Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:54 am When cops go over the edge, everyone suffers. I would imagine soon as the video airs, they'll be fighting in the streets of LA again. I'm not going anywhere tonight and you shouldn't either.

Point being, we're all being oppressed by oppression. When cops of any race oppress people of color for any reason, the whole country loses. Less talking and more fixing.

Warrior training is indeed a bad idea. American streets are not Ukraine. There is no enemy in the military sense. Every single person in the city does not want cops dead. It's a big part of the problem, and it's why the Black woman said, "the only race that matters is Cop." We have to stop this.
First off, as I said and as BD said, this isn’t all cops. Secondly, in this case, we don’t know what triggered these cops and/or whether it had anything at all to do with race. Third, no one here knows what training these cops had in the years and months preceding this event. What we have is what has been reported and precious little else in the way of factual information. Most of what has been said in this post is speculation.

As far as race is concerned, MPD has had multiple black police commissioners over the years. Its current commissioner is black. Memphis has had multiple black mayors over the years. The current mayor, Strickland, a democrat whom I voted for, is in his second term and was the first white mayor of Memphis in 20 years. Half of the City Council is black. So to assume this is racial without any evidence is a race to judgement.

As in any organization, sometimes you have people who behave badly. MPD is no exception. Based on what I have seen and heard, they handled things quickly and professionally. Hopefully, they can avoid rioting and violence in the streets which will solve nothing.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

You missed my point, which is probably my problem, not yours. I won't tell you how Memphis is because I don't know, beyond knowing that the police chief is Black and so are all the cops involved. I can tell you that Los Angeles has grappled with this problem since they did Watts the first time in nineteen sixty whatever, and it never seems to change despite enough rhetoric to fill up a TV channel for years. We go for a couple of years, then something happens somewhere in the US and we're in riot mode again. It's not entirely about race, but most people see it that way because in the US ethnicity and class tend to align, and it's easy to see everything that way.

Something about a SCORPION force that these cops might or might not have been on, that had orders to intimidate potential bad guys in neighborhoods. You'd know more than me. I got the idea that they were trained to be badass cops and that's what they were. The guy they beat to death is not exactly a gansta type, looks like all of us really if you leave pigmentation out of it. He was apparently into photography and sunsets, so we had a common interest, despite profound race and class differences.

There are good reasons for a woman of color to blurt out that the only race that matters is Cop. I see this as rather narrow thinking, but I understand it. There's a lot of anger and resentment out there and no one knows how to deal with it. Evolving away from the military occupation model of policing is probably one good place to start.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:36 pm You missed my point, which is probably my problem, not yours. I won't tell you how Memphis is because I don't know, beyond knowing that the police chief is Black and so are all the cops involved. I can tell you that Los Angeles has grappled with this problem since they did Watts the first time in nineteen sixty whatever, and it never seems to change despite enough rhetoric to fill up a TV channel for years. We go for a couple of years, then something happens somewhere in the US and we're in riot mode again. It's not entirely about race, but most people see it that way because in the US ethnicity and class tend to align, and it's easy to see everything that way.

Something about a SCORPION force that these cops might or might not have been on, that had orders to intimidate potential bad guys in neighborhoods. You'd know more than me. I got the idea that they were trained to be badass cops and that's what they were. The guy they killed is not exactly a gansta type, looks like all of us really if you leave pigmentation out of it. He was apparently into photography and sunsets, so we had a common interest, despite profound race and class differences.

There are good reasons for a woman of color to blurt out that the only race that matters is Cop. I see this as rather narrow thinking, but I understand it. There's a lot of anger and resentment out there and no one knows how to deal with it.
I don’t disagree with much of what you say. Memphis has had its problems with race going back many years. After a while people tend to assume that every problem is a race problem. That is not always the case. That kind of thinking then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I would agree that we need better trained, better equipped cops. Unfortunately, we don’t pay these folks very much and you tend to get less qualified applicants. Those worth keeping often move on to better paying LE jobs in other cities. Further complicating the matter is the mistaken notion that these cops need to live in Memphis to work in Memphis. Is it any wonder that it’s difficult to recruit and retain good cops. So we do the best we can.

As far as the militarization of police, this isn’t Britain. The environment is a lot more challenging. You have to train to the level necessary to deal with the threats you may encounter. Street gangs are a problem in parts of Memphis. These guys are serious and extremely dangerous. Often well armed. That being said, I would also agree that more needs to be done as far as training LE to de escalate stressful charges situations when possible. Lastly, after a while the day in day out challenges and stresses from the job can get to anyone. That needs to be dealt with as well.

