Working the election

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
gounion

Working the election

Post by gounion »

I was an election worker last Tuesday, for the first time. Enjoyed it immensely. Yes, you can go to the board and see that I did some posting that day. I had my ipad and would check in from time to time during breaks in the action.

It's a job that does pay, a whole $15 an hour. First honest work I've done in a year and half! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lots of stay-at-home moms and retirees work the elections, and we're the backbone of our democratic system. It was a bit of a long day - had to be there at 5:45, polls opened at 7 AM and closed at 7 PM. Got out of there at ten till 8.

I know some folks have served during elections, and I just urge everyone to do so if they can. It it a great way to be a living part of our democracy.
marindem01

Re: Working the election

Post by marindem01 »

I would still be doing it if the doc said yes. But she is rather emphatic about not doing so, I admit I miss it.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Re: Working the election

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:03 pm I was an election worker last Tuesday, for the first time. Enjoyed it immensely. Yes, you can go to the board and see that I did some posting that day. I had my ipad and would check in from time to time during breaks in the action.

It's a job that does pay, a whole $15 an hour. First honest work I've done in a year and half! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lots of stay-at-home moms and retirees work the elections, and we're the backbone of our democratic system. It was a bit of a long day - had to be there at 5:45, polls opened at 7 AM and closed at 7 PM. Got out of there at ten till 8.

I know some folks have served during elections, and I just urge everyone to do so if they can. It it a great way to be a living part of our democracy.
I worked the polls from 2005 through 2016. I'd receive the lists of voters in the mail about a week before the election and I'd go through the list and count how many voters were on the active voter rolls. I'd also count how many were listed as vote-by-mail
and once that figure reached 75% I decided to "retire" from working the polls. In the 2018 elections, 62% of the voters in the county were vote-by-mail and the county decreased the number of polling locations and consolidating them into super polling locations. Because of COVID, in 2020 88% were vote-by-mail

For those who are interested in working the polls, it will be a long day but it can be fun depending upon the people you work with. Of course, there are those who come into the polls and think they are allowed to campaign for votes but I always put a quick end to that in a polite, but firm manner. If you do work the polls, bring a book, newspaper, crossword puzzles, etc. because there will be slow times where you'll be bored silly. I would bring my iPad with me and I'd have the Registrar of Voter's website bookmarked so when a voter wasn't on my poll list I could look up their name and find their polling location. Also, with the iPad I could read all my news sites as well.
When you vote left, you vote right.