Hasta La Vista James Cordon

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
gounion

Hasta La Vista James Cordon

Post by gounion »

As most of us do, I've watched the late-night talk shows for decades. I remember watching Carson for years, since the 60's, when I could watch the first part of the show in the summer before going to bed. Heck, I even remember watching Joey Bishop, on the other channel from Carson, though I don't remember anything much about it. Then there was Letterman, then Arsenio Hall. I liked Conan, Leno was meh. I remember Real Time with Bill Maher, which was a political show, about the news of the day.

Things have changed.

I haven't WATCHED a late night talk show for a couple of decades. I will catch the YouTube segments. The viral pieces. Meyers, Kimmel, Cordon, Fallon and Colbert. I like them all, probably in that order, with Fallon and Colbert at the top.

Carson was just a talker. He had his fairly funny bit at the top, then it was just mostly guests, with a few comedy bits from time to time, like Carnac.

Doesn't quite fly today. It's all about getting clips to go viral, and music is a great way to get them to go. Especially Cordon, Fallon and Colbert. I think my all-time favorite bit was when Colbert went onto Fallon and, along with Taylor Hicks and The Roots, turned to insipid Rebecca Black song "Friday" an turned it into... well, okay, it's still insipid, but it was a lot of fun.

I like the music clips the best. Fallon does great impressions and the guest are great to sing along. Having The Roots on Fallon was inspired, and they have certainly driven the show to great heights.

Colbert's a great singer too.

Even Kimmel, who's not a singer, got in on with Sarah Silverman's "I'm fucking Matt Damon" and the huge squabble between Kimmel and Damon, with Damon taking over his show one night, with Kimmel tied up in the corner, gagged with his tie.

Cordon has brought his theater background with him, with great bits, even trying to be the front man for Queen. The most loved is the Carpool Karaoke, but there's been a bunch.

Just sayin, I'm gonna miss the bits from Cordon. Hopefully he'll pick some better movies than Cats. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone else pay attention to these?
Number6

Re: Hasta La Vista James Cordon

Post by Number6 »

I watched Carson and Bishop when they were the main late TV hosts. Carson was great because he could get a laugh out of the most minor thing. Back then, late TV shows were meant to entertain and provide a vehicle for actors and writers to plug their latest movie, TV show, or book and that's still the format today. Carson did do some skits like The Might Carson Art Players and Carnac the Magnificant .

As for James Cordon, I rarely watched him because I like Steven Colbert. However, I was amazed the first time I saw Cordon and that was in a Dr. Who episode and thought he should be in more TV shows and movies. I saw clips on the news of Cordon's last show and I didn't know how talented he really was singing while playing the piano. I hope we'll see Cordon in movies and TV shows in the future.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Re: Hasta La Vista James Cordon

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:41 pm I watched Carson and Bishop when they were the main late TV hosts. Carson was great because he could get a laugh out of the most minor thing. Back then, late TV shows were meant to entertain and provide a vehicle for actors and writers to plug their latest movie, TV show, or book and that's still the format today. Carson did do some skits like The Might Carson Art Players and Carnac the Magnificant .

As for James Cordon, I rarely watched him because I like Steven Colbert. However, I was amazed the first time I saw Cordon and that was in a Dr. Who episode and thought he should be in more TV shows and movies. I saw clips on the news of Cordon's last show and I didn't know how talented he really was singing while playing the piano. I hope we'll see Cordon in movies and TV shows in the future.
He's got 79 credits for acting in TV and movies on IMDB since the nineties. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0179479/?re ... s%2520cord

I was surprised he played Planchet in the strange Steampunk/Mission Impossible-style Three Musketeers in 2011. He shows up in some of the craziest places.