Board Mission Statement and Rules

News and events of the day
sam lefthand

Board Mission Statement and Rules

Post by sam lefthand »

I found the board rules on the Wayback Machine.

:)

Our Mission:

RFL is an enjoyable home for free and in-depth discussion of the news and politics of the day, without influence, affiliation or control by any corporate or media organization. It is a home for those with a liberal slant, and conservatives who wish to respectfully engage in thoughtful discussion and/or debate. Using the electronic message board format, members can develop (or understand) liberal thought and debate and discuss the future of the movement, and forge new philosophies and directions for the liberal movement to rise above current progressive thought into a brighter future.

Although this is a liberal message board, we welcome thoughtful, concerned conservatives, and hope they join us and understand we are all a family of friends, and even though we may disagree, we can have fun together and respect each other. We don't have to see each other as the enemy.

Forum Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them enjoy your stay, otherwise click here.

Disclaimer

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board. You agree that posts consisting of cut and pasted news articles will be deleted, and the poster notified by personal message that this is unacceptable. A general guideline for discussing a news story is to provide a link, your commentary, and NO MORE than 4 quoted paragraphs from the story. Continued violation will have the posters privileges suspended.

Hateful or Abusive Posting:

You agree to not post personal attacks; wishes for death or harm; racism; anti-Semitism; anti-Christian, anti-Muslim or other forms of discrimination on this board. All forms of hateful, discriminatory or abusive speech are prohibited and can result in banishment from this board. Such words create a hostile environment contrary to the purposes of civil discourse and a welcoming public forum environment. Such language will not be tolerated and constitutes grounds for banishment from this board.

Altering Quotations:

The quotation feature of this board is a tool, and not a toy to misrepresent what others have said. You agree not to alter the wording of messages or make it appear as though another guest had said something that they did not. This misrepresentation is a form of abuse and can result in banishment from this board.

Ban Bypass:

You agree that a user who has been banned, is banned. They do not just lose the username; the welcome to participate in this board is gone by any other name as well. A ban bypass attempt will result in further efforts to prevent postings to the board. Banned users may not post anywhere for ANY purposes. To dispute a ban, on can contact one of the administrators of the board through email (plunderer@progressivepirates.com or plunderer.dailylink@gmail.com).

Call Out Threads:

You understand and agree that this board is for civil discussions, not brawling and flaming (insulting or inciting) other guests. Uncivil language is a form of abuse and this board does not allow abuse of guests. Starting a topic for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed. You agree that such posting can result in actions such as deleting the topic, locking the topic, and banishment from the board.

Contempt of Host:

You understand and agree that abuse or uncivil language toward the hosts is not allowed. The Owners and Admins of RadioFreeLiberal.com graciously host and support this board financially. Therefore, personal attacks against the hosts or administrators of this site are not permitted any more than people would tolerate themselves or their family being called names by a guest in their own home. Guests who do such things often find their welcome withdrawn. Criticism without getting personal is well within bounds, but personal attacks are not.

Sock-Puppets:

You agree that, as a member, you are allowed to have (and will only have) one account, as the rules of this board allow only one account per person. Multiple accounts are not allowed under any circumstances. Multiple accounts can be used for puppeteering (posting as another user to bolster your own argument with a straw man ally), for holding an account in reserve to commit a ban bypass, or for playing "good cop bad cop" style of debating and seemingly "ganging up" on other posters. You understand and agree that multiple accounts are not allowed and will be deleted upon detection.

Trolling:

A troll is a person that never offers anything of value or substance to the board. The troll has no intention of taking part in discussions, only to try and ruin them for others. Trolls may be banned within the sole discretion of the board. For more information on trolls, please visit the following sites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Guidance for Use of the Board:

As above, you agree to refrain from personal attacks. Such conduct degrades the debate and cheapens the board. It is perfectly acceptable to say an IDEA is stupid. It is NOT acceptable to say a person is stupid. Attack and argue the ideas, not the speaker. You don't have to call someone an idiot, just refute his or her argument. If their argument(s) are without merit, the readers of the board will figure out for themselves whether the person should be deemed an idiot or not.

