EARTH....

News and events of the day
rainwater

Re: EARTH....

Post by rainwater »

im used to seeing both moon and sun in the sky at the same time...mid afternoon...half moons usually...for many years
now in the SW.
at one time i had major tree veg to both east and west and didnt see this.
once i had open skies...it was way diff a situation.

ive seen this moon sky thing for some years now and realize its something i have to look for otherwise it
just happens in a slight fashion, a non obtrusive non-note worthy fashion.
sometimes ive seen it when im in town...then by the time i get home --not long-- ive forgotten it and dont look right
away, then its gone.
it is so slight a sight i think we miss it when its happening.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

NASA will make historic launch on Christmas Day

NASA’s launch of the James Webb telescope has again been delayed with the latest rescheduling placing its departure on Christmas Day.

The agency said on Tuesday “adverse weather conditions” at Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana resulted in the postponement of the event, which was scheduled for Dec. 24. Officials will conduct another weather review on Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/en ... istmas-day
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Well also at certain times in the moon's phases, it's in the sky every day, thing is that the sun has to be right not to make it invisible. This fall (now winter), it's been that way pretty much every day.

The past 24 hours had the most rain (2.8 inches) that I've ever measured over a one day period in this location, and we've lived here 15 years. No big deal in a lot of places, but here and by current standards, that's been a season's worth as often as not. Some spots in the mountains might have way more.

Should have seen the local Nooz trying to cover it. Choppers couldn't fly and vans couldn't get up roads. Channel 9 was reduced to one guy in a car, windows completely fogged up, defroster whooshing, saying that it was really pouring out there. The camera pointed at a fuzzy mess. Cut to the stock traffic camera at LAX. It had a clear shot, though shaking violently in the wind. We could see that traffic was completely stopped, all the way around the airport loop. Nothing was moving AT ALL.

Traffic wasn't moving that much better in the air. Should have seen the flight paths on the ADS-B plotter. Air controllers were making up a landing pattern as they went along, sending flights on woozy circles over the ocean in no particular order just to get final approaches separated right. There were departures, but not as many as there should have been. On possibly the busiest travel day of the year. I wonder how many flights were just cancelled altogether.

The nooz couldn't even cover the LAPD killing an innocent bystander (14 year old trying on a garment on the other side of a wall) when they emptied their guns at a bad guy trying to rob a store. I saw the headline on the Times Square webcam and looked it up online. These keystone kop scenes are becoming common, and would be comical if real people innocent of any crime didn't keep getting hurt or killed.

I come by my hatred for LA honestly.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:40 pm Well also at certain times in the moon's phases, it's in the sky every day, thing is that the sun has to be right not to make it invisible. This fall (now winter), it's been that way pretty much every day.

The past 24 hours had the most rain (2.8 inches) that I've ever measured over a one day period in this location, and we've lived here 15 years. No big deal in a lot of places, but here and by current standards, that's been a season's worth as often as not. Some spots in the mountains might have way more.

Should have seen the local Nooz trying to cover it. Choppers couldn't fly and vans couldn't get up roads. Channel 9 was reduced to one guy in a car, windows completely fogged up, defroster whooshing, saying that it was really pouring out there. The camera pointed at a fuzzy mess. Cut to the stock traffic camera at LAX. It had a clear shot, though shaking violently in the wind. We could see that traffic was completely stopped, all the way around the airport loop. Nothing was moving AT ALL.

Traffic wasn't moving that much better in the air. Should have seen the flight paths on the ADS-B plotter. Air controllers were making up a landing pattern as they went along, sending flights on woozy circles over the ocean in no particular order just to get final approaches separated right. There were departures, but not as many as there should have been. On possibly the busiest travel day of the year. I wonder how many flights were just cancelled altogether.

The nooz couldn't even cover the LAPD killing an innocent bystander (14 year old trying on a garment on the other side of a wall) when they emptied their guns at a bad guy trying to rob a store. I saw the headline on the Times Square webcam and looked it up online. These keystone kop scenes are becoming common, and would be comical if real people innocent of any crime didn't keep getting hurt or killed.

I come by my hatred for LA honestly.
Wonder what the effect of bottling water is on all this at least at the rate to which its grown in the last 20 years. If by pulling it out of the ground in one place and peeing it out in another, it seems it would end up more concentrated in areas of higher population and less in rural and small towns. what effect it has on rainfall and flooding.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

LA treats it and dumps it in the ocean. Two problems. First is that the soil has been baked dry and runoff starts immediately. Second is that it never rains in LA, until it does, and then it sets up atmospheric rivers and rains too much. This second problem tends to be made worse by the first one. It doesn't help when there have been a lot of fires and the roots that would hold water are gone.

