The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

News and events of the day
ap215

The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by ap215 »

Let's put everything about the pandemic in one thread starting with this.

NYC workers march across Brooklyn Bridge in protest of COVID vaccine mandate

BROOKLYN, New York -- New York City municipal employees marched across the Brooklyn Bridge against the COVID vaccine mandate.

The protest was set to end in front of City Hall on the Manhattan side of the bridge and was billed as an anti-mandate protest on behalf of nearly 50,000 NYC employees who have yet to be vaccinated.

https://abc7ny.com/brooklyn-bridge-marc ... /11165365/
Drak

Re: The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Drak »

I said this on the last board. I just found out recently that my Dad had the Delta strain back in September. He's 83, almost 84. He was also a long term smoker, although I think he quit in the late 90s. It's amazing to me that he seems to be OK. He said he was sick for about 2 weeks and that it felt like a really bad sinus cold for him. But he also claims he had the original virus back in Jan 2020, so I wonder if that helped on top of the double vaccine. Having said that, he doesn't say much. I don't know if there are long term health effects now with him or how he's feeling overall. He thinks he got it from a testing site, since he works in an industry where he needs to be tested periodically. It's sad though that someone his age is still working. He should be relaxing. His partner just died in 2018, and I don't think they saved for the future. Just living day to day.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I went to the local office store located in a hole-in-the wall building. To show you how small it is it's about 600 sq ft or about the size of my downstairs floor in my condo. I needed to get a medium sized envelope to mail something at the Post Office a block away. When I reached the counter there was a small sign on the counter saying the do not laminate COVID-19 vaccination cards. I thought that was a good policy since booster shots are now available and having a laminated vaccination card would make it difficult to record the booster shot. Of course, the place you get the booster shot could give you another card with just the booster shot info it would mean you'd need to have two vaccination cards to show you're fully vaccinated.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Covid lab returned four positive results from 2,400 Sheffield tests

The laboratory at the centre of the Covid testing fiasco returned just four positive results out of more than 2,400 tests sent to it from one city, the Guardian has learned, raising questions about why it was not discovered sooner.

The positivity rate of just 0.2% from Sheffield tests sent to the Wolverhampton lab run by Immensa contrasts sharply with the national rate of about 5-8% at the time of the scandal.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... ield-tests
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Flouting White House, Florida penalizes school districts

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The state of Florida has withheld funding from two school districts over their coronavirus mask mandates, flouting threats from White House officials who warned that such penalties would violate federal law.

School officials in Alachua and Broward counties on Wednesday said the state docked school board salaries and overall funding in amounts equal to federal aid packages meant to blunt the state’s sanctions on mask requirements. This month, more than $164,000 was withheld from the Alachua school district and more than $455,000 was withheld from Broward.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... a57e5a484f
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ap215 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:49 pm Flouting White House, Florida penalizes school districts

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The state of Florida has withheld funding from two school districts over their coronavirus mask mandates, flouting threats from White House officials who warned that such penalties would violate federal law.

School officials in Alachua and Broward counties on Wednesday said the state docked school board salaries and overall funding in amounts equal to federal aid packages meant to blunt the state’s sanctions on mask requirements. This month, more than $164,000 was withheld from the Alachua school district and more than $455,000 was withheld from Broward.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... a57e5a484f
State of Fl or DeSantis is a murdering psycho, must be apprehended and imprisoned.
I sigh in your general direction.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Sanitation commissioner details trash delays, says some trucks returning half full

NEW YORK — For days, residents in certain pockets of the city have complained that their trash is not getting picked up.

The head of the city’s sanitation department is trying to deal with the problem.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/ne ... unication-
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Florida sues Biden over contractor vaccine mandate

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The state of Florida on Thursday sued President Joe Biden’s administration over its coronavirus vaccine mandate for federal contractors, opening yet another battleground between Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis and the White House.

