What Are You Watching

TV, Movies, Music and the Rest!
Number6

What Are You Watching

Post by Number6 »

Whenever there's nothing interesting on TV I'll go to Amazon Prime and watch something from there. Of late, I've been watching Time Team, a British TV program where a group of archeologists have three days to discover artifacts and help confirm the history of sites around England. It's hosted by Tony Robinson who many will recognize as Baldrick in the Black Adder series with Rowan Atkinson.

What I find interesting is instead of dealing with the history at major archeology sites like Stonehenge they dig at sites in small towns and villages. Now, it's not just about digging and recovering artifacts but they have teams doing different things. One team may do the digging while another team researches the history of the area. In the episodes I just watched, they had an expert potter making an ornate Roman bowl and and then he showed how they made a mold of the bowl and reproduced it. In the other episode, one of the archeologists at site at a school showed a pair of students how they shaped rock to build a wall and once they had the procedure down build a small wall similar to the way a nearby wall was built over a thousand years ago.

I'll admit this show isn't for everyone but for my nerdy-side I like it. I find local history more interesting than learning about the history of a nation or the world.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Libertas

Re: What Are You Watching

Post by Libertas »

Number6 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:00 pm Whenever there's nothing interesting on TV I'll go to Amazon Prime and watch something from there. Of late, I've been watching Time Team, a British TV program where a group of archeologists have three days to discover artifacts and help confirm the history of sites around England. It's hosted by Tony Robinson who many will recognize as Baldrick in the Black Adder series with Rowan Atkinson.

What I find interesting is instead of dealing with the history at major archeology sites like Stonehenge they dig at sites in small towns and villages. Now, it's not just about digging and recovering artifacts but they have teams doing different things. One team may do the digging while another team researches the history of the area. In the episodes I just watched, they had an expert potter making an ornate Roman bowl and and then he showed how they made a mold of the bowl and reproduced it. In the other episode, one of the archeologists at site at a school showed a pair of students how they shaped rock to build a wall and once they had the procedure down build a small wall similar to the way a nearby wall was built over a thousand years ago.

I'll admit this show isn't for everyone but for my nerdy-side I like it. I find local history more interesting than learning about the history of a nation or the world.
Reminds me of

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4082744/

The Detectorists, though one is fictional and one is not.

ps
Funniest stand-up in the country or one of them, Doug Stanhope...watch anything you can of his
I sigh in your general direction.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

I was watching this show from another era that seemed a lot like whats happening now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOoEQ2vx7w
Claude Akins tried to tell him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3d9puijocI
Epilogue for "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Motor City wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:03 pm I was watching this show from another era that seemed a lot like whats happening now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPOoEQ2vx7w
Claude Akins tried to tell him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3d9puijocI
Epilogue for "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"
The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street is a classic The Twilight Zone episode showing how fear and ignorance can make ordinary people can descend into anarchy. The Twilight Zone is one of those show whose stories are still relevant today.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Yeah, they study that show in universities. Twilight Zone hit something fundamental with that particular episode, which was basically about conquest by manipulation of inherent fear and distrust among members of the target group. Sort of like the 2016 presidential election.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

Watching rightwing fascist cons being treated like they are normal people and as a result I will join some other friends, out...
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:43 pm Yeah, they study that show in universities. Twilight Zone hit something fundamental with that particular episode, which was basically about conquest by manipulation of inherent fear and distrust among members of the target group. Sort of like the 2016 presidential election.
I think what that episode showed was distrust of members outside their tribe as well as distrust of members of their tribe when cut off from other tribes. Think of tribes as being members living on the same block. In the episode, the block is Maple Street. One member of the tribe leaves the block to check out what is happening outside the block. Loss of contact with other tribes (blocks) isolates the Maple Street tribe and not having to fear other tribes their fears are turned inward on their own members.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYZOtAxYKY

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

It was like 8 mile but with Weird Al instead of Eminem. It probably happened just the way they show it here, the bombshell at the end concerning Als father and the origins of the song Amish Paradise were very shocking.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That's a neat little trailer. I love how it parodies every bad biopic that's ever been made, not to mention that pretentious voice over that is endemic to Hollywood movie trailers. It's Weird Al at his weirdest.

The very idea of an Accordion Hero up on stage offering himself up as a sex god is a great image.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAeZwemTDzc
Eddie Muller's intro to "Where the Sidewalk Ends"
Directed by Otto Preminger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGqondtS54

Where the Sidewalk Ends (1950)
Det. Sgt. Mark Dixon wants to be something his old man wasn't: a guy on the right side of the law but will his vicious nature get the better of him?
About a policeman that got called out and demoted for complaints of violence gets violent with a suspect while questioning him, who dies and turns out was a decorated war hero, then tries to cover it up.

