EARTH....

News and events of the day
Motor City

Re: EARTH....

Post by Motor City »

Shipwreck Historical Society announces discovery of two Lake Superior shipwrecks
The Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society, along with Marine Sonic Technology, has announced the discovery of two vessels that sank in Lake Superior on Nov. 18, 1914.

On that day, the Steamship C.F. Curtis was towing the schooner barges Selden E. Marvin and Annie M. Peterson from Baraga, Michigan, to Tonawanda, New York, all with a load of lumber. The three ships encountered a powerful storm, and all three were never seen again. Twenty-eight lives were lost.

In 2021, the Great Lakes Shipwreck Historical Society located nine lost vessels, including the C.F. Curtis. But, the Marvin and Peterson remained missing.

One year later, in the summer of 2022, the crew of the shipwreck society's research vessel, David Boyd, came across another shipwreck within a few miles of the Curtis. Using the organization's remotely operated vehicle on the wreck revealed it was the Marvin.

Society officials said finding the Curtis and the Marvin are significant historic discoveries in American history, as they were all part of Hines Lumber, one of the biggest lumber companies of that era. On Nov. 18, 1914, they lost almost one quarter of their fleet in a single storm.......
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Massive eruption of Kamchatka volcano in Russia's Far East

A volcano on the Kamchatka peninsula in Russia’s Far East erupted with a mighty blast Tuesday, sending ash and smoke into the stratosphere.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/4 ... s-Far-East
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Impact Day: Potentially severe storms to drench Central Florida

Central Florida may experience heavy rain today as potentially severe storms move into the area.

"A storm system continues to fire up in the Gulf of Mexico which will throw all kinds of energy our way," WESH 2 First Warning Weather meteorologist Eric Burris said.

https://www.wesh.com/article/storms-sev ... a/43581349
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Didn't Fort Lauderdale get 20 inches yesterday?

For people that didn't think ENSO was on steroids, we now see that it is. They have an El Nino starting up in South America. The timing and position are consistent with such an event. It turns out that in history there have been three cases of an extended La Nina going straight into a strong El Nino. That is, in fact, a three for three shot, since we only know of three extended La Ninas.

All this of course is based on a limited data record, so take with grains of salt.

It is, however in keeping with the laws of probability and the physics of systems far out of equilibrium.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Yep they got hammered.

Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:36 am Didn't Fort Lauderdale get 20 inches yesterday?

For people that didn't think ENSO was on steroids, we now see that it is. They have an El Nino starting up in South America. The timing and position are consistent with such an event. It turns out that in history there have been three cases of an extended La Nina going straight into a strong El Nino. That is, in fact, a three for three shot, since we only know of three extended La Ninas.

All this of course is based on a limited data record, so take with grains of salt.

It is, however in keeping with the laws of probability and the physics of systems far out of equilibrium.
Fort Lauderdale's rainy season begins in mid-to late April and their average annual rainfall for April is just under 4 inches and about 63 inches per year. In the last 24-hours, they've had over 20 inches of rain. Some are saying it's a 1,000 year event and others say it has to do with climate change. I'd go with the climate change theory since we know the Earth's climate is changing and it's not unreasonable to believe the rain is connected to climate change.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Mini hydro company raises $18M to generate power in canals
In the same way that putting solar on rooftops avoids disturbing the land, making use of existing canals means the hydropower turbines don't have to disturb the natural environment.

“Our infrastructure represents a new sector of renewable energy real estate,” Morris said in an interview.

Irrigation canals in the U.S. are made of concrete or stone and transport water from main sources to fields. Emrgy units look something like a propeller with blades rotating parallel to the ground. Water in the canals turns them and then flows past; there is no dam. The spinning turbines do change how the water moves through the canals, slowing it, so Emrgy works closely with water operators.

Emrgy's installations are very small in the commercial sense — between 2 and 10 megawatts. But that's approximately enough to power a neighborhood or a small campus.

