Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: Racist/Corrupt/Immoral Police Thread.

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:40 pm There is a reason why we call authoritarian regimes "police states".

In general, they tend to favor unfettered powers for the police, who of course are agents of the state.

Therefore, those who support limiting police powers, like liberals, are anti-authoritarian.

I'm glad this matter could be cleared up. :D
That is indeed good to know. The term “police state” has often been thrown around quite loosely. I don’t think anyone is advocating unfettered powers for law enforcement. It’s possible to be pro law enforcement or pro law and order and without going so far as a police state. I think most people would like to feel safe in their homes and on the streets where they live and work. We need law and order for that. We need law enforcement for that. I haven’t heard a better alternative and vilifying law enforcement in general hasn’t helped this far.

I’m open to suggestions.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:37 pm That is indeed good to know. The term “police state” has often been thrown around quite loosely. I don’t think anyone is advocating unfettered powers for law enforcement. It’s possible to be pro law enforcement or pro law and order and without going so far as a police state. I think most people would like to feel safe in their homes and on the streets where they live and work. We need law and order for that. We need law enforcement for that. I haven’t heard a better alternative and vilifying law enforcement in general hasn’t helped this far.

I’m open to suggestions.
No you're not.

Again, we have several suggestions on this thread already. Supposedly you're the one that likes to debate issues. Yet you're not debating anything, you just think the answer is to overrun us with more and more cops. BTW, how much more in taxes are you willing to pay to pay for all these cops and all their gear? And the lawsuits? Or do you just think they can give out more tickets to pay for themselves?

These are serious questions that you don't want to talk about.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:41 pm No you're not.

Again, we have several suggestions on this thread already. Supposedly you're the one that likes to debate issues. Yet you're not debating anything, you just think the answer is to overrun us with more and more cops. BTW, how much more in taxes are you willing to pay to pay for all these cops and all their gear? And the lawsuits? Or do you just think they can give out more tickets to pay for themselves?

These are serious questions that you don't want to talk about.
I have absolutely no problem whatsoever paying more in taxes for first responders. None. I actually like safe streets. I actually like to see people out and about without worrying about being attacked or shot or robbed. So yeah, if it costs more for that. Sign me up.

I would say the same for education but that’s a different topic for another day.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:47 pm I have absolutely no problem whatsoever paying more in taxes for first responders. None. I actually like safe streets. I actually like to see people out and about without worrying about being attacked or shot or robbed. So yeah, if it costs more for that. Sign me up.

I would say the same for education but that’s a different topic for another day.
Oh? Are you in fear to leave your house?

And what about people that are more in fear of being attacked by the police? Do you give a shit about them?

Again, we've put forward proposals about, among other things, doing away with Qualified Immunity.

I thought of another one today. First, EVERYONE gets body cams, and EVERYONE gets always-on dash cams, that can look out all sides of the cars.

The problem with body cams is they don't look at the footage until there's a question. I think you hire more supervisors to look at random footage to see how officers treat people during all interactions. They may act better if they know they ARE being watched.

Also, if you get a ticket or are stopped, the officer must give you a paper with a QR code so you can see the video that the body cam took of your stop, then you can put in a complaint electronically based upon the stop.

Full transparency. I mean, you always get a notice when you make a phone call for any kind of service that your call is "monitored for quality and training purposes". 9/11 calls are all recorded. Seems reasonable, since we've got cops murdering people.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:10 pm Oh? Are you in fear to leave your house?

And what about people that are more in fear of being attacked by the police? Do you give a shit about them?

Again, we've put forward proposals about, among other things, doing away with Qualified Immunity.

I thought of another one today. First, EVERYONE gets body cams, and EVERYONE gets always-on dash cams, that can look out all sides of the cars.

The problem with body cams is they don't look at the footage until there's a question. I think you hire more supervisors to look at random footage to see how officers treat people during all interactions. They may act better if they know they ARE being watched.

Also, if you get a ticket or are stopped, the officer must give you a paper with a QR code so you can see the video that the body cam took of your stop, then you can put in a complaint electronically based upon the stop.

Full transparency. I mean, you always get a notice when you make a phone call for any kind of service that your call is "monitored for quality and training purposes". 9/11 calls are all recorded. Seems reasonable, since we've got cops murdering people.
No I don’t fear leaving my house. I live in St Petersburg. However, I wouldn’t go walking around in certain parts of Memphis after dark. So if it means hiring more officers and more firemen and more EMT’s, I all for that. If it means more training. I’m for that as well. I don’t necessarily have an issue with reasonable modification to qualified immunity. I’m not for doing away with it entirely.

Let’s start by keeping repeat offenders in jail.
Last edited by JoeMemphis on Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm
Your reply was blank. FYI.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm Your reply was blank. FYI.
My apologies. I edited the original.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm No I don’t fear leaving my house. I live in St Petersburg. However, I wouldn’t go walking around in certain parts of Memphis after dark. So if it means hiring more officers and more firemen and more EMT’s, I all for that. If it means more training. I’m for that as well. I don’t necessarily have an issue with reasonable modification to qualified immunity. I’m not for doing away with it entirely.

Let’s start by keeping repeat offenders in jail.
So you don’t need more keeps to keep YOU feeling safe. What about the people who don’t feel safe FROM the police? So, you say you’re for paying higher taxes. Are you willing to pay higher taxes for OTHER parts of town and the country, since the folks that live in poor neighborhoods can’t afford to pay higher taxes? That’s a good argument for nationalization of our police.

No, let’s start by putting police offenders in jail. What would you keep on qualified immunity?

And what about my proposal for watching the cops with their body cams? It’s funny when someone makes a proposal and then people like you who says he’s here to debate just ignores it.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:19 pm So you don’t need more keeps to keep YOU feeling safe. What about the people who don’t feel safe FROM the police? So, you say you’re for paying higher taxes. Are you willing to pay higher taxes for OTHER parts of town and the country, since the folks that live in poor neighborhoods can’t afford to pay higher taxes? That’s a good argument for nationalization of our police.

No, let’s start by putting police offenders in jail. What would you keep on qualified immunity?

And what about my proposal for watching the cops with their body cams? It’s funny when someone makes a proposal and then people like you who says he’s here to debate just ignores it.
The last time this came up in the City of Memphis I voted for the tax increase. We didn’t have a special fund for just my neighborhood. Not how it works.

I don’t have a problem charging anyone who breaks the law. Never have. I am not for nationalizing police. For a man who says he doesn’t want a police state, you sure are arguing for a police state.

As for qualified immunity, I don’t believe you will get anyone to take a job that puts them in a situation where they have to make split second decisions without some protection. Only an idiot would take such a job.

I don’t have a problem with more cameras. If it comes down to prioritizing limited resources, I would choose to prioritize investing in personnel.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Police should stop making minor traffic stops that too often turn into major tragedies
Our View: When being pulled over for driving while Black can bring a death sentence, reform of policing, including why and how police make traffic stops, is desperately needed.
A national emergency
bradman

Post by bradman »

There's a problem with body cameras. So much of a problem that at one time some organizations like BLM weren't to hip about cops using them. Apparently, the cops can edit the video to their favor. It's the same problem phone videos coming from the public have. By the time some of those videos make it to social media you'll find them lacking the full picture. There has to be a better way to handle both.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:16 am There's a problem with body cameras. So much of a problem that at one time some organizations like BLM weren't to hip about cops using them. Apparently, the cops can edit the video to their favor. It's the same problem phone videos coming from the public have. By the time some of those videos make it to social media you'll find them lacking the full picture. There has to be a better way to handle both.
Cameras are becoming more and more prevalent. So before long they will pretty much cover most public areas. Not to mention that everyone has a smart phone these days.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 pm The last time this came up in the City of Memphis I voted for the tax increase. We didn’t have a special fund for just my neighborhood. Not how it works.
Well, good for you. Just think, your vote may have helped to pay for the murder of Tyre Nichols.
I don’t have a problem charging anyone who breaks the law. Never have. I am not for nationalizing police. For a man who says he doesn’t want a police state, you sure are arguing for a police state.
No, that's not arguing for a police state. That's for arguing for being against the corruption of local police departments when they don't have oversight. Also, how does a poor community come up with the money to pay for proper policing?
As for qualified immunity, I don’t believe you will get anyone to take a job that puts them in a situation where they have to make split second decisions without some protection. Only an idiot would take such a job.
What protection? I'm more concerned with protecting the citizens from corrupt and violent cops who don't give a shit about the rights of citizens. Again, please be specific when talking about what you want to keep in qualified immunity. Me, I think cops need to be held to account. If they refuse to treat the citizens with dignity and respect, and respect their Constitutional rights, then why should they have any protection?
I don’t have a problem with more cameras. If it comes down to prioritizing limited resources, I would choose to prioritize investing in personnel.
So you would be in favor of personnel to use the videos to check on how the police are treating the citizens. Having those videos reviewed and the officers held responsible for their actions in those videos. If they aren't doing their jobs right, then they can either be coached or fired, as needed, right?
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:13 am Cameras are becoming more and more prevalent. So before long they will pretty much cover most public areas. Not to mention that everyone has a smart phone these days.
Ya i remember a time when both right and left questioned big brothers watchful eye. Like it or not it's something to be lived with now.

In some cases, it's how they're being used by big brother and the public that bothers me.

Take for instance this latest beating. Apparently a few other first responders are also going down. There's a 15 minute gap between the end of the beating and when he was first attended to. After a better investigation we find out the cops took that time to get their story straight. They had to justify the beating after all. Now none of this may have never been known if it hadn't been for a cop camera(kinda like a spotshotter) on pole which caught the whole thing from beginning to end.

And, in some cases, basically the same can be said for smart phones.

What we need is a national game plan to better audit the influence any video taken in such cases. Some standards. Some protocols. Some rules damnit.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:31 am Well, good for you. Just think, your vote may have helped to pay for the murder of Tyre Nichols.

No, that's not arguing for a police state. That's for arguing for being against the corruption of local police departments when they don't have oversight. Also, how does a poor community come up with the money to pay for proper policing?

What protection? I'm more concerned with protecting the citizens from corrupt and violent cops who don't give a shit about the rights of citizens. Again, please be specific when talking about what you want to keep in qualified immunity. Me, I think cops need to be held to account. If they refuse to treat the citizens with dignity and respect, and respect their Constitutional rights, then why should they have any protection?
So you would be in favor of personnel to use the videos to check on how the police are treating the citizens. Having those videos reviewed and the officers held responsible for their actions in those videos. If they aren't doing their jobs right, then they can either be coached or fired, as needed, right?
Your first paragraph is just you being an asshole. Typical.

Anything involving people can be corrupted. The federal government has its share. So shifting more power to the Feds does not eliminate corruption nor is it any guarantee against corruption. It just federalizes corruption. If you bother to look at real “police” states you will note that they all involve a nationalized police force. So if you don’t want a police state, you don’t want a nationalized police force. Secondly, state and local laws and state and local law enforcement do not fall under federal jurisdiction under the Constitution. I highly doubt that state and local governments are going to cede that responsibility to the Feds. I don’t blame them. Here lately the Feds have a rather peculiar way of not enforcing federal laws.

As I said, I am open to discussing reasonable reforms to qualified immunity. I do not favor doing away with it completely for the reason I stated previously. The police have been vilified for the last 2 1/2 years and many departments the defunded now can’t hire enough police officers to fill their needs. That and the fact that crime has risen in many of these communities doesn’t speak well for the current strategy or lack thereof. So putting people in a position where they need to make split second decisions with no support and no protection is unreasonable. Such a strategy will make it even more difficult to hire good cops. No reasonable person would take such a risk.

My spending priorities would be simple: personnel, training, equipment. In that order. By personnel. I mean street cops, firemen and EMTs.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:12 am Ya i remember a time when both right and left questioned big brothers watchful eye. Like it or not it's something to be lived with now.

In some cases, it's how they're being used by big brother and the public that bothers me.