Some interesting twist and parallels, differences with modern day.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNnlL6Xbfss
To End All Wars

A true story about four Allied POWs who endure harsh treatment from their Japanese captors during World War II while being forced to build a railroad through the Burmese jungle. Ultimately they find true freedom by forgiving their enemies. Based on the true story of Ernest Gordon.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Just finished watching [i[The Searchers[/i] starring John Wayne, Jeffery Hunter, and Natalie Wood. It's probably the best western movie ever made.
hottentot venus

Post by hottentot venus »

Just finished watching "Sisu". Absolutely brilliant....

Finished the latest season of "the Witcher"....not bad...

Season 3 of "Ultraman", cuz a gal has to satisfy that anime itch...

Also started watching "Warrior" on MAX, "The Swarm" on Prime, "the Power" on Prime, "Secret Invasion" on Disney+ and "Peaky Blinders" on Netflix...

Started watching something g on Hulu, but can't remember 🤔🤔🤔
Blue Lives don't exist.

Stop drawing equivalence between racial identity and a job

Your career is a choice. Being black isn't.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

I'm watching Doc Martin on my Vizio Free On-Demand. For those unfamiliar with Doc Martin here's a brief description.

Doctor Martin Ellingham is a renown London cardiovascular surgeon who has taken a position as the local general practitioner in the small coastal town of Port Wenn on the Cornish Coast. He's taken this position because he developed a blood phobia.
Martin is cold, aloof, gruff, intolerant, speaks his mind, has almost no social skills, and lacks a bedside manner so obviously how he treats the local village people causes a lot of conflict, confusion, and comedy. He was sent away to school and as a child, he spent his childhood there living with his Aunt Joan during the summer school break because his parents really didn't care about him. He has a familial relationship with Aunt Joan with whom he can confide in. Martin's only interests is medicine and fixing an old clock. On his first day in Port Wenn, where he was being interviewed for the position, he met a local school teacher, Louisa, who was on the board interviewing him and didn't like him or think he was what the village needed.

After Martin was approved by the board, Louisa let Martin know she didn't agree with the board and told him why. He started asking her questions about her eye and based upon her answers he recommended she see an ophthalmologist immediately. The next time he see her she wearing an eye patch. From there, they both begin falling in love with each other. Louisa knows the locals and Martin is starting to learn about them and thinks most of them are stupid. Like any small community, you have your eccentrics and oddballs which drives Martin batty. Also, Martin hates dogs and from the first episode on there's always a stray dog hanging around outside Martin's home/office driving him crazy.

I've seen all the episodes on PBS and even though I know what's going to happen, it's still funny to watch.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

‘Cullud Wattah’ is a searing, intimate portrait of a family crisis in Flint
How does one recount the full measure of an unmeasurable crime? In “Cullud Wattah,” Erika Dickerson-Despenza’s reflection on the Flint, Michigan, water crisis, a disaster-scale tragedy is made achingly real through a human-scale story.

Actor’s Express’ production, running now through Oct. 15, does powerful justice to both script and history, illuminating the true consequences of Flint’s poisoned water through the lives of a single family unraveled by an unforgivable miscarriage of justice.

The play opens in 2016, 936 days since the city of Flint last had clean water. The details of the disaster — familiar to audiences from headline reports going back to 2014, when news of Flint’s lead-poisoned water and government inaction first broke — have become a grinding fact of life for the Cooper family, three generations of Black women enduring the aftermath amid an anemic government response.

Marion (Marita A. McKee) is the household’s sole breadwinner. Her auto manufacturing job at General Motors is keeping them afloat, but her loyalty to the company, which was complicit in the disaster’s coverup, puts her at odds with the rest of the family. Marion’s 9-year-old daughter, Plum (Morgan Crumbly), is battling leukemia, while the teenage Reesee (Asha Basha Duniani) has a menstrual period that never ends and a skin rash that won’t heal.

Meanwhile, Marion’s sister Ainee (Parris Sarter) dares to hope that her pregnancy will finally result in a healthy baby after years of miscarriages, and the Cooper matriarch, Big Ma (Terry Henry), desperately tries to keep her family together with prayer, wisdom and the occasional rap of her stick.

There is no one else in this story, and no one else is needed. Through the tender dynamics of a single family, abstract reports of “elevated lead levels,” “parts per billion” and “boil water advisories” become vivid human dramas. Meanwhile, the official major players in the disaster, like Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder and Emergency Manager Darnell Earley, appear only as disembodied voices on TV, as peripheral to this family’s experience of the crisis as their lives are for the people who caused it......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TPLGzIzdx8

A Conversation with the Cast of Cullud Wattah.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That sounds like a real good show. The Flint situation was always covered as an abstract economic thing, when real people were suffering real damage from it, and when racism really was evident from the start.