The lawsuit, announced by DeSantis at a news conference, alleges the president doesn’t have the authority to issue the rule and that it violates procurement law.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- ... 26a8175237
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

they just had to reclose the schools locally and quarantine over 700 students with 10? was it, kids in the ER.

schools wont open again til nov 9.
...we shall see on that one.

dont know the stats on vacc vs non vaccd. id say 99% are nonvaccd since theyre kids and this is rural. and ethnic.
..which means the kids got exposed somehow...since school opened about a month ago??..6weeks...and this student
crisis just began.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Psaki tests positive for Covid, last saw Biden Tuesday

(CNN) White House press secretary Jen Psaki, who dropped off President Joe Biden's international trip shortly before he departed, has tested positive for coronavirus after members of her household did, she said in a statement Sunday.

Psaki said she last saw Biden Tuesday outside while masked, before the President departed for Rome for the Group of 20 Summit. Psaki said she was disclosing the positive test result "out of an abundance of transparency," adding that she has experienced mild symptoms and is working remotely.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/31/politics ... index.html
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Actress Kristy Swanson who stared in the Theatrical Release of, "Buffy The Vampire Killer" who spread Virus Misinformation is hospitalized with COVID.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kristy-s ... 9de8b9e894.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

marindem01 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:25 pm Actress Kristy Swanson who stared in the Theatrical Release of, "Buffy The Vampire Killer" who spread Virus Misinformation is hospitalized with COVID.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kristy-s ... 9de8b9e894.
Every fucking time one of these assholes who attack the vax and masks gets the virus, they somehow all of a sudden never said any of that and people believe them.

Truth means absolutely NOTHING these days. If you were watching Randi Rhodes today and saw the way the GOP lies in VA about CRT, AMAZING!
ap215

Post by ap215 »

A potentially faster-spreading Delta variant, AY.4.2, has been spotted in 8 states

A potentially faster-spreading "sub-lineage" of the coronavirus Delta variant named AY.4.2 has been spotted by labs in at least 8 states, and health authorities in the United Kingdom say they are investigating a growing share of cases from this strain of the virus.

Labs in California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Washington state, plus the District of Columbia, have so far spotted at least one case of AY.4.2.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-delt ... -2-states/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Los Angeles mayor Garcetti tests positive for COVID-19

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti (D) has tested positive for a breakthrough case of COVID-19, his office said on Twitter Wednesday.

“Mayor Garcetti tested positive for COVID-19 earlier today,” Garcetti’s office said. “He is feeling good and isolating in his hotel room. He is fully vaccinated.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... r-covid-19
gounion

Post by gounion »

ap215 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:30 pm A potentially faster-spreading Delta variant, AY.4.2, has been spotted in 8 states

A potentially faster-spreading "sub-lineage" of the coronavirus Delta variant named AY.4.2 has been spotted by labs in at least 8 states, and health authorities in the United Kingdom say they are investigating a growing share of cases from this strain of the virus.

Labs in California, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, North Carolina, Rhode Island and Washington state, plus the District of Columbia, have so far spotted at least one case of AY.4.2.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-delt ... -2-states/
I'm so tired of this.

I'm triple-vaxxed, and cases are waaaaay down here in Tennessee. I have a lot of travel planned for next year, and hopefully the stupidly unvaxxed doesn't fuck things up again.

Republicans are self-centered assholes.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:38 pm I'm so tired of this.

I'm triple-vaxxed, and cases are waaaaay down here in Tennessee. I have a lot of travel planned for next year, and hopefully the stupidly unvaxxed doesn't fuck things up again.

You can COUNT on anti vax and anyone who ever votes EVER for ANY repub to fuck it up.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:38 pm I'm so tired of this.

I,too, am tired of this. California sits at 38th for the lowest COVID-19 infection rates and Tennessee sits at 3rd highest COVID-19 infection rates.
Statista

California is opening up but we're still required to wear mask in certain instances. I was in our local library the other day and they had a notice on the front door saying the county strongly suggest people wear masks while indoors but didn't mandate it. Most people we wearing masks but there were some who weren't.

