F1 starts March 18

Football, Baseball, Curling... All the Important Ones!
Libertas

Re: F1 starts March 18

Post by Libertas »

Speaking of, Amazon prime membership will be $150 at renewal with tax now, for a company that has more money than it could ever spend for a billionaire who has so much money why do they have to do this to us?

Bastard.
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Marketing as a science is not that far from inner city heroin dealing. The rule remains that it works best if you start out cheap or free, get people hooked, then start increasing the price.

This is why I keep saying that at some point the subscription model that nearly all software and entertainment is becoming based on will eventually kill the goose. People will ultimately add up all the subscriptions and suddenly understand why they can't seem to make ends meet. Sticker shock will start to set in.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Kimi Raikonnen is running NASCAR now
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Right, and Roman Grosjean has found a niche in IndyCar racing.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Whoever Lewis Hamilton ran into calling him an idiot only knows how to drive from first place, I guess there’s a little truth to that last part.

Alonso
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Yes, it was Alonso. He'd just had his race ruined one minute into it, when Hamilton stupidly ran up onto his wheel and spun both cars, and he wasn't thinking clearly. Who would be?

Actually Hamilton has won from way back any number of times. This particular time, he made a dumb mistake, which he admits, and it's too bad that Alonso didn't hold his tongue on the radio even though it's understandable in the situation. You can get killed doing this. I wonder whether the radio is voice-activated.

I personally found it more annoying when Hamilton mouthed off about being "devastated" because he didn't get a walk-on part in some bad American movie that he had apparently thought he deserved after palling up with some Hollywood player. Most of the time, Hamilton's one of the best representatives of the sport, but he has this weak spot for the LA party scene. Not a good look for a British racing driver.

I'm glad the Belgian GP is staying at Spa-Francorchamps. It's one of the best of the classic old F1 tracks, and an inspiration, except when it rains all weekend like last year. No problem with that in our current climate cycle.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:26 pm Yes, it was Alonso. He'd just had his race ruined one minute into it, when Hamilton stupidly ran up onto his wheel and spun both cars, and he wasn't thinking clearly. Who would be?

Actually Hamilton has won from way back any number of times. This particular time, he made a dumb mistake, which he admits, and it's too bad that Alonso didn't hold his tongue on the radio even though it's understandable in the situation. You can get killed doing this. I wonder whether the radio is voice-activated.

I personally found it more annoying when Hamilton mouthed off about being "devastated" because he didn't get a walk-on part in some bad American movie that he had apparently thought he deserved after palling up with some Hollywood player. Most of the time, Hamilton's one of the best representatives of the sport, but he has this weak spot for the LA party scene. Not a good look for a British racing driver.

I'm glad the Belgian GP is staying at Spa-Francorchamps. It's one of the best of the classic old F1 tracks, and an inspiration, except when it rains all weekend like last year. No problem with that in our current climate cycle.
I guess I have not watched long enough to see him win from the back. I was a big fan in the 80's but went away for a while so I did not see his early career. JUst watched the interview with Lewis, he was sorry for his team but not for Alonso, so he must be angry about what he said.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Hamilton and Alonso drove for the same team at one time, and it didn't go well. Both were top drivers and championship contenders, and it hurt the team to have them competing against each other. Both drivers ended up leaving that team. There's some remaining bad blood, I guess.

In one of the seasons where Hamilton won the championship, he had the usual grid penalties and qualifying mishaps and won a couple of times from way down in back, when the cars' aerodynamics made passing a lot harder than it is now.

I've often wondered about the race radio. It seems to be, by design, completely public, but there are a lot of frequencies and protocols. It's not an intercom, and the rules for it are obscure and complicated, as one expects when the FIA runs anything. I don't know whether the teams can hear each other, and apparently the fans don't hear it they way they do in NASCAR. You don't see fans in the stands with scanners. However, it seems as if the primary channels to the drivers are completely available to TV coverage, and I believe that they use English as a lingua franca. Not only do the "good" parts get repeated, but there seems to be a lot of talking in code ("Plan B," etc) as if they know it's an insecure channel.

