NASCAR won’t change guidelines on fighting despite driver comments

Football, Baseball, Curling... All the Important Ones!
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Nope I don't condone fighting in any sport at all rules are rules.

DARLINGTON, S.C. — While some Cup drivers say they should be allowed to fight as in pro hockey, NASCAR will not adjust its guidelines to permit that.

A NASCAR spokesperson told NBC Sports on Saturday that series officials are directed not to get involved in a conflict between drivers but let NASCAR’s security team handle the matter. NASCAR relies on its security team members and their decades of law enforcement experience and training to assess situations and react.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13 ... n-harvick/
ZoWie

Re: NASCAR won’t change guidelines on fighting despite driver comments

Post by ZoWie »

Most hockey disputes arise during a situation where everyone's wearing pads and helmets. The players are armed with wooden sticks, but I think they're supposed to drop those and stick to fists. There just isn't a lot of damage they can do.

Most NASCAR disputes would arise on the track or in the pit lane, and the fighters would be armed with 3300-pound cars powered by 500-horsepower engines. You don't encourage people to settle disputes with those.

-------

Added 5/15:

The current question of allowing fist fights between drivers arose after one driver landed a very effective right hook on another one, while they were standing around in the pit area. This was quickly broken up by guards. So you can't equate it with a hockey fight, which begins during the heat of battle.

Now, NASCAR will have to decide whether this is the kind of behavior that they should put their name and reputation behind.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Re: NASCAR won’t change guidelines on fighting despite driver comments

Post by Libertas »

I remember the Earnhardt Gordon days and what we fans did not know is that they were working together to create the rivalry to sell more stuff, which I have no problem with.

I don’t know if there was ever a fistfight involving Earnhardt, there must’ve been but I don’t recall seeing it on film, and I don’t think Jeff Gordon ever hit anybody, but I could be wrong on that.

By the way Jeff Gordon is a liberal but so is Dale Earnhardt JR.

Oh, I wish Tony Stewart would’ve waited and hit that kid driver at that sprint car race with a fist instead of killing him with his fucking car 😡
I sigh in your general direction.