Oscars so white? More like Oscars so nothing.

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
ZoWie

Oscars so white? More like Oscars so nothing.

Post by ZoWie »

The big stuff got snubbed. The flick that got the most nominations... huh? Most people never heard of it. Nothing for Till? WTF?

Oh, the MCU picked up a couple of noms... at least those horses came in.

Big cluck cluck over the publicity campaign for that multiverse flick nobody saw. Well we both had parents in the biz, and we get all their publicity mailings now, piles of it, pounds of it, way too much to actually read through, and still, never heard of it.

I'm told there was an inspired whispering campaign for it right before noms closed... must have been pretty quiet whispering. Maybe at the Sam Goldwyn Theater... have your Academy cards and IDs out please, and vote for Everything Everywhere All At Once if you want to work again in this town....... and Western civilization descends ever farther into total incoherence.

Another year we'll watch old streamers instead of the Oscar ceremony. And to think I used to actually rent a tux (they double the rates for that night) and go on occasion.... times sure change...........
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Motor City

Re: Oscars so white? More like Oscars so nothing.

Post by Motor City »

Heard whispers about this one but haven't seen it yet, it was said to have made $23,000 some odd dollars at the box office, it looks interesting and Linda Perry sure made a good song for the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXkrkH6O4vw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XOFxJjimAk
To Leslie
ZoWie

Re: Oscars so white? More like Oscars so nothing.

Post by ZoWie »

It's generally agreed upon that the best formula for telling whether a movie broke into the black on distribution/exhibition is if it grosses 2.5 times its production cost as of the time when it was first delivered for mass distribution. This one didn't even come close. Now I am not of the school of thought that the merit of a picture depends on its gross, though over the years I have noted that the big grossers tend to get the most buzz at Oscar time.

My analysis as a former insider, which is undoubtedly somewhat behind the times, is that Everything Everywhere All The Time (sounds like a line from Life in the Fast Lane) didn't make much of a splash in the market. Doesn't mean little pictures shouldn't win Oscars. They should, if they're good, and they ran in LA for the obligatory week or two. (Which most do, though covid took its toll on the arthouse and foreign ends of exhibition, to the despair of many real cinema fans.) Means that Academy voters don't reflect the audience. Thank goodness for that, given the audience right now being mostly vacuous adolescents (of all ages) watching a medium originally designed for theaters on cell phones.

The Academy is actually a pretty good organization. I've been around it in one way or another practically since birth, and I like it. I've used their library and other resources they make available to non-members in the biz. I've cued up their leaders on old film projectors more times than I want to remember. Their new museum next to the LA art museum on Wilshire is very worthwhile, and even has the old 3-strip Technicolor camera that I had out of the box (boxes, actually) once just for shits and grins. Takes 3 people to move it, and the dolly is the size of a VW bug and harder to steer. However in my own opinion, the Oscar Night is not what it used to be. The hype finally overtook the content, though that took a very long time to happen.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22