The Supremes: Our board conservatives are SHOCKED!!!

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: The Supremes: Our board conservatives are SHOCKED!!!

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:47 am Don’t Let Samuel Alito Fool You: Ending Abortion Isn’t About Protecting Black Life
https://sports.yahoo.com/don-t-let-samu ... 58394.html

Along with the faulty science, dated legal precedent and partisan claims in Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito’s draft opinion ending abortion rights, he included a pernicious myth: Abortion is Black genocide.
If abortion were really "Black genocide," conservative white extremists like Alito and the anti-aborts around here would be full-chested for it.

Back before I realized American conservatism is a death-driven cult of Know-Nothingism, I bought into this trash.

But what one learns is that antiabortion white-conservative ideologues are merely following in the footsteps of their slavedriving relatives. The very idea of reproductive autonomy for women -- particularly Black women enslaved or free -- drove them to eliminationist violence.

Then these same noose-knotters claim to be advocates of "life."

Rightwing women don't even have an interest in their own lives. :problem:

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

McConnell says national abortion ban ‘possible’

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in an interview with USA Today a national abortion ban is “possible” if Roe v. Wade gets overturned this summer.

“If the leaked opinion became the final opinion, legislative bodies — not only at the state level but at the federal level — certainly could legislate in that area,” McConnell told USA Today when asked if a national abortion ban is “worthy of debate.”

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3480725 ... -possible/
Drak

Post by Drak »

Who was crying about government overreach?

https://www.businessinsider.com/arizona ... rol-2022-5
landmark U.S. Supreme Court ruling that protects married couples' ability to obtain and use birth control is "constitutionally unsound," according to Republican Senator Marsha Blackburn.
https://www.newsweek.com/blackburn-says ... nd-1690259

https://www.newsweek.com/national-abort ... ll-1704541

https://www.fox6now.com/news/mcconnell- ... overturned
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ap215 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:07 am McConnell says national abortion ban ‘possible’

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in an interview with USA Today a national abortion ban is “possible” if Roe v. Wade gets overturned this summer.

“If the leaked opinion became the final opinion, legislative bodies — not only at the state level but at the federal level — certainly could legislate in that area,” McConnell told USA Today when asked if a national abortion ban is “worthy of debate.”

https://thehill.com/news/senate/3480725 ... -possible/
Smaller, limited, lighter, leaner conservative government.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:40 pm Again I know it is immoral and ends a human life. But, because it had been with us for 50 years I am opposed to ending it.
You are a liar.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:45 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MalsOLSFvX0

6;50 in.
Oliver's takedown is spot-on. It's hilarious to hear our conservative pretending to be surprised at this - it's what they wanted for decades, and what they've worked towards.

And make no mistake - this isn't the end. They aren't going to set back and say "okay, it's up to the states now, our work is done."

No, they want not only to make abortion illegal in all cases, but they want it to be MURDER. And make no mistake, if you have a miscarriage, you're then going to be suspected of murder, unless you can prove otherwise. Here's one woman's frightening case:
"I went to the doctor because I had a lot of pain in my lower back and pelvis, and had been nauseous for weeks," Parrish started her thread. "A blood test confirmed I was pregnant – until that point, I didn’t know."

She continued:

Getting pregnant is one of my worst fears. I have nightmares about being pregnant, about being forced to have something grow inside me, and having to tear myself apart to bring it into the world.

The doctor brought me in to do an ultrasound, and confirmed that I had been pregnant, and wasn’t any longer. I’d miscarried, and that was where the pain and blood was coming from.

The doctor asked me about pregnancy, going into consolation mode. They asked me if I’d been trying to get pregnant, if I’d been pregnant before. I told them I had been pregnant, once before.

The doctor asked Parrish how many children she had, and when she responded that she had none because she had had an abortion when she was 19 years old, she wrote that “the conversation shifted dramatically.” She said the doctor questioned if she had taken a list of drugs in the last six weeks, asked what she had been doing and if she intentionally injured herself.

"Intentionally or not, it felt like I’d become a suspect in the death of something I didn’t know existed," Parrish said on Twitter. “Eventually, it stopped. They were satisfied that I hadn’t known I was pregnant and induced an illegal abortion in Texas. I left, though not without the fear that because I’d gone for medical help, I’d now be reported, per Texas law.”
And they won't stop at abortion, either. They'll work to make contraception illegal, too. Because it's NOT about life, it's about sexual control of women. Period.

They'll work to overturn every case that used the right to privacy in the Constitution, because they don't believe you have a right to privacy in your own bedroom with consenting adults.

Gay marriage will be in their gunsights next, and every one of our conservatives will once again be shock - SHOCKED! - that the Supreme Court they fought so hard for would do such a thing.

