Today's Idiot of the Day

News and events of the day
Number6

Today's Idiot of the Day

Post by Number6 »

I know there are a lot of candidates for Idiot of the Day and people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert would be daily candidates but here's the first Idiot of the Day.

A gun store owner thought it would be funny to pull a prank on his employee by replacing a real gun with a BB gun and then pulled it out and shoot it at the employee. Unfortunately, the owner pulled the wrong gun shot the employee with a real, loaded gun. The employee, a father of three, is dead as a result of this prank.
Coastal Firearms owner Jon Whitley was arrested this Monday nearly a month after the death of Stefan Mrgan.

"A police affidavit states that Whitley placed a replica Glock BB gun among real firearms in the store with the intent of pranking Mrgan. Instead, Whitley mistakenly picked up and fired a real gun at Mrgan, according to an incident report," WSOC's report stated.

A police affidavit filed in the case describes Whitley's actions as "unintentional" but also "reckless" and a “departure from common firearm safety practices," the paper writes.

Whitley is a former reserve deputy for the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office.
Raw Story
The first question that comes to my mind is why would a gun store owner have a loaded gun among the other guns? I could see where he might have a loaded gun behind the counter or having a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun on his person but having a loaded gun anywhere else in the store is crazy.
When you vote left, you vote right.
marindem01

Re: Today's Idiot of the Day

Post by marindem01 »

I read about this, a very stupid stunt.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:26 pm I know there are a lot of candidates for Idiot of the Day and people like Marjorie Taylor Greene and Lauren Boebert would be daily candidates but here's the first Idiot of the Day.

A gun store owner thought it would be funny to pull a prank on his employee by replacing a real gun with a BB gun and then pulled it out and shoot it at the employee. Unfortunately, the owner pulled the wrong gun shot the employee with a real, loaded gun. The employee, a father of three, is dead as a result of this prank.

The first question that comes to my mind is why would a gun store owner have a loaded gun among the other guns? I could see where he might have a loaded gun behind the counter or having a concealed weapons permit to carry a gun on his person but having a loaded gun anywhere else in the store is crazy.
Yeah, that was the first question I thought of too.

The suspicion I have is did the gun shop owner set this up to murder that employee and claim it was an accident. I would think the police are considering that angle as well.

:|

What is idle speculation on my part is their day job.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm Yeah, that was the first question I thought of too.

The suspicion I have is did the gun shop owner set this up to murder that employee and claim it was an accident. I would think the police are considering that angle as well.

What is idle speculation on my part is their day job.
I doubt he set this up as an "accident" considering he's facing involuntary manslaughter charges which in South Carolina could mean five years in prison. Also, he'd most likely lose his federal firearms license for the conviction as well as being prohibited, once he's released from prison, from owning or having possession of a firearm. So basically, his livelihood will be gone and he'll be starting over.

Of course, he is an idiot so I could be wrong. Never underestimate an idiot, especially one with a gun.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Lots of idiots out there.

I learned years ago there's no such thing as a "gun-cleaning" accident. There's no way to injure yourself cleaning a gun. I know, I've cleaned a number of guns in my day, including semi and full-auto guns. Helped a friend who did special effects and firearms for movies and TV, and he was a pro. First thing you do is unload the gun and disassemble it.

They started that when cops would commit suicide. Wives couldn't collect insurance if it was suicide, so they came up with that to scam the insurance for them.

But there ARE lots of cases of cops shooting themselves playing with their guns.

I've never been enamored with guns. My buddy liked to have me on a crew, as I treated them like weapons and tools, and never did anything unnecessary. When he pulled me in to do gunfight shows with him, I kept the gun in my holster until time to pull it out, fire it the requisite times needed, and put it back. NEVER played with it. He was always scared when we had gun nuts involved, as they LOVED to play with the guns, which are dangerous even when loaded with blanks.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:06 pm Lots of idiots out there.

I learned years ago there's no such thing as a "gun-cleaning" accident. There's no way to injure yourself cleaning a gun. I know, I've cleaned a number of guns in my day, including semi and full-auto guns. Helped a friend who did special effects and firearms for movies and TV, and he was a pro. First thing you do is unload the gun and disassemble it.

They started that when cops would commit suicide. Wives couldn't collect insurance if it was suicide, so they came up with that to scam the insurance for them.

But there ARE lots of cases of cops shooting themselves playing with their guns.

I've never been enamored with guns. My buddy liked to have me on a crew, as I treated them like weapons and tools, and never did anything unnecessary. When he pulled me in to do gunfight shows with him, I kept the gun in my holster until time to pull it out, fire it the requisite times needed, and put it back. NEVER played with it. He was always scared when we had gun nuts involved, as they LOVED to play with the guns, which are dangerous even when loaded with blanks.
I learned to fire a rifle in the AF on the M16. First day was learning the parts of the rifle, tearing it down, cleaning it, and reassembling it. That was in the morning. In the afternoon, we were taught safety, loading, reloading, aiming, making adjustments with the sights, etc.. The next day, we spent and hour or two reviewing the previous afternoon's lessons before going out to the firing range. Once there, we were instructed to take ammo and go to one of the firing stations. We were closely monitored and we could only load and fire the weapon when the instructor told us to. After live fire, we returned to the classroom, broke the rifle down, cleaned all the part, reassembled it, and had the instructor inspect the rifle before we could leave.