This year it's really the same problem all the way from BC to Baja on the west coast, and coming in a year of unusually low water temperatures, it's interesting. Someone will do their Ph.D. in meteorology about it.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

arent you getting a buncha rain today...isnt there a big system over LA now.....heading east...
maybe its in NV now...
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

i heard reports Mammouth was expecting nine feet of snow....
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

rainwater wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:05 pm arent you getting a buncha rain today...isnt there a big system over LA now.....heading east...
maybe its in NV now...
Likely the same system. I already posted about it. Something's different, and ominous about it. It's too big, and the general parameters didn't favor something like it this year.

As I said, yesterday was the rainiest day in the 15 years I've lived here, and by plenty. One gets used to all the rain in LA coming at once, but this one was too big for this far south. This morning was thunder and lightning. That's supposed to happen in September, and even then, rarely.

No power failures in this storm... yet. The generator did come on in the previous one. Best investment we ever made.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

rainwater wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:07 pm i heard reports Mammouth was expecting nine feet of snow....
The local news said the Sierra Mountains were expected to get 3 7 feet of snow which is great for the snow pack.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:25 pm Likely the same system. I already posted about it. Something's different, and ominous about it. It's too big, and the general parameters didn't favor something like it this year.

As I said, yesterday was the rainiest day in the 15 years I've lived here, and by plenty. One gets used to all the rain in LA coming at once, but this one was too big for this far south. This morning was thunder and lightning. That's supposed to happen in September, and even then, rarely.

No power failures in this storm... yet. The generator did come on in the previous one. Best investment we ever made.
I've been here is Coronado for the past 17 years and I've seen heavier rain here. Over the last 24 hours we've received nearly an inch of rain which is a lot for us. It's unusual for us to get more than a half-inch of rain at once but not unknown.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

ap215 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:57 am NASA will make historic launch on Christmas Day

NASA’s launch of the James Webb telescope has again been delayed with the latest rescheduling placing its departure on Christmas Day.

The agency said on Tuesday “adverse weather conditions” at Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana resulted in the postponement of the event, which was scheduled for Dec. 24. Officials will conduct another weather review on Wednesday.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/en ... istmas-day
I have this image in my head. On planet light years away from Earth. They have technology equal to our own and they launch their version of the Webb telescope, We wind up looking at each and have a huge WTF moment.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

marindem01 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:46 pm I have this image in my head. On planet light years away from Earth. They have technology equal to our own and they launch their version of the Webb telescope, We wind up looking at each and have a huge WTF moment.
Sounds like an idea for a Farside cartoon.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:18 pm Sounds like an idea for a Farside cartoon.
Yeah, it does.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

UPDATE: Blizzard Blankets Sierra With Several Feet Of Snow; Shut Downs I-80, Highway 50; Whips Up 100 MPH Winds

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — A major Christmas weekend storm caused whiteout conditions with 100 mph winds, closing key mountain highways and ski resorts amid blowing snow in the Sierra Sunday with forecasters warning that travel could be difficult for several days.

The blinding driving conditions triggered a 20-car pile-up on southbound Highway 395 in Washoe Valley Sunday morning. The Washoe County Sheriff’s Department said at least three people were injured and the highway had been shutdown.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... to-nevada/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Deadly flooding hits Brazil, displaces thousands

(CNN) Heavy flooding has left at least 18 people dead and more than 280 injured in the northeast region of Brazil, officials say.

The floods have affected nearly 40 cities throughout the state of Bahia, Gov. Rui Costa told reporters in the city of Ilheus, one of the worst-hit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/26/americas ... index.html
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ap215 wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:46 am UPDATE: Blizzard Blankets Sierra With Several Feet Of Snow; Shut Downs I-80, Highway 50; Whips Up 100 MPH Winds

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — A major Christmas weekend storm caused whiteout conditions with 100 mph winds, closing key mountain highways and ski resorts amid blowing snow in the Sierra Sunday with forecasters warning that travel could be difficult for several days.

The blinding driving conditions triggered a 20-car pile-up on southbound Highway 395 in Washoe Valley Sunday morning. The Washoe County Sheriff’s Department said at least three people were injured and the highway had been shutdown.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... to-nevada/
They're telling people not to attempt the back roads to get to Vegas. Cars are breaking down, and there is absolutely no emergency road service available because they can't move either. They say don't call 911 because the authorities have no way to help, and you will die out there. In that many words.

In California you have to remind people that winter is for real, or at least it is in the mountains.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

60 Minutes, last night, had a report on how climate change is affecting the French wine industry. It's become too warm changing the soil, the vine roots, and crop yields. One family vineyard that's been around since 1700 normally bottles 40,000 to 50,000 bottles of wine a year and last year they bottle zero bottles.

One of the interesting aspects of climate change is as the European wine-growing areas are becoming too hot the climate in England is becoming more favorable for growing grapes. It's just not England in unexpected areas like Tasmania, Norway, in Quebec, and British Columbia.
Farmers who grow the grapes have seen the effects of climate change in the soil, in the roots of the vines, and the yields of their crops.

