Disgusting Sinema goes Independent...

News and events of the day
Libertas

Disgusting Sinema goes Independent...

Post by Libertas »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... -rcna60947

Sinema's decision to quit the Democratic Party jolts Arizona 2024 Senate race
While Sinema hasn't said whether she will run for re-election as an independent, the prospect of a three-way race could complicate Democrats' path to winning in two years.
If she caucuses with the patriotic party, we still have our majority plus one.

If Manchin flips, my rage will be something I might need medical help for.
I sigh in your general direction.
Number6

Re: Disgusting Sinema goes Independent...

Post by Number6 »

She knows her name is worthless in the Democratic Party in Arizona and she knows if she runs for reelection republicans won't vote for her so she's hoping to reinvent herself as an independent in a hopes of drawing enough voters from both parties to win. If that's her strategy then she's as dumb as Herschel Walker.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:18 pm She knows her name is worthless in the Democratic Party in Arizona and she knows if she runs for reelection republicans won't vote for her so she's hoping to reinvent herself as an independent in a hopes of drawing enough voters from both parties to win. If that's her strategy then she's as dumb as Herschel Walker.

I'm pretty certain that's her strategy. She doesn't want to be primaried by a Dem.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Drak wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:24 pm I'm pretty certain that's her strategy. She doesn't want to be primaried by a Dem.
Well, by leaving the Democratic Party she's guaranteed that. Her name and reputation among Democrats in Arizona is crap so she won't have to face a primary challenge but would face both a republican and Democrat in the general election.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bye

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Bludogdem »

It’s still a senate majority. 50-49. So committees and votes for appointments are still in control. No harm no foul.
Drak

Post by Drak »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:28 pm Well, by leaving the Democratic Party she's guaranteed that. Her name and reputation among Democrats in Arizona is crap so she won't have to face a primary challenge but would face both a republican and Democrat in the general election.
Unfortunately this could likely hand that seat back to Republicans.

Marc Caputo
@MarcACaput ·
1h
Scooplet: a confidant of Kari Lake tells us she’s gotten calls to run for Senate against Sinema, but she recently told Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb that he should run for the seat instead

Conventional wisdom: advantage GOP in a 3-candidate AZ Sen race

https://nbcnews.to/3hbU8VZ

Drak

Post by Drak »

Bludogdem wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:42 pm No harm no foul.
Says the Republican.

carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

It's already an R. seat with her stupid ass in it. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Number6 »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:59 pm It's already an R. seat with her stupid ass in it. :problem:
Perhaps, but Schumer is letting her keep her seat on various committees so if she "strays" too far Schumer could always threaten to remove her from one or more positions.
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Since she will caucus with Dems, no immediate impact.

But, it could impact the next Senate election in AZ. She can't possibly win as an Independent, she's no Angus King or Bernie Sanders. But as was just said, she could act as a spoiler candidate to help throw the race to Rethugs. :|
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:10 pm Perhaps, but Schumer is letting her keep her seat on various committees so if she "strays" too far Schumer could always threaten to remove her from one or more positions.
True, and a good idea.

What a diva, ong.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:58 pm Unfortunately this could likely hand that seat back to Republicans.

Marc Caputo
@MarcACaput ·
1h
Scooplet: a confidant of Kari Lake tells us she’s gotten calls to run for Senate against Sinema, but she recently told Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb that he should run for the seat instead

Conventional wisdom: advantage GOP in a 3-candidate AZ Sen race

https://nbcnews.to/3hbU8VZ
Actually, in this case I think it would take votes from another crazed Republican.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:59 pm It's already an R. seat with her stupid ass in it. :problem:
And someone needs to put the fear of GOD DAMN GOD into Manchin that if he switches, wont be good :twisted:

And if we dont increaae the court, almost none of this matters... :twisted:
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:57 pm Actually, in this case I think it would take votes from another crazed Republican.
Also true.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Look, folks, I'm no fan of Sinema's, but we need to realize she's NOT evil incarnate, nor is she as bad as a Republican.