That being said. I am pro law enforcement. We are a country of laws. Law enforcement is a part of that and is essential component of law and order. Somehow we have lost some of the respect we used to have for law and order and we can see it in the crime rates around the country. We need to figure out how to get that back.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:57 pm I don’t disagree with much of what you say. Memphis has had its problems with race going back many years. After a while people tend to assume that every problem is a race problem. That is not always the case. That kind of thinking then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Easy to blame blacks for calling out race when it happens. THAT'S the self-fulfilling prophecy.
I would agree that we need better trained, better equipped cops. Unfortunately, we don’t pay these folks very much and you tend to get less qualified applicants. Those worth keeping often move on to better paying LE jobs in other cities. Further complicating the matter is the mistaken notion that these cops need to live in Memphis to work in Memphis. Is it any wonder that it’s difficult to recruit and retain good cops. So we do the best we can.
Underpaid cops are easier to buy off. And there are good reasons to not bring cops in from other areas. It's not a mistaken notion. Like the Ferguson MO policing where it was all about fleecing the population with high fines all the time, while treating the area like occupied territory.
As far as the militarization of police, this isn’t Britain. The environment is a lot more challenging. You have to train to the level necessary to deal with the threats you may encounter. Street gangs are a problem in parts of Memphis. These guys are serious and extremely dangerous. Often well armed. That being said, I would also agree that more needs to be done as far as training LE to de escalate stressful charges situations when possible. Lastly, after a while the day in day out challenges and stresses from the job can get to anyone. That needs to be dealt with as well.
Again, if you want a Police State, then you want a quasi-military police force, where the only thing that matters is the police dealing with things in a military manner.
That being said. I am pro law enforcement. We are a country of laws. Law enforcement is a part of that and is essential component of law and order. Somehow we have lost some of the respect we used to have for law and order and we can see it in the crime rates around the country. We need to figure out how to get that back.
One of the problems is open carry. You guys want that. So, do you think Jan 6th would have worked out better if everyone attacking the Capitol were able to carry AR-15s right up to the door legally?

I mean, if everyone can carry military weapons around legally, I guess you think that the cops should be having military weaponry too.

Doesn't do much for a free country.

And yes, it's easy to see you're ignoring me again. Hey, a man's got to know his limitations, and you know yours! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Weapons breed mistrust. An armed society is a violent society.

A lot of these problems with police brutality seem to start with traffic stops. The traffic stop is a disaster waiting to happen. The cops don't know who they're dealing with and what kind of weapons might be in the car, so they go in expecting the worst. At a minimum, everyone is acutely aware that the person being detained already has one deadly weapon... the car. The level of tension seems to escalate very fast, and not always for the best of reasons. When the driver is Black, that seems to ratchet the tension up even farther, so it's acceptable to say that many traffic stops are racial incidents waiting to happen.

We obviously need a better way of doing them. It wouldn't have helped with George Floyd, that one was not a traffic stop, and it might have actually been an old personal grudge that led to murder under cover of authority. It would have prevented some of the other abuses, which are many and very well documented. Right now, with the limited evidence that's been presented on the Nooz, we have reason to believe that it would have prevented this case, and a nice guy who was returning home from photographing a sunset would be alive and well today.

Tell you one thing... I'm sick of these incidents, and the violence that kills innocent people, and the further violence that inevitably breaks out involving provocateurs of all colors and persuasions. The one absolute here is that we can't go on doing what we're doing, or eventually one of these is going to get a LOT of people killed. It might even start a civil war. It's definitely Einstein's definition of insanity... doing the same bad thing over and over again expecting a different outcome this time.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

One thing that would really make a difference is to do away with the laws concerning qualified immunity. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/qualified_immunity

For the most part, cops can do whatever they want and nothing can be done, except in VERY unusual situations.

They need to be accountable for their actions, and right now they are shielded. If they deny people’s constitutional rights, they must pay a real price, up to and including jail time.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:52 pm Weapons breed mistrust. An armed society is a violent society.

A lot of these problems with police brutality seem to start with traffic stops. The traffic stop is a disaster waiting to happen. The cops don't know who they're dealing with and what kind of weapons might be in the car, so they go in expecting the worst. At a minimum, everyone is acutely aware that the person being detained already has one deadly weapon... the car. The level of tension seems to escalate very fast, and not always for the best of reasons. When the driver is Black, that seems to ratchet the tension up even farther, so it's acceptable to say that many traffic stops are racial incidents waiting to happen.

