Mickey Mouse dupes DeSantis

News and events of the day
gounion

Mickey Mouse dupes DeSantis

Post by gounion »

And you guys want this idiot to be President? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://apnews.com/article/disney-world ... 52d0a6e2a7
Board members picked by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis to oversee the governance of Walt Disney World said Wednesday that their Disney-controlled predecessors pulled a fast one on them by passing restrictive covenants that strip the new board of many of its powers.

The current supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District said at a meeting that their predecessors last month signed a development agreement with the company that gave Disney maximum developmental power over the theme park resort’s 27,000 acres in central Florida.

The five supervisors were appointed by the Republican governor to the board after the Florida Legislature overhauled Disney’s government in retaliation for the entertainment giant publicly opposing so-called “Don’t Say Gay” legislation that bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade, as well as lessons deemed not age-appropriate.

In taking on Disney, DeSantis furthered his reputation as a culture warrior willing to battle perceived political enemies and wield the power of state government to accomplish political goals, a strategy that is expected to continue ahead of his potential White House run.

The new supervisors replaced a board that had been controlled by Disney during the previous 55 years that the government operated as the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The new board members held their first meeting earlier this month and said they found out about the agreement after their appointments.

“We’re going to have to deal with it and correct it,” board member Brian Aungst said Wednesday. “It’s a subversion of the will of the voters and the Legislature and the governor. It completely circumvents the authority of this board to govern.”

Under the terms of the agreement, the district is prohibited from using the name “Disney” or any symbols associated with the theme park resort without the company’s permission, nor can it use the likeness of Mickey Mouse, other Disney characters or other intellectual property in any manner. The company can sue for damages for any violations, and the agreement is in effect until perpetuity, according to the declaration.

If the agreement is deemed to violate rules against perpetuity, it will be in effect until 21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of England’s King Charles III, the declaration said.

In a statement, Disney said all agreements were above board and took place in public.

“All agreements signed between Disney and the District were appropriate, and were discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law,” the statement said.
DeSantis isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is. If Disney can do this to him, what could Putin do?

DeSantis is a little leaguer who thinks he can play in the Bigs. He can't.
Libertas

Re: Mickey Mouse dupes DeSantis

Post by Libertas »

Desantis wont be happy until you and I are dead or in prison and your con person on this board wont do jack about it.
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Well, when a crazed authoritarian gets beat legally, he doesn’t let it go, and then goes illegal. https://nordot.app/1017139773780475904? ... 7532812385
Escalating an already hot feud, Gov. Ron DeSantis says he plans to work with the Legislature to void the Reedy Creek deal with Disney that stripped the new board of its power and consider imposing new hotel taxes and tolls on Disney World.

“Come hell or high water, we’re going to make sure that policy of Florida carries the day,” DeSantis said in a speech at Hillsdale College in Michigan on Thursday night and first reported by Politico. “And so they can keep trying to do things. But ultimately we’re going to win on every single issue involving Disney, I can tell you that.”

In a question-and-answer session at the conservative Michigan college, DeSantis called the entertainment giant and largest single-site employer in the state a “joke.”

Disney is “acting like somehow that they pulled one over on the state,” DeSantis said.

“But now that Disney has reopened this issue, we’re not just going to void the development agreement they tried to do, we’re going to look at things like taxes on the hotels, we’re going to look at things like tolls on the roads,” he said. “We’re going to look at things like developing some of the property that the district owns.”
This is noting more than a blatant abuse of governmental power against a company that has done absolutely nothing wrong, legally or morally. Disney has been nothing but a good corporate citizen. Not only is Disney the largest employer in Florida, it is also the biggest taxpayer.

Hotel taxes and toll roads? That won’t hurt Disney, it’ll hurt consumers. It’ll hurt the people that wish to take their kids to Disney.

This is not the actions of a sane man. This is not the actions of a sane government.

And Mr. Pro-Business, Joe Memphis, completely and totally approves of these actions.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Board cons are not pro-business they are pro fascism.
gounion

Post by gounion »

More threats from Florida Governor:
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday threatened to build a prison or a competing theme park near the Magic Kingdom or raise taxes on Walt Disney World to retaliate against the company for resisting a state takeover of its special taxing district.

Laying out his plan to exact retribution against the House of Mouse, the Florida Republican said the GOP-controlled state legislature will take steps to “formally nullify” Disney’s attempts to maintain control of the district through last-minute maneuvering.

DeSantis said lawmakers will advance a bill that will “make sure that people understand that you don’t get to put your own company over the will of the people of Florida.”
This is the GOP today. A governor using his power to attack a law-abiding company, not only the state's largest employer, but also the state's largest taxpayer.

The ONLY thing Disney did was speak out against a bill, while supporting their employees.

And this is what Glenn and Joe support. They want this man to be President.

This isn't democracy. This is thugocracy.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Threatening to build a a prison near Disney and threatening Disney with inspections now. He’s an authoritarian. No decent person would vote for someone like Desantis. He’s mentally unfit. As president he would be identical or worse than Trump. Remember Trump punishing blue states because they didn’t vote for him or how Trump wanted to go after people who said mean things about him? This kind of garbage belongs in NoKo, not America.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Drak wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:16 pm Threatening to build a a prison near Disney and threatening Disney with inspections now. He’s an authoritarian. No decent person would vote for someone like Desantis. He’s mentally unfit. As president he would be identical or worse than Trump. Remember Trump punishing blue states because they didn’t vote for him or how Trump wanted to go after people who said mean things about him? This kind of garbage belongs in NoKo, not America.
This fascist prick is exactly why the board cons are in love with him and they are in fucking love with him, they can’t wait to destroy any company or person who dares questions the fascism they love
gounion

Post by gounion »

The price of poker just went up:
The Disneyland resort in California will hold a new LGBTQ-themed event night, according to the company in a tweeted statement on Monday.

"The first-ever Disneyland After Dark: Pride Nite is coming to @Disneyland during Pride Month in June!" said the statement. "This separately ticketed event celebrating the LGBTQIA+ community & allies will have themed entertainment, Disney characters, specialty menu items & more."

This announcement comes just hours after Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) announced at a press conference in Lake Buena Vista that he would be pursuing punitive policies against Disney in an escalating feud that began over the company's criticism of his handling of LGBTQ rights.
They just gave the finger to DeSantis.

He's an idiot, and that's very clear. It's crazy. Disney is a powerful corporation, loved by parents everywhere. They know what they are doing, and DeSantis is just an idiot. He's going to destroy himself and any chance at future office fighting Disney. And let's be clear: Disney has done NOTHING wrong. Conservatives like Joe Memphis has argued for years that corporations have the same Constitutional right to free speech as human beings. While I disagree with such a right, Joe is correct, that's the law of the land right now. Corporations can give vast amounts of money to ensure their voice is heard. They can always speak out.

Joe idiotically tries to defend the idiot DeSantis, saying Disney shouldn't "Shit where they live" - in other words, he suddenly doesn't believe they have a right to free speech. Joe forgets the government is prohibited from attempting to silence their speech. But he doesn't care if what DeSantis is doing is legal or not, he's going to defend it.

He's a terrible governor, he's more interested in staging silly stunts than being an actual governor.

Just another time when Joe proves he himself is nothing but a far-right nut, and not a reasonable person at all.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Desatan and board cons will destroy Disney, put hundreds of thousands, even millions out of work given the impact their corp has on employment, if they can.

It will thrill them, and they will tell the unemployed to fuck off.

The only reason ANY red state has a low unemployment figure is because they dont make corps pay taxes or force them to keep air and water clean. And they rely on MY blue state tax dollars to fund their government and infrastructure. Scumbags.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:33 pm Desatan and board cons will destroy Disney, put hundreds of thousands, even millions out of work given the impact their corp has on employment, if they can.

It will thrill them, and they will tell the unemployed to fuck off.

The only reason ANY red state has a low unemployment figure is because they dont make corps pay taxes or force them to keep air and water clean. And they rely on MY blue state tax dollars to fund their government and infrastructure. Scumbags.
No, they won't destroy Disney. Disney is far stronger and far smarter than the idiot DeSantis. They've outsmarted him from the beginning. DeSantis will be destroyed for the Presidential nom, and he's going to make such a idiot of himself that he won't be able to be re-elected. They'll outlast him. He won't have time to do anything.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:39 pm The price of poker just went up:

They just gave the finger to DeSantis.