I've a trip to Las Vegas planned for January and another one planned for May. I don't know if COVID-19 infections will decrease by January but I'm hoping, fingers crossed, we will be out of the pandemic by May.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:25 pm I,too, am tired of this. California sits at 38th for the lowest COVID-19 infection rates and Tennessee sits at 3rd highest COVID-19 infection rates.
Statista

California is opening up but we're still required to wear mask in certain instances. I was in our local library the other day and they had a notice on the front door saying the county strongly suggest people wear masks while indoors but didn't mandate it. Most people we wearing masks but there were some who weren't.

I've a trip to Las Vegas planned for January and another one planned for May. I don't know if COVID-19 infections will decrease by January but I'm hoping, fingers crossed, we will be out of the pandemic by May.
Yes, not a few weeks ago, Tennessee was #1. But that's overall per cap from the beginning. 1/5 of the people in my county have been infected at one time or another. With 56% of adults vaxxed, there are fewer targets.

We're going to Vegas over the Thanksgiving holiday. Vegas ain't bad right now either.

Went to a Dem Party dinner in Nashville Saturday. They required vax cards or you got a rapid test. No tests had to be given.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Arron Rogers, quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, tests positive for COVID-19 even though he claims he was "immunized."
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the reigning NFL MVP, has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to multiple media reports.

According to ESPN, "The NFL has considered Rodgers as unvaccinated since the start of the season." NFL.com also reports that the Packers quarterback has not been vaccinated against COVID-19.

Rodgers has come under scrutiny after telling reporters this year only that he had been "immunized."
NPR
So did Rogers mislead everyone or lied by saying he was "immunized" against COVID-19? Either way, I think the NFL should make an example of Rogers fine him one week's salary and suspend him for four games per NFL rules. By doing this, the NFL will be sending a strong message that it doesn't matter who you are. Violate NFL COVID-19 rules and suffer the consequences.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:02 pm Arron Rogers, quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, tests positive for COVID-19 even though he claims he was "immunized."

So did Rogers mislead everyone or lied by saying he was "immunized" against COVID-19? Either way, I think the NFL should make an example of Rogers fine him one week's salary and suspend him for four games per NFL rules. By doing this, the NFL will be sending a strong message that it doesn't matter who you are. Violate NFL COVID-19 rules and suffer the consequences.
Well...

I sure agree with you...

In principle.

But I got tix to the Green Bay/Seattle game week after next! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:13 pm Well...

I sure agree with you...

In principle.

But I got tix to the Green Bay/Seattle game week after next! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Expect to see the Packer's backup QB that day.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

US passes grim milestone of 750,000 COVID-19 deaths

The United States has surpassed the sobering milestone of 750,000 COVID-19 deaths despite the widespread availability of vaccines.

According to Johns Hopkins University’s official count, the U.S. had 750,431 confirmed deaths due to the coronavirus as of Thursday morning. The U.S. has had over 46 million confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/5 ... -19-deaths
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Europe could see a resurgence of COVID-19.
European countries must work harder to prevent the coronavirus spreading further as deaths and new cases surge, the World Health Organization's Europe head said on Thursday.

Current transmission rates in 53 European countries are of "grave concern" and new cases are nearing record levels, exacerbated by the more transmissible Delta variant of the virus, the WHO's Hans Kluge told a media briefing.

The region saw a 6% increase in new cases last week of nearly 1.8 million new cases, compared to the week before. The number of deaths rose 12% in the same period.

If the region follows its current trajectory, Kluge said, another 500,000 COVID-19 related deaths could occur in the region by February next year.
Rueters
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:31 pm Europe could see a resurgence of COVID-19.
So, the numbers in the USA have been going down, but they are now leveling off. An that's not good. According to the graphs at the NYT, we were down to 11,000 new cases a day in June. Our cases today - in a 14-day average - are 73,000 a day, down from 164,000 in early September.

I'm cautiously optimistic. But with our idiot GOP Governors, they seem to WANT it to get worse and worse and worse.
Drak

Post by Drak »

They definitely want it to get worse. It spreads chaos and it's also something they can blame Biden for. That and their stocks in products like Regeneron.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine