F1 starts March 18

Football, Baseball, Curling... All the Important Ones!
Libertas

Re: F1 starts March 18

Post by Libertas »

The POMP and CIRCUMSTANCE is over the top in Miami, is it like that for every race, Zowie?

Jesus H...orchestras, etc.

Did you see the interview of Verstappen as he’s walking along with the woman interviewing him what is that thing he’s wearing on his chest those little white squares?

Clearly something to do with safety but I can’t figure out what it is

And I didn’t watch qualifying why did Verstappen not get a time
I sigh in your general direction.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Verstappen messed up his first hot lap, and there was a red flag before he could complete another one.

He won the race from ninth. It's still the best driver/car combination since Schumacher at Ferrari.

Ferrari, of course, looked wretched. There's still no one working there who knows how to win a F1 race.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Yawn.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I am so sick of Verstappen, Norris almost had the pole.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Finally, Lewis gets the pole!

Now if I could just understand how qualifying works because it looks like Russell was dealing with traffic while running a qualifying lap which I don’t understand I’ve never understood it, I just never asked about it before.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I can't find any excuse for poor track position at the end of a Q3 when there are only 10 cars out on a 2.7 mile circuit. The teams have GPS generated maps that show the position of every car. I suppose it has to do with the potential chaos when everyone spends the session getting ready for one hot lap at the end instead of banking one early on and then trying to improve it.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:06 pm I can't find any excuse for poor track position at the end of a Q3 when there are only 10 cars out on a 2.7 mile circuit. The teams have GPS generated maps that show the position of every car. I suppose it has to do with the potential chaos when everyone spends the session getting ready for one hot lap at the end instead of banking one early on and then trying to improve it.
Growing up with NASCAR and being involved with the local NASCAR track as a mechanic and one time driver, I don’t understand why there would be more than one car on the track for qualifications other than the next car enters the track as the current car finishes their last lap but other than that makes no sense to have any other car on the track to me.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That's a good point. With only 20 cars, they could spend all day Saturday letting everyone go out for four laps or so and post a time. I don't know why they send everyone out at once, unless it's to make a better show for TV.

It does seem to be more of a game of chance than it could be. It's quite easy to be stuck behind another car, and ruin your time. It's yet another example of the right way, the wrong way, and the FIA way.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Getting real tired of Verstappen and the complete dominance over all other cars and teams, makes for boring racing.

Does Mercedes still have the porpoising problem why is he able to get the fastest lap in qualifying but lose by so much in the race?
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Hamilton said “it is not for me to say” whether there was a risk of fans tuning out due to Red Bull’s dominance, but added: “I’ve definitely never seen a car so fast.

“When we were fast we weren’t that fast. That’s the fastest car, I think, I’ve seen, especially compared to the rest, I don’t know why or how but he came past me with serious speed.

“I didn’t even bother to block because there was a massive speed difference… yep.”

Plus Hamilton is 38 and Verstappen is 25.

The best driver is in the best car.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We know that this year there is indeed a situation in which the driver hit his peak performance at the same time that Red Bull designed a car that's a generation ahead of everyone else. Verstappen is without a doubt the best driver in the best car this year.

I've become hoarse repeating that forcing a new formula that played right into Adrian Newey's area of expertise was a guaranteed way of handing a huge advantage to the team he worked for, which already had the hottest driver. It gave them a one to two year head start on everyone else.

We were told that the new formula, which did not come very much later than the previous one, was because the previous one made it too hard to pass another car. It was said that it created boring racing. So now we have one where it's marginally easier to pass. Problem is that when the hot setup is consistently 30 seconds ahead of the second-place car, it hardly matters. They have created even more boring racing.

We're also kind of seeing the residue of the unlimited budget era. Yes, they finally put on a budget cap, but it's not aggressively enforced. Red Bull cheated a couple of years back, and essentially got a slap on the wrist. They got a fine that was not hard to come up with. They lost a few hours of wind tunnel time, but with their design expertise that's hardly a problem. They certainly weren't suspended or anything like that.

F1 has issues. All sports do, but right now F1's are the most irritating. They simply cannot come up with competitive racing.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Guess they had - or are having now - A Grand Prix race up the road in Nashville. I saw warnings of road closures downtown this morning on the TV as I was working out.

I take it you didn’t go, right, Z?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It's not F1. They take a vacation every August. The factories are required to close, big fines if they don't, for the first two weeks. They come back to work in another week or so and the next race isn't until something like August 30.

NASCAR races near Nashville, and I think Indy cars do too.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:12 pm It's not F1. They take a vacation every August. The factories are required to close, big fines if they don't, for the first two weeks. They come back to work in another week or so and the next race isn't until something like August 30.

