The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

News and events of the day
Libertas

Re: The Covid-19 Pandemic Thread

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:43 am I of course agree with you. Over on DU, there's a thread where people are like, "so all the people who died were obese". Yeah. OK. This reminds me of arguments with tritumi. "They chose to be fat". Did they? Are we really gonna have this discussion in a vacuum, without talking about the U.S. food system, food deserts, restaurant portions, all the systemic issues involved here? Also that, yes, genetics, metabolism, matter, sometimes not everybody can just go out and hit the gym in the middle of a pandemic? People really do gain weight from things not totally in their control ... gosh honest!

What you call "health elitism" is definitely at play. "Well, if they just got more Vitamin D, were vegan, drank spirulina, did lots of goat yoga and jazzercise, and had a healthier lifestyle they would have been fine". Maybe, maybe not, personally it reminds me of those Shingrix ads where they point out the shingles virus doesn't give a f**k how healthy a lifestyle you live. This "well it's only taking out the unwell anyway" as if we just need to shed "fat and unhealthy" people like social excess is ... SOCIAL DARWINISM. And I don't care who's mouthing it. Right wingers, "spiritual celebrities," or the CDC director.

Obesity was one of those major comorbidities she was talking about, but so are things that are inarguably not in peoples' control, like various congenital disorders. Saying "it only culls the weak and unhealthy" is eugenics thinking. I also wanna keep pointing out people might have some of these comorbidities without knowing it as they haven't been detected until they got COVID.

Sigh.
And doesn’t make any sense anyways since most Americans are obese I thought?

Not making a judgment comment or call I’m just remembering that the numbers are very high so I don’t get it either.

When Zowie on this board commented how angry he or she was about the lack of attention given to the situation especially in Southern California by the Biden administration it caught my attention.

This is just not being handled right. Did the dumbest person alive hand the Biden administration the worst possible situation because of their negligence and desire to kill Democrats, of course. It is time to force companies to make what we need and build the sites that we need for testing and whatever else. President can do this.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:01 pm I don’t know what your eye situation is but laser eye surgery changed my life; it wasn’t cheap but boy I could go on for hours about how fantastic it has been.
That might be in my future but for now my eyes just need a little help and glasses can do that. I had asked about laser surgery so I could get away from wearing glasses but the ophthalmologist but she said it would correct either near or far vision only and that I'd still need glasses.

I do have the beginnings of a cataract in my left eye but that's normal age my age. Later on it will get worse and then I'll need surgery. My ophthalmologist was telling me how they can implant a new lens. I figure I have a couple more years before I have to worry about it and I'll talk it over with my ophthalmologist as to which procedure would be best for me.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:22 pm That might be in my future but for now my eyes just need a little help and glasses can do that. I had asked about laser surgery so I could get away from wearing glasses but the ophthalmologist but she said it would correct either near or far vision only and that I'd still need glasses.

I do have the beginnings of a cataract in my left eye but that's normal age my age. Later on it will get worse and then I'll need surgery. My ophthalmologist was telling me how they can implant a new lens. I figure I have a couple more years before I have to worry about it and I'll talk it over with my ophthalmologist as to which procedure would be best for me.
They are called intraocular lenses and in my case I ended up having one of my eyes changed to be for distance and one for intermediate and the result was I am able to see distance and up close without glasses which is very unusual. Actually I shouldn’t say it’s unusual, because it is something that is done and you could have done if you decide to do it.

Neither is perfect but both are good enough to where I can do it, I highly recommend you look into the intraocular lenses but again it’s not cheap probably $5000 for both eyes.

As to you’re recommending I go in for my medical procedures I’m still not sure what to do I’m gonna think about it some more especially the colonoscopy I don’t see what waiting a month longer what harm would do. Thanks

Ps
Eye surgery was scary to me because I am very nervous about medical procedures and I’m very claustrophobic and there was some of that to deal with but at the end of the day the procedure was very fast no pain there was some recovering involved and discomfort but I wouldn’t say pain; it’s really not that big of a deal but there is several weeks of multiple drops and protecting your eyes but you can do that
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Libertas wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:41 pm They are called intraocular lenses and in my case I ended up having one of my eyes changed to be for distance and one for intermediate and the result was I am able to see distance and up close without glasses which is very unusual. Actually I shouldn’t say it’s unusual, because it is something that is done and you could have done if you decide to do it.

Neither is perfect but both are good enough to where I can do it, I highly recommend you look into the intraocular lenses but again it’s not cheap probably $5000 for both eyes.

