News and events of the day
Bludogdem

Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Post by Bludogdem »

marindem01

Re: Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Post by marindem01 »

From the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01/26 ... retirement.

Mr. Biden Promises to appoint an African-American Woman to replace retiring Justice Breyer.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Has to happen sooner than later and keep an eye on Manchin and Sinema. No doubt that Mitch is already in contact with them.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

If a black woman is nominated - as it should be - the right will go full racist and sexist against her.

And without knowing her name or anything about her, Glenn will call her a far-right communist white-hater.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:40 pm If a black woman is nominated - as it should be - the right will go full racist and sexist against her.
Whomever Biden nominates, the radical republicans in the Senate (which is practically all of them) will do as much as they can to delay confirmation.
And without knowing her name or anything about her, Glenn will call her a far-right communist white-hater.
Ain't that the truth. No doubt glenn will parrot the line he'll hear from Fox News and republicans that Biden should nominate a conservative.
When you vote left, you vote right.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Number6 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:10 pm Whomever Biden nominates, the radical republicans in the Senate (which is practically all of them) will do as much as they can to delay confirmation.

Ain't that the truth. No doubt glenn will parrot the line he'll hear from Fox News and republicans that Biden should nominate a conservative.
I doubt this nomination will be all that contentious. Breyer is a liberal and I don’t think Republicans would be surprised that Biden will nominate another liberal. Republicans aren’t in a strong position to force a delay at present.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm I doubt this nomination will be all that contentious. Breyer is a liberal and I don’t think Republicans would be surprised that Biden will nominate another liberal. Republicans aren’t in a strong position to force a delay at present.
Most Supreme Court nominees get approved. The only times there is a controversy is if the nominee is clearly unqualified. I think McConnell and the republicans will try to stretch out the confirmation by denying cloture process, which requires 60 votes, but in the end they'll be confirmed with a simply majority.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

Number6 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:23 pm Most Supreme Court nominees get approved. The only times there is a controversy is if the nominee is clearly unqualified. I think McConnell and the republicans will try to stretch out the confirmation by denying cloture process, which requires 60 votes, but in the end they'll be confirmed with a simply majority.
I don’t think cloture applies any longer to SCOTUS.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:35 pm I don’t think cloture applies any longer to SCOTUS.
It still applies but instead of 60 votes, as I stated, it takes 51 votes for closure. Here's the process from Georgetown Law.
The Process

1. The President usually will consult with Senators before announcing a nomination.

2. When the President nominates a candidate, the nomination is sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee for consideration.

3. The Senate Judiciary Committee holds a hearing on the nominee. The Committee usually takes a month to collect and receive all necessary records, from the FBI and other sources, about the nominee and for the nominee to be prepared for the hearings.

4. During the hearings, witnesses, both supporting and opposing the nomination, present their views. Senators question the nominee on his or her qualifications, judgment, and philosophy.

5. The Judiciary Committee then votes on the nomination and sends its recommendation (that it be confirmed, that it be rejected, or with no recommendation) to the full Senate.

6. The full Senate debates the nomination.

7. The Senate rules used to allow unlimited debate (a practice known as filibustering) and to end the debate, it required the votes of 3/5 of the Senate or 60 senators (known as the cloture vote). In April 2017, the Senate changed this rule and lowered the required votes to 51 to end debate on Supreme Court nominations (this is commonly known as "the nuclear option").

8. When the debate ends, the Senate votes on the nomination. A simple majority of the Senators present and voting is required for the judicial nominee to be confirmed. If there is a tie, the Vice President who also presides over the Senate casts the deciding vote.
https://guides.ll.georgetown.edu/c.php? ... &p=2471070
gounion

Post by gounion »

McConnell refused hearings on Obama’s pick Garland by even refusing interviews.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:42 am https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

Ketanji Brown Jackson.
wise latina

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

marindem01 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:57 am From the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01/26 ... retirement.

Mr. Biden Promises to appoint an African-American Woman to replace retiring Justice Breyer.
Fine with me, just so it's a liberal, not-conservative, "Black woman." And that's not something we'll likely have to worry about.

I'll be reading up more on Judge Jackson!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

Sheilynn Ifill also appears to be on the short list. I think she would be an excellent choice.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:03 pm Sheilynn Ifill also appears to be on the short list. I think she would be an excellent choice.
Yes! The best!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

Maybe Thomas can be forced to step down, since his wife is an extremist who helped fund the coup attempt.

That would help to balance the court again.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 pm Maybe Thomas can be forced to step down, since his wife is an extremist who helped fund the coup attempt.

That would help to balance the court again.
They would keep him on life support to keep his heart beating to keep him technically "alive".
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Number6 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:10 pm Whomever Biden nominates, the radical republicans in the Senate (which is practically all of them) will do as much as they can to delay confirmation.

I agree they'll delay it then they'll filibuster the nominee & run out the clock because the GOP'ers in The Senate & their corporate masters want the SC to go full blown conservative they care about power.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

SCOTUS nominees can no longer be filibustered.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
bradman

Post by bradman »

If we could wrap this up by tomorrow night that'd work for me.

Interesting this Harris talk.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Number6

Post by Number6 »

It would be interesting if Biden nominated Anita Hill and got her confirmed. Can you imagine Clarence Thomas's reaction when she took her seat on the Supreme Court. :lol:
gounion

Post by gounion »

The right is going nuts and screaming discrimination. They're saying "no male need apply".

Ah yes, the old "no Irish need apply" crap. Not that they are bothered when no blacks need apply or no women need apply.

The ONLY thing they're concerned about is the white male. They are such victims. If ANYONE but white males are hired for ANYTHING, they call it discrimination against white males.

But of course if they discriminate, it's just fine.
Drak

Post by Drak »

I remember Trump saying he was going to nominate a woman to replace RBG and the right thought it was fantastic.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:15 pm I remember Trump saying he was going to nominate a woman to replace RBG and the right thought it was fantastic.
Yep, it's fine if they do it.

1. Reagan said he was going to nominate the first woman for the Supreme Court, and he did (Sandra Day O'Conner).

2. G.H.W. Bush specifically nominated Clarence Thomas, a black man, to replace Thurgood Marshall, and never considered a white man.

3. As you said, Trump did the same thing to replace RBG.

But reality never concerned the right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:28 pm Yep, it's fine if they do it.

1. Reagan said he was going to nominate the first woman for the Supreme Court, and he did (Sandra Day O'Conner).
As the saying goes, "all the women are white, all the blacks are men."

Lol that guy would NEVER consider a Black person of any gender for SCOTUS.
2. G.H.W. Bush specifically nominated Clarence Thomas, a black man, to replace Thurgood Marshall, and never considered a white man.
Well, he's married to a WS. That's the only type of Black person conservative whites pretend to like, for a hot second.
3. As you said, Trump did the same thing to replace RBG.

But reality never concerned the right.
I said for many years on RRMB and at times on RFL 1.0 that we're just symbols, to them. Symbols, hashmarks, placeholders. They are so petty they even fold SCOTUS appointments into their game of retribution for the gains made by civil rights movements. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:56 am If we could wrap this up by tomorrow night that'd work for me.

Interesting this Harris talk.
That would be risky. Not sure all the Democratic Senators would be on board. Plus the Senate confirmation hearings would be quite a circus. And if confirmed, when she resigns as VP the tie breaker is lost and the replacement VP can be blocked until the dark side is satisfied.