Take for instance this latest beating. Apparently a few other first responders are also going down. There's a 15 minute gap between the end of the beating and when he was first attended to. After a better investigation we find out the cops took that time to get their story straight. They had to justify the beating after all. Now none of this may have never been known if it hadn't been for a cop camera(kinda like a spotshotter) on pole which caught the whole thing from beginning to end.

And, in some cases, basically the same can be said for smart phones.

What we need is a national game plan to better audit the influence any video taken in such cases. Some standards. Some protocols. Some rules damnit.
As I mentioned earlier, the Feds don’t have jurisdiction in state and local matters. So they can suggest but I don’t know that they can set those kinds of standards.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:18 am As I mentioned earlier, the Feds don’t have jurisdiction in state and local matters. So they can suggest but I don’t know that they can set those kinds of standards.
Something it told some of the guys on my crew when the going got tuff, "Don't tell me how it can't be done. Give me ways it can be done". :)
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:33 am Something it told some of the guys on my crew when the going got tuff, "Don't tell me how it can't be done. Give me ways it can be done". :)
Okay. Amend the constitution.

We are a republic. We have a constitution that provides for limited government and enumerated those tasks and duties that were the responsibility of the Federal government. Anything not mentioned in the Constitution or its amendments is the responsibility of the states. This would include state and local law enforcement.

So if you want to change the rules, amend the constitution.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:54 am Okay. Amend the constitution.

We are a republic. We have a constitution that provides for limited government and enumerated those tasks and duties that were the responsibility of the Federal government. Anything not mentioned in the Constitution or its amendments is the responsibility of the states. This would include state and local law enforcement.

So if you want to change the rules, amend the constitution.
Almost impossible. Takes to much time and time we don't have.

Got anything better? Gimme something or it's back to the office for you. (Sorry, we don't let negative nancy's on our crew. They just contribute to the problem at hand.:mrgreen:)
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:44 am Almost impossible. Takes to much time and time we don't have.

Got anything better? Gimme something or it's back to the office for you. (Sorry, we don't let negative nancy's on our crew. They just contribute to the problem at hand.:mrgreen:)
That’s okay. You guys just keep chewing on it for a while until you find something workable and realistic. It’s just that darn Constitution thing. If it weren’t for the rules then you could do whatever you want. ;)

Like I used to tell some of my clients, my job is not to tell you what you want to hear but rather what you can or cannot do under the law and regulations. If you want someone to tell you what you want to hear, go to the sales department or to a politician.
Last edited by JoeMemphis on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Since when do conservatives believe in the Constitution? The way things have been going, they'd rather it ripped up.

Seriously, someone who claims to be for the Constitution but ignores important parts of the Constitution and also votes for those who attempted to overthrow the American government, should probably stop lying that they are pro Constitution.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:15 am Your first paragraph is just you being an asshole. Typical.
Yes, but it was a real point. This time five cops murdered a man. Another tax hike, and we can have ten cops in on it. Our system is broken, and just more money and more cops won't fix it. And poor communities can't afford higher taxes in order to pay for more cops to murder them.

I mean, did your higher taxes pay for the Scorpion Squad? How did that improve anything?
Anything involving people can be corrupted. The federal government has its share. So shifting more power to the Feds does not eliminate corruption nor is it any guarantee against corruption. It just federalizes corruption. If you bother to look at real “police” states you will note that they all involve a nationalized police force. So if you don’t want a police state, you don’t want a nationalized police force. Secondly, state and local laws and state and local law enforcement do not fall under federal jurisdiction under the Constitution. I highly doubt that state and local governments are going to cede that responsibility to the Feds. I don’t blame them. Here lately the Feds have a rather peculiar way of not enforcing federal laws.

Looking at history, and what the cops did in the Jim Crow South WAS a police state, as far as black people were concerned - and many white people too. First, if you have qualification, testing, training, oversight and funding nationalized, you can still have local elected leadership. But the departments can be more accountable.
As I said, I am open to discussing reasonable reforms to qualified immunity. I do not favor doing away with it completely for the reason I stated previously. The police have been vilified for the last 2 1/2 years and many departments the defunded now can’t hire enough police officers to fill their needs.
Okay, that statement is false. No Police Departments have been defunded. How about we deal is FACTS, not right-wing lies. Reality:

Republicans have spent the past two years accusing Democrats of trying to defund police departments. But the facts show that the police have not been defunded. In fact, not only have Democrats put more money into policing since fiscal year 2019, but they also spend more on policing than Republican-run cities. Here are the facts that disprove this myth:

Democrat-run cities spend more money on policing than Republican-run cities, with the 25 largest Democrat-run cities spending 38 percent more on policing per capita than the 25 largest Republican-run cities.
Of the 25 largest cities, 20 saw increases in their police budgets from FY 2019 to FY 2022. Twenty-one of these cities are run by Democrats.
The 25 largest cities saw their police budgets grow by a total of 5 percent from FY 2019 to FY 2022.
Democrat-run cities have more police per capita than Republican-run cities. The 25 largest Democrat-run cities employ 75 percent more police officers per capita than the 25 largest Republican-run cities.
At the federal level, President Joe Biden and Democrats sponsored and secured passage of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), which provides federal resources to support police departments. Republicans voted against President Biden’s ARPA, which included $350 million in federal funding to hire more police.
Cities across the country, both big and small, are using funds provided by President Biden and Democrats under the American Rescue Plan to support law enforcement. For example:

The city of Houston used ARPA funds to create the Domestic Abuse Response Team program to address “rising domestic violence during the pandemic.”
The ARPA allowed Kansas City to hire up to 150 police officers and put aside $12.4 million for the Violent Crimes Division.
In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the mayor used funds for a number of crime reduction efforts, including “gun violence reduction strategies in areas dominated by gun violence and increase community policing.”
In Whiteland, Indiana, the Whiteland Police Department plans to use $409,200 to buy “six police cars, 14 laptops or tablets to be installed in the cars, 15 body-worn cameras, a body-worn camera for the department’s K9 officer, 14 ballistic vests and helmets, 15 tasers and cartridges, up to two drones, four desktop computers and $15,500 worth of miscellaneous supplies.”

Despite the rhetoric, Democrats are the ones who have placed an emphasis on funding law enforcement. The rest is just a political myth.
That and the fact that crime has risen in many of these communities doesn’t speak well for the current strategy or lack thereof.
As for your continued prattle about crime going up, that's not factual either. Reality:

Now, some cities, like New York, have seen an uptick, but on the whole, crime is down. But every election season, the GOP has to try to scare everyone.

The only ones needing to be scared are the black people cops like to murder.
So putting people in a position where they need to make split second decisions with no support and no protection is unreasonable. Such a strategy will make it even more difficult to hire good cops. No reasonable person would take such a risk.
Why would being held accountable for your actions be something a reasonable person would risk? I mean, I've had to be accountable for my actions in every job I've EVER taken. As a union rep, I even had to purchase insurance if I were personally sued in my line of work, which happens a lot. People will sue the union AND the union rep. And no, I was never sued, but many were. But we aren't given any immunity for our actions.

Hell at one of our shops, where we had more than one union, a Business Agent of another union got pissed at a member in the facility parking lot and beat him up. He was sued AND went to jail.

So your argument falls flat. I ask again, what things would you keep in Qualified Immunity? Let's be specific.
My spending priorities would be simple: personnel, training, equipment. In that order. By personnel. I mean street cops, firemen and EMTs.
So, you just want MORE of what is causing the problem now. Just more cops, but not more oversight.

And most departments, even small towns, have military-grade equipment. I mean, Alvorado TX had it's own SWAT team and training and full gear, but they stood outside and let children get massacred, while they waited for the Feds to arrive to actually rescue the children left alive.

But how does a town of less than 4,000 people have a SWAT Team? I'd say they're getting their money from the feds, no?

So it seems to me you're not really looking for any ACTUAL solution.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Here in Mpls. the council did vote to cut funding for the police. 10 million from the budget they did. Some of the council members that voted to cut that money have now voted to put it back and then some.

