Thor Love & Thunder

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

Thor Love & Thunder

Post by ProfX »

Trailer Drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog9HY_uGeo

Yeah, it's Multi-Madness that's grabbing all the media oxygen. WHO ARE THE CAMEOS? Deadpool? Wolverine? Jean Grey? Reed Richards? Prof X!?! :D "Superior" Iron Man? Captain Marvel? Captain Carter? Loki? Kang? Some version of Spidey (but will anybody remember him? Maybe in another universe!) Who's the big villain (besides or behind Wanda, anyway?) Chthon, Mephisto, Nightmare? How many versions of himself will Strange run into? :mrgreen:

But we finally get a trailer for "Love & Thunder". What I get from this:

Thor is still questioning where he wants to find his place in the universe. We can see his original idea of hitching a ride with Quill & the Guardians may not be working for him. He seems tired of war, he plants Bjarnborn/Stormbreaker in the dirt. However, he has shed the excess "Fat Thor" pounds, and looks like Rocket may have made him a nice artificial eye. Meanwhile, Valkyrie also looks tired of being Queen of New Asgard, all it's getting her is boring meetings with bureaucrats. And there's Korg! Awesome, Korg always brings the deadpan humor and the accent I love. :mrgreen:

Not shown in the trailer, but well known to all the "buzz sites" and if you know the comics, obvious from the trailer, the villain will be Gorr the god-butcher, who has a god-killing dark sword (kind of his Stormbringer, I guess.) Gorr has a grudge against the gods (who doesn't), but he's decided for them failing this universe, they need to die. This may bring Thor out of retirement. I notice he's got his space-goats now pulling his space boat, that's cool, it's taken right from Norse mythology. You also see him on Mt. Olympus, complete with Zeus. (Are we finally going to see MCU Hercules?) So maybe Gorr is also going after the Greek gods. And now that they've introduced the Egyptian gods into the MCU with Khonshu/Moon Knight ... are they threatened also?

But the big reveal moment ... and again the one that's not a surprise if you've kept your ears to the buzz train ... Jane Foster Thor, wielding a restored Mjolnir. Maybe breaking up with her wasn't such a good idea, eh? :mrgreen: (In the comics, Jane actually got Mjolnir when Thor lost his ability to wield it because he stopped being worthy, but then as she was suffering from cancer, but was worthy, she picked it up and was healed.)

The rumors are, as the MCU keeps switching things up, "our" Odinson (Chris H) Thor might ... "retire" ... after this film ... but Jane will take up the mantle. A female Thor might make the RWGeeks lose their shit as much as the Black Captain America. Guess we'll see. She-Hulk and Ironheart (a black female Iron ... Woman) ... are also coming.

Oh and that Ms. Marvel trailer! Hope the RWGeeks can deal with a brown female Muslim super heroine ... even she jokes "it's not brown girls from Jersey City who save the world" ... although she might just do that.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ProfX

Re: Thor Love & Thunder

Post by ProfX »

First "official" trailer as opposed to teaser has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8nTmfrQd8

Gotta love Korg narrating the story. :D

Dunno, I really get this impression the Guardians of the Galaxy are not going to be in much of this, seems like Thor & them part ways early. Despite the ending of Endgame. Confirms (was well known already) Gorr the god-butcher is the main villain.

Mjolnir is back but it seems to prefer to be in the hands of Lady Thor (Jane Foster). How it got reconstructed, how she got it ... guess we will find out.

There's some buzz Man-Thor may retire, and let Jane/Lady Thor take over active duty. Boy, this will get the MAGAnerds foaming if it happens.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bird

Post by bird »

ProfX wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:32 pm First "official" trailer as opposed to teaser has dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go8nTmfrQd8

Gotta love Korg narrating the story. :D

Dunno, I really get this impression the Guardians of the Galaxy are not going to be in much of this, seems like Thor & them part ways early. Despite the ending of Endgame. Confirms (was well known already) Gorr the god-butcher is the main villain.

Mjolnir is back but it seems to prefer to be in the hands of Lady Thor (Jane Foster). How it got reconstructed, how she got it ... guess we will find out.

There's some buzz Man-Thor may retire, and let Jane/Lady Thor take over active duty. Boy, this will get the MAGAnerds foaming if it happens.
Love the trailer! Looking forward to it. And Charlize Theron as Clea? That looked interesting.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Let's face it ... he's better off with a fellow Sorceress Supreme like Clea ... Christine (even the alternate version) would never fit into the "madness" of his life. They both know it.

P.S. ... spoiler warning for all who still haven't seen it (MoM) ...

... you never saw Wanda's body. MCU Rule 1. Plus Elizabeth Olson is already talking about future projects. No way we've seen the last of her in the MCU. :D I happen to think she needs and deserves a redemption arc. She did some horrible stuff, but Chthon and the Darkhold literally made her do it.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Final Trailer drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXcTl0I8ExI

I think one thing about this is fairly deceptive. I love that the film will feature lots of Korg. It can't have enough Korg. :D

However, pretty much all sources are hinting the role the Guardians of the Galaxy will play in the film is really small. Thor and them will part ways fairly early in the first third of the film. The trailer appears to be hinting otherwise, which maybe it's doing for fan service reasons. Anyway, they just are not going to play a major role. Valkyrie and Jane-Thor (and Korg) will.

Chris Hemsworth seems to be going back and forth over whether this will be his bow-out from the MCU. I'm hoping (unlike the comics) Jane-Thor doesn't either die from cancer or be forced to give up her gig because of it. I also doubt Chris-Thor will die, or retire, but again, the actor is making weirdly equivocal statements about this to the press. First he said he wanted to bow out, then he was begging to be in Deadpool 3. :D

Guess we'll see.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Big fan of Taika Waititi and the "What We Do In The Shadows" movie and FX show and the new HBO sitcom

"Our Flag Means Death"

I see he directed Thor and has a part. And he is going to direct a new Star Wars.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

See "JoJo Rabbit" if you get the chance.

It's a coming of age story. Young boy growing up, strives to fit in, invents imaginary friend to help guide him through life.

Except: it's Nazi Germany in the 30s and 40s, and his imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler ... played by Taika.

Yes, it's comedic, but does justice to the complexity and tragedy of the topic, and what drives Jojo's coming of age is his family is hiding a Jewish girl from the authorities, and he's realizing (despite what his imaginary pal says) she's human too. Oh and he's falling in love with her, and this is making him question everything.

There's a happy ending. At least for Jojo and the girl, anyway. Again, worth seeing.
gounion

Post by gounion »

YouTube reviewer Grace Randolf dropped a video this morning. She's seen the movie - but there's a review embargo until July 5th. So, she's talking about the "business aspect". She says this movie is an advertisement for Thor 5 - that it is an open-ended setup for the next movie. She does say there's big changes for Thor. She also says there are two end-credit scenes, and they are epic.

I don't think Hemsworth is done. Not by a longshot. Downy had to go - he was aging out. I think Evans felt his character had done all it could, and that's why he wanted out. But Hemsworth is 38, and got a few more movies in him.

Been watching Ms. Marvel, and love it! Three episodes down, three to go!
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So, here's the deal. In the comics, Jane-Thor got to wield Mjolnir, in part because of her struggle against cancer; but the problem is while holding it, she was cancer-free (at least from its symptoms), but it also prevented her cancer from being treated. So she was kinda presented the dilemma of being fem-Thor or dying ... my hope: though they are borrowing from the comics, she will overcome this, and we'll see her in the future. Maybe overcoming the cancer and remaining a hero(ine).

The thing is, some were wondering if she might sub for Chris-Thor, as he takes a siesta (if she overcomes this in a different way than in the comics). Kinda like Falcon-Cap did for Cap, Kate Bishop for Hawkeye, or in the future Ironheart and War Machine will do for Iron Man. We'll see where they wind up at the end of the film.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:35 am See "JoJo Rabbit" if you get the chance.

It's a coming of age story. Young boy growing up, strives to fit in, invents imaginary friend to help guide him through life.

Except: it's Nazi Germany in the 30s and 40s, and his imaginary friend is Adolf Hitler ... played by Taika.

Yes, it's comedic, but does justice to the complexity and tragedy of the topic, and what drives Jojo's coming of age is his family is hiding a Jewish girl from the authorities, and he's realizing (despite what his imaginary pal says) she's human too. Oh and he's falling in love with her, and this is making him question everything.

There's a happy ending. At least for Jojo and the girl, anyway. Again, worth seeing.
thanks, started it a couple times, didn't finish...He wrote it I think. Gonna finish it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Also, Taiki Watiti said the other day on a talk show that in the "flick" scene, in the movie, Hemsworth's butt is NOT pixilated!
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:58 pm Also, Taiki Watiti said the other day on a talk show that in the "flick" scene, in the movie, Hemsworth's butt is NOT pixilated!
:lol:

Saw that interview.

Have you or anyone else here seen "Our Flag Means Death?"
gounion

Post by gounion »

Looks like we've got your answer, Prof. Hemsworth is down for more. Via Screen Rant:
I love it, I love it. I'll come back for more and more until someone kicks me off the stage, you know. I love it. My whole career has been based around me playing this character and to come back again and again and play it with different directors and different casts has been an absolute joy. And, yeah, we'll see what the fans want, and I don't know, I'm down for whatever is enjoyable and having a good time. That's what this experience in the Marvel world has been for me, so bring it on.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

So, it seems pretty clear (Chris-)Thor won't die, and based on buzz I'm hearing, won't retire either. Grace seems to not be the only one suggesting the film sets up its own sequel. I'm trying to avoid spoilers on the post credit scenes, but folks are saying the 2nd one is ... uh, epic.

The thing is, Jane-Thor in the comics died from her cancer ... (and was resurrected ... but had to give up the hammer.) I'm hoping we're not done with her. Also, of course, everybody is wondering, especially given the title of the film, whether their relationship rekindles. I'm kinda hoping this isn't the last we'll see of her either. (Fine, I'll admit one reason is Natalie Portman being easy on my eyes.)

As always ... guess we'll find out. Folks who have seen the "special" premiere like my boy Cosmic Wonder are raving, so I think it's gonna be good. I trust his instincts. :D

There's even rumors Beta Ray Bill has a cameo. That would just be wild. :mrgreen: (Google him if ya don't know who he is.)
gounion

Post by gounion »

Got my tix for Love and Thunder. Friday morning, July 8th, 10 AM.

Saw Top Gun: Maverick today. It's a perfect Top Gun movie, a great sequel to top off the First movie. My wife and I both really enjoyed it.

And it's every bit as much a fantasy as Thor movies! But they did a nice job with Val Kilmer, who was Ice Man in the first movie, and has been in very bad health as of late. They did a great job with him in the movie. Even in the shape he was in, he gave a powerful, if short, performance.
gounion

Post by gounion »

says that Lady Sif, one of Thor's best buds that was missing in Thor: Ragnarok, will be back and play a role of some significance the will in Love and Thunder. I hope so!

And also from the article:
Jaimie Alexander, who portrays the MCU's Lady Sif in Thor: Love and Thunder, asked fans on Instagram for their story ideas, in case her character were to star in her own potential Disney+ series in the future. The Marvel veteran then teased the possible inclusion of Beta Ray Bill:
> "If Lady Sif had a series, what would YOU like to see? I’m loving some #BetaRayBill What do you think @walter.simonson.5 ??#skuttlebutt #surtur #korbinite #thor #sif"
gounion

Post by gounion »

IMPORTANT! THIS WILL BE MY LAST NON-SPOILER POST ON THIS THREAD!

We have tickets at 10 AM Central tomorrow morning for Thor Love and Thunder. I've worked hard to keep away from any non-preview spoilers for this, but I'll probably post after we see this tomorrow and give my views, including spoilers. So be warned!

Anyone else have tickets to see it yet?
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Put spoiler warnings above them.

I think I'm going to see it this weekend. I don't do tickets in advance. :D I kinda decide when I'm going to go, might actually be Monday if the theatre is slammed.

It's weird, the rotten tomatoes scores on it are very ... mixed. Not bad, but reviewers tend to lean toward "not as good as Ragnarok".

I may or may not change my mind about spoiling 'em, but I do want your impressions on how impactful the post-credit scenes are. :D

I'm hearing some buzz Jane-Thor dies. This I would find very sad. :| On the other hand, it opens up, doors, shall we say, for shipping Lady SIf. I guess we'll see...
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:16 pm Put spoiler warnings above them.

I think I'm going to see it this weekend. I don't do tickets in advance. :D I kinda decide when I'm going to go, might actually be Monday if the theatre is slammed.

It's weird, the rotten tomatoes scores on it are very ... mixed. Not bad, but reviewers tend to lean toward "not as good as Ragnarok".

I may or may not change my mind about spoiling 'em, but I do want your impressions on how impactful the post-credit scenes are. :D

I'm hearing some buzz Jane-Thor dies. This I would find very sad. :| On the other hand, it opens up, doors, shall we say, for shipping Lady SIf. I guess we'll see...
Okay, I may make a non-spoiler review first. I'll put warnings either way. From the non-spoiler reviews I've seen, everyone says it's hilarious - but it's either you like Watiti's way or you don't.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I don't object if you post spoilers. I really rarely care about them. Sometimes I spoil films for myself before I go. I'm just weird that way. But other people might object.

