2024 Presidential Election

News and events of the day
ZoWie

Re: 2024 Presidential Election

Post by ZoWie »

I've learned to keep my mouth shut on Ray Gun, because the Big Lie started right there. It succeded even better than even the Republicans expected it to. Look at the sheer glee the population had in rehabilitating war and the preparation for war. Then the joyous dismantling of everything that fixed the US economy after the Depression, INCLUDING our industry. Then the abuse of the Internet, which we didn't catch onto until it was too late. That's what put it on steroids.

Now we face the most dangerous time since the 1930s. For around half the population, it's OK to build a gallows at the Capitol and try to kill the country's leadership and install a dictator.

I find myself wondering whether any human can stop it.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWyXCUnths&t=3s

Marianne Williamson: America needs a Philosopher King

On Ukraine, Healthcare, The American Dream, and much more
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Let's see if Marianne can get us 4 years of another fascist piece of shit like Stein did.

https://youtu.be/59XhhFIhK70
I sigh in your general direction.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Motor City wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:37 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WWyXCUnths&t=3s

Marianne Williamson: America needs a Philosopher King

On Ukraine, Healthcare, The American Dream, and much more
The problem with Marianne is that she goes to deep. If you want to get elected nowadays you have to toe the party line, keep it superficial, sound bites, Ya know, click bait headlines. It's all the rage and the only way to get ahead.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

God help us. Too bad there isn't one.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Libertas wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:12 pm God help us. Too bad there isn't one.
How do you know there isn't one?
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

bradman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm The problem with Marianne is that she goes to deep. If you want to get elected nowadays you have to toe the party line, keep it superficial, sound bites, Ya know, click bait headlines. It's all the rage and the only way to get ahead.
Probably the enlightened way to go right now is to think like a philosopher and talk like a social media influencer. This culture isn't doing anything new, but it's doing it a lot bigger.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:24 pm Probably the enlightened way to go right now is to think like a philosopher and talk like a social media influencer. This culture isn't doing anything new, but it's doing it a lot bigger.
Yep, which is why just about everything has to be dumbed-down into a slogan that would fit on a bumper sticker.
When you vote left, you vote right.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

When in Rome.................
bradman

Post by bradman »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:24 pm Probably the enlightened way to go right now is to think like a philosopher and talk like a social media influencer. This culture isn't doing anything new, but it's doing it a lot bigger.
It's the speed at which it happens. It gives no time to.....i dunno.........find the truth?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

The speed is what spreads conspiracy theories in weeks instead of years.

That's really what we have to get on top of. It used to take a bad idea years to gain traction, and that gave rationality, or at least entropy, time to work. It's the speed that's doing it to us. There's just a lot less time for dialectical wear and tear to set in.
bradman

Post by bradman »

In the mean time CT's become truth and truth becomes CT's. Or what should be better known by now as "alternative truth."
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

bradman wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:55 pm The problem with Marianne is that she goes to deep. If you want to get elected nowadays you have to toe the party line, keep it superficial, sound bites, Ya know, click bait headlines. It's all the rage and the only way to get ahead.
Marianne Williamson Deserves To Be Taken Seriously
The dismissal of Williamson is unfair. She has a solid agenda and is an inspiring orator. We should keep an open mind about her candidacy, especially since Biden needs a serious challenger.....

...Certainly, Marianne Williamson’s 2024 platform is dead serious. The first item on her policy list, “Empowered Labor,” begins with her family’s remarkable ties to the American labor movement: her grandfather worked on the Rock Island Railroad and took her father to hear Eugene Debs speak when he was a child.

Then her father was part of the United Auto Workers’ 1937 campaign to organize Ford auto plants. Williamson lists a very clear and detailed 25-point labor plan that includes ensuring universal paid time off, criminally prosecuting executives who target labor organizers, establishing a National Worker Resource Center to help workers organize, requiring worker representation on corporate boards, banning intrusive employer surveillance of workers, ending noncompete clauses, preventing employers from wrongly classifying full-time workers as independent contractors, stepping up NLRB enforcement measures, ending right to work laws, and much more.

On many different issues, the Williamson agenda is similarly detailed. Her health plan includes Medicare for All, but also a bevy of measures designed to bring medical care to underserved rural areas, take on the price gouging of Big Pharma, and make us all healthier through keeping us from being poisoned by terrible food.