It “can amount to a pretty significant amount of power,” said John Gulliver, an engineering professor emeritus at the University of Minnesota, given the miles of canals.....
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Germany bids farewell to its last nuclear plants, eyes hydrogen future

LINGEN, Germany (AP) — For 35 years, the Emsland nuclear power plant in northwestern Germany has reliably provided millions of homes with electricity and many with well-paid jobs in what was once an agricultural backwater.

Now, it and the country’s two other remaining nuclear plants are being shut down. Germany long ago decided to phase out both fossil fuels and nuclear power over concerns that neither is a sustainable source of energy.

https://apnews.com/article/germany-nucl ... b648ed06a1
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Snowmelt leads to heavy flooding from Southwest to Rockies

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — A rapid spring snowmelt after an unusually wet winter is unleashing flooding from the Southwest to the Rockies, causing residents there and in the Upper Midwest to stock up on sandbags amid surging creeks and rivers.

In Flagstaff, Arizona, neighbors on one street have been working side by side since Tuesday with shovels to stave off floodwaters from their homes.

https://www.9news.com/article/weather/s ... 7020382fb9
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Magnitude 7.0 earthquake hits Indonesia: USGS

A strong 7.0-magnitude earthquake was recorded in the sea north of the main Indonesian island of Java, the US Geological Survey (USGS) said on Friday, with no immediate reports of damage or casualties.

The quake struck at 4:55 pm local time (0955 GMT), the USGS said, with Indonesia's geological agency ruling out a tsunami after the epicenter was detected at a depth of 594 kilometers (370 miles).

https://www.rawstory.com/magnitude-7-0- ... esia-usgs/
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Shit, and EQ are scary.

Hope not too many die from this.
I sigh in your general direction.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Boater, 39, killed by lightning strike in Florida

A 39-year-old man was killed and another person was injured when lightning struck their boat in Brevard County, Florida, on Sunday. The incident took place on the Indian River, making it the first known lightning fatality this year in the United States.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission identified the boater as Peter Strong of West Melbourne, Florida. First responders "attempted life-saving measures on the operator of the vessel" but could not revive him, according to officials. A passenger on Strong's boat suffered minor injuries and was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/severe-w ... da/1513469
bradman

Post by bradman »

i'm about fed up with California and Canada. One's supplying the moister and the other the cold weather. Between the both of them spring is starting to suck.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Can't be all bad, the last two rain storms here were just drizzles.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Post by bradman »

Ya, a drizzle when the air is warm. Throw Canadian air into the mix and it gets snowy and all blowy around. Three days of riding in near 80 degree weather only to wake up to that? Ya, screw that. Fucking jet stream.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We get the other end of the same stick.

In both cases, it can't decide which season to be. Here, we tend to alternate 3-4 day periods of the worst of both. It's either too hot, or cold and gloomy. Throw in allergy season, and it's my least favorite part of the year in SoCal.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:02 pm We get the other end of the same stick.

In both cases, it can't decide which season to be. Here, we tend to alternate 3-4 day periods of the worst of both. It's either too hot, or cold and gloomy. Throw in allergy season, and it's my least favorite part of the year in SoCal.
All the rain we've had in Southern California resulted caused massive Spring blooms which means there will be more pollen in the air causing those of us with Hay Fever problems.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

The First Natural Gas Ban in the U.S. Just Got Shot Down

When the city of Berkeley, California passed the country’s first ban on the use of natural gas in new buildings in the summer of 2019, environmental advocates celebrated the move as an important precedent for other cities to follow. And follow they did: There are now at least 99 similar ordinances in place across the country, the vast majority of which require appliances like stoves and heaters to be electric. But on Monday, a federal appeals court threw many of those bans into question.

A three-judge panel of the Ninth U.S Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco ruled that Berkeley’s ban is preempted by a federal law, and is therefore illegal. The decision marks a victory for the California Restaurant Association, the organization that sued the city shortly after it passed the ordinance banning the use of natural gas in new construction, claiming that such a measure would damage the restaurant industry.

https://gizmodo.com/the-first-natural-g ... 1850352032
ap215

Post by ap215 »

At least two killed as tornadoes, severe storms sweep through central U.S.

Strong storms including tornadoes, winds and hail moved through parts of the central U.S. on Wednesday, killing at least two people, causing injuries, destroying homes and leaving thousands without power.

The National Weather Service began issuing tornado and severe thunderstorm warnings Wednesday evening in Oklahoma, Kansas and Iowa, with forecasters warning people to find shelter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oklahoma-t ... entral-us/
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

contrary to what dumb cons think
I sigh in your general direction.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Deadly, Powerful Tornado Hits Central Myanmar

Multiple people are dead and hundreds of homes were destroyed in the capital region of Myanmar.

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/ ... al-myanmar
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Suspected tornado rips through Sullivan County

CALLICOON CENTER – Residents said it sounded like a freight train when a suspected tornado tore through the Roscoe and Callicoon Center areas of Sullivan County Saturday night.

Damage appeared to be in a straight line going from southwest to northeast.

https://midhudsonnews.com/2023/04/23/su ... an-county/
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ZoWie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:02 pm We get the other end of the same stick.

I'm quoting you so you'll get a notification of my post, not because that post has to do with this post.

:D

I saw this Twitter account's tweet, and it caused me to think of ZoWie:

We now have experimental space weather forecasts. Yeah!

Space Weather Watch@spacewxwatch

(UPDATED) TONIGHT'S AURORA FORECAST:

Based on current data, we've moved our possible Northern Lights viewing farther south. A moderate, strong, or severe geomagnetic storm is possible.
Aurora viewing is likely in the United States tonight as Earth is impacted by a strong solar storm. The most favorable cloud conditions look to be over the Midwest, Plains and parts of the Great Lakes and less favorable conditions in the Northeast and Northwest.

That red line for viewing Northern Lights is awfully far South. I've never seen the Northern lights further South than Southern Montana.

According to this forecast I would be able to see them from Ft Collins Colorado. One time I thought I could almost see them there. I could see a glow to the north that I thought might be Northern lights over the horizon. That was in 1985. A strange fell winter that year.

Here's the link to that tweet: https://twitter.com/spacewxwatch/status ... 7566145536
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Funny you should bring that up today. There was a predicted CME arrival from one of the filaments I mentioned, that was supposed to increase geomagnetic activity to the lower end of the storm scale.

It hit right on schedule, and many times stronger than expected. Kp went briefly to 8 a few hours ago, and now it's down to 7.5.

Kp=8 is the highest for this solar cycle, and 9 is as high as it can go.

It's a historic magnetic storm.

Were it nearer the equinox I'd be looking at the Mt. Wilson webcam to see if there's aurora in LA. It's above the temperature inversion, and it's a cloudy day so presumably it would hold down the city light and we'd have a shot at aurora in LA.

Were there to be aurora in LA, it would be the first time since an X15/extra bright flare knocked out power in Canada and caused aurora all the way down to Mexico.

Except there has been no flare above class M in at least a week. It's not a flare, and filament eruptions are a tiny fraction of an X class flare in their energy and mass output.

Radio propagation over the poles is completely shut down by particle flow rendering the ionosphere opaque. In lower latitudes, I would expect that VHF would have the kind of skip propagation that is usually encountered on HF.

Completely unexpected. We expected a ripple and got a tsunami. Go figure.

Here's why I get excited in solar peaks. They rarely follow the rules as we know them at all, then we learn.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Supreme Court deals blow to oil companies by turning away climate cases

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday allowed lawsuits brought by municipalities seeking to hold energy companies accountable for climate change to move forward in a loss for business interests.

The court turned away oil company appeals in five cases involving claims brought by cities and municipalities in Colorado, Maryland, California, Hawaii and Rhode Island as part of efforts to hold businesses accountable for the effects of climate change.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/suprem ... -rcna49823