Hawkeye

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ProfX

Hawkeye

Post by ProfX »

What? I'm gonna have to start this thread? :lol:

Look, the MCU TV series tend to vary between the more grounded (Falc) and the more cosmic (Loki). This one is back to the more grounded kind. Seems like Clint is dealing with his past as Ronin. Kate Bishop has gotten entangled with that past, even if unintentionally. It's clear he's still haunted with guilt over Natasha. As well as what he did as Ronin. The thing is, he knows, but it seems no one else ever figured out who Ronin really was. BTW, one of his enemies is Kingpin's daughter, so there's some question as to whether that will bring in that character. He hasn't run into Yelena yet ... but we all know he will. It's just cool to see Clint taking on the Tracksuit Mafia instead of gods n monsters. Also, Kate seems well combat trained for a young lady, she's so clearly a Hawkeye fangirl, but makes all the mistakes a green super heroine would. I dig that.

OK, I'll mention two other shows.

Let's move over to the DCverse. It's shocking to me Batwoman and Legends of Tomorrow are still running. Those shows so jumped the shark a long time ago, and it's getting worse. Supergirl ended on a strange note - Cat Grant came back to take over Catco and make Kara editor-in-chief, of course still can't call Kara by the right name even if she knows she is Supergirl, tells her to reveal her identity to the world, she does .... roll credits. No she doesn't finally hook up with Mon-El or go to the future with the Legion. The Flash is doing a minor quasi-crossover (Armageddon) where he appears to be going insane, or is he? He doesn't seem to know a key char died, but everybody else does. He's randomly going on rampages. "Despero" tells him he will soon destroy the world. WTH is going on? Alternative timeline or reality? Anyway, looks like they've brought back Black Lightning to help him out. They are a natural team.

I'm digging Doctor Who: Flux. I believe Jodie has said this will be her swan song, she's taking the regeneration after this. It's going to be six episodes in all, but they are all part of one story arc, not isolated stories. The Flux is consuming the universe. But what is it and why does it exist? The TARDIS is also starting to ... decompose? Time is clearly messed up, now the Crimean War seems to involve the Sontarans as the enemy. It seems to me like she sorta dropped the Timeless Child story which begged to be picked up, but ... have they? It had something to do with her being part of "Division" (some kind of secret cosmic spy org) and having incarnations (namely, one being Jo Martin) she doesn't remember. Anyway, maybe this season will end up dealing with some of that. Cliffhanger: last episode I saw, she got turned into a Weeping Angel. Are we about to get the answer as to where they come from?
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Re: Hawkeye

Post by Libertas »

Recording all of Dr Who again, but I only got into it last year and haven't had time to watch this year.
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

This may be the last you see of Jodie Whitaker.

I see they are continuing this trend of teaming her up with famous historical figures as short-term sidekicks.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

When I clicked on the thread I thought it was going to be about making homemade gin in an Army tent.

When it turned out that wasn't what it's about I looked up the show at Wikipedia and they say the premise is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkeye_(2021_TV_series)

"Clint Barton must partner with Kate Bishop to confront enemies from his past as Ronin in order to get back to his family in time for Christmas"

:shock:

"In time for Christmas." Then I noticed it's made by Disney.

So I Googled "Disney: in time for Christmas" and got quite a robust array of hits to all sorts of stuff. Too much stuff to process actually. Disney goes to the "in time for Christmas" well quite frequently. So frequently that I wonder if "in time for Christmas" isn't one of the 12 standard plots Shakespeare talked about.

So to find out if it is one of the 12 standard plots I Googled BOOKS for: "Disney: in time for Christmas." On the 82nd page of hits it finally Peter Panned out.

"Disney: In time for Christmas" is one of the 12 standard plots.

:o
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 am When I clicked on the thread I thought it was going to be about making homemade gin in an Army tent.

When it turned out that wasn't what it's about I looked up the show at Wikipedia and they say the premise is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawkeye_(2021_TV_series)

"Clint Barton must partner with Kate Bishop to confront enemies from his past as Ronin in order to get back to his family in time for Christmas"

:shock:

"In time for Christmas." Then I noticed it's made by Disney.

So I Googled "Disney: in time for Christmas" and got quite a robust array of hits to all sorts of stuff. Too much stuff to process actually. Disney goes to the "in time for Christmas" well quite frequently. So frequently that I wonder if "in time for Christmas" isn't one of the 12 standard plots Shakespeare talked about.

So to find out if it is one of the 12 standard plots I Googled BOOKS for: "Disney: in time for Christmas." On the 82nd page of hits it finally Peter Panned out.

"Disney: In time for Christmas" is one of the 12 standard plots.

:o
If you don’t like Disney or Marvel, go elsewhere please. Don’t start trolling these threads too. These threads are for the fans, not the trolls.
Drak

Post by Drak »

I gotta catch up and start watching this. Lots on our plates to watch but hopefully we can start Hawkeye this week. My son kidnapped us into binging a horror show on Prime called Channel Zero. Between that I was viewing the Get Back Doc. Hawkeye is next.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm I gotta catch up and start watching this. Lots on our plates to watch but hopefully we can start Hawkeye this week. My son kidnapped us into binging a horror show on Prime called Channel Zero. Between that I was viewing the Get Back Doc. Hawkeye is next.
We’ve been out of town, we’re sitting down to watch the first two episodes right now!
Drak

Post by Drak »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:37 pm We’ve been out of town, we’re sitting down to watch the first two episodes right now!
Nice! Hopefully I’ll catch ep 1 tonight.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:24 pm If you don’t like Disney or Marvel, go elsewhere please. Don’t start trolling these threads too. These threads are for the fans, not the trolls.
Troll, the banner says, "RadioFreeLiberal.com Smart Voices...Be Heard..."

:|

It doesn't say "...unless you want to do some literary criticism."
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Is that what that was called? :roll: Free association, I'd call it.

When people are talking about popular culture I've never watched or heard of ... I tend, unless I'm interested, to simply not participate. There are lots of things I've never seen and could go look up in google, too. I just don't feel a need to point it out. Should I care you don't know who one of the Avengers characters is? I guess this must be a "jester" thing. Just not particularly funny. "Hey everybody, I don't know what something is, but I can use Google!" :roll:

Yeah, the show is coming out around the Xmas holidays, and so has a lot of holiday themes going on in it. Like, I dunno, most shows around this time of year. Oh, Happy Hanukah, BTW.

I guess this had been moved from Entertainment, I'm not sure it's really a Politics topic, but eh.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm Is that what that was called? :roll: Free association, I'd call it.

I guess this had been moved from Entertainment, I'm not sure it's really a Politics topic, but eh.
X, I wasn't complaining about what folder it's in, in fact I wasn't complaining about it at all, criticism doesn't necessarily imply complaint.

It didn't bother me that the thread turned out to not be about gin making in an Army tent. I didn't say I hate it.

I noticed and noted that the plot is about being "in time for Christmas", which apparently is a major mainstay of what Disney does, hundreds of their shows and specials are about being "in time for Christmas." I have no idea why.

That's what's remarkable about it, so I remarked on it.

:)

Wikipedia has a nice page on Criticism:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism
Criticism is an evaluative or corrective exercise that can be applied to any area of human life. Criticism can therefore take many different forms (see below). How people go about criticizing can vary a great deal. In specific areas of human endeavour, the form of criticism can be highly specialized and technical; it often requires professional knowledge to appreciate the criticism. For subject-specific information, see the Varieties of criticism page.

To criticize does not necessarily imply "to find fault", but the word is often taken to mean the simple expression of an object against prejudice, no matter positive or negative. Often criticism involves active disagreement, but it may only mean "taking sides". Constructive criticism will often involve an exploration of the different sides of an issue.

Criticism is often presented as something with negative connotation, but there are friendly criticisms, amicably discussed, and potential for significant human growth after one receives criticism ("keeping people sharp", "providing the critical edge"). The Pulitzer Prize for Criticism has been presented since 1970 to a newspaper writer who has demonstrated 'distinguished criticism'.

When criticism involves a dialogue of some kind, direct or indirect, it is an intrinsically social activity.

Criticism is also the study, evaluation, and interpretation of literature, artwork, film, and social trends (see the article links below). The goal is to understand the possible meanings of cultural phenomena, and the context in which they take shape. In so doing, it is often evaluated how cultural productions relate to other cultural productions, and what their place is within a particular genre, or a particular cultural tradition.
With regard to that last I met that bar, I certainly remarked upon it's possible meanings insofar as cultural phenomena, that's what Christmas is all about, being a cultural phenomena.

Look at the image that Wikipedia criticism page has, it's even like what one would expect to see in a comic book:

I think I would call that comic book super hero character Flying Elephant Mosquito Man. Batman move over.

:lol:

To show you that I'm not complaining about Hawkeye I will show you a movie that is not by Disney, but it is about being "in time for Christmas" which I liked a lot. It's also in and of itself a criticism of it's own plot, so I don't need to criticize it. Terry Pratchett often criticizes his own works in the pages of his own works, it's kind of his signature thing he did.

:)

It's a long good movie, in three parts. Here are the links for Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. It's called Hogfather. Hogfather is about Santa being "in time for Christmas." The Hogfather looks like Santa except he has a hog snout and tusks, and he's played by the dark flesh-less actor Death.

