F1 starts March 18

Football, Baseball, Curling... All the Important Ones!
ZoWie

Re: F1 starts March 18

Post by ZoWie »

Yeah I'm glad that ESPN re-signed with Sky because we get Crofty and his merry band back. It wouldn't be F1 race day without him.

The sprint was, IIRC, Ross Brawn's idea. The idea is that a lot of fans make a weekend of it, and it would be more interesting for them if there was a race on Saturday to decide the grid on Sunday instead of just time trials.

I like it.

They seem to be experimenting a lot. As we know, nothing happens fast with the FIA. They tinker with the sprint format. It was only 3 times this year but next year I think it's 6 times. I was under the impression that the sprint determined the whole grid, but there was quite a bit of talk about Magnussen being on pole Sunday for qualifying fastest (leaving out that he was the only driver who posted a time in Q3 before the sky opened up ). As we know, he wasn't on pole, the sprint winner was, and Magnussen ran dead last today, having retired after running into another car on the first lap.

Sainz would have started on the first row but he took a 5 place penalty.

So we had the first all-Mercedes first row in quite a while.

That was a rousing good race. I like when the guy with the fastest car doesn't just run away and hide.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:56 pm Yeah I'm glad that ESPN re-signed with Sky because we get Crofty and his merry band back. It wouldn't be F1 race day without him.

The sprint was, IIRC, Ross Brawn's idea. The idea is that a lot of fans make a weekend of it, and it would be more interesting for them if there was a race on Saturday to decide the grid on Sunday instead of just time trials.

I like it.

They seem to be experimenting a lot. As we know, nothing happens fast with the FIA. They tinker with the sprint format. It was only 3 times this year but next year I think it's 6 times. I was under the impression that the sprint determined the whole grid, but there was quite a bit of talk about Magnussen being on pole Sunday for qualifying fastest (leaving out that he was the only driver who posted a time in Q3 before the sky opened up ). As we know, he wasn't on pole, the sprint winner was, and Magnussen ran dead last today, having retired after running into another car on the first lap.

Sainz would have started on the first row but he took a 5 place penalty.

So we had the first all-Mercedes first row in quite a while.

That was a rousing good race. I like when the guy with the fastest car doesn't just run away and hide.
Who do you think is the fastest driver in Formula One right now?
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I don't know. Verstappen is definitely the fastest combination of car and driver. He's probably got a very slight edge on driving skill right now, but a couple of other drivers are coming up fast.

Red Bull, as anyone who understood the importance of aerodynamics at these awesome speeds already knew, was most likely to kick off the ground-effect era in F1 with a head start on everyone else. Their aerodynamicist literally wrote the book on the subject. As Ferrari faltered it became clear that Red Bull had the most practical and workable design. Sainz could give Verstappen a run for it, but much of the year he was in a clearly slower and less reliable car, and also was on a team with good financial support but perhaps not the most competent people running their race day strategy.

I can't decide about Hamilton. He's in a clearly inferior car and definitely one that does not suit his driving style as well as last year's Mercedes. The Mercedes was a dog most of the year. They have it partially sorted now, but they couldn't get back the miserable start to the season. He might also be getting a bit over the hill in a sport that definitely takes it out of mind and body after a few years. It's different for every driver, but obviously it's very hard for anyone to keep the edge longer than maybe 3-4 years. Even if you don't change, the cars will.

One feels for Vettel. He's the most complex and interesting person among all the drivers, and maybe he just started thinking too much, or maybe he just got old and wore out. It didn't help that he got his dream ride at Ferrari at the same time that team came up with a really lousy car that he couldn't adapt to. It just didn't work, and they terminated his contract before the car got largely sorted out. Ditto Ricciardo. He never adapted to the rather wretched McLaren.

F1 has so many more variables than, say, pole vaulting. It's hard to sort it all out sometimes.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Bahrain qualifying, Lewis not much better than before, is it still the car?

Bad news for Chase Elliott.

https://apnews.com/article/chase-elliot ... 43c68e65bd

I think I saw a Tom Cruise interview out of curiosity on Kimmel maybe and he was bragging about not having a stunt person (he has a right to brag I guess) he mentioned that sure he can jump out of planes and off cliffs like he is doing for this new movie but he cant snowboard as a part of his contract with the movie.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It's pretty standard in movie contracts to have various prohibitions of dangerous activities until actors have discharged their responsibilities. You might remember that Harrison Ford dropped his airplane onto Penmar Golf Course after he'd wrapped. I was always under the impression sports did something similar. Baseball certainly does. You might remember that the Yankee pitcher flew his airplane into that building near the East River right after his team had done a historic choke job in the World Series and the season had ended.

However the NASCAR driver is not the only one to injure himself around the start of a season. Something similar happened in F1. He's driving this weekend, but he can barely steer the car.

-----

Far as I can tell, this F1 season has started right where the last one left off. The fastest driver is in the fastest car, the Red Bull, and the main challenger Ferrari is shooting themselves in the foot. It looks really bad when pieces fall off your car during qualifying.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:24 pm It's pretty standard in movie contracts to have various prohibitions of dangerous activities until actors have discharged their responsibilities. You might remember that Harrison Ford dropped his airplane onto Penmar Golf Course after he'd wrapped. I was always under the impression sports did something similar. Baseball certainly does. You might remember that the Yankee pitcher flew his airplane into that building near the East River right after his team had done a historic choke job in the World Series and the season had ended.

However the NASCAR driver is not the only one to injure himself around the start of a season. Something similar happened in F1. He's driving this weekend, but he can barely steer the car.

-----

Far as I can tell, this F1 season has started right where the last one left off. The fastest driver is in the fastest car, the Red Bull, and the main challenger Ferrari is shooting themselves in the foot. It looks really bad when pieces fall off your car during qualifying.
Stroll, saw that. Is he gonna drive anyway?

Chase is the new breed, liberal leaning like Ryan Blaney, Tyler Reddick and Jr. I like him. And of course

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/04/10 ... ent-obama/

ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

He seems ready to start tomorrow.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:13 pm He seems ready to start tomorrow.

I am very happy because Hulu is now carrying the Formula One race live in true high definition as opposed to ESPN which does not (not full HD) but when Hulu covers it it gets bumped up to the 1080p, I still don’t understand why Hamilton is so much slower than Verstappen, I don’t like Verstappen.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The next question is whether Hulu carries Sky's subchannel with the choice of 20 in-car cameras. It's a gimmick, but an interesting one.

We still seem to be stuck where we were last year. Red Bull's aerodynamicist literally wrote the book on ground effect, and their car works. Ferrari always seems to have problems from any number of weak points. Plus even with everyone from last year getting canned, still no one around there seems to know how to run a racing team.

At least Alonso finally has a car he likes after something like 25 years of waiting. Hell, half the drivers weren't born the first time he won a race. Amazing stuff.

Frankly I'm sick of Red Bull domination, and I wish F1 was more competitive. They're going to kill the golden goose if it doesn't get less one-sided.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Well, well, well. Guess who was CNBC's stock pick of the day.

Ferrari.

Yes, THAT Ferrari. The family car company in northern Italy. The one whose tick symbol is "RACE." The dude in the tailored suit said that Ferrari seemed to be winning the financial "race." The lady in the nice pants suit noted that they hadn't done too well in yesterday's race on the track, at which point there was a mention of F1.

Seems that Ferrari has an SUV. First I've heard. I knew Porsche and Lamborghini had them. Well, Ferrari does too. Costs half a million. Two year waiting list. Of course, they didn't note that Ferrari builds them by hand, which is why they're so frackin expensive, and two years' production might be a few hundred vehicles.

Still... I hate SUV's. Their takeover of LA was when I really disconnected from this culture. My speedy little car will go around corners that would flip a damn SUV, so there.

-------

Getting back to F1, I was depressed all day after the Bahrain race. Bahrain is depressing, and unless F1 becomes more competitive, it too is depressing. Sound and fury, and then the kid with the fastest car wins, and in any given year it's always the same kid. Meanwhile all the new races are in places where the 0.5% go to party. This year Miami, Texas, and Vegas. Vegas. I give up.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Well, this week the other kid with the fastest car won. By this year's standards, that's refreshing.

Of course the real story was the oldest driver out there in a second-level car duking it out with the kids in the gigabuck hot rods and making it to 3rd place for the second time in a row. Of course, since this is F1, he lost the place after the cameras had wrapped, on a technicality when video replays proved that a pit mechanic had touched the car too soon.

This year seems to be starting out big on technicalities.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:03 pm Well, this week the other kid with the fastest car won. By this year's standards, that's refreshing.

Of course the real story was the oldest driver out there in a second-level car duking it out with the kids in the gigabuck hot rods and making it to 3rd place for the second time in a row. Of course, since this is F1, he lost the place after the cameras had wrapped, on a technicality when video replays proved that a pit mechanic had touched the car too soon.

This year seems to be starting out big on technicalities.
Alonzo lined up wrong? Too far to the left?

What did Perez pit do wrong that he complained about, something to do with Lewis?

Lewis started on medium and he was the only one at the front of the field that did, why...or reverse, cant tell now cuz I am on lap 38.

HOW DID Verstappen get 2nd? I dont see how that is possible unless he had one less pit. I didnt watch the whole race, wtf?

And yes, I must admit I’m already bored with it, I’m only watching the eight minute recap of the race on YouTube because it’s higher definition and that’s about all I need.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Perez led the whole time.

Verstappen had more car trouble, but he held on for second. Not too shabby since he came from 15th, but after all he has by far the fastest car out there when it runs right. It's not even close. He can blow right by anyone.

I don't know why F1 believed Ross Brawn or whoever that switching to a formula that allowed closer following would make the sport more competitive, when the solution was ground effect and Red Bull had the guy who wrote the book about it on their payroll. So yeah, Red Bull ran away and hid. Big surprise. Mercedes thought they had it doped out better than the guy who wrote the book, but they didn't. Their car is a piece of shit. Hamilton's not getting younger, his current car is a loser, and he may be going somewhere else.

So far the 2020s are in general the biggest monument to human stupidity that I have ever seen. They answer the perennial question from history class, "How could they have been that stupid?" This is how. People believe crap that other people with little or no real knowledge tell them, and discount learned and experienced experts because they bring up unpleasant truths.

OK, Alonso finished 3rd, but for the second race in a row, the FIA dinged someone for lining up "incorrectly" on the grid. It was OK last year, but this year if even a tiny bit of a tire peeks out over the line on the box, it's a 5 second penalty. This week's victim was Alonso. He came in and did the penalty, and then changed tires, and held on to third place. Unfortunately, the replay does show that a jack made contact with the car before the 5 seconds had elapsed. Didn't lift the car, but did contact it. This year that's a 10 second penalty. They applied it after the podium ceremony had finished, the champagne had squirted, and the camera operators had put on their lens caps.

No matter how much your life sucks, you're better off than whoever had to go to Alonso, with his notorious temper, and ask him for the trophy back.

So far this year's F1 is in general the biggest monument to human stupidity that I have seen in a very, very long time. In a decade with the botched covid response, Putin wanting a war all his own, and the deification of the biggest and dumbest blowhard in NYC real estate, that's saying something.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:45 pm Perez led the whole time.

Verstappen had more car trouble, but he held on for second. Not too shabby since he came from 15th, but after all he has by far the fastest car out there when it runs right. It's not even close. He can blow right by anyone.

I don't know why F1 believed Ross Brawn or whoever that switching to a formula that allowed closer following would make the sport more competitive, when the solution was ground effect and Red Bull had the guy who wrote the book about it on their payroll. So yeah, Red Bull ran away and hid. Big surprise. Mercedes thought they had it doped out better than the guy who wrote the book, but they didn't. Their car is a piece of shit. Hamilton's not getting younger, his current car is a loser, and he may be going somewhere else.

So far the 2020s are in general the biggest monument to human stupidity that I have ever seen. They answer the perennial question from history class, "How could they have been that stupid?" This is how. People believe crap that other people with little or no real knowledge tell them, and discount learned and experienced experts because they bring up unpleasant truths.

OK, Alonso finished 3rd, but for the second race in a row, the FIA dinged someone for lining up "incorrectly" on the grid. It was OK last year, but this year if even a tiny bit of a tire peeks out over the line on the box, it's a 5 second penalty. This week's victim was Alonso. He came in and did the penalty, and then changed tires, and held on to third place. Unfortunately, the replay does show that a jack made contact with the car before the 5 seconds had elapsed. Didn't lift the car, but did contact it. This year that's a 10 second penalty. They applied it after the podium ceremony had finished, the champagne had squirted, and the camera operators had put on their lens caps.

No matter how much your life sucks, you're better off than whoever had to go to Alonso, with his notorious temper, and ask him for the trophy back.

So far this year's F1 is in general the biggest monument to human stupidity that I have seen in a very, very long time. In a decade with the botched covid response, Putin wanting a war all his own, and the deification of the biggest and dumbest blowhard in NYC real estate, that's saying something.
I don't understand what you're saying as to being stupid are you talking about them changing the car so there would be closer following and that didn't work out, help me out here I believe you I'm trying to learn I just don't understand what you're saying
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

You're pretty much right. They drastically changed the formula because it was very difficult to pass another car due to the aerodynamic wake turbulence behind it. It worked as designed, and the racing got closer. Unfortunately, the way they did it was to adopt a new formula (hence the name Formula One), which gave a huge advantage to Red Bull due to Adrian Newey's experience with the ground effect "vacuum cleaner" design which had also been run in sports cars and briefly Indy.

It took a year, but now we see the result. Mercedes is faced with the need for a total redesign of their car, which will be phased in for this whole season. McLaren is just slow, no hope there, they are a major team with huge sponsorship and budget, but this year they're stuck at the back. Surprisingly, Aston Martin, which bought an existing 2nd level team, has come up with a design which practically puts them at the first level. They're the only bright spot in an otherwise pretty boring looking season.

Ferrari..... I don't know what's wrong at Ferrari. They don't seem to have anyone who can get a race car to work right. It's not the drivers. Right now Ferrari is a tremendous waste of talent.

Also get ready for more dumb races like the one in Florida with the fake lake and the fake yachts at the bar, or these Middle East oil patches with the ruling class in its burnooses and circuits built by indentured labor. Texas with their giant flag is at least a purpose-built circuit, and a rather nice one, but the Vegas strip? Give me a break. F1 wants a mass audience, but meanwhile they get all their venues from the oligarchs.

Even in sports, these are not happy times.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

So ONE guy knows how to design the aero of the cars and he works for RB and nobody else has figured it out yet?

These "changes" that he understands and the others dont, they are all in the past 2 years, right? For MB to go from the fastest to 8th place in 2 yrs etc?

BTW I see Mario mentioned, met him in a gas station he owns, a chain, and he was sort of nice. Not real friendly but not an asshole.

So my friend, this is hilarious, says to him: "wait here I'm gonna run down to Target and get several greeting cards to have you sign for my nephews who are big fans"

I shit you not, she jumped in her car and drove a mile to the store, came back, I had hung around and sure enough he did it. He was staying there anyway as he was touring his stores, but that was funny as hell and he SIGNED all the cards! :lol:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I tend to associate the "vacuum cleaner" with the Chapparal cars that ran in sports car racing and whatever the same bunch of people did at Indy. It's hardly a new idea.

The new formula is the classic vacuum cleaner. It creates a low pressure area under the car that sucks it down to the ground, often with dramatic results when it hits something and the sparks fly.

Yes, Red Bull had a running start because they already employed the guy who understands the concept better than anyone else. Should have thought of that. Doesn't mean ground effect cars aren't an improvement, because it starts to look like they were. Means that one team can be expected to have a head start on the concept, making Red Bull dominance inevitable.

The FIA did put in a rather weird attempt to even out the process through giving teams with fewer points more wind tunnel time. That's SUCH an FIA solution. There used to be a guillotine in the Place de la Concorde. It's gone, but now the FIA is there. Plus ce change................

Mercedes is basically admitting they tried a design that was guaranteed not to work, now they'll spend the season catching up. I don't know McLaren's problem. Ferrari seems to be leaderless and flapping in the breeze. Aston Martin seems to have lucked into a good setup, and Alonso of course is apparently ageless. The rest are, well, the rest.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I am just confused how 2 yrs ago MB is faster, was there a major chassis change? Aero is about the overall chassis, so to speak.

BTW Kimi Raikkonen is racing in TX with NASCAR along with others, names I forgot. He raced last year WG I think
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Yes, the switch required a complete redesign of the chassis.

Mercedes designed a car body with no side pods, while Red Bull had side pods on theirs. That seems to make the whole difference. Mercedes is changing the aero, but that means they'll spend the whole season sorting out the car.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The right way, the wrong way, and the FIA way..........
Aston Martin presented minutes from a recent meeting of F1's sporting advisory group (SAG), which discussed seven different instances of cars being touched by the jack in such a way without being penalised.

Aston Martin argued there had been an agreement between teams and the governing body that it was "incorrect" to rule that "an agreement between the FIA and the teams that touching the car in any way, including with a jack, would constitute 'working' on the car".

The stewards accepted they had been mistaken. [Alonso got third place back. -Z]

An FIA spokesperson said there were "conflicting precedents, and this has been exposed by this specific circumstance", and a clarification would be issued before the next race in Australia following a meeting of the SAG.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/65008849

Confused yet? Confusion is the standard state of mind in F1.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Those restarts looked like NASCAR :lol:

Lewis was faster than the past, but the bull is still faster than the merc.

Bummer...podium though for Lewis, been a while.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It did end in a typical NASCAR state of confusion, though of course NASCAR at least has the overtime to actually end a race in a racing mode as opposed to a one lap parade. IMHO NASCAR has tried to make racing too much like the NFL, while of course FIA has made it too much like the French political system.

I found myself in wtf mode. What did I just see? Ferrari's biggest screwup yet? An Alpine driver taking out both team cars on a restart formation lap, not even a racing lap? ??????????????

The all-star podium was fun though.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Ahhhhhh me, just when I thought F1 couldn't get any more strange, they changed the whole schedule for this weekend and didn't seem to let ESPN know.

Everything's mislabeled. There is no P2 or P3. We've had the first and last practice of the weekend, despite what ESPN says in their schedule. This means my automatic searches don't find it all. I don't think ESPN even has the new schedule right.

Apparently if I want to see one of the now two qualifying sessions I have to watch it en Espanol. Well I need to keep my Spanish up in LA, it'll be good (dare I say it?) practice.

Or should I say Practica?

Ay yi yi.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:29 pm Ahhhhhh me, just when I thought F1 couldn't get any more strange, they changed the whole schedule for this weekend and didn't seem to let ESPN know.

Everything's mislabeled. There is no P2 or P3. We've had the first and last practice of the weekend, despite what ESPN says in their schedule. This means my automatic searches don't find it all. I don't think ESPN even has the new schedule right.

Apparently if I want to see one of the now two qualifying sessions I have to watch it en Espanol. Well I need to keep my Spanish up in LA, it'll be good (dare I say it?) practice.

Or should I say Practica?

Ay yi yi.
Just went to my ESPN plus app and I see future Formula One practice listed, and on my youtube TV for recordings I see qualifying 9 hours ago and practice 12 hours ago. I usually wait and watch qualifying on YT because it is 1080p.

Have ESPN+ and nowhere on there do I see the qualifying. ESPN app is the worst and I dont know what the + benefits are.

BTW what if they had tied for any position on the grid? Never seen that before.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Tuve que ver la clasificación en español.

ESPN mislabeled everything. They didn't air the GP qualifying in English at all. The NFL draft seems to be more important, even at 3 AM Pacific. Sprint qualifying was mislabled as sprint. I can't remember what the sprint was mislabeled as.

Check out those new buildings in Baku. They look like 1950s SF paperback covers.