Draft: SC Vote to Overturn Roe

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: Draft: SC Vote to Overturn Roe

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:32 am When are they going to start going after women who have had legal abortions in the past?
You can bet at some point they'll try to get Planned Parenthood's records.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

BTW, they are already trying to get location data that shows who goes to abortion clinics.

Phone location data from people who visited abortion clinics, including Planned Parenthood, was legally on sale for $160, report says
https://www.businessinsider.com/planned ... ays-2022-5

Vice paid a broker $160 for a dataset that contained location data from Planned Parenthood branches.
This included location data from 600 Planned Parenthoods, some of which provided abortion services.
This poses a privacy risk to clinics and to people seeking abortions.

[snip][end]

Safegraph, the data broker, has already said they will stop selling this data. Bully for them, but i bet they are not the only data brokers doing this.

Yep, the Brave New World is here. We already have states putting 10K "bounties" on women who seek abortions. And now we have Big Data data brokers which will help you hunt them down.

Of course, you might have visited a Planned Parenthood just to get contraceptives or other health services, but ... these people aren't known for their attention to subtleties.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Drak

Post by Drak »

ProfX wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:14 am Another thing I'm not surprised about.

[from Twitter - don't need to pay Elon Musk for excerpting from it - yet]
Mark Joseph Stern@mjs_DC - May 4, 2022
Here is Louisiana’s new fetal personhood bill—which House Republicans just voted out of committee 7–2—making abortion a crime of homicide “from the moment of fertilization” and allowing prosectors to charge patients with murder. https://legiscan.com/LA/text/HB813/id/2 ... oduced.pdf

Mark Joseph Stern@mjs_DC
Republicans told us for years that they would never punish women who get abortions. Now that Roe’s about to fall, they’re racing to authorize the arrest, prosecution, and imprisonment of abortion patients for murder.
[end]

Yep, Trump stumbled over this when Chris Matthews asked him this. (Might have something to do with being pro-choice until he realized he needed evangelical Qnuts to win.) He said "the women have to face some penalty".

Got that? Well look, like I said, if you argue abortion is murder, then women getting abortions should be charged with murder. No? Maybe in the biggest of ironies, they could receive the death penalty. Very "pro life". One follows from the other. (I of course don't think abortion is murder - I'm just saying IF YOU DO, this is where your "logic" leads.)

So I will admit it's strange that so-called pro-life politicians like Rick Scott won't commit to this. But at least - sadly - looks like Louisiana will. Women having abortions will be charged with homicide. "From fertilization". I guess this also makes every miscarriage a potential crime scene.
Coming back to this. I gotta say, this is 100 percent, BATSHIT CRAZY. The majority of Americans are for a women's right to choose and autonomy over their own bodies. This is something straight out of hell. Homicide charges for aborting after fertilization. By god. Something you'd see in a fucked up loony country ruled by theocratic extremists. Republicans don't believe in freedom. To Republicans, freedom is about control, abuse and inhumanity. They are not pro life. They are pro death and suffering.

When the minority rules over the majority and the will of the people, it's straight up fascism, which is what were seeing in the SC, that leads to this insane nuttery.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:44 pm Coming back to this. I gotta say, this is 100 percent, BATSHIT CRAZY. The majority of Americans are for a women's right to choose and autonomy over their own bodies. This is something straight out of hell. Homicide charges for aborting after fertilization. By god. Something you'd see in a fucked up loony country ruled by theocratic extremists. Republicans don't believe in freedom. To Republicans, freedom is about control, abuse and inhumanity. They are not pro life. They are pro death and suffering.

When the minority rules over the majority and the will of the people, it's straight up fascism, which is what were seeing in the SC, that leads to this insane nuttery.
Drak, it's simply part of the plan. They want one of these bills to become law, to send it to the Supreme Court. That would then make it easy for the Court to declare that, under our Constitution, life begin at conception, and any taking of that life is a murder.

Now, 30% of pregnancies end naturally in miscarriage. So, they want a world where, if you have one, you'd be arrested for suspicion of murder. And they would try to prove that you did something, say, drinking a beer or exercising, that CAUSED that miscarriage, so they could throw you in prison for murdering that child.
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:38 pm Drak, it's simply part of the plan. They want one of these bills to become law, to send it to the Supreme Court. That would then make it easy for the Court to declare that, under our Constitution, life begin at conception, and any taking of that life is a murder.

Now, 30% of pregnancies end naturally in miscarriage. So, they want a world where, if you have one, you'd be arrested for suspicion of murder. And they would try to prove that you did something, say, drinking a beer or exercising, that CAUSED that miscarriage, so they could throw you in prison for murdering that child.
The GOP has become so anti democratic that they’re going to have to go hardcore with rigging elections across the board in order to maintain power. Of course, that’s always been the plan.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Surprising no one, the draft reflected today's decision.

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, ending 50 years of federal abortion rights
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/24/roe-v-w ... ights.html

Roe v. Wade had permitted abortions during the first two trimesters of pregnancy in the U.S. since 1973.
Almost half the states are expected to outlaw or severely restrict abortion as a result of the Supreme Court’s decision.
Roe was overturned in the court’s ruling on Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization.

The Supreme Court in a 6-3 decision on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that established the constitutional right to abortion in the U.S. in 1973.

The court’s controversial but expected ruling gives individual states the power to set their own abortion laws without concern of running afoul of Roe, which for nearly half a century had permitted abortions during the first two trimesters of pregnancy.

Almost half the states are expected to outlaw or severely restrict abortion as a result of the Supreme Court’s decision. Other states plan to maintain more liberal rules governing the termination of pregnancies.

“The Constitution does not confer a right to abortion; Roe and Casey are overruled; and the authority to regulate abortion is returned to the people and their elected representatives,” a syllabus of the opinion said.

Justice Samuel Alito, as expected, wrote the majority opinion that tossed out Roe. He was joined in that judgment by the five other conservatives on the high court, including Chief Justice John Roberts.

“It is time to heed the Constitution and return the issue of abortion to the people’s elected representatives,” Alito wrote.

The court’s three liberal justices filed a dissenting opinion to the ruling.

[snip][end]

Welcome to the post-Roe world. :|
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Take a real hard look America is this the party you want to vote for in the midterms in November & run The Government they just made 2 bad SC Rulings in 2 days.

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

#prolife
#profamily
#procovid
#prorape

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

i guess we rushed woman's rights?

The State's Rights battle cry is getting old. i thought we'd taken care of such bullshit years ago.........
https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speech ... 48dnc.html
My friends, to those who say that we are rushing this issue of civil rights, I say to them we are 172 years late. To those who say that this civil-rights program is an infringement on states’ rights, I say this: The time has arrived in America for the Democratic Party to get out of the shadow of states' rights and to walk forthrightly into the bright sunshine of human rights. People -- human beings -- this is the issue of the 20th century. People of all kinds -- all sorts of people -- and these people are looking to America for leadership, and they’re looking to America for precept and example.
The U.S. took two giant steps backwards today. As young as the court is, it doesn't bode well for the near future.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]