It's a super hero, super villain comic book kind of thing like Hawkeye is except this one can be watched now and for free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoWifSyA9NQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp6aDJ6fdxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMh6DM95p8Y
gounion

Post by gounion »

sam lefthand wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:52 pm Troll, the banner says, "RadioFreeLiberal.com Smart Voices...Be Heard..."

:|

It doesn't say "...unless you want to do some literary criticism."
Fucking Troll. I don't care what you do to other areas, but take your shit away from the MCU stuff. It's for fans to discuss, not for you to troll. Idiot.
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

gounion wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:18 pm Fucking Troll. I don't care what you do to other areas, but take your shit away from the MCU stuff. It's for fans to discuss, not for you to troll. Idiot.
:ignore:
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Back to the topic of the actual show, I suspect Kingpin may show up in the series, which could be their gradual effort to bring Daredevil into the "main" arc of the MCU. (He usually tangles with both him and Spidey as well as Punisher.)

There's a photo that pretty much confirms Matt Murdock/Daredevil (as played by Charlie Cox on the Netflix show) will be Peter's lawyer. Though he won't ever suit up in the film. But that's them bringing him into the MCU.

As I said, it's just a question of when Yelena will show ... I'm thinking pretty soon.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:31 pm Back to the topic of the actual show, I suspect Kingpin may show up in the series, which could be their gradual effort to bring Daredevil into the "main" arc of the MCU. (He usually tangles with both him and Spidey as well as Punisher.)

There's a photo that pretty much confirms Matt Murdock/Daredevil (as played by Charlie Cox on the Netflix show) will be Peter's lawyer. Though he won't ever suit up in the film. But that's them bringing him into the MCU.

As I said, it's just a question of when Yelena will show ... I'm thinking pretty soon.
They are saying that Yelana won't show until the last episode or so. Looking forward to Spider Man too!

Most of the first two episodes are setup - I can see why they released them at the same time. Love the Kate Bishop character.
gounion

Post by gounion »

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE THREE!

Had a lot of fun this episode! Loved the Pym arrow! The action sequence was great, and Hailee Steinfeld is a great action actress! The interaction between her and Clint was great!

And the tracksuit mafia are hilarious!

Also the introduction of Echo! How's this going to go?

Three episodes down, three to go! Shit's got to get real from here on in!
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

My overwheliming favorite parts so far are the "Rogers" Broadway parody, which really dunked on Broadway. And the opening and closing titles, holy crap those are beautiful!

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:03 am My overwheliming favorite parts so far are the "Rogers" Broadway parody, which really dunked on Broadway. And the opening and closing titles, holy crap those are beautiful!
Yes, I'm reading the Hawkeye comics those graphics are taken from now.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:58 am Yes, I'm reading the Hawkeye comics those graphics are taken from now.
Ah, I did not know that. The titles to me are very Saul Bass and I am like in love with Saul Bass titles.

Ex: :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0OkcWIeg40

Carmen Jones (1954) isn't the best example of why the Hawkeye titles remind me of Saul Bass. But he was so amazing at taking a very simple image and making it convey an entire movie or company.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:00 am Ah, I did not know that. The titles to me are very Saul Bass and I am like in love with Saul Bass titles.

Ex: :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0OkcWIeg40

Carmen Jones (1954) isn't the best example of why the Hawkeye titles remind me of Saul Bass. But he was so amazing at taking a very simple image and making it convey an entire movie or company.
Yeah, here's the beginning of the series. Very LIGHTLY based upon this - major changes, but some similar. I think this is what started the Kate Bishop stuff.

ProfX

Post by ProfX »

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 5: **YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**

Yelena has mac and cheese with Kate Bishop. And. (BTW, we finally get to see what happened to Yelena during the Blip. Yes, she got blipped.)

Last Chance Spoilers Warning!

C'mon, the big reveal. Echo's "Uncle" is Kingpin: Large, in Charge, and IS Vincent D'Onofrio.

This has huge ramifications: if Charlie Cox (the Netflix Daredevil) and Vince D'Onofrio are coming to the MCU, this means: the Netflix shows are canon, and some of the characters are definitely coming to the MCU. In fact, it's likely both Kingpin and Daredevil will be in the Echo series, as well as some other supporting cast from the Netflix show.

I have to say my favorite Netflix show was the Defenders series where they brought Daredevil together with some of the others (Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones). This means the Netflix characters could be on their way to the MCU. In particular, I wonder if two people whose paths will cross soon are Iron Fist and Shang-Chi.

If they keep the same actor from Iron Fist as Danny Rand ... well I guess I can live with it. :D

Jessica Jones has a lot of fans ... she's the superhero without the superhero name ... I just love her attitude and her hard drinking nature. There's this great scene where all the Defenders are on a subway train and she starts slugging down a 40oz. They all look at her. And she's like, "What? It's been a tough week."

It also would be cool to see more of Luke Cage.
gounion

Post by gounion »

DISCUSSING EPISODE 5 SPOILERS

Loved the scene with Kate and Yelana. Yelena is so damned funny. She's hilarious! And then at the end - "don't get in my way again".

But I think they're going to end up friends - if not in episode 6, then down the road.

I hope there's a season 2 - "Hawkeye Kate Bishop".
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I think Yelena will realize she was lied to about Clint being responsible for Natasha's death. I don't know if she'll forgive Clint. We'll see how the finale plays out.

But yes, I think the "next" Hawkeye (Kate) and the "next" Black Widow (Yelena) will be friends. Perhaps ... teammates. But we'll see.
gounion

Post by gounion »

ProfX wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:14 pm I think Yelena will realize she was lied to about Clint being responsible for Natasha's death. I don't know if she'll forgive Clint. We'll see how the finale plays out.

But yes, I think the "next" Hawkeye (Kate) and the "next" Black Widow (Yelena) will be friends. Perhaps ... teammates. But we'll see.
I like both characters - A LOT.

There's a different vibe with the non-super heroes - who have nothing but their physical and mental skills aided by some cool tech.

But then, that's all Iron Man was, too, with his suits. He didn't have the physical prowess the others did, but had the super-tech from his mind.
gounion

Post by gounion »

WARNING! SERIES FINAL EPISODE SPOILERS!

So, the series final episode spoilers did not disappoint!

Clint made it home for Christmas! Along with his guests, Kate and Pizza Dog!

The one-hour finale was an action-packed blast. It's hard to know where to begin.

I never watched nor do I know anything about the comics Daredevil or Kingpin, so it wasn't a big deal to me. But Kate's mom was the bad guy and is going to prison. But then, I guess she's a super villain in the comics, right? I'm sure ProfX will provide us with the scorecard and roadmap if need be, because he DOES know what all goes in in the comix.

I didn't know how they were going to tie it all up, but they did! The scenes with Yelena and Kate were fantastic, you can tell they really like each other even as they fight across a building. And Kate is no slouch at fighting, though it's obvious that Yelena was holding back as she didn't want to hurt her bud.

I do so hope they team up in the future.

The action was great, the arrows were great, and the owl in the tree was a great bit. I guess there WAS an owl in the Rockefeller Center tree, and books were written.

Kate is a quick-thinking and kick-ass hero! She does short work of the tracksuit guys. But, that's what they're there for, right?

And the bit with the Pym arrow is hilarious! Kate shoots the truck with a Pym arrow, and they become a matchbox toy, with the guys inside. Kate says "what now?" and Clint says "I dunno, I'll have to ask Scott! (Ant Man Scott Lang)" Then the aforementioned owl swoops down and takes the truck away. Snack time!

Problem solved.

And of course, after getting her ass kicked by Kingpin, Kate uses the coin flip trick she learned from Clint to blow his ass up. But I guess Kingpin is suddenly super-powered?

And I don't really give a shit about Kate's mom. She didn't do it all for Kate. She did it for herself.

And suddenly her Mom's boyfriend is a good guy, and yet ANOTHER hero... Maybe he'll give Kate some pointers with a sword!

And did Maya kill Kingpin? We'll see. But she's set to be a hero too with her own show, Echo, some point in the future.

And Kate would have been alone for Christmas, it was nice that he brought Kate home. He couldn't have done anything else.

The bit about female Hawkeye names was funny too.

So, what's next for the Disney+ series?

They are advertising for the Ms. Marvel Disney+ series, but that's not supposed to be out before mid-2022. Lessee, there's Moon Knight (6 episodes), they're teasing She-Hulk (10 episodes) and Secret Invasion (6 episodes), all supposed to be out in 2022. Oh, and the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special in November or December 2022.

We have Spider man out now, but Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness is slated for May 6, Thor Love and Thunder July 9, And Wakanda Forever closing out the year on November 11.

The next few Disney+ series on the list after that is Ironheart and Armor Wars, and then an untitled Wakanda series. Ironheart surely won't be out until after Wakanda Forever, as Riri Williams is supposed to premiere in that movie.

The Armor Wars series sounds great too, maybe Captain America and Bucky can show up in that to help Rhody out.

Ironheart will probably be out after Wakanda Forever, as the lead character, Riri Williams is set to debut in that movie.

They need to start churning out the series! It's waay too much fun, I've loved every series except for What If...