France, a major center of winemaking for centuries, is experiencing increasingly higher temperatures and extreme weather conditions that have damaged vintages, and livelihoods; this year was particularly dramatic.

France recorded its smallest harvest since 1957 and stands to lose more than $2 billion in sales - a huge blow to the country's second largest export industry.
CBS News
In the link above, you can watch the 60 Minutes interview or read the transcript.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

the wine industry. oh my.
every acre once treed was bought by some RWG who then planted a....vineyard.
not enough money in owning shit no they gotta invent some new "brand" of wine to "sell" for more money made off the
land that once grew trees that cleaned carbon from the air we breathe.
now nothing cleans that carbon not even the pointless "wine" cash flow to the RWG.

all that vineyard grape stuff is gonna fry in the heat too. so, go drink that. oh and write it off as tax loss!!
and use alllllll the water you can while you can!! smh.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

67 degrees in Alaska? Climate change continues to topple temperature records.

On Sunday, the temperature in Kodiak, Alaska, hit 67 degrees Fahrenheit, setting a December record-high for a state that has become used to them as climate change continues to rewrite history.

The temperature readings in Kodiak did not merely edge out some previous record by a degree or two; the 65 degrees reported at the airport was 20 degrees higher than the previous high temperature record of 45 degrees set on Dec. 26, 1984, the National Weather Service reported.

https://news.yahoo.com/67-degrees-in-al ... 05514.html
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ap215 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:28 am 67 degrees in Alaska? Climate change continues to topple temperature records.

On Sunday, the temperature in Kodiak, Alaska, hit 67 degrees Fahrenheit, setting a December record-high for a state that has become used to them as climate change continues to rewrite history.

The temperature readings in Kodiak did not merely edge out some previous record by a degree or two; the 65 degrees reported at the airport was 20 degrees higher than the previous high temperature record of 45 degrees set on Dec. 26, 1984, the National Weather Service reported.

This is significant.

:shock: :?

The water temperature surrounding Kodiak was in the past an even year round 29 degrees. The island is not very large so that surrounding water temperature creates a climate which is hard for the sun to create much deviation during the heat of a day even in summer time, and at this time of year daylight is just a couple hours long with the sun when it is up at all being on the horizon.

The only way Kodiak could possibly seen a temperature this great would be that a warm ocean current deviated into that part of the North Pacific from the South Pacific, and that signals a very significant change. If a warm current were to persist in that area for long the effects would create a profound change over all of Alaska and Siberia.

Nothing melts arctic floating sea ice faster than warm water.

It would reach over the top of the North American land mass and even affect the North Atlantic, Greenland and Iceland. It would reach down along British Columbia, Washington State, Oregon and even Northern California for that 29 degree water ballasts that entire climate zone of all of those states.

Inland even Idaho and Montana would feel the effect, It would grow colder in winter, dryer. Hotter in summer, wetter.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ap215 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:28 am 67 degrees in Alaska? Climate change continues to topple temperature records.

One part of their state is too warm and one part of their state is too cold. This doesn't sound like there's a "Goldilocks Zone" but if this keeps happening then Alaska is in form some interesting seasons.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Germany will likely miss 2022 climate targets, official says

A top German official said in an interview published Wednesday that Germany will likely miss carbon emission reduction targets next year.

"We will probably miss our targets for 2022. ... Even for 2023 it will be difficult enough. We are starting with a drastic backlog," German Economy and Climate Protection Minister Robert Habeck told the German newspaper Die Zeit, Reuters reported.

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-envir ... s-official
ap215

Post by ap215 »

BPS: Possible tornado hits Bainbridge, causes damage

BAINBRIDGE, Ga. (WTXL) — A possible tornado touched down in Bainbridge Wednesday afternoon and caused damage, according to Bainbridge Public Safety.

In a Facebook post, the damage list as of 4:30 p.m. included:

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news/bp ... ses-damage

And there's more coming for the New Year

marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

I was watching the local NBC Affiliate this morning, and according to her reporting that the San Francisco Bay Area has gone from a Severe Drought to a Moderate Drought. This has happened since the latest rain storms and snow storms. In October we were in a Severe Drought. We sill have a long way to go, but this is really good news.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

marindem01 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:26 pm I was watching the local NBC Affiliate this morning, and according to her reporting that the San Francisco Bay Area has gone from a Severe Drought to a Moderate Drought. This has happened since the latest rain storms and snow storms. In October we were in a Severe Drought. We sill have a long way to go, but this is really good news.
Just checked...our water sources are two lakes, wont name them right now, and one is at 65% full when last year it was 42% and the other is 59% when last year it was 65%, which is a little confusing. The latter is far bigger and the main source, so maybe that makes sense.

Also that appears to be as of Dec 2...which means this last months deluge likely has increased that from 59 to 68% or so I would guess.
I sigh in your general direction.