shooting at a church in Laguna Woods, California, on Sunday, was motivated by the political tension between China and Taiwan, authorities said Monday.

One person was killed and five were wounded, four critically, in the shooting inside the Geneva Presbyterian Church, the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

[snip]

Chou is Chinese but an American citizen, officials said. He lived alone in Las Vegas and has a wife and child who are not living in the U.S.

Authorities believe Chou's anger began when he lived in Taiwan, where he felt he was an outsider, and his anti-Taiwan views were not accepted, Barnes said.

Chou's wife and son still live in Taiwan, but Chou has lived alone in the U.S. for many years, Barnes said, adding that Chou's views have become more radical as tensions between China and Taiwan have escalated.

Investigators found writings in Chou's car that described his hatred for Taiwan, Barnes said, adding that they were not a manifesto, but rather "notes." Authorities hypothesize that Chou may have targeted the Orange County church because it was the closest, Barnes said.

[snip][end]
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:25 pm Deadly church shooting motivated by Taiwan-China conflict: Police
https://abc30.com/deadly-church-shootin ... /11853891/

The deadly shooting at a church in Laguna Woods, California, on Sunday, was motivated by the political tension between China and Taiwan, authorities said Monday.

One person was killed and five were wounded, four critically, in the shooting inside the Geneva Presbyterian Church, the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

[snip]

Chou is Chinese but an American citizen, officials said. He lived alone in Las Vegas and has a wife and child who are not living in the U.S.

Authorities believe Chou's anger began when he lived in Taiwan, where he felt he was an outsider, and his anti-Taiwan views were not accepted, Barnes said.

Chou's wife and son still live in Taiwan, but Chou has lived alone in the U.S. for many years, Barnes said, adding that Chou's views have become more radical as tensions between China and Taiwan have escalated.

Investigators found writings in Chou's car that described his hatred for Taiwan, Barnes said, adding that they were not a manifesto, but rather "notes." Authorities hypothesize that Chou may have targeted the Orange County church because it was the closest, Barnes said.

[snip][end]
Seen whole friendships/relationships end over this.

I’ve also wondered what the world non-reaction to Russia/Ukraine has meant for Taiwan-PRC relations. :evil:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 am i won't have to worry about voting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSSjv-GuQc
I’ve heard that dead people have been known to vote in some states.
:lol: :lol:
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:46 pm I’ve heard that dead people have been known to vote in some states.
:lol: :lol:
They’re Republicans.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:53 pm You having a connection with Buffalo I know this hits you much harder than it normally would. .
You'd be surprised who has a connection to this particular neighborhood in Buffalo. The head of the Episcopal Church is another.

Pastoral statement on mass shooting in Buffalo from Episcopal Church Presiding Bishop Michael Curry - The Episcopal Church
My heart is heavy with the news that a white supremacist gunman took the lives of 10 children of God in Buffalo on Saturday. I grew up walking distance from the scene of this hateful crime, and my friends and I used to ride our bikes around the neighborhood. Buffalo’s Black community raised and formed me. I grieve with the city and people I love.

The loss of any human life is tragic, but there was deep racial hatred driving this shooting, and we have got to turn from the deadly path our nation has walked for much too long. Bigotry-based violence—any bigotry at all—against our siblings who are people of color, Jewish, Sikh, Asian, trans, or any other group, is fundamentally wrong. As baptized followers of Jesus of Nazareth, we are called to uphold and protect the dignity of every human child of God, and to actively uproot the white supremacy and racism deep in the heart of our shared life.

Please join me in prayer for the shattered families in Buffalo. Please also join me in expressing profound gratitude for the intervention by Buffalo police that likely saved many other lives. Even amid tragedy, even when manifestations of evil threaten to overwhelm, let us hold fast to the good. It is the only way that leads to life.
I do get that this person is just another stick figure, to folks like you. But you guys have a very warped view of the world.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/rochelleriley/statu ... 0283846660
OMG. Is this how we’re destined to live?