As to you’re recommending I go in for my medical procedures I’m still not sure what to do I’m gonna think about it some more especially the colonoscopy I don’t see what waiting a month longer what harm would do. Thanks

Ps
Eye surgery was scary to me because I am very nervous about medical procedures and I’m very claustrophobic and there was some of that to deal with but at the end of the day the procedure was very fast no pain there was some recovering involved and discomfort but I wouldn’t say pain; it’s really not that big of a deal but there is several weeks of multiple drops and protecting your eyes but you can do that
Thanks for the info. When the time comes I'll look over my options and choose. Who knows, in a couple of years they may come up with a new procedure that will take care of both far and near vision and allow me to ditch the glasses.
When you vote left, you vote right.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

im not willing to spend time on news at this point. i read a bit, see a tiny bit, then go on about living as tho
im still on a planet with sane 2leg creatures.

RWG celeb pol TV NOOZE millionaires on tv telling the humans how and what to think. SMH.

every thot is now posted on innernet media's as tho that thot matters. it doesnt.

tv shows now showing people AND tweet box and im now sppsd to read their tv tweets off the tv?..wtf. no thanx.

ive directed my efforts closer to home and today noticed Way More people wearing masks. as well id say 25% in the
grocery store did not wear them instead wore these stupid half drunk looking grins...as tho they is so dang proud of themsailves.
despite the ongoing store announcement of MASK POLICY they didnt give a fuck.
...we dont need no masks, we trumpies. cough cough.
....and i Back Away from you fast cuz YOU are DANGEROUS. :twisted:

i did notice many spaces on shelves. i also noticed way more plant based feeds for humans.
...you know, cuz their aint enough grains to feed both humans And the animal meat they wanna slurp without chewing.
i bought a couple, will see how they taste. ive not done cow since the 80's.

id suspect theyre running out of ways to both grow kill and store the amount of chicken humans now suck down since
beef is getting rare. my gawd what a shit life a chicken has nowadaze. this is a critter humans should say grace for.
billions of them giving up life to feed humans every fucking second on this planet.
gratitude...anyone?...

so anyhow yall happy fuckin new year. for me news is way back burner for now. IDNC. IDNGAF about RWG and what they say
since ive Seen what they do.

..im again dating my HS, well, since 5th grade...sweetheart. hard to believe we are back in touch daily now.
it was reunion rememberance time or some shit and he got my email again.
fukin Hilarious!!

take care yall. for those who dont protect themselves OR OTHERS i dont give a fuck if you die in ER cuz yer so stupid.
...too stupid to live.

you got no "rights" or "liberty" to take others with you you maroons. yah that guy is a trumpie.

hasta.
Last edited by rainwater on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

...PER DAY.

https://www.pharmalive.com/u-s-averagin ... -revealed/
U.S. Averaging 700K New COVID-19 Cases Daily as Deltacron Revealed
Per a USA Today analysis of Johns Hopkins University data, the U.S. is reporting an average of more than 700,000 new
PharmaLive5h..

Per a USA Today analysis of Johns Hopkins University data, the U.S. is reporting an average of more than 700,000 new COVID-19 cases
per day.
As of Saturday, January 8, 2022, there were 4.91 million cases, more cases in seven days than in April, May, June, and July 2021 combined. In comparison, at one period in June 2021, the U.S. average daily case reports were slightly over 11,000.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

rainwater wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm ...PER DAY.

https://www.pharmalive.com/u-s-averagin ... -revealed/
And thats just the reported ones wow
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

9-25 was my booster. I want another one.

And BECAUSE cons wont call trump out, Biden and the dems are afraid to do what must be done with Covid, in some instances.

Like Zowie pointed out and woke me up to it, we need hundreds of thousands of test sites NOW and masks NOW and our president can force most of this to happen but he knows the right will go INSANE if he does the right thing.

STOP CARING what they think DAMMIT!
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Numerous lawmakers test positive for COVID amid Omicron surge

More than a half-dozen members of Congress have announced they tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days as the Omicron surge continues across many areas of the country.

Reps. Ben Cline, R-Va., Rick Crawford, R-Ark., and John Katko, R-N.Y., all said they tested positive for the virus on Monday.

https://www.aol.com/news/numerous-lawma ... 39810.html
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ap215 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:37 am Numerous lawmakers test positive for COVID amid Omicron surge

More than a half-dozen members of Congress have announced they tested positive for COVID-19 in recent days as the Omicron surge continues across many areas of the country.

Reps. Ben Cline, R-Va., Rick Crawford, R-Ark., and John Katko, R-N.Y., all said they tested positive for the virus on Monday.

https://www.aol.com/news/numerous-lawma ... 39810.html
All cons, no surprise there. I suppose dems will start testing positive now that the cons have made sure to spread their disgusting disease to others, on purpose.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... e-n1287299
Fauci says Sen. Paul 's attacks 'kindle the crazies' who have threatened his life
Fauci is done with Rand Paul. Rand Paul is trying to get Fauci killed so he can take credit for it. I want to slap ...someone...Rand Paul should be arrested today. Obviously, but he is a con so no way that will happen. I sure hope I am not the ONLY ONE MAD AS HELL, I know I am not but I sure hope America is paying ATTENTION!

And I just saw that Gorsuch is again refusing to wear a mask at SC, so some of the patriotic judges who believe in the Constitution and rule of law are logging in from home. What a disgusting excuse for anyone, let alone SC justice. Imagine that we have 5 SC justices who are unqualified to be there.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Fauci caught OFF MIC

https://twitter.com/BadFoxGraphics/stat ... 65345?s=20

https://twitter.com/i/status/1480976894589906950
What a moron, jesus christ
talking about GOP Marshall...and remember, Rand Paul is actively trying to get someone to murder Fauci...hope he has bodyguards.

Some slapping is in order of all these fucking cons.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Never heard so much complaining from hospital executives about having to treat sick people, this grudge thing its hard to understand coming from people who ration care through insurance schemes to give us undersize facilities and populations bursting with untreated sick and vulnerable health conditions that are ripe for worsening covid infections. Its hard to understand with all the political speech to which hospital executives are afforded and how little they are challenged by public officials and the news media that they dont staff hospitals humanely and for the benefit of the patients.

Seeing a lot of covid austerity, downsizing cutting cutting cutting all in the name of covid and at the ire of people who dont have vaccination.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Execs?

I hear staff complaining about the NO GOOD fUCking CONS who wont get vaxxed who are filling up the hospitals and making their lives LIVING NIGHTMARES
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Libertas wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm Execs?

I hear staff complaining about the NO GOOD fUCking CONS who wont get vaxxed who are filling up the hospitals and making their lives LIVING NIGHTMARES
yea its a constant the execs saying its dire and now they have to do things they wanted to do all along that will limit care or cut services rather than expand it or right size it. Of course the staff are overwhelmed because the execs are at war with them constantly.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I repeat that mathematical models a couple of weeks back predicted that half the population of the US would get Omicron, though a high number of those would not have symptoms and probably not seek testing.

That's when I stopped consuming news of any kind on the subject, because the numbers were going crazy and either (1) it was the scariest thing to happen in decades or (2) the models were tripping on probability in what is essentially chaos math.

Either way, the Nooz is useless except to try and keep up with the giddy case counts, and the rest of the time just stir people up and make the problem worse.

Yes, I have noticed that in general, people are starting to fucking lose it, everywhere, all at once.

Try scheduling performing arts right now. Publicity for same is great fun. Get the materials, write the releases, make the pitches, get people you want to keep on your good side to come and review, then -- CANCELLED! Another round of calls, sorry about that, damn Covid. Rinse and repeat for next item on schedule.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Covid loses 90% of ability to infect within 20 minutes in air – study
Exclusive: Findings highlight importance of short-range Covid transmission
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -air-study

Coronavirus loses 90% of its ability to infect us within 20 minutes of becoming airborne – with most of the loss occurring within the first five minutes, the world’s first simulations of how the virus survives in exhaled air suggest.

The findings re-emphasise the importance of short-range Covid transmission, with physical distancing and mask-wearing likely to be the most effective means of preventing infection. Ventilation, though still worthwhile, is likely to have a lesser impact.

“People have been focused on poorly ventilated spaces and thinking about airborne transmission over metres or across a room. I’m not saying that doesn’t happen, but I think still the greatest risk of exposure is when you’re close to someone,” said Prof Jonathan Reid, director of the University of Bristol’s Aerosol Research Centre and the study’s lead author.

[snip][end]

Just to reiterate - I know this has been discussed and debated since this pandemic emerged. Including here on this board.

What is your highest risk? From small airborne droplets circulating in a room for an hour, or from larger droplets exhaled (coughed, sneezed, whatever) from somebody at close range?