NASCAR races near Nashville, and I think Indy cars do too.
I thought Grand Prix was F1.

Not that I care, I don't watch any racing. Just noticed that there was a race in Nashville.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:18 am I thought Grand Prix was F1.

Not that I care, I don't watch any racing. Just noticed that there was a race in Nashville.
Actually F1 still is considered Grand Prix. Same for Indy Car racing. Generic term. I think it’s used mainly by old folks.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:14 am Actually F1 still is considered Grand Prix. Same for Indy Car racing. Generic term. I think it’s used mainly by old folks.
I really care not. Just kidding Z, who I know is a fan of the racing. I’m not into any of it.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

gounion wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:29 am I really care not. Just kidding Z, who I know is a fan of the racing. I’m not into any of it.
I still enjoy it.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Grand Prix is generic. It's just French for "Big Prize." If you pronounce the second word wrong, it can also refer to the sizes of some guys', uh, things, or maybe to their personalities as well. The best known Grands Prix are in F1 car racing, but the European tradition shows that the title was also given to a lot of international contests in horsemanship, yachting, and various other diversions of the titled elite.

For example, when the Long Beach Grand Prix stopped wanting to dicker over minutiae with the FIA, they switched their race to Indy cars, but kept the name. Ditto LA's defunct Times Grand Prix at the defunct Riverside Raceway, which was for US custom sports cars with big engines.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

As I noted elsewhere, the Italian Grand Prix is off Spectrum, as is all of ESPN for the foreseeable future.

The strike has undoubtedly made Disney decide its easier to make up lost revenue by jacking up the price it charges cable outlets for ESPN, and Spectrum won't pay it.

I foresee the death of cable impending. There's too much money in streaming. They'll move everything there.

Mene mene tekel upharsin.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:34 am As I noted elsewhere, the Italian Grand Prix is off Spectrum, as is all of ESPN for the foreseeable future.

The strike has undoubtedly made Disney decide its easier to make up lost revenue by jacking up the price it charges cable outlets for ESPN, and Spectrum won't pay it.

I foresee the death of cable impending. There's too much money in streaming. They'll move everything there.

Mene mene tekel upharsin.
ESPN put the race on ESPN+. So I got to watch it. Interesting finish. 1st & 2nd Red Bull, 3rd & 4th Ferrari, 5th & 6th Mercedes.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Ferrari is handing Red Bull their lunch at Singapore. For some reason Red Bull's cars can't get traction. Best they did in qualifying put them halfway down the grid after they didn't even make the final session.

Singapore is a funny place. The course winds in and out of a very artificial capitalist city that looks more like the Disney version of dystopia. Star Wars Land on The Brown Acid. Some of the buildings will lower your IQ simply by looking at them. Also, they're near the equator, and they race at night because they have to, not for better TV ratings in Europe. Drivers would pass out if they tried it in day time.

This might be the first interesting race in quite a while.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

Interstate race. Actually an exciting finish.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It was definitely the most interesting race this year.

And we got to hear a REAL national anthem instead of the Dutch and Austrian dirges.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

F1 has a major problem. Like all sports these days, the owners consider it a good idea to keep making more and more of it. It started in Europe, a relatively mild climate in summer, but now it's growing. It keeps adding more races in places where people are rich enough to matter.

Most of these are in climates which are really too hot for this kind of car racing. There are no driver cooling systems in F1. They're jammed up against a 1000-hp monster of an engine and enough heat-producing electronics to run a space ship. They don't use water-cooled suits, just flameproof ones that don't let air through. A few venues have spent vast sums on lights and power and race at night, but usually it's not all that much cooler then either.

They went through a whole phase where they never met an oil sheikdom they didn't like, and now that the sport is owned by a typical US right wing media conglomerate, they're going after resorts. Couple of years back, they added Florida, this year they're adding Vegas.

More hot spots, in the year when we finally hit the predicted 1.5 degrees C that scientists have been so on about for decades now.

The drivers won't take it any more. After vomiting and nearly passing out in Qatar, they plan to meet and discuss the hot-climate situation. We shall see what we shall see.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

FIA to look at F1 calendar changes after Qatar GP

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/67061016
The FIA says it will look into calendar changes and other measures in Formula 1 to deal with extreme weather following the Qatar Grand Prix.

Some drivers needed medical attention after a race run in temperatures of more than 30C and high humidity.

"Measures may include guidance for competitors, research into modifications for more efficient airflow in the cockpit, and recommendations for changes to the calendar to align with acceptable climatic conditions, among others," said the FIA.