Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Introduce yourself, or talk about what's happening in your life
sam lefthand

Re: Introduce Yourself: Old and New

Post by sam lefthand »

ben shaton

Post by ben shaton »

I used to listen to Big Eddie on Air America, and joined the Ed Schultz Board. I live in San Diego and am now happily retired. I enjoy hiking and Mission Trails, Daley Ranch, and Elfin Forest are a few of my favorite places. I watch a lot of videos, and listen to podcasts and music at home.

I am very unhappy with our divisive political system that is unresponsive to the needs of people in my country who don't have huge amounts of money. When I hear "American Exceptionalism", I think about the one nation that isn't considered Third World but refuses things like Universal Health Coverage for all it's people.
Democracy dies behind a paywall.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Hey Ben Welcome Back.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:56 pm Image
I thought it was "Troll."
When you vote left, you vote right.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ben shaton wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:10 pm I used to listen to Big Eddie on Air America, and joined the Ed Schultz Board. I live in San Diego and am now happily retired. I enjoy hiking and Mission Trails, Daley Ranch, and Elfin Forest are a few of my favorite places. I watch a lot of videos, and listen to podcasts and music at home.

I am very unhappy with our divisive political system that is unresponsive to the needs of people in my country who don't have huge amounts of money. When I hear "American Exceptionalism", I think about the one nation that isn't considered Third World but refuses things like Universal Health Coverage for all it's people.
Hey Ben, we're practically neighbors. I live in Coronado so I'm familiar with the names of those places. I've wanted to hike Mission Trails for awhile but something, and laziness, seems to keep me from doing it. Maybe during the winter or early Spring, when it's cooler, I'll give it a go. I've seen too many news stories about people being rescued from Mission Trails because of heat and/or dehydration.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:00 pm I thought it was "Troll."
No, that's just what my girlfriend calls me when she's being extra sweet.

:D
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:08 pm No, that's just what my girlfriend calls me when she's being extra sweet.

:D
I'd hate to see what she calls you when she's mad at you. :lol:
gounion

Post by gounion »

ben shaton wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:10 pm I used to listen to Big Eddie on Air America, and joined the Ed Schultz Board. I live in San Diego and am now happily retired. I enjoy hiking and Mission Trails, Daley Ranch, and Elfin Forest are a few of my favorite places. I watch a lot of videos, and listen to podcasts and music at home.

Hi Ben. Your name did sound familiar to me. Welcome to the board.
ben shaton

Post by ben shaton »

Number6 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:04 pm Hey Ben, we're practically neighbors. I live in Coronado so I'm familiar with the names of those places. I've wanted to hike Mission Trails for awhile but something, and laziness, seems to keep me from doing it. Maybe during the winter or early Spring, when it's cooler, I'll give it a go. I've seen too many news stories about people being rescued from Mission Trails because of heat and/or dehydration.
Last Sunday I hiked there for three hours when it wasn't much above 70 F. I hiked above Hwy 52 through the Camp Elliott extension until I got to the No Trespassing sign, and turned around. Today would be way too hot, as Santee was in the 90's. It'll be much better after we get some rain and the canyons and lakes get more water and hills aren't so brown. I live in Bay Park and am looking forward to the opening of the extension of the Blue Line Trolley on Nov 21.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ben shaton wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:49 pm Last Sunday I hiked there for three hours when it wasn't much above 70 F. I hiked above Hwy 52 through the Camp Elliott extension until I got to the No Trespassing sign, and turned around. Today would be way too hot, as Santee was in the 90's. It'll be much better after we get some rain and the canyons and lakes get more water and hills aren't so brown. I live in Bay Park and am looking forward to the opening of the extension of the Blue Line Trolley on Nov 21.
Compared to others on this board we're just minutes away.