Hiring problems? They have the money to hire but after the last couple years who the hell would want to be a cop?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:51 pm Yes, but it was a real point. This time five cops murdered a man. Another tax hike, and we can have ten cops in on it. Our system is broken, and just more money and more cops won't fix it. And poor communities can't afford higher taxes in order to pay for more cops to murder them.

I mean, did your higher taxes pay for the Scorpion Squad? How did that improve anything?

Looking at history, and what the cops did in the Jim Crow South WAS a police state, as far as black people were concerned - and many white people too. First, if you have qualification, testing, training, oversight and funding nationalized, you can still have local elected leadership. But the departments can be more accountable.

Okay, that statement is false. No Police Departments have been defunded. How about we deal is FACTS, not right-wing lies. Reality:

Republicans have spent the past two years accusing Democrats of trying to defund police departments. But the facts show that the police have not been defunded. In fact, not only have Democrats put more money into policing since fiscal year 2019, but they also spend more on policing than Republican-run cities. Here are the facts that disprove this myth:

Democrat-run cities spend more money on policing than Republican-run cities, with the 25 largest Democrat-run cities spending 38 percent more on policing per capita than the 25 largest Republican-run cities.
Of the 25 largest cities, 20 saw increases in their police budgets from FY 2019 to FY 2022. Twenty-one of these cities are run by Democrats.
The 25 largest cities saw their police budgets grow by a total of 5 percent from FY 2019 to FY 2022.
Democrat-run cities have more police per capita than Republican-run cities. The 25 largest Democrat-run cities employ 75 percent more police officers per capita than the 25 largest Republican-run cities.
At the federal level, President Joe Biden and Democrats sponsored and secured passage of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA), which provides federal resources to support police departments. Republicans voted against President Biden’s ARPA, which included $350 million in federal funding to hire more police.
Cities across the country, both big and small, are using funds provided by President Biden and Democrats under the American Rescue Plan to support law enforcement. For example:

The city of Houston used ARPA funds to create the Domestic Abuse Response Team program to address “rising domestic violence during the pandemic.”
The ARPA allowed Kansas City to hire up to 150 police officers and put aside $12.4 million for the Violent Crimes Division.
In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the mayor used funds for a number of crime reduction efforts, including “gun violence reduction strategies in areas dominated by gun violence and increase community policing.”
In Whiteland, Indiana, the Whiteland Police Department plans to use $409,200 to buy “six police cars, 14 laptops or tablets to be installed in the cars, 15 body-worn cameras, a body-worn camera for the department’s K9 officer, 14 ballistic vests and helmets, 15 tasers and cartridges, up to two drones, four desktop computers and $15,500 worth of miscellaneous supplies.”

Despite the rhetoric, Democrats are the ones who have placed an emphasis on funding law enforcement. The rest is just a political myth.

As for your continued prattle about crime going up, that's not factual either. Reality:

Now, some cities, like New York, have seen an uptick, but on the whole, crime is down. But every election season, the GOP has to try to scare everyone.

The only ones needing to be scared are the black people cops like to murder.

Why would being held accountable for your actions be something a reasonable person would risk? I mean, I've had to be accountable for my actions in every job I've EVER taken. As a union rep, I even had to purchase insurance if I were personally sued in my line of work, which happens a lot. People will sue the union AND the union rep. And no, I was never sued, but many were. But we aren't given any immunity for our actions.

Hell at one of our shops, where we had more than one union, a Business Agent of another union got pissed at a member in the facility parking lot and beat him up. He was sued AND went to jail.

So your argument falls flat. I ask again, what things would you keep in Qualified Immunity? Let's be specific.
So, you just want MORE of what is causing the problem now. Just more cops, but not more oversight.

And most departments, even small towns, have military-grade equipment. I mean, Alvorado TX had it's own SWAT team and training and full gear, but they stood outside and let children get massacred, while they waited for the Feds to arrive to actually rescue the children left alive.

But how does a town of less than 4,000 people have a SWAT Team? I'd say they're getting their money from the feds, no?

So it seems to me you're not really looking for any ACTUAL solution.
Where to start.

First, this isn’t a discussion of Democrat versus Republican management although that’s where you inevitably go. I didn’t bring up who manages which department. So you wasted a shitload of words to make a point I don’t give a shit about. My point is that corruption isn’t confined to state and local government. Nationalizing every problem isn’t a solution and certainly doesn’t guarantee outcomes. As far as funding, fine with me. Do it with block grants. No strings. Strings equal Fed control otherwise what’s the point?

As far as you assertion that crime is down. That is a sales pitch. Fact is that many of these places have changes how these things are reported. That’s part of the problem. Things that used to be felonies and got you locked up are now misdemeanor crimes. Even some assaults. If you leave it to Soros everything would be a misdemeanor and you guys would be crowing that crime has been eliminated. And folks who don’t leave home or watch the news will buy that horseshit as fact.

Being a cop is a much different job than working a regular job. So the comparison you try to make is apples to oranges. It’s easy to ask other people to take risks you aren’t willing to take yourself.

I’m all for setting higher standards. I support higher pay and better training. I am not for throwing the baby out with the bath water when the vast majority of LE and first responders are good people trying to do a job, an often thankless job, putting themselves at risk. I just happen to believe we need to have their back. That doesn’t mean turning a blind eye to criminal misconduct.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:17 pm Where to start.

First, this isn’t a discussion of Democrat versus Republican management although that’s where you inevitably go. I didn’t bring up who manages which department. So you wasted a shitload of words to make a point I don’t give a shit about.
You were giving me a right-wing talking point, that Democrats had defended departments, so don't lie and say I'M the one that started the right-vs-left stuff. It was you. Take some responsibility, fer chrissakes.
My point is that corruption isn’t confined to state and local government. Nationalizing every problem isn’t a solution and certainly doesn’t guarantee outcomes. As far as funding, fine with me. Do it with block grants. No strings. Strings equal Fed control otherwise what’s the point?
Bullshit. We gave Alvarado, a hamlet of less than 4,000 people, a SWAT FUCKING TEAM TRAINING AND GEAR.

So why wasn't Alvarado safe? Why didn't the goddamn cops go in and save those kids? Why did they wait for the Feds? If there weren't any Feds, hell, they'll probably still be standing outside that room, waiting for the shooter to come out to draw his Social Security.

Nothing is guaranteed. But I'm looking at problems we have, and ways to solve them to a big degree.

So we have what YOU want to do. How did that work out for those little kids in Alvarado?
As far as you assertion that crime is down. That is a sales pitch. Fact is that many of these places have changes how these things are reported. That’s part of the problem. Things that used to be felonies and got you locked up are now misdemeanor crimes. Even some assaults. If you leave it to Soros everything would be a misdemeanor and you guys would be crowing that crime has been eliminated. And folks who don’t leave home or watch the news will buy that horseshit as fact.
So you just keep believing the right-wing talking points that crime is going up so damned much and we all must be scared. I realize places like New York and LA have problems - but for the rest of the nation, we shouldn't live in fear. Hell, I didn't feel afraid in DC.

You're the one with the sales pitch. Our problems aren't run-of-the-mill crime. Our problem is mass shootings and cops murdering black people.

What is your solution for those?
Being a cop is a much different job than working a regular job. So the comparison you try to make is apples to oranges. It’s easy to ask other people to take risks you aren’t willing to take yourself.
I don't care. It's their job to protect - not to kill, and not to run away and call for the Feds if they're called to risk their lives to save little kids. The new uniform for Alvarado Police should have a yellow stripe down their back. But I bet they're good at beating the shit of a uppity black man, right?
I’m all for setting higher standards. I support higher pay and better training. I am not for throwing the baby out with the bath water when the vast majority of LE and first responders are good people trying to do a job, an often thankless job, putting themselves at risk. I just happen to believe we need to have their back. That doesn’t mean turning a blind eye to criminal misconduct.
So we should just let them kill a black kid or two every once in a while to show them our love, right?

Again, for the umpteenth time, you say you want to keep parts of Qualified Immunity. Okay, SO WHAT PARTS?