This study continues to suggest -- IT IS THE LATTER.

The smaller airborne droplets start losing their ability to infect mostly after 5 minutes, and pretty much completely after 20.

Social distancing in indoor spaces continues to be the most effective mitigation.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I wear an approved N95 and distance myself. It makes elevator waits rather agonizing, but otherwise is not that big a deal.

My particular peeve is more related to testing. Maybe it makes no difference given how many cases are asymptomatic and never get tested at all, but we were promised things that the government lacks the capability to actually deliver in a timely manner.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/20 ... masks.html

Not a fan, necessarily but THANK YOU

Rep. Lori Trahan, Sen. Bernie Sanders reintroduce Masks for All Act to get Americans N95 masks

The lawmakers said they’d push to use the Defense Production Act if necessary to bolster supply and eliminate mask shortages, while also providing free masks for pick up at post offices, pharmacies, schools and testing and vaccination sites.
For the FUCKING life of me I cannot understand why JOE has not done this already :twisted:
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Study: Cannabis compounds prevent coronavirus from entering human cells
A new study published by researchers at Oregon State University found hemp compounds have the ability to prevent the virus that causes COVID-19 from entering human cells.

Findings of the study led by Richard van Breemen, a researcher with Oregon State’s Global Hemp Innovation Center, College of Pharmacy and Linus Pauling Institute, were published this week in the Journal of Natural Products.......cut

.....According to a press release from OSU, Van Breemen and collaborators, including scientists at Oregon Health & Science University, found that a pair of cannabinoid acids bind to the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, blocking a critical step in the process the virus uses to infect people.

The compounds are cannabigerolic acid, or CBGA, and cannabidiolic acid, CBDA, and the spike protein is the same drug target used in COVID-19 vaccines and antibody therapy. A drug target is any molecule critical to the process a disease follows, meaning its disruption can thwart infection or disease progression.

“These cannabinoid acids are abundant in hemp and in many hemp extracts,” van Breemen said. “They are not controlled substances like THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, and have a good safety profile in humans. And our research showed the hemp compounds were equally effective against variants of SARS-CoV-2, including variant B.1.1.7, which was first detected in the United Kingdom, and variant B.1.351, first detected in South Africa.” Those two variants are also known the alpha and beta variant, respectively........
So basically its not cbd that you buy in the store but rather raw cbd that hasnt been heated called CBDA
The compounds are cannabigerolic acid, or CBGA, and cannabidiolic acid, CBDA, and the spike protein is the same drug target used in COVID-19 vaccines and antibody therapy. A drug target is any molecule critical to the process a disease follows, meaning its disruption can thwart infection or disease progression.

“These cannabinoid acids are abundant in hemp and in many hemp extracts,” van Breemen said. “They are not controlled substances like THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, and have a good safety profile in humans. And our research showed the hemp compounds were equally effective against variants of SARS-CoV-2, including variant B.1.1.7, which was first detected in the United Kingdom, and variant B.1.351, first detected in South Africa.” Those two variants are also known the alpha and beta variant, respectively.......
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:25 pm I wear an approved N95 and distance myself. It makes elevator waits rather agonizing, but otherwise is not that big a deal.

My particular peeve is more related to testing. Maybe it makes no difference given how many cases are asymptomatic and never get tested at all, but we were promised things that the government lacks the capability to actually deliver in a timely manner.
Anybody else see this? Dr. Fauci has boarded the "everybody's gonna get it" train.

If it wasn't already clear that Biden administration threw in the towel weeks ago, it is, now.

Bloomberg Quicktake
@Quicktake

"Sooner or later, virtually everybody is going to wind up getting exposed and likely get infected."

Fauci says Covid won't be eradicated like smallpox, but vaccinations and boosters can help control the virus https://trib.al/bEGjAeM

[VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/i/events/1481321095345016834

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

This is happening everywhere, I believe. It's certainly happening up in Canada too. Omnicron is so contagious and widely spread there's just no stopping it at this point.

That said, I still don't plan on getting it. I'll do my best, but hard when my son is in school and I pick him up every day. They all wear masks though and so far it's been OK.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Supreme Court blocks nationwide vaccine and testing mandate for large businesses, allows health care worker vaccine mandate to take effect
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/politics ... index.html

CNN)The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Joe Biden's vaccine or testing requirement aimed at large businesses, but it allowed a vaccine mandate for certain health care workers to go into effect nationwide.

