Its Technical

News and events of the day
Motor City

Its Technical

Post by Motor City »

Thread for Tech mysteries, workings, ect.

Exploding glass oven doors
Consumers left puzzled, worried by seemingly random events of glass oven doors bursting

More than 700 similar reports
Since we learned how this problem is affecting many different brands and consumers across the country, I contacted the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to see what they could tell me about this problem.

The CPSC sent us this statement:

“From 2015 to 2018, CPSC received over 700 reports of oven doors shattering or ‘exploding.’ No severe injuries (beyond stitches) were reported. While CPSC has not issued recalls or warnings on shattering oven doors in recent years, we do take all incidents involving shattering glass seriously. There are standards in place for consumer products that use glass which should lead to the glass breaking into nuggets and not shards, if the product shatters.”
There is no clear answer to what is causing this problem. We turned to Jason Haraldsen who is an associate professor of physics at the University of North Florida.

“People would immediately say, ‘This has to be happening because I’m heating it up,’ but if it was the heat, it would be happening more often,” said Haraldsen. “It would be a much more significant problem if it was just the heat, so then the question is what is the problem?”

Haraldsen has not tested any of these ovens. He said the glass in an oven is tempered glass which makes it stronger and able to handle more heat. However, according to Haraldsen, “it can be broken much easier if it gets a microfracture.”

“If it gets a crack in it, it will shatter,” he said. “We also like it because if it shatters it will literally shatter into a million pieces as opposed to the shards of glass you would see from a window or something like that.”

Harladson also explained what can happen if there is a microfracture and higher temperatures in your oven like the self-cleaning mode.

“Now all the molecules are getting really agitated by the heat and that can make the microfracture expand to a legitimate crack in the glass, and once that happens then the tempered glass just shatters,” he said........
Maybe staffing issues with the tempering process or untrained short staffed unrealistic expectations on how much work and stress and lack of rest and free time of the staff. or even a change in process to save money or get by without needed staff.

If its micro crack it seems like it would each time it was heated and cooled down aggravate the condition with the slight amount of expansion and contraction and that could be made worse if the tempering process was off or the testing was mis calibrated.
sam lefthand

Re: Its Technical

Post by sam lefthand »

It's not just oven doors Motor City, it's all tempered glass doors including business and automobile door windows.

A few of them shatter into thousands of easy to sweep up pieces. I have never heard of anyone getting cut or injured in any way because of it.

In a grocery store there are all those tempered glass reach in cooler and freezer doors, about one in a thousand shatters in the first year, no one knows why. A few more get broken because someone hits the glass real hard with something. The dealers keep a few spare doors in stock for those midnight moments.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

TikTok overtook Google as the most visited website in 2021

There’s a new reigning champion of the internet. TikTok was the most popular web address in the world in 2021, according to cloud services company Cloudflare.

The social video app overtook Google and all of its properties for the first time in Cloudflare’s annual rankings. (Cloudflare’s press release did not specify whether TikTok’s traffic includes that of Douyin, its sister app in China.) TikTok was ranked seventh in 2020 behind Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Apple, Netflix, and Amazon, but jumped to the top amid what might be considered a covid-driven surge in popularity.

https://qz.com/2105400/tiktok-overtook- ... e-in-2021/
ap215

Post by ap215 »

YouTubers Can Finally Monetize Content Featuring Gender-Affirming Products

If you read enough stories about the nuts and bolts of ad revenue, you’ll notice this weird incongruity that crops up again and again. On one hand, online ads are a crucial (albeit annoying AF) piece of internet architecture; the hundreds of billions of dollars in digital ad spend getting poured into the internet each year is the financial fuel that keeps your favorite streamers, retailers, and news outlets in business. But this financial fuel gets doled out by countless tiny intermediaries, each with their own arbitrary automated systems for deciding how many dollars get doled out where.

The result, usually, is that some of these dollars don’t get doled out at all, and the ones that do are more likely to wind up funding hate speech than a site focused on, say, LGBTQ+ issues.

https://gizmodo.com/youtubers-can-final ... 1848263690
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Right now the Internet seems to be functioning rather badly. If it's the new brain of Western civilization, well, it's damaged. Could be pre-holiday volume, could be the jlog4 vulnerability, could just be bad luck. It's not LA rain, because that causes a different sort of failures. DNS lookups and routings work fine, but the target sites work badly or crash. Some give invalid function call errors, which raise a red flag for experts, since they can indicate that malicious actors have left damage after trying to escalate privileges and modify the site's code.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
sam lefthand

Post by sam lefthand »

ZoWie I generally have the kind of internet connection that results in that the Internet does not work very well for me, mostly slow, slow, slow, all the the danged time.

:)

For me it being Christmas seems to have slowed the activities of others such that burden being lifted from the usual has advantageously affected my connection speed such that the end result has been the Internet is working better for me than is the usual case.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Some ‘Anti-5G’ Products Are Dangerously Radioactive, Scientists Say
https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacharysmi ... 1739aa614c

Dutch authorities have warned that an array of necklaces, sleep masks and children’s bracelets that are being sold with the claim that they protect against supposed harmful effects of 5G cell networks are themselves dangerously radioactive.

[snip]

The Dutch Authority for Nuclear Safety and Radiation Protection (ANVS) issued product alerts for a pendant, a sleep mask, two necklaces and five different bracelets including one for children.

Brands affected by the alerts include Energy Armor and Magnetix Wellness.
Though these products may be only slightly radioactive, wearing them continuously for a long time could cause tissue and DNA damage, scientists warned.

Scientists did not rule out the possibility that other products were radioactive, and advised consumers to store away items claimed to have a “negative ion effect.”
Nonetheless, several of the items identified as potentially dangerous remain up for sale on sites like Shopify and Amazon.

[snip][end]
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Its the equivilant to "we use to walk to school 9 miles one way in the snow with 1 shoe to get to school" when it comes to old timers music in the car compared to what there is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4AqLKN2p2o
Today we take for granted we can listen to our favorite music in our cars, SUVs, and trucks. This wasn't always the case, for many years drivers and car occupants were forced to listen to a local radio station. This all changed starting in the 1960s with the introduction of the car 8-track player. This is the story of how the car 8-Track player forever changed music listening in our cars, SUVs, and trucks.
started with the 4 track stereo pack by Muntz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_Muntz
The four tracks were divided into two "programs", typically corresponding to the two sides of an LP record, with each program comprising two tracks read simultaneously for stereo (two channel) sound playback. He licensed popular music albums from the major record companies and duplicated them on the four-track cartridges, or "CARtridges", as they were first advertised.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape
By doubling the number of tracks from 4 to 8,[8] the length of any recording doubled to 80 minutes.
And here we are in an age where even the Ipod is outdated. Just goes to show how valuable cheesiness and limited bulky onerous technology is as it is often a bridge to a better place.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Muntz always understood that cheap cheesy technology that does things that expensive gear does, at least until something breaks, will sell millions of units every time. He started with Muntz TVs, which were junk, but made him a ton of money because the price was right. By the time he got to 8 track cartridges, he had it down. The analog cartridge and player were essentially larger consumer versions of the cart racks that were standard in professional broadcasting right up until digital files on hard disks became cheap and reliable enough to replace them. Since popular music tended to sort tracks to fit LP sides, the cartridges in the Muntz system usually had to change the track order, which was pretty cheesy when bands made concept albums.

Again the car stereos were junk, but they opened the door for everything that followed. AM radio essentially died. The FCC tried to resurrect it by allowing AM stereo, but being of the Reaganoid school of communications at the time, they let the market pick a system. Bad choice. No one knew what to do, the competing systems were incompatible, and the market picked FM, which already had a standard stereo system in place. Now, FM has its own problems, some of them also caused by corporate influences on broadcast regs. It's very poorly suited to reception in the car, because early on the big AM station owners actually got the FCC to shift its frequency band to one that doesn't go around obstacles as well. Had analog AM been rechanneled to allow wider stereo signals and higher audio frequencies, it would have actually sounded better. In analog, the audio has more punch, which matters when you're driving around, ask any kid with a 15" subwoofer where the back seat used to be. Didn't matter. Since it was consistent from one mfr to another, the choice was pretty clear to everyone except the deluded mavens of the Laffer Curve and The Free Market who thought supply and demand were the fundamental cosmic forces. FM won.

The rest is history. Now of course we're transitioning everything to digital, however slowly, even on AM, which for a change has worse signal conditions, due to static. Car electronics are often more advanced than the stuff in the home.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Motor City wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:00 pm Its the equivilant to "we use to walk to school 9 miles one way in the snow with 1 shoe to get to school" when it comes to old timers music in the car compared to what there is today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4AqLKN2p2o

started with the 4 track stereo pack by Muntz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madman_Muntz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-track_tape

And here we are in an age where even the Ipod is outdated. Just goes to show how valuable cheesiness and limited bulky onerous technology is as it is often a bridge to a better place.
I remember the car 8-track player. Around 1967, my dad bought a Rambler, with push-button transmission, for my brother to drive to the local junior college, at a Border Patrol auction. The car was seized for drug smuggling. Dad towed it home and when he was cleaning it out he found a towel under the spare tire in the trunk. When he pulled it out a handgun, the Border Patrol missed, fell out. He turned it in to the police. My brother installed an 8-track player in the car and it was like magic to be able to play whatever music you wanted instead of what some disc jockey thought you wanted to hear. The main problems with the 8-track players were the player would change tracks to continue playing song. The other was the player often "ate" a tape so you'd have to gently remove the tape and once you did that you had to pull down on the tape near one end of the cartridge to get the other side to take up the tape.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Nearly 185,000 Ford F-150 pickups may have serious driveshaft problem
......Ford notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Dec. 16 that thermal and acoustic insulators on the underbody of the F-150s "may loosen and contact with the aluminum driveshaft," which may fracture because of heat build up or other damage.......

.....An explanation submitted to safety regulators said the problem is caused by inadequate adhesion of the insulators to the vehicle underbody, which results in loosening and sagging of the insulators.....

The trucks are built at the Dearborn Truck Plant and the Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri. The component manufacturer is identified as Lydall Thermal/Acoustical, Inc. of Hamptonville, North Carolina.
LYDALL TO ADD 170 JOBS IN YADKIN COUNTY
Mar 4, 2011

Gov. Bev Perdue today announced that Lydall, a manufacturer of specialty thermal/acoustical products for the automotive industry, will expand their manufacturing facility in Hamptonville and open a new manufacturing and distribution facility in Yadkinville. The company plans to create 170 jobs and invest $18.5 million during the next three years in Yadkin County. The project was made possible in part by a $300,000 grant from the One North Carolina Fund.

“It’s great to see Lydall significantly increase their investment in Yadkin County, because they see firsthand the value of doing business in North Carolina,” said Gov. Perdue. “Creating jobs is my number one priority, especially in areas of the state that have been hit so hard by the decline in our traditional manufacturing industries.”....

....Salaries will vary by job function, but the average annual wage for the new jobs will be $25,294 plus benefits. The Yadkin County average annual wage is $27,716..........
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Kids, maybe, don't always listen to Alexa's advice.

Amazon's Alexa tells 10-year-old child to touch penny to exposed plug socket
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/29/business ... index.html

According to a tweet posted by Kristin Livdahl, Alexa told her 10-year-old child to touch a penny to an exposed plug socket.
"My 10 year old just asked Alexa on our Echo for a challenge and this is what she said," Livdahl tweeted on Sunday.

Livdahl shared an image of Alexa's response after her child asked the device for a challenge.
"Here's something I found on the web. According to ourcommunitynow.com: The challenge is simple: plug in a phone charger about halfway into a wall outlet, then touch a penny to the exposed prongs," Alexa's response read.

[snip][end]

Alexa, I often tell this to humans, but let me tell you as an AI: not a good idea to repeat everything found on the web.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:00 am Kids, maybe, don't always listen to Alexa's advice.

Amazon's Alexa tells 10-year-old child to touch penny to exposed plug socket
https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/29/business ... index.html

According to a tweet posted by Kristin Livdahl, Alexa told her 10-year-old child to touch a penny to an exposed plug socket.
"My 10 year old just asked Alexa on our Echo for a challenge and this is what she said," Livdahl tweeted on Sunday.

Livdahl shared an image of Alexa's response after her child asked the device for a challenge.
"Here's something I found on the web. According to ourcommunitynow.com: The challenge is simple: plug in a phone charger about halfway into a wall outlet, then touch a penny to the exposed prongs," Alexa's response read.

[snip][end]

Alexa, I often tell this to humans, but let me tell you as an AI: not a good idea to repeat everything found on the web.
Oh jesus, life changing money from lawsuit vs Amazon HELLO :lol:
I sigh in your general direction.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

No, 5G technology doesn't give you COVID (or any other disease); no it is not communicating with Bill Gates vax-implanted chips in your brain; no it is not a government mind or weather control system. :D

Much nonsense on the interwebz about it ... but there IS one legitimate concern affecting rollout.

Airlines file emergency request asking FCC to delay 5G rollout
https://thehill.com/policy/transportati ... 5g-rollout

A top airlines trade group on Thursday filed an emergency request for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to delay the rollout of 5G wireless service, citing concerns that the technology could cause disruptions for flights.

Airlines for America, which represents cargo airlines and passenger airlines in the U.S, requested that the agency delay the use of the service near airports such as George Bush Airport in Houston, John F. Kennedy in New York and Newark Liberty in New Jersey, according to Bloomberg News.

[snip][end]

To be clear, the only thing the airlines want to do is to delay towers being put near airports, where it could be a problem in interfering with airline communications.

My guess is, as always, (not new), they will tell you to disable 5G wireless devices during takeoff and landing, too.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

I purposely got an iPhone 11 instead of the 12 because we need to use an extender a Verizon extender and my understanding is it won’t work with the 5G phone even though you can turn the 5G off, now I have to replace my wife’s phone and I don’t know what to do.