Best way to do it -- since the spoiler tags don't work -- post your non-spoilery reactions/reviews first, then put something like this:

Thor L & T was mega awesome!

** MEGA SPOILER WARNING Spoilers past this point **

Korg is actually Deadpool's long lost brother! (Obvious joke, for spoiler example.)
gounion

Post by gounion »

This will be my completely NON-SPOILER REVIEW!!! First thoughts out of the theater. I'll hold the non-spoiler review for after ProfX sees it, and we will then discuss.

Go see this movie! You WILL LOVE IT!!!

The movie begins on a downer note. Then it gets REALLY silly, damned near Python-level silly. The negative reviews have a point, and I thought, oh this ISN'T going to work. But after that, it gets really good, especially when they go to see Zeus. It's a very strong movie from then on.

The ending is truly great, I loved it and my wife was crying. Well, me too, maybe a little.

I bow to the genius that is Tika Waititi.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

what did you just do :lol:

gounion

did you break the board for a few minutes?
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I went to see it today. Here is my spoiler containing review of Thor Love & Thunder.

General non spoiler reaction: I gotta say I side with some reviewers. Is this the GOAT for the MCU? The best Thor movie evah? Nah, I wouldn't say so. All that said, it's not a bad popcorn muncher, and the visuals as always are stunning.

If you're a Guardians fan - got bad news - yeah, they are barely in the movie, and as I thought, part ways with Thor extremely early.

I don't mind all the jokey bits. Korg (Taika) is as always the star of the comedy, continuing to get Jane Foster's name wrong (he calls her "Jane Fonda" and "Jodie Foster".) You'll love the god of Bao you see at one point in the movie. :D It looks like it literally jumped off your iPhone's emojis. What I will agree with is the film doesn't handle the tonal shifts totally well, how it can so quickly switch from comedy to tragedy.

** OK, what follows here is spoiler territory. This is your last warning. **

I love the Gorr the god-butcher character. He is theodicy personified. He is every angry person who begged the gods for mercy and compassion, prayed to them for succor and safety, and despaired in their refusal to answer. His daughter dies in a parched desert, they do nothing to save her, he only survives himself by luck and chance by stumbling into the oasis of his god, by accident - the god there did nothing to help.

So it's weird. At least in the MCU, we know gods actually exist. We've seen them. Thing is, their power levels vary widely. The Asgardians seem to basically be long-lived aliens with advanced technology (mixed with magic). They definitely can die. The Celestials seem to be gigantic space robots, and the Eternals their android humanoid minions. They hardly seem omnipotent, are definitely not omniscient, and again, what they can do ... well, look, if a mortal with the Infinity Gauntlet can bring half the universe back to life, who needs the gods?

So the problem doesn't seem to be whether or not they exist. What Gorr comes to realize is at least with the gods of his planet, they just don't give a crap about mortals. BTW, the other gods we see in the movie aren't always much better. Zeus in the movie is as much an a-hole as he's often depicted in Greek mythology. :D (Odin, honestly, seemed a lot wiser and more benevolent.) From what I saw of Khonshu in Moon Knight, makes him out to be quite the manipulative dick. (Of course, the crocodile goddess he was fighting was much worse. The only likable one is the hippo goddess.) So Gorr isn't satisfied with mere unbelief. He could just go around preaching atheism. No, he decides all the gods must die. And since he has the Necrosword, he now has the power to do it (even though its power seems to be killing him.)

So, here comes his plan. He could hunt them all down one by one and apparently has been doing that. But that will take a while, plus they all seem to be hiding out in their Olympian space temple. Strength in numbers, I guess. Once again, they're proving Gorr right, as the gods hiding out there won't even do anything to stop him, even if that means beings who can't make it there will still die. Thor begs them for assistance, and all he gets is Zeus' thunderbolt - and even that he has to take by force. Turns out Gorr needs Stormbreaker's power to create a Bifrost wormhole so he can reach Eternity at the center of the universe.

Now, as I said, there are all kinds of cosmic beings in the MCU, with varying power levels, and Eternity is definitely top tier. It is a bit weird that the movie just makes him out to be a silent wishing stone. Just touch him and anything you want happens? I guess you don't need the infinity Gauntlet after all! Anyhoo, Gorr obviously will wish for all the gods to die. However, he changes his mind.

I loved Korg in this movie. Hilarious comic relief. Although he's not just dead weight, seems he can wield Stormbreaker also. As for Valkyrie, well she's just awesome, although she apparently loses a kidney fighting Gorr. And so now we have to turn to Jane. The story of how she gets Mjolnir is explained and is very similar to the comics. She has stage 4 cancer, though we're never told why. (Obviously, maybe "just cuz" although one theory is she got it from being exposed to the Aether.) As medicine is failing her, she thinks after reading about Norse mythology maybe Mjolnir can help her. So it somehow reassembles itself for her, and ... it's the same dilemma in the comics. The good news: while wielding it she has the power of Thor, and she overcomes her cancer WHILE in that form, BUT the cancer is continuing to progress and in fact gets worse every time she resumes her mortal body, Mjolnir is essentially blocking the chemo from working. So being Thor #2 is killing her.

You can see the ending coming - it was pretty predictable. The romance rekindles. (BTW, from Jane's point of view, they've only been broken up for 3 years as she apparently got snapped.) Thor wants to defeat Gorr on his own. He knows if Jane reassumes her Thor #2 form she could die. Gorr has Thor on the ropes and the Necrosword is about to slay him. Yep, Jane-Thor to the rescue ... at the cost of her own life, she shatters the Necrosword, BUT Gorr still gets through the portal to Eternity. Thor could stop him but he chooses to spend his last moments with the dying Jane. This seems to affect Gorr and he does reach Eternity - he's also dying now that the Necrosword is broken - but then he changes his wish and asks for his daughter back. His last dying wish to Thor -- raise the daughter like his own. He does. (P.S. I've read the actress is Hemsworth's real life daughter. Cool.) Now, for whatever reasons - spawn of Eternity? - the daughter has some cosmic powers too and as we see at the end of the movie, pint size powerhouse can also wield Stormbreaker (Thor has Mjolnir back), and they become a duo codenamed ... "Love & Thunder" ... roll credits.

Post-Credit Scenes:
#1 - you think Thor may have killed Zeus with his own thunderbolt but no. Twas just a flesh wound. :lol: More importantly, we see the debut of his son, Hercules, who promises dear old dad he'll get vengeance on Thor. Now BTW Hercules has been in the Marvelverse, he was in the Avengers, he had a mild rivalry with Thor, he actually dated She-Hulk ... anyway, this is his MCU debut. I suspect he may be angry with Thor at first but eventually they will end up allies.

#2 - so one thing that makes Gorr angry with the gods on his planet is they basically tell him there is no afterlife, there is no reward, sorry douchebag, your daughter is just toast. Well, the end of the film shows us something we've already seen - there is a real afterlife in the MCU, though where you go seems to depend. (Just like Moon Knight went to the Egyptian Duat.) Jane is in Valhalla, and is greeted there by Heimdall.

Have we seen the last of Jane Foster? All I can say is, once again, in the comics, she did return from Valhalla to Earth, so ...

As always we'll see. :mrgreen:

Lady Sif is still alive but seems to have lost an arm fighting Gorr. Like that has ever stopped anybody in the MCU. :mrgreen: (See: Winter Soldier, Agents of SHIELD, etc, etc.) So that "ship" is still out there.

P.S. Jane's bestie Darcie does have a cameo. :D
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Slight spoilers? Images that relate to the above.

Eternity - in the comics he speaks (if he rarely intervenes)

Hercules with She Hulk

The Valkyries are supposed to bring mortals to Valhalla, and Tessa Thompson is not the only sole one, even though Hela tells her she slaughtered all her sisters. Doesn't mean new ones can't be created. Anyway, this is what happens to Jane Foster in the comics.

P.S. I love that in the "mini play within a play" in the film, Melissa McCarthy has a brief cameo as Hela. :D
bird

Post by bird »

Agree re: popcorn muncher. Definitely brain candy but that is good by me. The transitions were a little clunky.

Basically the Thor series seems to be the sort of comic relief of the MCU mixed with some tragedy/drama. And that is OK.

I remember reading about Infinity in the comics when I was growing up. Unless I miss my guess I saw a head statue of the Living Tribunal in the hall when Gorr was trying to get to Infinity. I also recall Dr. Strange seeking the space where Eternity had been during the story of Siseneg/Genesis. He was basically trying to stay alive in that void.