We very much want opposing opinions expressed. Debating sharpens your argument and reveals your opponents’ weaknesses as well as his or her strengths. Who knows, minds may even be changed – that is the point of free speech and debate. Bottom line: we are looking for intelligent, thoughtful (but at a minimum civil) debate with wit (if you have it) facts and reasoning to back up your position(s).

Please do not always use CAP LOCK. It can be annoying. Once in a while is acceptable – use your discretion and good judgment - but please not for an entire post. Please also use discretion with fonts.

The administrator reserves the right to put additional rules as their discretion.

One Last Thing:

We make every effort to minimize disruptive or abusive activity. We have a ZERO TOLERENCE policy for posters who want to disrupt and badger other posters. If you believe someone is being disruptive or abusive, please notify the administrator by personal message.

You agree that the board administrators will determine, in their sole discretion, if activity on the board requires further actions, including, but not limited to:
1) Removal of the offending post(s);
2) Suspension of a member for a designated period of time, in the sole discretion of the board administrators;
3) Permanent removal of the member to post and;
4) The final option of notifying the past member's Internet Provider.

All decisions of the moderator(s) are FINAL.
sam lefthand

Re: Board Mission Statement and Rules

Post by sam lefthand »

I also grabbed the banner url while I was there:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151029223 ... O3_SML.jpg

Ted

Post by Ted »

The Wayback Machine is amazing.

If you don't know what it is then you should take a few minutes and check it out.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

Ted wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm The Wayback Machine is amazing.

If you don't know what it is then you should take a few minutes and check it out.
It really is Ted, I don't know why some threads are readable there and others are not, but where it will go is pretty cool.

When you posted I was there making a third salvage haul, It was right there so I hooked Captain Hook's scurvy avatar before some other pirate made off with it.

I'd miss it if Plunderer stopped by and he didn't have his avatar:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160407181 ... 459711.jpg

I'm going go back and see if I can find My old avatar and if can I'll grab Bernie the Union Guy's as well.

I would snag your's for you Ted but I love the one you have now.

It's awesome.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

The wayback machine isn't fair about which avatars are saved and which ones it missed. It saved multiple avatars for some people and none for others.

I looked at all of them and the ones I recognized or had been saved during the last two years I have here.

Some of them are memories of people who it doesn't appear will return.

:(

I grabbed all cat and all dogs unless I have noticed that the person with the cat has already saved their cat. There might be a duplication, when in doubt I saved all cats.

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Ted wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm The Wayback Machine is amazing.

I interned at the Internet Archive. One of my favorite sites on the entire internet.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

> Board Mission Statement and Rules

Odd reading that once again. It reads like an old City Charter that is in need of updating.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

bradman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:12 pm > Board Mission Statement and Rules

Odd reading that once again. It reads like an old City Charter that is in need of updating.
In no particular order......

Call Out Threads:

You understand and agree that this board is for civil discussions, not brawling and flaming (insulting or inciting) other guests. Uncivil language is a form of abuse and this board does not allow abuse of guests. Starting a topic for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed. You agree that such posting can result in actions such as deleting the topic, locking the topic, and banishment from the board.

Change the word "guests" to "members."

Starting a topic for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed.

Topic? Why only a topic? Why not all replies? "Replying for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed"?
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 am In no particular order......

Call Out Threads:

Starting a topic for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed.

Topic? Why only a topic? Why not all replies? "Replying for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed"?
I realize you and Sam want to netcop other posters here, but it's not going to happen. Let's deal with reality: There is no moderator. Plunderer has no time or interest. I'm sure as hell not going to do it. And he's not going to appoint anyone else.

Sam especially does everything he demands others not do.

So our sandbox is what it is. I realize Sam wants to run the board, and tell others what to do. He's ran members off this board before with his bullshit, so he's not going to be in charge. Got it? Tell you what - why don't the two of you start your own board and make and enforce your own rules?

Of course, it might be lonely.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 am In no particular order......

Call Out Threads:

Nice thought Brad. But if everyone agreed to be honest and civil, some folks would not be able to post at all.

It will never happen. Those rules have been around since the board started and were routinely ignored. You can change the wording and the same people who ignored the original rules will just ignore these as well.
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 am Nice thought Brad. But if everyone agreed to be honest and civil, some folks would not be able to post at all.

It will never happen. Those rules have been around since the board started and were routinely ignored. You can change the wording and the same people who ignored the original rules will just ignore these as well.
At the very least, it can't be said i didn't try.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 am At the very least, it can't be said i didn't try.
Yes, I realize you two want to rule this board with a iron fist, doing what YOU want, but having a gag order on everyone else.

Can't say the book burners don't try either, right?
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Just a simple operational question.

There is a report button. I once had to use it, reluctantly.

What happens now if you hit it? The board has no moderator. Believe me I understand Plunderer's position; I was offered the "opportunity" to do it at RRMB and turned it down. Heck, enough people were calling me a "fascist" for daring to point out they were wrong in 9/11 threads. Imagine if I started shutting them down. :| This means we could update the rules, but then it seems no one can or will enforce them.

I guess we can keep observing who we think is violating them, but other than that?
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 am Just a simple operational question.

There is a report button. I once had to use it, reluctantly.

What happens now if you hit it? The board has no moderator. Believe me I understand Plunderer's position; I was offered the "opportunity" to do it at RRMB and turned it down. Heck, enough people were calling me a "fascist" for daring to point out they were wrong in 9/11 threads. Imagine if I started shutting them down. :| This means we could update the rules, but then it seems no one can or will enforce them.

I guess we can keep observing who we think is violating them, but other than that?
Nothing will happen. Plunderer and I will be notified. There has been one, nothing has been nor will be done. I sure as hell won't do anything - I said at the beginning all I was doing was keeping the lights on. Plunderer let some folks back on a while ago (Glenn returned, and I was talked into coming back), and to me, the board is what it is. The board hasn't been moderated for a long time. It's a messy sandbox, but life is messy. The world is messy. As I see it, we're adults, and we can deal with it.

One caveat - If anything illegal happens, I will notify Plunderer immediately, and we WILL handle it. I do not foresee that. Our sandbox is at an equilibrium. It is what it is.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:25 amTopic? Why only a topic? Why not all replies? "Replying for the purposes of picking a fight with another guest is not allowed"?
JoeMemphis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 am Nice thought Brad. But if everyone agreed to be honest and civil, some folks would not be able to post at all.
Both of you jokers either sit around or actively encourage incivility when it suits you, because you use so-called civility like a baseball bat.

Neither of you have the integrity to state plainly who and what you’re whining about, either.

Ike Bana tore up this board for over a year With egging on from bradman, and silence from Sam Lefthand and another regular from that crew who is not in this thread. None of you clowns have any interest in civility unless it’s as a lasso. Try being honest about that.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Let's just remember, Joe, that you willfully and often lied about me on this board. You should own that, and realize that you are as guilty as anyone else of breaking the rules of the board. Get off your high horse. You aren't honest and civil at all.

All y'all want to control what others say, but not what YOU say.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:23 am Let's just remember, Joe, that you willfully and often lied about me on this board. You should own that, and realize that you are as guilty as anyone else of breaking the rules of the board. Get off your high horse. You aren't honest and civil at all.

All y'all want to control what others say, but not what YOU say.
+++++

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Drak »

This board is pretty laid back. That's not a bad thing. People complaining about the old rules do their share of breaking the old rules, too. So give up the BS.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Drak wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm This board is pretty laid back. That's not a bad thing. People complaining about the old rules do their share of breaking the old rules, too. So give up the BS.
Petty little old men sitting around pining for the days of yore and complaining about the kids on their lawn. That's all this is. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:16 pm Petty little old men sitting around pining for the days of yore and complaining about the kids on their lawn. That's all this is. :problem:
Well, them damned kids won't stay off it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

OK kids. So we are a self-regulating system. We should all try and regulate our own behavior. I understand our Founders said this democracy thing would never work unless Americans could, well, self-govern/govern themselves.

Zowie has often asked if that experiment has finally failed and imploded. Maybe not, maybe we're holding on to the dying embers. :mrgreen:

BTW, that experiment IMHO requires focusing more on controlling your own, and less on telling others how to control theirs.