I've fire a .22 rifle and a shotgun for skeet shooting, both once, but I've never been a fan of guns. With the M16, I got the AF Expert Marksmanship medals and re-qualified every time I was required to test. I don't have a problem with people who have a legitimate need for a gun or rifle, like hunters, but IMO most people don't need a gun or rifle.I'm more scared of people who own a gun or rifle for self-protection than I am of a hunter or robber.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:58 pm I doubt he set this up as an "accident" considering he's facing involuntary manslaughter charges which in South Carolina could mean five years in prison. Also, he'd most likely lose his federal firearms license for the conviction as well as being prohibited, once he's released from prison, from owning or having possession of a firearm. So basically, his livelihood will be gone and he'll be starting over.

Of course, he is an idiot so I could be wrong. Never underestimate an idiot, especially one with a gun.
Cops consider motives that might be and then look into the possibility that they might have been. Suppose the employee was trying to blackmail the boss with something that might have caused his imprisonment say for 20 years had it come to light???

:(

Trading 5 years for 20 years, or perhaps even 50 years might have seemed like a good solution to an untenable situation. With a guilty plea and great out-gassing of remorse in front of the judge he might get probation.

That first question both of us saw right away and asked is a hell of a question that is not easy to explain away. The possibility of alternate explanations for what boggles the mind begs for questions.
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm Cops consider motives that might be and then look into the possibility that they might have been. Suppose the employee was trying to blackmail the boss with something that might have caused his imprisonment say for 20 years had it come to light???

Trading 5 years for 20 years, or perhaps even 50 years might have seemed like a good solution to an untenable situation. With a guilty plea and great out gassing of remorse in front of the judge he might get probation.

That first question both of us saw right away and asked is a hell of a question that is not easy to explain away. The possibility of alternate explanations for what boggles the mind begs for questions.
One can dream up all kinds of bullshit when the victim isn't around to testify.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:32 pm Cops consider motives that might be and then look into the possibility that they might have been. Suppose the employee was trying to blackmail the boss with something that might have caused his imprisonment say for 20 years had it come to light???

Trading 5 years for 20 years, or perhaps even 50 years might have seemed like a good solution to an untenable situation. With a guilty plea and great out-gassing of remorse in front of the judge he might get probation.

I seriously doubt it he did it on purpose. Everything would have to break his way perfectly for him to get away with it without going to prison, getting probation, losing his firearms license, etc., not to mention the possibility of a lawsuit against him by his employee's widow.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to ask why he had a loaded gun in his shop.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:34 pm One can dream up all kinds of bullshit when the victim isn't around to testify.
GoUnion if the victim was blackmailing the boss with what was a real serious crime, and the boss killed him to keep him from reveling it to the police, the boss could be charged with 1st degree premeditated murder. They might even consider seeking the death penalty if something like that were the reality.

The victim is dead, looking into possibilities to explain what is on the surface unexplained will not harm the victim further.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:39 pm I seriously doubt it he did it on purpose. Everything would have to break his way perfectly for him to get away with it without going to prison, getting probation, losing his firearms license, etc., not to mention the possibility of a lawsuit against him by his employee's widow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to ask why he had a loaded gun in his shop.
I bet the cops are poking around looking for holes because that explanation the guy has about a joke and a BB gun sucks boulders.

If a bolder has been sucked from the ground it always leaves a hole.
marindem01

Post by marindem01 »

Never under estimate the singular ability of humans to do stupid shit.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:50 pm I bet the cops are poking around looking for holes because that explanation the guy has about a joke and a BB gun sucks boulders.

If a bolder has been sucked from the ground it always leaves a hole.
I heard a song the other day on The Big Bang Theory it was from the point of view of the boulder in Raiders of the lost ark.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:47 pm GoUnion if the victim was blackmailing the boss with what was a real serious crime, and the boss killed him to keep him from reveling it to the police, the boss could be charged with 1st degree premeditated murder. They might even consider seeking the death penalty if something like that were the reality.

The victim is dead, looking into possibilities to explain what is on the surface unexplained will not harm the victim further.
And it could just be a stupid prank that went bad by an idiot.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Number6 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:13 pm And it could just be a stupid prank that went bad by an idiot.
Yes, or it might be something else.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Motor City wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 pm I heard a song the other day on The Big Bang Theory it was from the point of view of the boulder in Raiders of the lost ark.
:lol:

I think I would like to hear that song.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:37 pm :lol:

I think I would like to hear that song.
Its called 6 Tons of Granite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGyFh6QhzKM
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:47 pm GoUnion if the victim was blackmailing the boss with what was a real serious crime, and the boss killed him to keep him from reveling it to the police, the boss could be charged with 1st degree premeditated murder. They might even consider seeking the death penalty if something like that were the reality.

My point is, it seems legally it's better for the shooter if the victim dies, as yours is basically the only side of the story told. Look at what the defense tried to do to demonize Ahmaud Arbery, when he's not around to speak for himself.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:04 am My point is, it seems legally it's better for the shooter if the victim dies, as yours is basically the only side of the story told. Look at what the defense tried to do to demonize Ahmaud Arbery, when he's not around to speak for himself.
I think Sam is practicing on us with his wild theories because secretly he's applying to the be "Idea Man" for QAnon. :lol: