GOP House 2023 Superthread

News and events of the day
gounion

GOP House 2023 Superthread

Post by gounion »

So, this year's GOP Congress is nothing but a Klown Kar of Kraizies. It's MORE crazy than last year's GOP House, and this year they run things.

Well, sorta. It's a mess. Kevin McCarthy is completely beholden to whatever the most nuttiest of the nutties, that is, if he ever gets in office.

My guess is that he won't win the vote tomorrow. And, until there is a Speaker seated, NOTHING will happen. No votes, no committees, nothing.

Which, some may say is a good thing. Those idiots on the right that doesn't want government to function at all.

Now, let's be clear, both Glenn and JoeMemphis WANTED the GOP to win BOTH the House AND the Senate.

So, whatever happens, it's on them. They don't get to pretend they never wanted such a thing.

Here's the problem: While McCarthy is a terrible leader, the nutjobs led by Matt Gaetz, demands that, to get their votes, which McCarthy needs, they want just ONE member to be able to demand a motion to vacate, which means it goes back to a vote who the Speaker is, immediately. Now, McCarthy has already acquiesced to the point of letting five people do it, but that's still unworkable. However, they are still demanding it be brought down to just ONE member can stop everything and have a new vote on Speaker.

Because here's what those nutjobs want: they want to shut the government down completely. And they can do it. Because they MUST pass a budget or everything stops. The budget just passed runs through September of this year.

Now, there WOULD be enough Dems and sane Republicans to get a majority to pass a budget. But if the Speaker doesn't let a bill hit the floor, there is no vote. And that's what the Matt Gaetzes of the House wants. And, if McCarthy moves to allow one, they hit the motion to vacate button, which shuts down everything.

So those few can shut down everything, and that's their plan.

So Joe tells us he votes for his own selfish best interests.

I'll love hearing Joe explain how shutting down the United State Government is in his best interests? Some sort of short selling, maybe?

But y'all strap in, it's going to be a bumpy right.
gounion

Re: GOP House 2023 Superthread

Post by gounion »

Looks like McCarthy is going down. Seven votes against him already.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:12 pm Looks like McCarthy is going down. Seven votes against him already.
Grab the popcorn, this is going to be fun.
When you vote left, you vote right.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis says he wants "reasonable and intelligent" government. Does he consider this "reasonable and intelligent"?
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I have a feeling McCarthy will get elected Speaker, eventually, but not with 218 votes. I think at some point, those opposing him will either vote present or be absent which means instead of needing 218 votes ( one more that half the full membership) he could be elected with 215 votes if six republicans vote present or are absent. This would reduce the number of House members voting from 435 to 429 and half of 429 is 214.5.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Right off the bad The MAGA House start their new term on the sour grapes note Elise Stefanik of New York gave a lousy speech when she mentioned the failed policies of The Democrat Party her words the people electing the GOP for The House or returning to be failures again kissing Kevin McCarthy's ass for The Speakership these next two years maybe ten if they get their way with gerrymandering will be completely on them along with Manchinema & The Senate Parliamentarian in The U.S. Senate it's going to be a disaster.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:29 pm I have a feeling McCarthy will get elected Speaker, eventually, but not with 218 votes. I think at some point, those opposing him will either vote present or be absent which means instead of needing 218 votes ( one more that half the full membership) he could be elected with 215 votes if six republicans vote present or are absent. This would reduce the number of House members voting from 435 to 429 and half of 429 is 214.5.
I dunno. He's already got 19 votes against him. I don't see the crazies backing off from being crazy. If they do, then their base turns on them and they can't raise money.

And if too many Republicans vote present, the Dems can elect Jeffries as speaker. I think the magic number there is 212.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

On the first vote for Speaker, it:='s:

McCarthy - 203
Jeffries - 212
Biggs - 10
Others - 9
Present - 0
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:49 pm On the first vote for Speaker, it:='s:

McCarthy - 203
Jeffries - 212
Biggs - 10
Others - 9
Present - 0
So he's nowhere near the votes he needs. They said there'd be another candidate from the right. Do they have on that will appear, or was that just another right-wing lie?
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:55 pm So he's nowhere near the votes he needs. They said there'd be another candidate from the right. Do they have on that will appear, or was that just another right-wing lie?
I find it hard to believe those 19 who didn't vote for McCarthy will accept anyone who isn't as right-wing as they are. They won't vote for a more moderate republican because "moderate" to republicans equates to "liberal." It'll be interesting to see what happens. BTW, this is the first time in nearly 100 years a Speaker wasn't elected on the first ballot so I guess McCarthy can hold onto that little piece of fame.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:07 pm I find it hard to believe those 19 who didn't vote for McCarthy will accept anyone who isn't as right-wing as they are. They won't vote for a more moderate republican because "moderate" to republicans equates to "liberal." It'll be interesting to see what happens. BTW, this is the first time in nearly 100 years a Speaker wasn't elected on the first ballot so I guess McCarthy can hold onto that little piece of fame.
Agreed. They want to blow up the government, they don't want it to function.

One thing to consider is you don't have to be a member of the House to become speaker. So who will be the mystery candidate, if there is one? Trump has been mentioned, but he's no where popular enough to get the votes.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:19 pm Agreed. They want to blow up the government, they don't want it to function.

One thing to consider is you don't have to be a member of the House to become speaker. So who will be the mystery candidate, if there is one? Trump has been mentioned, but he's no where popular enough to get the votes.
If someone put Trump's name up for Speaker and most republicans would vote for him I think there would be a handful of republicans who would vote for Jeffries because they wouldn't want a shit show with Trump as Speaker.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:26 pm If someone put Trump's name up for Speaker and most republicans would vote for him I think there would be a handful of republicans who would vote for Jeffries because they wouldn't want a shit show with Trump as Speaker.
That's the real dark horse. Jeffries. There are probably a couple of Republicans left that don't want to destroy the country.
gounion

Post by gounion »

This is how Republicans roll. Jim Jordan gets up and speaks before the second ballot, and pleads with the Republicans to vote for Kevin McCarthy. But then as soon as the second ballot starts, he’s nominated, and garners 19 votes on the second round.

Um, if he REALLY supported McCarthy, he would have refused the nomination.

This is today’s GOP. Nothing but backstabbers.

I thought there would be a new candidate they had lined up after the first ballot. Either Jordan is it or they were - are - playing a busted flush.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Ottawa County Board abruptly fires administrator, hires former GOP candidate John Gibbs
.....Gibbs, who lives in Byron Center, defeated former U.S. Rep. Peter Meijer, R-Grand Rapids Township, in a narrow primary last August for Michigan's 3rd Congressional District. Gibbs was endorsed by former President Donald Trump, who targeted Meijer for voting to impeach him.

Gibbs was unable to translate the primary success to the general election, losing handily in November to Democrat Hillary Scholten in a race for the seat, which centers around Grand Rapids but also includes parts of Ottawa County. He struggled to fundraise at the same level as Scholten, and ended up losing by about 13 percentage points.

Democrats hammered Gibbs on his abortion stance, as Gibbs was vehemently against abortion. Gibbs also claimed the outcome of the 2020 presidential election was false despite no credible evidence of voter fraud.

Gibbs spent seven years in Japan as a missionary. He later worked under then-U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson during the Trump presidency. During his time at HUD, Trump nominated Gibbs to oversee the federal Office of Personnel Management. The department oversees more than 2 million employees.

Gibbs’ nomination eventually stalled in the Senate, after CNN unearthed previous social media posts made by Gibbs containing Islamophobic language and conspiracy theories about the Democratic Party.......
In one of their first moves after taking office, the new Ottawa County Board of Commissioners has fired County Administrator John Shay and hired former Republican congressional candidate John Gibbs for the same position.

The move was made during the board’s organization meeting Tuesday, Jan. 3. There was little notice on the change — it wasn't originally on the posted agenda, which included the swearing in of eight new commissioners backed by Ottawa Impact. Those commissioners added several items to the agenda during the meeting.

Under previous board rules, a two-thirds vote was required to add items to the agenda, but new board rules — submitted by Ottawa Impact last Thursday and approved earlier in Tuesday’s meeting — allowed for a simple majority.