That is directed at everyone and no one. A certain Ikean said I was horrifically Swiss in my attitude. Well, I don't believe in neutrality. One reason I too refuse to moderate. :D

Civility is a reasonable goal, but we appear not to all agree on what it means. Alas, the vagaries of dealing with humans. It's reasonable to ask others to be civil - but maybe not to impose a definition of civility.

Oh and one more thing - seriously, I've said this for years - just because I respond TO you doesn't mean everything I say is ABOUT you. Really.

As the great Bill & Ted said on their Excellent Adventure, "be excellent to yourselves, and each other".

Nuff said.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I think what I meant is that the experiment HAS had its implosions, but the underlying theory is still under test and we still aren't ready to write up the conclusions. I would consider the drumpf debacle to be an implosion, and it continues, but I don't see proof that the United States cannot govern itself.

What I have offered is my idea of proof that Los Angeles is ungovernable, and perhaps California is as well.

I'm as sure as I can be on anything, which is far from 100%, that **LA** lacks the means by which it can govern itself effectively. I have seen almost no evidence over many years that would cause me to change that view. The city council needs to be way, way larger and the districts way smaller. That's not even on the would be nice list. Never happen.

I'm less sure on California, where the major problem right now is the abuse of self-government by corporations that weaponize its inadequate number of voter signatures to qualify various types of ballot measures. These processes, the initiative and referendum, were put in place to fight the robber-baron excesses that were imposing a monopolistic kleptocracy upon the state, and the irony is that now initiative and referendum are essentially corporate tools. Raising the percentage of voters needed to qualify ballot measures would solve the problem, which is why there's so much pressure by the offenders not to do that. I'll rate California self-government as endangered and await future movement on this subject.

A similar situation exists with Internet disinformation ops and their effect on the national elections, but we have insufficient data to say whether it's a fundamental flaw to be corrected with legislation, or a problem of slow adaptation, again brought on by the effectiveness of modern communications. I won't even guess at this point.

None of this is beyond repair, but the political will to make the repairs has yet to mobilize in anything even close to effective levels.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

Here's how I feel: For years, liberals always tried to be "nice". Going by the "golden rule". We've always tried to do the right thing. We've tried to treat the other side with dignity and respect.

The only problem is, it takes BOTH sides to have peace. It only takes one side to make war. And the right has NEVER been interested in any peace at all. And the right would always make fun of the left for being pushovers.

In answer to my friend Prof, if someone wants to be excellent to me, I'll excellent right back. But I won't lead with my chin. ;)

In 2003, at a book expo, Bill O'Reily and Al Franken appeared, hawking books that they were releasing, and they appeared on stage together. On the video of it, available here, BillO demands Al to shut up - and Al tells BillO "You can't shut me up, Bill. This isn't your show. We've taken it and taken it and we're not going to take it any more".

This affected me profoundly. And I'm with Franken - this is what conservatives on these message boards WANT - for liberals to be meek and mild and always be nice - because conservatives have no interest in being nice. It's a knife fight (figuratively of course) to them - and if it's a knife fight they want, I'm all in. They demand we play fair, because they have absolutely no intention of playing fair.

So I meet them head-on. If they want to play fair and discuss rationally and without playing games, I can do that and have done that. But if they want to play bullshit games, I call them on it and give as good as I get.

Of course, I don't demand all liberals fight as I do. Two of the people I have a lot of respect for, Zowie and ProfX, don't engage as I do, and they are effective in the mix here. They give a lot to the debate.

But the most toxic person ever on this board was Ike Bana, so very toxic who was nothing but a bully who went after anyone he could. And Brad, you and Sam were among his biggest supporters. So I call bullshit.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:16 pm But the most toxic person ever on this board was Ike Bana, so very toxic who was nothing but a bully who went after anyone he could. And Brad, you and Sam were among his biggest supporters. So I call bullshit.
:shock: :o :?

What a bunch of nutty, I never got along with Ike.
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:05 pm :shock: :o :?

What a bunch of nutty, I never got along with Ike.
:lol: :lol: :lol

Go ahead, go with that. Just further destroys any credibility you ever had, which you no longer have.