We obviously need a better way of doing them. It wouldn't have helped with George Floyd, that one was not a traffic stop, and it might have actually been an old personal grudge that led to murder under cover of authority. It would have prevented some of the other abuses, which are many and very well documented. Right now, with the limited evidence that's been presented on the Nooz, we have reason to believe that it would have prevented this case, and a nice guy who was returning home from photographing a sunset would be alive and well today.

Tell you one thing... I'm sick of these incidents, and the violence that kills innocent people, and the further violence that inevitably breaks out involving provocateurs of all colors and persuasions. The one absolute here is that we can't go on doing what we're doing, or eventually one of these is going to get a LOT of people killed. It might even start a civil war. It's definitely Einstein's definition of insanity... doing the same bad thing over and over again expecting a different outcome this time.
For better or worse, weapons are part of the culture in this country. I’m not sure how much you can change that especially at a time when crime is on the rise and police as a group are under fire. People I never thought would own a firearm are buying guns for protection.

We know who repeat offenders are and we used to keep them locked up. We have gotten away from that for some reason. We need to get back to protecting the public from these folks. IMO.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Telling someone who's been through four riots in LA that scared people buy guns is like telling your mama how to suck eggs.

I think by now I get how the urban dynamic works, thank you.

Hopefully the governor of CA has already put the National Guard on standby.

Seems like the problem this time might be related to the SCORPION unit, though not all of the cops were in it. It would depend on who made the initial stop. No one who has seen the video thinks that there was any reckless driving involved. A scared Black kid ran, and I dunno, is flight still a felony there, the rest played out with the inevitability of a Shakespearean tragedy, and the last act has yet to happen and leave the stage littered with bodies.

Interesting that they also picked today to release the video of the (then) Speaker of the House's husband being whacked upside the head with a hammer.

This country is a mess.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:51 pm For better or worse, weapons are part of the culture in this country. I’m not sure how much you can change that especially at a time when crime is on the rise and police as a group are under fire. People I never thought would own a firearm are buying guns for protection.

We know who repeat offenders are and we used to keep them locked up. We have gotten away from that for some reason. We need to get back to protecting the public from these folks. IMO.
Yeah, you got your way, Joe. This is a conservative utopia, a country awash in high power weaponry. Plus you want gun owners - WHITE gun owners who should be able to blow anyone away they feel scared of. Ask Trayvon Martin.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

ZoWie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:31 pm Telling someone who's been through four riots in LA that scared people buy guns is like telling your mama how to suck eggs.

I think by now I get how the urban dynamic works, thank you.

Hopefully the governor of CA has already put the National Guard on standby.

Seems like the problem this time might be related to the SCORPION unit, though not all of the cops were in it. It would depend on who made the initial stop. No one who has seen the video thinks that there was any reckless driving involved. A scared Black kid ran, and I dunno, is flight still a felony there, the rest played out with the inevitability of a Shakespearean tragedy, and the last act has yet to happen and leave the stage littered with bodies.

Interesting that they also picked today to release the video of the (then) Speaker of the House's husband being whacked upside the head with a hammer.

This country is a mess.
I am sure there is more to the story than we already know. Clearly these cops exceeded their authority. It is what it is. That doesn’t necessarily mean that every cop will follow suit. In this case, the case was investigated very efficiently and the officers terminated and charged. It’s isn’t perfect. A man still died unnecessarily. But innocent men/women and children are dying everyday in this country and we need law enforcement. So if there is a different solution that doesn’t involve law enforcement, I’m all ears. I haven’t seen or heard of it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:15 pm I am sure there is more to the story than we already know. Clearly these cops exceeded their authority. It is what it is. That doesn’t necessarily mean that every cop will follow suit. In this case, the case was investigated very efficiently and the officers terminated and charged. It’s isn’t perfect. A man still died unnecessarily. But innocent men/women and children are dying everyday in this country and we need law enforcement. So if there is a different solution that doesn’t involve law enforcement, I’m all ears. I haven’t seen or heard of it.
We need law enforcement. We don't need storm troopers, and that's what we have now. Congratulations, you got your way. But we all have to live with the consequences.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Good piece via CNN - https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opinions ... index.html
One of the sad facts about anti-Black racism is that Black people ourselves are not immune to its pernicious effects. Society’s message that Black people are inferior, unworthy and dangerous is pervasive. Over many decades, numerous experiments have shown that these ideas can infiltrate Black minds as well as White. Self-hatred is a real thing.