He's an idiot, and that's very clear. It's crazy. Disney is a powerful corporation, loved by parents everywhere. They know what they are doing, and DeSantis is just an idiot. He's going to destroy himself and any chance at future office fighting Disney. And let's be clear: Disney has done NOTHING wrong. Conservatives like Joe Memphis has argued for years that corporations have the same Constitutional right to free speech as human beings. While I disagree with such a right, Joe is correct, that's the law of the land right now. Corporations can give vast amounts of money to ensure their voice is heard. They can always speak out.

Joe idiotically tries to defend the idiot DeSantis, saying Disney shouldn't "Shit where they live" - in other words, he suddenly doesn't believe they have a right to free speech. Joe forgets the government is prohibited from attempting to silence their speech. But he doesn't care if what DeSantis is doing is legal or not, he's going to defend it.

He's a terrible governor, he's more interested in staging silly stunts than being an actual governor.

Just another time when Joe proves he himself is nothing but a far-right nut, and not a reasonable person at all.
For the record, I never said Disney couldn’t speak. You are the one who opposes that policy. Not me. Funny how you suddenly are singing another tune. But to be clear, freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from the consequences of such speech.

But if you are truly interested in government not attempting to limit the speech of others, you need look no farther than the current administration and their behind the scenes attempt to limit the speech of anyone who dared question their policies in the pandemic.

Just another time when GoU proves he himself is nothing but a hypocrite and not a reasonable or honest person at all. But that’s everyday for him. Every day he bothers to post.

Why don’t you stick to stating your positions without being hypocritical or dishonest before you start calling out other posters for doing what you do everyday. Clean up your own backyard.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:51 pm For the record, I never said Disney couldn’t speak. You are the one who opposes that policy. Not me. Funny how you suddenly are singing another tune. But to be clear, freedom of speech doesn’t mean freedom from the consequences of such speech.
So tell me, what are the consequences of free speech for a company in Florida?

Higher taxes? Attempts to take the company over by the government? Is this how you think the government should treat their biggest employer AND the largest taxpayer in the state? Just for disagreeing with the Governor about a bill attacking gays?

I mean, you SAY you support gay rights - but you cheer DeSantis doing this.

Is this how a true conservative acts?

And let's be clear - I don't think a corporation should have the rights of a flesh-and-blood human. But a law-abiding corporation SHOULD be able to give an opinion without the government trying to destroy them and take over their business.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:50 pm No, they won't destroy Disney. Disney is far stronger and far smarter than the idiot DeSantis. They've outsmarted him from the beginning. DeSantis will be destroyed for the Presidential nom, and he's going to make such a idiot of himself that he won't be able to be re-elected. They'll outlast him. He won't have time to do anything.
If they can, is what I said.

The point being they would love to do this and board cons would cheer it on.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:00 pm So tell me, what are the consequences of free speech for a company in Florida?

Higher taxes? Attempts to take the company over by the government? Is this how you think the government should treat their biggest employer AND the largest taxpayer in the state? Just for disagreeing with the Governor about a bill attacking gays?

I mean, you SAY you support gay rights - but you cheer DeSantis doing this.

Is this how a true conservative acts?

And let's be clear - I don't think a corporation should have the rights of a flesh-and-blood human. But a law-abiding corporation SHOULD be able to give an opinion without the government trying to destroy them and take over their business.
My father had the city I grew up in as a client. So common sense would tell you that if you wanted to keep that business, you didn’t go round criticizing the mayor or the city council. I expect it works that way in most cities and states and even with the Federal government. Now you might be able to give constructive criticism in private but I certainly would not go public unless I was prepared for the consequences. I am fairly certain Disneys vendors don’t publicly trash Disney policies. So yeah GoU. It’s not smart to shit where you eat.

As for taking the company over, Disney is a public company and I doubt the State of FL has designs on “taking over” Disney. Another stupid exaggeration.

I am glad the hear that you don’t think a corporation should have the rights of a flesh and blood person. Corps aren’t people. But the people who own corps are flesh and blood and they have rights and they can choose who represents their interests and rights. This is true even if it makes you uncomfortable or even if it is beyond your ability to understand.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 pm My father had the city I grew up in as a client. So common sense would tell you that if you wanted to keep that business, you didn’t go round criticizing the mayor or the city council. I expect it works that way in most cities and states and even with the Federal government. Now you might be able to give constructive criticism in private but I certainly would not go public unless I was prepared for the consequences. I am fairly certain Disneys vendors don’t publicly trash Disney policies. So yeah GoU. It’s not smart to shit where you eat.