The vote to place the item on the agenda passed 6-3, as did the passage of the resolution......

.....Other items added to Tuesday’s agenda included dissolving the county’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Office, changing the county’s vision statement to “Where Freedom Rings,” and changing the county’s counsel to Coleman Law Firm.....
gounion

Post by gounion »

Here’s everyone who voted for Jordan on the second ballot:

Rep. Andy Biggs
Rep. Dan Bishop
Rep. Lauren Boebert
Rep. Josh Brecheen
Rep. Michael Cloud
Rep. Andrew Clyde
Rep. Eli Crane
Rep. Matt Gaetz
Rep. Bob Good
Rep. Paul Gosar
Rep. Andy Harris
Rep. Anna Paulina Luna
Rep. Mary Miller
Rep. Ralph Norman
Rep. Andy Ogles
Rep. Scott Perry
Rep. Matt Rosendale
Rep. Chip Roy
Rep. Keith Self
gounion

Post by gounion »

So, Jeffries 222, McCarthy 203, Jordan 19 - it’s one more election in America where the person with the most votes doesn’t win.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

With about 300 votes cast, McCarthy has already lost 16 republicans so he looks to be a 3 time loser for Speaker in one day. I suspect if there are more ballots, which is very probable, I think Nancy Pelosi may offer him a deal where if he won't be an asshole with the Democrats she'll get some of her Congressional members to be absent lowering the amount of votes needed for McCarthy to be elected. Now I know many will say she shouldn't do it but what it would do is put McCarthy on the spot through this Congressional term not to be an asshole and if he doesn't honor the deal he'll look like the asshole he is. Also, this would cause more turmoil within the republican caucus in effect making him a fearful and weak Speaker.

BTW, I love it when the cameras turn to Pelosi and she's laughing at what's going on.
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:47 pm With about 300 votes cast, McCarthy has already lost 16 republicans so he looks to be a 3 time loser for Speaker in one day. I suspect if there are more ballots, which is very probable, I think Nancy Pelosi may offer him a deal where if he won't be an asshole with the Democrats she'll get some of her Congressional members to be absent lowering the amount of votes needed for McCarthy to be elected. Now I know many will say she shouldn't do it but what it would do is put McCarthy on the spot through this Congressional term not to be an asshole and if he doesn't honor the deal he'll look like the asshole he is. Also, this would cause more turmoil within the republican caucus in effect making him a fearful and weak Speaker.

BTW, I love it when the cameras turn to Pelosi and she's laughing at what's going on.
It’s would be Jeffries not Pelosi that would be making any deals.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://twitter.com/MMFlint/status/1610395444856885250
For nearly two months, the media has been announcing that the Republicans were now “going to control the House.”This is what having things “under control” looks like?This is their victory lap? This is how they’re going to get things done? Did we win by losing? Have we lost? Hmmm.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

gounion wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:02 pm It’s would be Jeffries not Pelosi that would be making any deals.
Jeffries could do it but I think with Pelosi influence it would be doable.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

If there are about 10 moderate republicans who don't want the right-wing wacko caucus to run the House they could get with Jeffries and propose a moderate republican as Speaker the Democrats could vote for.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

How the House speaker vote will work

As lawmakers poured into the House chamber Tuesday for the first time this year to kick off a new Congress, members held a dramatic vote to elect their next speaker, culminating in an intense battle for the gavel between California Rep. Kevin McCarthy and some of his Republican colleagues.

The big picture: In a historic moment, McCarthy failed to secure enough votes on the initial ballot — marking the first time since 1923 that the House has had to hold multiple ballots to elect its next speaker.

https://www.axios.com/2023/01/03/house- ... e-mccarthy
gounion

Post by gounion »

Number6 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:34 pm If there are about 10 moderate republicans who don't want the right-wing wacko caucus to run the House they could get with Jeffries and propose a moderate republican as Speaker the Democrats could vote for.
Possible but not likely. Not soon. I don’t see how it’s workable.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

If it goes on long enough and they get tired enough they can pass a resolution to accept a plurality vote and be done with it.