EARTH....

News and events of the day
rainwater

Re: EARTH....

Post by rainwater »

...is it january yet....
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

rainwater wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:17 pm ...is it january yet....
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Unusual snowless November continues for many US cities

Major cities across the Midwest and Rocky Mountains have faced an unusually snowless November thus far -- and some may even shatter some long-standing records.

Last Saturday, Denver peaked at 80 degrees Fahrenheit, the second-highest temperature in November the city has ever recorded. As the city experiences higher-than-usual temperatures, one thing is noticeably missing for this time of year: snow.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winter-w ... es/1046435
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

LA had a short, rare, getting more rare, cold spell for most of last week. Cold being relative, let's say 63 degrees F in day time. People who love to post poolside selfies bragging about how hot it is had nervous tremors, but now they are back to normal. We have regained our recent tendency over the past 5 or so years to break daily high temperature records every time it warms up even a little. These records are now once again falling, in little calendar day rows like those targets in carnival shooting galleries, ding ding ding. Weather forecasters are back to bragging about how great it is to be uncomfortably hot in November. Oh, and don't park on the street, the fire trucks need the lanes to get through and save your house, maybe.

I am reminded why I consider Los Angeles to be a mental illness. The more screwed up the climate gets, the happier the people here get.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

I am reminded why I consider Los Angeles to be a mental illness. The more screwed up the climate gets, the happier the people here get.
i guess thats why i call this contry, this capitalism, a mental illness...todays humans are easily provoked to smash one
another, do it freely just by using little fingers to type little letters into words that are mean snotty and
which if said in person could almost be funny. in person these snotty comments and shitty words would have diff affect
than..the written word.
the written word...oh the power FB was hunting, like Bannon they showed the world how shitty nasty and degrading
anyone! can be when using FB...a 'friendly' site to rage and wage made-up shit by typing little words that SO many can see.
why, its almost like being a celeb on tv.

bannon sought division distraction and destruction of the country constitution and democracy. FB helped that quite a bit.
split and divide is the resulting goal of FB and the bannons who promote division of the population, seeking fighting
anger and provocations as a Control distraction while the physical damage being done to the earth rolls on unabated.

much of the public is doing exactly what bannon hoped for, dividing and hating. the red congress loves it.
FB isnt enough now...is it. some come to places like this to divide and hate.
meanwhile all this distraction from the loss of environment and resources needed for eight billion 2legs
seems very effective, tho it is not helping better anything. not a thing.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Power Out for 2,500, Storm Damage Reported in Parts of CT

A line of strong storms moved through Connecticut Friday, knocking out power to thousands and causing damage in areas of the state.

Power Outages
Eversource is reporting more than 2,500 power outages and the highest numbers are in Stonington and Ledyard.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loc ... y/2650593/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Nantucket Tornado Warning Expires After Heavy Wind, Rain Across New England

A tornado warning has expired after being declared in Nantucket on a day of storms across New England.

The strong frontal system has been bringing heavy rain, gusty winds and thunderstorms across New England Friday. The storms left people without power and flooded streets.

https://www.nbcboston.com/weather/stori ... d/2565323/
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

California may start naming heat waves, like the way we already name hurricanes.

LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... california
It also comes on the heels of a report by Lara’s climate insurance working group that recommended the ranking of heat waves in order to warn communities and encourage policymakers to craft prevention strategies and risk-reduction measures.

Though the California bill will only propose ranking heat waves, it’s possible that the state could also consider a system of naming heat waves in the future, the legislators said.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:22 pm California may start naming heat waves, like the way we already name hurricanes.

LA Times:

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... california
Interesting, also wondering what heat waves and heat events will do to property insurance policies and companies.

For instance because of my expertise and observation for a long time I wouldnt buy EQ on the house because I figured with a 15% deductible the likelihood is that it would take a really big one to collect on and if it is that big it would do so much damage the entire industry would collapse and there would be little to nothing to collect, even with the fund known as CIGA.

So what kind of delightful events can we expect directly as a result of people like trump and the cons on this board who support him by not opposing him have in store for us by denying the existence of global warming?
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Occasionally I speculate on possible effects of a really bad wildfire in a place like Beverly Hills, and what the insurance consequences of instant gigabucks of destruction might be. I don't have the expertise to really predict what could happen in the insurance business, but I figure it can't be good.

These fires, of course, nearly always happen during or after the ever increasing heat waves, and the perpetual drought makes the problem worse every year.

Mostly I just remember how out of hand this kind of thing can get. In the initial stages of such a fire, it becomes the weather, and nothing humans do can stop it from doing whatever the laws of physics cause it to do. People are in denial. I drive down, say, Beverly Glen, thinking only that I'd sure not want to be anywhere near there when the inevitable happens, which it will at the rate we're going. There is going to be a very destructive event, and possibly one with mass casualties.

I guess the best people to know would be those who went through other fully anticipated and still under-prepared-for catastrophes like Katrina in New Orleans. Mostly, all anyone in LA has done to prepare for anything like that is to buy guns, and now, to propose that we start naming other weather catastrophes too.

I have a name for the whole thing. "Dada."
Last edited by ZoWie on Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:46 pm Occasionally I speculate on possible effects of a really bad wildfire in a place like Beverly Hills, and what the insurance consequences of instant gigabucks of destruction might be. I don't have the expertise to really predict what could happen in the insurance business, but I figure it can't be good.

Mostly I just remember how out of hand this kind of thing can get. People are in denial. I drive down, say, Beverly Glen, thinking only that I'd sure not want to be anywhere near there when the inevitable happens, which it will at the rate we're going. There is going to be a very destructive event, and possibly one with mass casualties.

I guess the best people to know would be those who went through catastrophes like Katrina in New Orleans. Mostly, all anyone in LA has done to prepare for anything like that is to buy guns, and now, to propose that we start naming other weather catastrophes too.

I have a name for the whole thing. "Dada."
Well you are in fire an EQ land, and I assume you mean either or both as in a big event.

Where I am now I have fire but the fault is far enough away that EQ isnt as big a threat as when I lived where marijuana became famous.

My biggest takeaway after all those years was NOT that property/casualty insurance companies (home, auto, etc) cheat you but that health insurance companies do. That the salesperson percentage is ridiculous, though in most group cases they get a big commission up front then it drops to a small percentage.

When it comes to property/casualty insurance whether personal lines or commercial lines I found that all in all the vast majority of the time you got paid what you deserved to get and if you thought you were cheated then you didnt understand how things like actual cash value vs replacement cost works, etc. At times I would lash out at them so I am guilty of saying bad things about them but that is because I was a client advocate when I was in business, always. But I hated my job and had I not been an owner I would have left and moved to LA and pursued my dream. I wish I had.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The only dream in LA that amounts to anything right now is how to get out of the place. It's a failed 1950s social experiment.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:55 pm The only dream in LA that amounts to anything right now is how to get out of the place. It's a failed 1950s social experiment.
I think of this when I think of LA and your posts, sometimes anyway

https://youtu.be/yg1Cx26-928
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:59 pm I think of this when I think of LA and your posts, sometimes anyway

https://youtu.be/yg1Cx26-928
All I get from that clip is nostalgia. LA hasn't felt like that in a long time. The streets are jammed with cars going 5 MPH, if you're lucky. The only people driving hemis are the ones who come out late at night and spin donuts for their friends, messing up traffic for everyone else. The only game in town is homeless vs cops, and it takes over neighborhoods, and you can get typhus from being within 600 feet of it. LA is a hole.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

And I forgot to mention that the legendary sunshine turned into a curse, to the point where anyone could take seriously such ideas as giving heat waves names, so we can rank them by which ones killed the most people and damaged the most property. Or turning off the electricity for whole neighborhoods so they won't burn and they burn anyway because the lines that cause the problems stay energized and their owners are more interested in stock buybacks than paying to fix them. Or chasing the homeless out of one neighborhood that's been rendered uninhabitable while just moving the problem somewhere else, ultimately ruining entire large parts of the city.

This is theater of the absurd. It's ironic fun to watch, but you don't want to live in that mental condition any more than you have to. People handle absurdity badly.

Oh, and that little cove in Malibu that they used for all those old shows? Climate change. It'll be gone in 10 years. Don't base your life on illusions created by light dancing on screens.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:34 pm And I forgot to mention that the legendary sunshine turned into a curse, to the point where anyone could take seriously such ideas as giving heat waves names, so we can rank them by which ones killed the most people and damaged the most property. Or turning off the electricity for whole neighborhoods so they won't burn and they burn anyway because the lines that cause the problems stay energized and their owners are more interested in stock buybacks than paying to fix them. Or chasing the homeless out of one neighborhood that's been rendered uninhabitable while just moving the problem somewhere else, ultimately ruining entire large parts of the city.

This is theater of the absurd. It's ironic fun to watch, but you don't want to live in that mental condition any more than you have to. People handle absurdity badly.