In freezing a lower court opinion that allowed the regulation to go into effect nationwide, the majority sent a clear message the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, charged with protecting workplace safety, overstepped its authority in issuing such a sweeping emergency directive that would impact millions of workers. In contrast, the justices said that a separate agency could issue a rule to protect the health and safety of Medicare and Medicaid patients.

[snip]

Liberal Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan issued a blistering dissent.

"When we are wise, we know not to displace the judgments of experts, acting within the sphere Congress marked out and under Presidential control, to deal with emergency conditions," they wrote. "Today, we are not wise. In the face of a still-raging pandemic, this Court tells the agency charged with protecting worker safety that it may not do so in all the workplaces needed. As disease and death continue to mount, this Court tells the agency that it cannot respond in the most effective way possible."

[snip]

During oral arguments, the Biden administration had asked that at the very least, if the court says employers can't require the employees to get the vaccine, it should leave in place an alternate requirement for masking and frequent testing. The majority rejected that request Thursday.

[snip]

Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law, said the ruling on the business mandate could have wide-reaching effects in future cases about the power of government.

"These cases were not referenda on vaccine mandates -- which can still come from states, local governments, and private businesses -- they were referenda on whether these kinds of expert policy decisions are better made by agency experts accountable to the President or by judges accountable to no one," Vladeck said. "And if the answer is the latter, that's going to be true long after, and in contexts far beyond, the immediate response to the Covid pandemic."

[snip][end]

Note that the majority on the Court rejected it all - not just vaccine mandates, but masking and testing mandates. Not one inch was given.

So I ask the court this: are we in fact being told that OSHA cannot make sure that workplaces are safe and protected from viruses and bacteria? If there was a cholera outbreak at a plant, it could not be shut down for that? Because this seems to be the ridiculous position they are taking.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Drak

Post by Drak »

ProfX wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:45 pm Supreme Court blocks nationwide vaccine and testing mandate for large businesses, allows health care worker vaccine mandate to take effect
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/politics ... index.html

CNN)The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked President Joe Biden's vaccine or testing requirement aimed at large businesses, but it allowed a vaccine mandate for certain health care workers to go into effect nationwide.

In freezing a lower court opinion that allowed the regulation to go into effect nationwide, the majority sent a clear message the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, charged with protecting workplace safety, overstepped its authority in issuing such a sweeping emergency directive that would impact millions of workers. In contrast, the justices said that a separate agency could issue a rule to protect the health and safety of Medicare and Medicaid patients.

[snip]

Liberal Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan issued a blistering dissent.

"When we are wise, we know not to displace the judgments of experts, acting within the sphere Congress marked out and under Presidential control, to deal with emergency conditions," they wrote. "Today, we are not wise. In the face of a still-raging pandemic, this Court tells the agency charged with protecting worker safety that it may not do so in all the workplaces needed. As disease and death continue to mount, this Court tells the agency that it cannot respond in the most effective way possible."

[snip]

During oral arguments, the Biden administration had asked that at the very least, if the court says employers can't require the employees to get the vaccine, it should leave in place an alternate requirement for masking and frequent testing. The majority rejected that request Thursday.

[snip]

Steve Vladeck, CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the University of Texas School of Law, said the ruling on the business mandate could have wide-reaching effects in future cases about the power of government.

"These cases were not referenda on vaccine mandates -- which can still come from states, local governments, and private businesses -- they were referenda on whether these kinds of expert policy decisions are better made by agency experts accountable to the President or by judges accountable to no one," Vladeck said. "And if the answer is the latter, that's going to be true long after, and in contexts far beyond, the immediate response to the Covid pandemic."

[snip][end]

Note that the majority on the Court rejected it all - not just vaccine mandates, but masking and testing mandates. Not one inch was given.

So I ask the court this: are we in fact being told that OSHA cannot make sure that workplaces are safe and protected from viruses and bacteria? If there was a cholera outbreak at a plant, it could not be shut down for that? Because this seems to be the ridiculous position they are taking.
Yep. Like I said in the other thread, you are required to wear a mask around hazardous gas. Covid is hazardous. And the healthcare mandate stands, so they know covid is bad, and this makes the ruling a contradiction during a deadly pandemic. The ruling is political bullshit.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

GOP using false legal arguments to KILL AMERICANS
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:10 pm GOP using false legal arguments to KILL AMERICANS
There is a eugenicist heading up the CDC, Dem mayors are forcing public teachers, students and staff into unsafe schools; and now Dr. Fauci is saying all of us are going to get infected. We are on our own.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells