To the Renaissance Festival

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
gounion

To the Renaissance Festival

Post by gounion »

Spent another enjoyable day at the Tennessee Renaissance Festival. Been going to these since the early 80s, and so happy to see they’re still going strong. Anyone else been to one? Got to looking today, and I’m surprised how many there are. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R ... eval_fairs

Most states have a pretty big one, they go from six o eight weeks. Lots of great fun.

I guess The Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones have kept interest up. Lots of costumes and fun.

Anyone else been to one?
ProfX

Re: To the Renaissance Festival

Post by ProfX »

I've been to the one near Quiet Waters Park in Deerfield Beach.

Florida Renaissance Festival
https://www.ren-fest.com

Sampled some of the mead, had a tasty turkey leg, watched folks joust, sword fight, and play a "life size human" game of chess (where people were the pieces), listened to the bards, enjoyed the tavern wenches :D .... yeah it was fun.

The folks there discussed how putting on medieval armor took such a long time - no wonder you needed a squire - it was damn hard to get on by yourself, let alone fight in.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I went to two renaissance festivals; one in the 80s and one in the 90s. It was interesting seeing the costumed actors but it was mostly commercial, kind of like a Medieval flea market. There were some interesting things to see like the jousting competition and sword fights. In one event, two "knights" in armor, fought each other on horseback and when one "knight" fell to the ground the "knight" on horseback stood up on his saddle, leapt off, and and did a WWE elbow drop on his opponent. I've got to give props to them both for do that in armor. Like the Professor, I liked having a turkey leg to eat but considering the Medieval era ended in around 1450, the idea of turkey legs being in Europe during this time is a stretch considering the turkey is a New World bird and didn't arrive in Europe until the early 1500s.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:20 pm I went to two renaissance festivals; one in the 80s and one in the 90s. It was interesting seeing the costumed actors but it was mostly commercial, kind of like a Medieval flea market. There were some interesting things to see like the jousting competition and sword fights. In one event, two "knights" in armor, fought each other on horseback and when one "knight" fell to the ground the "knight" on horseback stood up on his saddle, leapt off, and and did a WWE elbow drop on his opponent. I've got to give props to them both for do that in armor. Like the Professor, I liked having a turkey leg to eat but considering the Medieval era ended in around 1450, the idea of turkey legs being in Europe during this time is a stretch considering the turkey is a New World bird and didn't arrive in Europe until the early 1500s.
Never expect historical accuracy at Renn Fests😁
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:50 pm Never expect historical accuracy at Renn Fests😁
Now you tell me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:22 pm Now you tell me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, fairies were quite popular at the fest, and quite comely. Had several guys did quite the job on Musketeers-era outfits, but others were tough on the senses - like a 14th century fop wearing a top hat. Eww. Wasn’t quite as much steampunk as I expected.

The jousting was realistic and professional. BIG FUCKING HORSES! They were beauty to behold. Good armor, but it’s still a long friggin’ way to the ground. The lances, as they were in period, were made to break if it’s not a direct hit. They did four full passes.

The folks in the royal court had some great Elizabethan. But it’s all entertainment. I always have a good time. The acts are nearly vaudevillian - base comedy designed to pull you in. Anyone that learns at a RennFair gets VERY good very quickly. Caught the act of a magician - he wasn’t much of a magician, but he WAS quite entertaining and great with a crowd.

If you ever get a chance to go to another one, Six, I highly recommend it.