?????????????????????????????????????????
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:23 pm Hamilton and Alonso drove for the same team at one time, and it didn't go well. Both were top drivers and championship contenders, and it hurt the team to have them competing against each other. Both drivers ended up leaving that team. There's some remaining bad blood, I guess.

In one of the seasons where Hamilton won the championship, he had the usual grid penalties and qualifying mishaps and won a couple of times from way down in back, when the cars' aerodynamics made passing a lot harder than it is now.

I've often wondered about the race radio. It seems to be, by design, completely public, but there are a lot of frequencies and protocols. It's not an intercom, and the rules for it are obscure and complicated, as one expects when the FIA runs anything. I don't know whether the teams can hear each other, and apparently the fans don't hear it they way they do in NASCAR. You don't see fans in the stands with scanners. However, it seems as if the primary channels to the drivers are completely available to TV coverage, and I believe that they use English as a lingua franca. Not only do the "good" parts get repeated, but there seems to be a lot of talking in code ("Plan B," etc) as if they know it's an insecure channel.

?????????????????????????????????????????
What has happened to Lewis I wonder, is he slowing down?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

No, his car is.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:11 pmNo, his car is.
Yeah, it is. He does seem slower than Russell though, routinely. I am a huge fan, dont get me wrong.

I guess the porpoising is still a thing.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It comes and goes, depending on track conditions, also the Mercedes is a bit heavy, as Toto Wolff is the first to admit.

Indeed Russell seems to be a better match for the current car. Hamilton has made no secret that he dislikes it.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Ferrari will have to do quite a bit of house cleaning if they want to become competitive again.

It becomes obvious from the sloppy pit work and bad strategy at Zandvoort that the situation is hopeless with the current personnel in place. One driver was called in at the wrong time, which happens every week, but when he stopped it was plain that the mechanics had brought out the wrong tires. They had to run back and get the right ones, meanwhile leaving a wheel gun in the active lane. Another driver ran over it, getting the Ferrari driver a 5-second penalty on top of his already epic-length pit delay. Then of course they had to find another wheel gun.

A pit stop should not take over a minute (total with the 5 seconds added) to change tires. Red Bull does it in three seconds. Team determines optimum timing for race strategy. Car pulls in and stops right in the box (they practice that), 16 guys do a well-rehearsed drill, car leaves vrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmm 2.7 seconds later. It all happens faster than you can see. Except at Ferrari.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

With all their money and experience, this is crazy...
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Why was Verstappen pulled over after qualifying, do we know?

Crew chief sure didn’t want him talking about it on the radio.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

According to BBC, it's just what the TV guys said it was. He was low on fuel, and the team had to make him abort the lap to avoid a violation. You get penalized if you come in from qualifying without enough fuel to pass some FIA test or other. Presumably the rule is so people won't try to run their hot lap on fumes to save a bit of weight, and stop on track causing a yellow (or worse) at the end.

He did let out quite the stream of [expletives deleted] on the radio. You would too if you were going for pole and the team bosses aborted your lap. The team did not seem to appreciate this, possibly because they know the driver radios are monitored. They basically told him to shut up, though not in so many words. Sky did air his transmission, but with all the nasties bleeped out.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:18 pm According to BBC, it's just what the TV guys said it was. He was low on fuel, and the team had to make him abort the lap to avoid a violation. You get penalized if you come in from qualifying without enough fuel to pass some FIA test or other. Presumably the rule is so people won't try to run their hot lap on fumes to save a bit of weight, and stop on track causing a yellow (or worse) at the end.

He did let out quite the stream of [expletives deleted] on the radio. You would too if you were going for pole and the team bosses aborted your lap. The team did not seem to appreciate this, possibly because they know the driver radios are monitored. They basically told him to shut up, though not in so many words. Sky did air his transmission, but with all the nasties bleeped out.
I didnt hear the fuel part. That he was low.