Wi-Fi calling works but it’s not perfect.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

China replaces 'soldiers with robots' in Tibet as soldiers ‘fleeing’ in harsh winters
https://www.wionews.com/india-news/chin ... ers-441159

As the unsolved India-China border dispute brews tensions, new media reports allege that China is sending machine gun-wielding robots to the frontier to exacerbate the situation.

According to Indian media reports, dozens of autonomous vehicles capable of transporting both weapons and supplies are being dispatched to Tibet, with the bulk being deployed in border regions where Chinese troops are engaged in a standoff with Indian troops.

The Sharp Claw, which can be handled wirelessly and is armed with a light machinegun, and the Mule-200, which is meant as an unmanned delivery truck but can also be equipped with weaponry, are two examples of vehicles.

'[snip][end]

Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:49 pm China replaces 'soldiers with robots' in Tibet as soldiers ‘fleeing’ in harsh winters
https://www.wionews.com/india-news/chin ... ers-441159

As the unsolved India-China border dispute brews tensions, new media reports allege that China is sending machine gun-wielding robots to the frontier to exacerbate the situation.

According to Indian media reports, dozens of autonomous vehicles capable of transporting both weapons and supplies are being dispatched to Tibet, with the bulk being deployed in border regions where Chinese troops are engaged in a standoff with Indian troops.

The Sharp Claw, which can be handled wirelessly and is armed with a light machinegun, and the Mule-200, which is meant as an unmanned delivery truck but can also be equipped with weaponry, are two examples of vehicles.

'[snip][end]

I wanna see a Star Wars type robot, c 3po with a bazooka maybe!

And that pic distance shot of what I assume are Chinese soldiers, that could be a scene from a Star Wars movie.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

I don't think those are the droids you're looking for. :|
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:29 pm I don't think those are the droids you're looking for. :|
Good one, boss!
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Senate Marking Up App Neutrality Bill

The Senate Judiciary Committee plans to hold a markup this week on a bill to promote competition in an app market dominated by Apple and Google.

The January 20 markup, where a bill is amended and voted on (or sometimes not), will be on the Open App Markets Act.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/senate-mark ... ality-bill
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Justice Department, FTC Signal Overhaul of Merger Guidelines

The Biden administration signaled Tuesday (Jan. 18) that it would be updating and strengthening merger guidelines in the face of a surge of consolidation it argues has reduced competition and consumer choice.

That came in an announced “public inquiry” they said was expected to result in “strengthening enforcement against illegal mergers,” and that could potentially create new rules targeting digital markets and their “unique characteristics.”

https://www.nexttv.com/news/justice-dep ... guidelines
ap215

Post by ap215 »

GOP critics sometimes own stock in the Big Tech they're slamming

A number of Republican Senate candidates running on anti-Big Tech platforms have stock holdings in the same companies they are vowing to hold accountable if elected to Congress.

That’s drawn accusations, from Democrats and some fellow Republicans, of hypocrisy.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/5 ... e-slamming
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

It wasn't covered much, but I remember seeing the governor of California in a clip where he said that the recent Congress grilling of social network CEOs was "performative" and would not create bipartisan legislation.

All I can say with any authority is that, after watching hours of the stuff on C-SPAN, I must admit that it was a gripping performance. Both parties essentially agreed that the CEOs were basically brainwashing the impressionable to create positive feedback loops and sell more ads. Some committee members had actually started fake accounts for hypothetical and supposedly underage users, and been deluged with the exact stuff that the CEOs were saying they censored on sight. Caught 'em with the goods.

If it really was a performance, well, it convinced me. The envelope, please.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Teen wants $50,000 to stop tracking Elon Musk’s private jet

Earlier this week, 19-year-old Jack Sweeney won a bit of internet fame when Protocol published a story about one of his Twitter bots. The college student maintains ElonJet, a tracker that tweets out when Elon Musk’s private jet takes off and lands. Sweeney has several other such bots that use publicly available air traffic data to follow the private planes of celebrities like Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos. However, with 180,000 followers and counting, the ElonJet account is by far Sweeney’s most famous creation. And it’s that popularity that attracted none other than Elon Musk to the bot.

https://www.engadget.com/elon-musk-elon ... 26608.html
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

This data is broadcast by all aircraft operating in US airspace for safety reasons. It can be tracked with receivers that anyone who has made it past radio 101 can get going for a surprisingly small amount of money and a little work. The sites like ADS-B Exchange and Flightradar24 aggregate it from user supplied data. The suppliers get compensated with free subscriptions or just hobby fun.

There are indeed technical options that disguise aircraft identities while maintaining position data. It can be done, though you would be amazed how few people do it. It's only a partial fix, because the aircraft still must squawk its presence at a given position for air traffic control. They use changing hex IDs and things like that.

This isn't as big a security hole as one would think, because really important military aircraft and such have their own systems, and because the people really worth keeping our eyes on have other ways to get intelligence. You know, like satellites in space.