The weather these last couple of days are like August weather and the temperatures were in the high 80s or low 90s is very unusual. I've mainly stayed indoors to avoid the heat reading. Finished one book yesterday and started another book today. When the weather cools, starting Tuesday, I'll resume my walks around Coronado. The walks are usually 3-4 miles and sometimes I'll take a long 7-mile walk around the Island.

Ain't it great being in one of the nation's best spots to live?
ben shaton

Post by ben shaton »

Number6 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:19 pm Compared to others on this board we're just minutes away.

The weather these last couple of days are like August weather and the temperatures were in the high 80s or low 90s is very unusual. I've mainly stayed indoors to avoid the heat reading. Finished one book yesterday and started another book today. When the weather cools, starting Tuesday, I'll resume my walks around Coronado. The walks are usually 3-4 miles and sometimes I'll take a long 7-mile walk around the Island.

Ain't it great being in one of the nation's best spots to live?
I like living here, for me the advantages/disadvantages ratio is the greatest here. I'll usually walk somewhere for at least an hour a day, if just around my neighborhood like Tecolote Canyon or Mission Bay Park. Yesterday was 92 F at the airport a record for the date, today not quite as warm. I like the weather more fallish as I'm so over with Summer. We used to get periods in the summer when it would be mild, not so much in recent years.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ben shaton wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:53 pm I like living here, for me the advantages/disadvantages ratio is the greatest here. I'll usually walk somewhere for at least an hour a day, if just around my neighborhood like Tecolote Canyon or Mission Bay Park. Yesterday was 92 F at the airport a record for the date, today not quite as warm. I like the weather more fallish as I'm so over with Summer. We used to get periods in the summer when it would be mild, not so much in recent years.
One of the nice things about the San Diego area is most of it walkable. I've taken the bus from Coronado to downtown San Diego and walked to, around, and back from Balboa Park and then back to downtown San Diego to catch the bus home. I've been thinking of taking the bus to 13th Street in Imperial Beach and then walking the bike path back to Coronado, a distance of about seven miles, passing the wetlands at the southern end of San Diego Bay, along the bay, the Cays, the Amphib Base, and to Glorietta Bay which is probably the prettiest part of the walk.
Toonces

Post by Toonces »

As you(s) probably know, I'm one of the few board Canadians.

Politics is a hobby. I choose my hobbies poorly.

I describe myself as a liberal but a pragmatic one so I may not be reluctant to join the latest movement and don't necessarily take a position simply because it is the "liberal" position.

Music: Big Peter Gabriel fan, solo and Genesis. Enjoy Genesis from Gabriel years into the Wilson years. I also like Warren Zevon (underrated song writer), Tragically Hip (Canadian band), Elton John, Billy Joel, The Who, Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Jethro Tull, Bobby Darin... Currently listening to Art Blakely, and for some reason, I also enjoy Billie Eilish. So, it's diverse.

Enjoy watching hockey, baseball, football. Not much in to basketball.

[END BABBLE]
hottentot venus

Post by hottentot venus »

I made it!!!

I'm here!!

What I miss???
Blue Lives don't exist.

Stop drawing equivalence between racial identity and a job

Your career is a choice. Being black isn't.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

hottentot venus wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:57 pm I made it!!!

I'm here!!

What I miss???
Venus, We Have Missed You.

You have missed much.

Glenn is still a Troll.

Blue Grass (Green) still offers his brand of Bull Shit.

Cons are still cons.

Missed You.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
gounion

Post by gounion »

hottentot venus wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:57 pm I made it!!!

I'm here!!

What I miss???
WELCOME! You can read the post pinned on the main page to see what happened.

I hope you didn't try to get on before and I deleted your account. I've been handling the board since we came back, and we have as many as 200 fake accounts a day (I deleted 250 this morning and 107 just now) and, after the first few months, I don't go through them, and just delete them all. But when you came on, it was a few minutes after I deleted a bunch, and then you were the only one, and of course I recognized your name right away.

So if I had, I apologize profusely. You're ALWAYS welcome here!