We have a few things to thank her for, one being the fact that she was key to the Respect for Marriage Act, and her work bringing the Mormon Church on board supporting the bill. Sinema grew up Mormon. And I've dug into it, and she was a major mover on the bill and did some excellent negotiating.

I've never been a fan of the perfect being the enemy of the good. What the bill SHOULD have done was simply made gay marriage the law of the land legislatively, but what the bill does is to force all states to recognize any marriage in any other states. So states that outlaw gay marriage could continue to do so, but they'd have to recognize marriages from other states.

Which is still a big step forward.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Nah, f. her.

Perfection is not required of these people, who also happen to be among the most corrupt and bought-off in Congress, and that’s saying something.

F. these turncoats.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:03 pm Nah, f. her.

Perfection is not required of these people, who also happen to be among the most corrupt and bought-off in Congress, and that’s saying something.

F. these turncoats.
Fuck them and we lose a very slim edge.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck them and we lose a very slim edge.
“We” already have a “slim edge,” with them.

You guys can sit around biting your nails with every vote and call it being pragmatic to liberal or whatever.

“We” can do better than these people, including in these fascist red and red-overrun purple states, which is what her own political career was SUPPOSED to prove in the first place.

She owes that career to the Dems and her D constituents but she’s beholden to that rightwing munny, hunny. Wonder what her constituents think of her jumping ship in the middle of a term. :?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:12 pm “We” already have a “slim edge,” with them.

You guys can sit around biting your nails with every vote and call it being pragmatic to liberal or whatever.

“We” can do better than these people, including in these fascist red and red-overrun purple states, which is what her own political career was SUPPOSED to prove in the first place.

She owes that career to the Dems and her D constituents but she’s beholden to that rightwing munny, hunny. Wonder what her constituents think of her jumping ship in the middle of a term. :?
War makes strange bedfellows.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:17 pm War makes strange bedfellows.
Moderates are just cons.

This isn’t war, and no one can stop you from doing it yourself, but absolutely no one has to crawl into bed with cons.

Better metaphors, pls.

Dogs and fleas comes to mind.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

carmenjonze wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:20 pm Moderates are just cons.

This isn’t war, and no one can stop you from doing it yourself, but absolutely no one has to crawl into bed with cons.

Better metaphors, pls.

Dogs and fleas comes to mind.
Better metaphors?

Nobody's "crawling in bed with them". Wouldn't even make their bed. Now, if they want to help me tuck corners..........And that's all i have to say about that.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

gounion wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:37 pm Look, folks, I'm no fan of Sinema's, but we need to realize she's NOT evil incarnate, nor is she as bad as a Republican.

We have a few things to thank her for, one being the fact that she was key to the Respect for Marriage Act, and her work bringing the Mormon Church on board supporting the bill. Sinema grew up Mormon. And I've dug into it, and she was a major mover on the bill and did some excellent negotiating.

I've never been a fan of the perfect being the enemy of the good. What the bill SHOULD have done was simply made gay marriage the law of the land legislatively, but what the bill does is to force all states to recognize any marriage in any other states. So states that outlaw gay marriage could continue to do so, but they'd have to recognize marriages from other states.

Which is still a big step forward.
Can you imagine if it was Incremental Prairie League, I mean it wouldnt be as good you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioMQent_Ca0

But instead of it just not being as good here it just wouldn't do any good, and were not in times and situations that can stand no good happening.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:32 pm Better metaphors?

Nobody's "crawling in bed with them".
Didn’t you just make a comment about bedfellows?

Anyway…
Wouldn't even make their bed. Now, if they want to help me tuck corners..........And that's all i have to say about that.
Watch out for the fleas.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Toonces »

She has voted with Biden 93% of the time.

I still object to politicians who switch affiliations. It has happened here a few times, they'll switch parties. People vote for a candidate primarily based on their party affiliation. Not all, of course, but certainly a plurality. By changing, you're essentially telling those voters that they do not count. If you want to leave, fine, but resign to do so.

And yes, I've taken issue with those who've left to join the party I support.