As for taking the company over, Disney is a public company and I doubt the State of FL has designs on “taking over” Disney. Another stupid exaggeration.

I am glad the hear that you don’t think a corporation should have the rights of a flesh and blood person. Corps aren’t people. But the people who own corps are flesh and blood and they have rights and they can choose who represents their interests and rights. This is true even if it makes you uncomfortable or even if it is beyond your ability to understand.
Yes, they were trying to take ownership of the parks in Orlando. Please, deal in facts.

And so Disney should make sure they give money to the incumbent, eh, or the Governor has the right to attack Disney and take over their business?

By the law, the corporation is a person. Again, you don’t seem to have even basic knowledge of how things work in our world.

Are you that fucking stupid?
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:34 pm Yes, they were trying to take ownership of the parks in Orlando. Please, deal in facts.

And so Disney should make sure they give money to the incumbent, eh, or the Governor has the right to attack Disney and take over their business?

By the law, the corporation is a person. Again, you don’t seem to have even basic knowledge of how things work in our world.

Are you that fucking stupid?
Show me the law that states that corporations are in fact human beings and entitled to all the rights as a living breathing human being.

I’ll wait.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:47 pm Show me the law that states that corporations are in fact human beings and entitled to all the rights as a living breathing human being.

I’ll wait.
Do you REALLY not know this?
Drak

Post by Drak »

Joe and Glenn are bigots, and they embrace authoritarianism. That's a fact. There is absolutely NOTHING about Ron DeSantis that represents classic conservatism. Everything is a clown show based on culture wars. He attacks and punishes corporations and people who don't bend the knee. He's a weak, ridiculous bully who who cares about power. If he was president, it's Trump 2.0. The fact is, these guys prove they don't care what their leaders do or the direction they'll go. There is no bottom.

JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:54 pm Do you REALLY not know this?
I know that corporations aren’t people. They are not entitled to all the same rights. Do you not know this?

Show me the case that says in clear English that corps are human beings with all the same rights.

I’ll wait.
Drak

Post by Drak »

I mean, just look at who they also support and defend in congress. Look at the fact that he voted for Marsha Blackburn. All these people are ridiculous clowns.

gounion

Post by gounion »

Joe, how did you get through 4 years to an accounting degree without ever hearing of corporate personhood and the Supreme Court decisions that gave it to those corporations? You haven't heard of Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Rail Road (1886)? Or First Nat'l Bank of Boston v. Bellotti (1978)? Or Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (2010)? Or Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. (2014)?
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:03 pm I know that corporations aren’t people. They are not entitled to all the same rights. Do you not know this?

Show me the case that says in clear English that corps are human beings with all the same rights.

I’ll wait.
Your diploma must have came from a Cracker Jack box. You are truly stupid.

https://www.history.com/news/14th-amend ... nto-people
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:10 pm Joe, how did you get through 4 years to an accounting degree without ever hearing of corporate personhood and the Supreme Court decisions that gave it to those corporations? You haven't heard of Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Rail Road (1886)? Or First Nat'l Bank of Boston v. Bellotti (1978)? Or Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission (2010)? Or Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. (2014)?
None of those cases say that Corps are living breathing human beings. None. Corporations like unions and any other organization that represents people get that authority from the people they represent. It’s not difficult to understand. You understand it at a certain level, corps can’t go to prison. They can’t vote for President.

So corps aren’t people no matter what you claim. And if you have a single cite in any of those cases that says corps are the same as living breathing human beings in all respects, you should be able to produce it.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:23 pm None of those cases say that Corps are living breathing human beings. None. Corporations like unions and any other organization that represents people get that authority from the people they represent. It’s not difficult to understand. You understand it at a certain level, corps can’t go to prison. They can’t vote for President.

So corps aren’t people no matter what you claim. And if you have a single cite in any of those cases that says corps are the same as living breathing human beings in all respects, you should be able to produce it.
No, they have the rights as a person under the Constitution. Their free speech rights are to the corporation ITSELF, not to the people in it.

You are a fucking idiot. I guess you aren't smart enough to read the decisions and how corporate personhood came about in our nation.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Great video - How Disney Outsmarted Ron DeSantis

https://youtu.be/j1jkilao3MQ