That’s why a Black store owner might regard customers of his same race with suspicion, while treating his White patrons with deference. Black people can harbor anti-Black sentiments and can act on those feelings in harmful ways.

Black cops are often socialized in police departments that view certain neighborhoods as war zones. In those departments, few officers get disciplined for dishing out “street justice” in certain precincts — often populated by Black, brown or low-income people — where there is a tacit understanding that the “rulebook” simply doesn’t apply.

Cops of all colors, including Black police officers, internalize those messages — and sometimes act on them. In fact, in Black neighborhoods, the phenomenon of brutal Black cops singling out young Black men for abuse is nothing new. Back in 1989, the rap group NWA highlighted the problem in a classic hip-hop anthem, in which Ice Cube rapped:

“But don’t let it be a Black and White (cop)/
Coz they’ll slam ya/
Down to the street top/
Black police showing out for the White cop.”

When it comes to police violence, race does matter — but possibly not the way you think.

At the end of the day, it is the race of the victim who is brutalized — not the race of the violent cop — that is most relevant in determining whether racial bias is a factor in police violence. It’s hard to imagine five cops of any color beating a White person to death under similar circumstances. And it is almost impossible to imagine five Black cops giving a White arrestee the kind of beat-down that Nichols allegedly received.

In short, racial animus can still be a factor, even when the perpetrators are all Black. And that’s especially true if these actions are a part of a broader pattern and practice within the Memphis Police Department.

It’s a sad fact, but one that’s old as time itself: People often oppress people who look just like them. The vast majority of human rights abuses are committed by people who look exactly like the people they are abusing.

Wells, who has not watched the video of her son’s beating, told CNN through tears that she feels sorry for the officers: “They have put their own families in harm’s way. They have brought shame to their own families. They brought shame to the Black community…I really feel sorry for them, because they didn’t have to do this.” Regarding the officers’ race, Wells also noted to CNN that violence like what happened to her son is about how some bad cops use their power over Black and brown victims.

The key to reducing the incidence of police violence is stricter oversight and swifter punishment. I am glad that the offending officers were quickly fired and charged. We need more of that — and not just when the cops are Black. Civil rights advocates once pushed for more racial integration in police departments, in hopes that more Black cops would lead to less police brutality. But while racial integration is important for basic fairness and opportunity, it is not a panacea against police abuse.

Any system needs to put into place adequate checks and balances. Without meat inspectors, you would see a lot more food poisoning. Without building inspectors, you would see a lot more buildings falling down. And policing is just as much — even more — in need of rigorous internal monitoring that roots out bad cops and holds the entire police department to the highest standards of conduct.

Unless there is real oversight, with real consequences for wrongdoing, bad actors will take advantage, lower the practical standards for everyone and put all of us at risk. And without aggressive oversight and swift punishment, we’ll continue to see stomach-churning acts of police violence against Black men — by cops of every color.
gounion

Post by gounion »

And one more thing BEFORE the video comes out - People always say the black guy deserved it, that they were at fault, because they didn't comply and obey. Also, they are always crooks in the eyes of the white people. From Rodney King to George Floyd, they were crooks already, so it's okay.

First, Tyre Nichols wasn't a crook - but of course the right will look for any slight idea that he wasn't a sinless man his whole life. Maybe he smoked dope. Maybe he drank some. Maybe he's got speeding tickets at some point in his life. ANYTHING to blame him.

And we'll see if he complied and obeyed. According to the police, doesn't sound like it was an issue. It was an execution.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:57 pm I don’t disagree with much of what you say. Memphis has had its problems with race going back many years. After a while people tend to assume that every problem is a race problem. That is not always the case. That kind of thinking then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

[bold]In some places all you need to be a cop is a GED. The wages there are usually below minimum wage.

In other places you need at the least a 2 yr. degree and proper training. The wages are decent in that case.

It's why we need a federal program that covers all states.
Last edited by bradman on Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

All police departments, at least the ones that are worth a shit, a bracing for what's next.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

A violent orgy of inequality, inhumanity, and injustice.

Video shows Memphis police violently beating Tyre Nichols in the traffic stop that led to his death
Five former officers, who were fired last week, were charged Thursday with second-degree murder and other crimes in connection to Nichols' death.....
Glennfs

Post by Glennfs »

gounion wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:32 pm And one more thing BEFORE the video comes out - People always say the black guy deserved it, that they were at fault, because they didn't comply and obey. Also, they are always crooks in the eyes of the white people. From Rodney King to George Floyd, they were crooks already, so it's okay.

First, Tyre Nichols wasn't a crook - but of course the right will look for any slight idea that he wasn't a sinless man his whole life. Maybe he smoked dope. Maybe he drank some. Maybe he's got speeding tickets at some point in his life. ANYTHING to blame him.

And we'll see if he complied and obeyed. According to the police, doesn't sound like it was an issue. It was an execution.
Why did you assume the cops were white.
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
Glennfs

Post by Glennfs »

Motor City wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:44 am A violent orgy of inequality, inhumanity, and injustice.

Video shows Memphis police violently beating Tyre Nichols in the traffic stop that led to his death

They claimed they were stopping him on suspicion of reckless driving which is a bullshit coverall
Years ago when I was poor I took a rural paper route job. It covered over 100 miles a day.
Back then the paper was an afternoon paper except for Saturday and Sunday.
Friday and Saturday night i had to leave at 11pm to get to my route.
Several times I was stopped on my way to the route for suspicion of reckless driving, the cops usually said I was weaving.
When in fact I was pulled over because I was a young guy driving a beat up Volare station wagon on Friday or Saturday night after 11pm.
Which is probably why that guy was getting stopped.
" I am a socialist " Bernie Sanders
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:16 pm [bold]In some places all you need to be a cop is a GED. The wages there are usually below minimum wage.

In other places you need at the least a 2 yr. degree and proper training. The wages are decent in that case.

It's why we need a federal program that covers all states.
What would a federal program do?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:48 am What would a federal program do?
Set basic minimum qualifications, for starters.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:48 am What would a federal program do?
Standardized testing, pay, and more importantly a nation wide tracking system to weed out the cowboys.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

1. I was stopped once because the cop said "I looked a little young." He examined my license and registration, and apparently they met with his approval. Keep in mind that I'm a white guy and was in a rich neighborhood along the beach at the time. Ghetto problem, my ass. More like a cop problem. I can see how if I'd been Black I'd likely have been told to get out of the car.

We have to deal with this issue regarding traffic stops escalating. George Floyd is the only time in the four riots I've seen in LA that it didn't start this way.

2. Riot #5 might be under way, but I don't see any spontaneous rising, just the usual opportunistic troublemakers. They gather, hit everything that stands still with spray can graffiti, and throw stuff at the cops. The cops call for more cops, arrest 50 or so people, and the party is on. Four TV helicopters and 200 more cops show up. Looters who have nothing to do with the rumble arrive in carefully coordinated groups and clean out neighboring stores while attention is directed elsewhere. The damage costs thousands of dollars and the city doesn't pay for it. Rinse repeat the next day until the governor finally calls in the National Guard and puts the city on curfew. Again.

3. The big trouble last night was, as often happens, in the rich folks' part of town. It's actually more dangerous than the ghetto on a typical Friday or Saturday night. What happens is that opportunists rent big mansions and put out flyers that the party's going to be there this week. These parties typically start around midnight and go all night, with no host bars and maximum noise and disruption. About one time in ten, rival gangs show up and the nice neighborhood experiences a different sort of location shoot. The one last night left three dead and seven wounded, and put a lot of bullet holes in expensive real estate. It's not even summer yet.

4. More trouble is expected today. Here we go again. I have to get out of LA.
Last edited by ZoWie on Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:50 am Standardized testing, pay, and more importantly a nation wide tracking system to weed out the cowboys.
I’m fine with testing and standards as long as the federal government doesn’t mandate. Nationwide tracking of cowboys is fine. Standard setting should be local but I think suggesting minimum standards is perfectly fine. Pay is a different matter as well. The Feds don’t need to get into setting pay levels for local law enforcement in my opinion. Those become unfunded mandates.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Back in Texas, I got a couple of red light tickets. Got them in the mail, with a link to a video of my not stopping completely before turning on red. No stops. Texas loves them because it's an easy way to make a LOT of money. If I recall, they were around a hundred dollars each. Doesn't go against your record, as they don't know who is driving.

Cops LOVE "broken tail lights" because that gives them a chance to run the tags and see if they've got pot so they can bust them.

How about you just take a video of the light, and the tag, and send them a ticket in the mail?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:26 am I’m fine with testing and standards as long as the federal government doesn’t mandate. Nationwide tracking of cowboys is fine. Standard setting should be local but I think suggesting minimum standards is perfectly fine. Pay is a different matter as well. The Feds don’t need to get into setting pay levels for local law enforcement in my opinion. Those become unfunded mandates.
Hey, YOU'RE the one that wants more cops. You want them, you pay for them, okay?

I don't think we need more of the policing we have now. I don't believe in having a Police State.