I usually wait to watch it on F1 channel on YT because of the higher definition but this time I watched it from my taping on xfinity. I had high hopes there for a few minutes that Lewis would get pole.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Why did George Russell start in the pits?

I am watching the race and I don’t want to Google it, don’t want to know who won, I also assume the delay of the race was the rain? I thought they didn’t do that.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Singapore is 85 miles from the Equator. It's hot, it rains a lot, and the street circuit doesn't drain very well. They delayed the race because the puddles remaining in the street were still too deep for a safe start. This delay caused the race to run up against a time limit.

I think one of Crofty and his merry band of Brits said that races in Singapore often don't go the full distance. This one certainly didn't.

No idea why Russell started from the pit lane. Nothing in the race reports I read.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

New power unit elements that exceeded spending limits allocated for engine parts.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Right.

I found that later in another recording, namely Grand Prix Sunday, where they were standing around watching it rain. It really did pour. Brief thunderstorm.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Well, well, well.

Last year, the world championship was practically a coin flip at the end, with an FIA steward's weird decision deciding it.

This year, there was no doubt that Verstappen was going to win, but once again there was some chaos when it actually happened. First we were told that the race would not award full points, being shortened by rain, but then we found out after it finished that full points would be awarded after all. Apparently, the rule book contained a proofreading mistake that no one caught in the off season. Really. That's what happened. Documented. Full points, it was, though nobody knew that for a while.

So, did Max suddenly find out that he was champ on a technicality once again? Nope, he still didn't have enough points.

Now... suddenly in the middle of post-race interviews, we find out that the guy who finished second was going to be dinged with a 5-second penalty for going off-track on the last lap, and now he was the guy who finished third. Stop the presses... we have a champion! Max does it again!

WTF? Well, the penalty was actually the right call, because Leclerc's off course excursion really happened. On the last lap, he really did go on the grass instead of the race track, taking a little short cut, and you're supposed to race on the track. Let's consider it this week's Ferrari mistake. Well, Sainz didn't finish either after hitting the wall, but at least you can sort of blame the rain for that one. He hit a puddle, went into full hydroplane mode, and it was crunchy-crunchy break-the-racer time.

So here we are. Red Bull still owns F1, and Ferrari has shot themselves in the foot once again.

Winning the Super Bowl on a pass interference call? No, not that bad, but one wishes that (a) the FIA would avoid this confusion problem, and (b) that Ferrari wasn't so stupid. Enzo has gotta be spinning faster than one of his V12s in his grave.

Regarding the FIA and its confusion problem, the word "incomprehensible" is relevant. There appears to be a right way, a wrong way, and an FIA way. There's quite a bit of further information at this BBC Sports link:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/63192820
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

What he said.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Well well well. We're in Texas.

Here it just means that the races are on live. No waking up Sunday morning knowing that there's a treat that a machine left me from three thirty AM when a race happened in Europe or the Middle East.

Which is why I'm sitting here banging on this board.

The track is outside Austin in the hill country. Unlike the joke in Miami or the even sillier one scheduled next year in Vegas, baby, it's a real good racing circuit designed by people who knew their stuff. It's always a great race, except when there's a hurricane.

Red Bull could clinch the manufacturer's championship if Verstappen wins, as he likely will. The Ferraris are faster, but one of them needed a new engine and turbo, and will take a 10 grid place penalty. The right way, the wrong way, and the FIA way.

Interestingly, or perhaps depressingly, depending on your team allegiances, the co-owner of Red Bull Racing who built it into the top F1 team picked this weekend to die. Also Red Bull got caught spending a little more than last year's budget cap allowed, and is going to either get a small fine, or something much worse. Which of these two extremes one favors tends to be based on who's signing their checks in the case of personnel, or who's their favorite driver in the case of fans.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I am confused, I saw the sprint race yesterday but I guess I wasn’t paying attention because I don’t understand how the Mercedes ended up on the front row today.

Also I don’t understand what this front race does, I’m very familiar with this type of qualifications for stock cars because I used to be on a team.

love David Croft