Which is pure bullshit. They know what they wanted, and their exultant over what's happening.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

A Con who supports the Death Penalty IS NOT PRO-LIFE.

A Con who supports Torture IS NO PRO-LIFE.

A Cons who supports War IS NOT PRO-LIFE.

Life does NOT begin at Conception.

The shock of Cons over the "Leak" of this decision ignore the fact that Cons want to take the right to privacy of a woman wanting an abortion, it is her decision, NOT the state.

Cons cheered on the Traitor when asked to hack HRC's emails, a violation of HRC's privacy.

Cons are allowed "Smaller Government", execpt when come to a Woman's Right To Choose, then the government can do any damn thing it wants.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:45 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MalsOLSFvX0

6;50 in.
What's this?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

"Life begins at conception" is an imposition of conservative Christian theology on those who are

* atheist

* non-conservative Christian

* non-Christian

* any other religion...and we have all major world religions in this country.

Conservative whites and other of these conservative authoritarians think they have a right to minority rule.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

If the SC does overturn this ruling i really hope this will give us a massive boost in the midterms

gounion

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pmWhat's this?
A YouTube video of John Oliver's HBO take on the Supreme Court Roe leak. Worth watching.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Biologically and scientifically, the statement is false.

The sperm and ovum that united were both alive prior to fertilization.

Is the resulting zygote a human life? After all, that is the relevant question. Without getting into issues of animal rights, most of our laws deal with the protection of human life. You will not be charged with murder for squashing an insect.

I think what we can say is it is something in the process of becoming human life - potential, as it were.

All I will add is look at the periods at the end of each of these sentences. A fertilized zygote is smaller in size than any of them. You can't see it without an electron microscope.

Also, spontaneous failures to implant in the uterus of fertilized zygotes occur routinely, probably millions of times a year.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:27 pm Biologically and scientifically, the statement is false.

The sperm and ovum that united were both alive prior to fertilization.

Is the resulting zygote a human life? After all, that is the relevant question. Without getting into issues of animal rights, most of our laws deal with the protection of human life. You will not be charged with murder for squashing an insect.

I think what we can say is it is something in the process of becoming human life - potential, as it were.

All I will add is look at the periods at the end of each of these sentences. A fertilized zygote is smaller in size than any of them. You can't see it without an electron microscope.

Also, spontaneous failures to implant in the uterus of fertilized zygotes occur routinely, probably millions of times a year.
Why don't they just criminalize wombs in general. Women have heavy periods all the time, which if you're sexually active with sperm-owners, could be a miscarriage. They're looking to criminalize those, too.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:49 pm Why don't they just criminalize wombs in general. Women have heavy periods all the time, which if you're sexually active with sperm-owners, could be a miscarriage. They're looking to criminalize those, too.
Yes, they are. They call it MURDER. If a woman has a miscarriage, she will be automatically suspected of murder. Say she's an athlete, and if she exercised heavily, not knowing she was pregnant, they will accuse her of purposefully causing the "death" of the "baby".

It's all about sexual control of women.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Senator Susan Collins (R-Maine) Call Cops Over Chalked Message About Abortion Rights.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/susan-co ... ad0d82470e.

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) called the police on Saturday over a chalk drawing on a public sidewalk by her home that politely asked the Maine Republican to protect abortion rights by codifying Roe v. Wade.

Police in Bangor, Maine, responded Saturday night to investigate the water-soluble message that asked Collins to support the Women’s Health Protection Act, which effectively keeps abortion rights legal at the federal level in the event that the Supreme Court overturns the 1973 ruling guaranteeing abortion access.

Susie, please... Mainers want WHPA —> vote yes, clean up your mess,” the message read, according to the police report. The message was first reported Monday by the Bangor Daily News, which said the chalk drawing was not visible by Monday afternoon.

Collins told the newspaper that she was “grateful” to police and the city’s public works employee “who responded to the defacement of public property in front of our home.”

Where oh fucking where is "Susie" when Woman seeking their Constitutionally Protected Right To Abortion are harassed and threatened outside Women's Health Care Clinic or the home of the staff of those Clinics? Seems her outrage is non-existent on that.....no surprise there...she is after a spineless Republican.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 2:52 pm Yes, they are. They call it MURDER. If a woman has a miscarriage, she will be automatically suspected of murder. Say she's an athlete, and if she exercised heavily, not knowing she was pregnant, they will accuse her of purposefully causing the "death" of the "baby".

It's all about sexual control of women.
Yes. Sexual control of women because it’s they who are out of control.

The conservative men around here are aligned with this freak, in both ideology, and certainly in their vote.

“You have no choice. Not your choice, not your body, your body is mine.”

This is where we are headed folks!

[VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/amy_siskind/status/ ... 9994156035

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

The cover of the most recent issue of the Lancet.

It is not per se a political publication; you may know the Lancet is one of the world's oldest and most prestigious peer reviewed medical journals.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

On another track of the GOP's plan for a sexual police state in America, The Texas Supreme Court ruled that "investigations" into the families of trans children can continue:
The Texas Supreme Court has reversed an injunction that stopped the state from investigating parents of transgender children for child abuse, but upheld the injunction for the one family that sued the State.

In March, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton issued opinions and letters, urging the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) to investigate parents who, at the direction of health care professionals, provide medical treatment to their adolescent transgender children.

The lawsuit in question shortly followed. The court opinion states that the plaintiffs are a married couple who's child is diagnosed with gender dysphoria and a doctor who treats children with similar diagnoses. The group sued the governor, the DFPS commissioner and DFPS, challenging the directive and the DFPS's authority to investigate their use of medical treatments deemed unlawful by Abbott.
Conservatives are going after trans people just like they did gays for years. Forcing people underground.

So much for "freedom".
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:48 pm On another track of the GOP's plan for a sexual police state in America, The Texas Supreme Court ruled that "investigations" into the families of trans children can continue:

Conservatives are going after trans people just like they did gays for years. Forcing people underground.

So much for "freedom".
Yes it’s special rights for conservative whites, and second class citizenship for the rest of us.

In the US at least, we are tightly united with our trans siblings, friends, parents, colleagues, etc. Trans rights are everyone’s rights.

And, it should be noted, conservatives have NEVER let up on their onslaught against samesex marriage and LGBTQ in the military.

It’s part of their anti-CRT freakouts.

We also have the TERFs here, and in the UK, the divide is much more intense.

But, being old-school colonizers, it takes the UK a lot longer than us on civil rights.

They may catch up, they probably will. But as in everything civil rights, were the world’s lead on this, including the left-liberal voices in trans rights. The TERFS like Martina Navratilova are allied with the rightwing conservative organizations who work to end all LGBTQ civil rights.

Oh and so is Caitlyn Jenner. :?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Thousands in U.S. march under 'Ban Off Our Bodies' banner for abortion rights
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-abo ... 022-05-14/

WASHINGTON, May 14 (Reuters) - Thousands of abortion rights supporters rallied across the United States on Saturday, angered by the prospect that the Supreme Court may soon overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade decision that legalized abortion nationwide a half century ago.

[snip]

Protesters marching under the slogan "Bans Off Our Bodies" took to the streets from New York and Atlanta to Chicago and Los Angeles in a show of outrage that Democrats hope will help galvanize support for their party and blunt projected Republican gains in the November elections.

The day's largest demonstration unfolded in Washington, where a crowd that organizers estimated at 20,000 people massed at the Washington Monument and braved a light drizzle to march along the National Mall past the U.S. Capitol to the Supreme Court itself.

[snip][end]
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Ban on Protests in Front of Homes Signed by Gov. DeSantis
People who protest in front of private residences in Florida can face jail time and fines under a bill signed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis.
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... v-desantis

ALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Anyone who protests in front of a private residence in Florida can face jail time and fines under a bill Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis signed Monday.

The legislation makes it a second-degree misdemeanor to protest in a manner that is aimed at intentionally harassing or disturbing someone in their home. Violators face 60 days in jail and fines of up to $500.

[snip][end]

The new nickname they are starting to call him is dePutin.

Now look - do I think it's appropriate to protest in front of justices' or public officials' homes? ... my answer ... why not? Now the only thing I would say is I wouldn't do it in a way that is loud and noisy if small children are in the home, and could frighten them. If you are on the sidewalk, that is public space, as long as you are not invading their private property, and no, I don't think it's appropriate to burn crosses or any items on their lawn. But again, protesters were not doing that. As long as they are not committing vandalism, property damage, trespass, home invasion, or harassment, there is nothing unconstitutional or illegal about doing this.

Or at least it wasn't illegal in FL, until now.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

"For whatever reason"?

Say, Sen. Cassidy, you ever stopped to wonder if that "reason" might have to do with structural racial inequalities in health care? I mean, I know that topic is forbidden in K-12 in LA. but we can talk about it here. :roll:
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

For whatever reason, you Senator, are a fucking racist asshole. And there are people ON THIS BOARD who would vote for you in a HEARTBEAT :twisted:
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:01 am Image

"For whatever reason"?

Say, Sen. Cassidy, you ever stopped to wonder if that "reason" might have to do with structural racial inequalities in health care? I mean, I know that topic is forbidden in K-12 in LA. but we can talk about it here. :roll:
"If you correct our population for race ... "

These vile conservative whites aren't even hiding it anymore.

~ Ida B. Wells