Oh, and that little cove in Malibu that they used for all those old shows? Climate change. It'll be gone in 10 years. Don't base your life on illusions created by light dancing on screens.
I get all that, but you didnt spend your life as a Woody Allen joke...

https://youtu.be/QfUQzppLyDM
Number6

Post by Number6 »

We've been having an unusual heat wave for this time of the year. Granted, we get Santa Ana's during this time but that's because there is a high pressure over the Great Basin area (think Four Corner states). The heat wave we're now experiencing is from high pressure in the Pacific Ocean preventing cooler air from the North from flowing southward. Temperatures in the high 80s and low 90s along the coast and 90s in the desert. Humidifies along the coast are in the 20% range.

I'm glad the temperatures will dip back to high 60s and low 70s starting Tuesday.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Libertas wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:43 pm I get all that, but you didnt spend your life as a Woody Allen joke...

https://youtu.be/QfUQzppLyDM
I forgot to mention the neighborhood in central LA that the cops blew up, and now won't pay to rebuild. This city is a disease. You want nothing to do with it.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:12 pm This city is a disease. You want nothing to do with it.
I view all cities that way Zowie.

:lol:
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Longest partial lunar eclipse of this century is happening soon
The longest partial lunar eclipse of the year is happening soon, and people in all 50 states will be able to view it.

A lunar eclipse is when Earth makes its way between the sun and the moon, so that Earth’s shadow eclipses the moon.

During the upcoming partial lunar eclipse, happening in the overnight hours between Nov. 18 and 19, Earth’s shadow will cover 97% of the full moon.

It will be the longest so far this century (or in 580 years), at approximately three hours, 28 minutes and 23 seconds, according to NASA. It will by and far beat the record length of a total lunar eclipse this century, which happened in 2018 and lasted one hour and 43 minutes.

The partial eclipse will begin at about 2:19 a.m. EST, reach its max eclipse around 4 a.m. EST and end around 5:47 a.m. EST.
And its still fairly early into the century
ap215

Post by ap215 »

This was unusual to have a storm this strong in November

Shocking footage shows tornado crossing Long Island highway leaving behind debris following freak storm in NYC that included hail and 50mph winds

Shocking footage shows a tornado crossing a Long Island highway on Saturday following a freak storm in New York that swept through the Big Apple and went East, bringing quarter-sized hail and 50 mph winds.

Severe storms brought thunder, heavy rains and hail that swept across the area Saturday afternoon and even triggered a tornado warning for Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... m-NYC.html
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ap215 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:23 pm This was unusual to have a storm this strong in November

Shocking footage shows tornado crossing Long Island highway leaving behind debris following freak storm in NYC that included hail and 50mph winds

Shocking footage shows a tornado crossing a Long Island highway on Saturday following a freak storm in New York that swept through the Big Apple and went East, bringing quarter-sized hail and 50 mph winds.

Severe storms brought thunder, heavy rains and hail that swept across the area Saturday afternoon and even triggered a tornado warning for Nassau and Suffolk counties on Long Island.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... m-NYC.html
That sounds like it was a Dragon AP.

:|

We have them here too.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Egypt: Scorpions kill three and injure hundreds in Aswan

Scorpions in Egypt have stung three people to death in the southern city of Aswan after heavy storms brought them into the streets and homes.

Some 450 more people were injured by scorpion stings, a health ministry official said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-59274686
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

This is an important discovery. Studying it might unlock the secret for developing fusion as a viable energy source. Fusion as an energy source might help solve our global warming crisis.

:)

New mineral that shouldn’t exist at Earth’s surface found trapped in a diamond

https://www.zmescience.com/science/new- ... ond-05423/
The calcium silicate compound was surprising because we should never have been supposed to find it. The mineral formed hundreds of miles beneath Earth’s surface, inside the lower mantle between the core and the crust where temperature and pressure are ungodly high. Davemaoite’s structure is supposed to collapse outside the high-pressure environment of the mantle but since it was trapped in a diamond, the toughest material known to man, the mineral survived.

So what looked like a dark blemish turned out to be one of the rarest finds a geologist can ever hope to discover. And since davemaoite can host uranium and thorium, radioactive elements that are responsible for heating up Earth’s lower mantle, scientists believe that the newly discovered mineral can help answer some questions about Earth’s interior, with wide ramifications. For instance, the movements inside the planet’s lowest layers is believed to at least partially drive plate tectonics.

Davemaoite is only the second high-pressure mantle silicate ever seen on Earth’s surface. The other, named after Nobel laureate Percy Bridgman, was found inside a meteorite.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

first freeze tonite.

most of the snow has melted off the 13-teeners here. the 14-teeners dont even show a snow depth.
HST.