I look through the Williamson plan and I see a clear, inspiring vision for the kind of country I want to live in. Yeah, there’s some stuff that betrays her background as a Wellness person (never seen universal access to yoga advocated in a presidential agenda before), but frankly, wellness is good.....
https://marianne2024.com/issues/empowered-labor/
bird

Post by bird »

Williamson deserves to be taken seriously when there is a country capable of taking things seriously.

Does anyone think Bird’s Theorem is a joke?
bradman

Post by bradman »

bird wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:00 am Williamson deserves to be taken seriously when there is a country capable of taking things seriously.

Does anyone think Bird’s Theorem is a joke?
Nope. Not once.

i read a stunning rumor the other day. Apparently the younger republicans, high school and below, give trump something like a 73% approval rating. Stupidity at it's finest.
bradman

Post by bradman »

i started following her. She adds to the conversation, why wouldn't i?

Will i vote for her? Only if by some miracle she ends up with the Democratic Party nod and the support to do it, ya why not.
gounion

Post by gounion »

These accusations sound quite credible.

Marianne Williamson’s ‘abusive’ treatment of 2020 campaign staff, revealed

The self-help guru, who is running for president again, was emotionally and verbally abusive to staff, according to interviews with former employees.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/1 ... f-00087268
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:34 am These accusations sound quite credible.

Marianne Williamson’s ‘abusive’ treatment of 2020 campaign staff, revealed

The self-help guru, who is running for president again, was emotionally and verbally abusive to staff, according to interviews with former employees.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/1 ... f-00087268
That's basically what brought my gal Amy Klobuchar down during her Presidential run. Apparently she was also verbally abusive to her staff too. Rumor has it Kamala Harris has the same problem. Funny that.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:54 am That's basically what brought my gal Amy Klobuchar down during her Presidential run. Apparently she was also verbally abusive to her staff too. Rumor has it Kamala Harris has the same problem. Funny that.
I think this goes above and beyond what I heard about the others.

And I do have a problem with such behavior. Do you?
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:55 am I think this goes above and beyond what I heard about the others.

And I do have a problem with such behavior. Do you?
For some reason this is a pattern i see with female candidates. They can't run their own staff how do you expect them to run the country. So, as with Amy Klobuchar and Kamala Harris (Even Hillary for that matter.) i'll take it with a grain of salt for now.
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:37 am For some reason this is a pattern i see with female candidates. They can't run their own staff how do you expect them to run the country. So, as with Amy Klobuchar and Kamala Harris (Even Hillary for that matter.) i'll take it with a grain of salt for now.
Sorry, but the abuse reported in this article - which is very believable, considering the turnover she’s had in staff - is VERY believable, and not the type of mental health needed in a chief executive. We don’t need our own Trump.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Marianne Williamson’s name is kept alive by people who want to elect a Republican
gounion

Post by gounion »

Libertas wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:51 am Marianne Williamson’s name is kept alive by people who want to elect a Republican
You’re saying I want to elect a Republican?
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 am You’re saying I want to elect a Republican?
Not you, them. They keep bringing her up.
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:45 am Sorry, but the abuse reported in this article - which is very believable, considering the turnover she’s had in staff - is VERY believable, and not the type of mental health needed in a chief executive. We don’t need our own Trump.
Really? Trump?

It sure is trending.....

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GE ... dpr=1#ip=1

All of it boils back to Politico, which i also take with a grain of salt. About the only source in the the link that was somewhat bipartisan was the BBC....

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64984303
"If I can be a bitch at the office at times, I don't think anybody's happy about that," she said, "but I think anybody reading that can measure that against what is normal in politics."

"I'm not running for sainthood here," she continued. "I'm running for president."
"If I've been a tough boss lady, if I have some lessons to learn, which obviously maybe I do, then I hope that I will learn them," she said.

Although the Politico story largely relied on anonymous sources, the magazine included excerpts from a 2019 resignation letter sent by her Iowa state director, Roger Becker, criticising what he called the "belittling, abusive, dehumanizing and unacceptable" way she treated her staff.
[bold] So...what? Is it one verifiable source we are talking about?

One thing for sure is that she's on the Democratic party's establishment hit list.

Other than that, the rest of the usual recruitment in the social media fuck fest is in full swing.