2022's dueling buzzwords - pick your torture

News and events of the day
ZoWie

2022's dueling buzzwords - pick your torture

Post by ZoWie »

Webster's has chosen "gaslighting" as the US Word of the Year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63798242
Searches on its website for the word have spiked by 1,740% in 2022, according to the company.

Gaslighting is the act or practice of grossly misleading someone, especially for one's own advantage.

"In this age of misinformation - of 'fake news', conspiracy theories, Twitter trolls, and deep fakes - gaslighting has emerged as a word for our time," Merriam-Webster said in a statement on Monday.
I do think this a good choice. First there's the delicious irony of their using Internet interactions, the Holy Grail of our time, as the metric to annoint "gaslight" as Media Press Release of the Year, thus adding to the noise. But then, we have the fact that it's true. Anyway, Gaslight is a classic old flick, and the mood it generates is one that I have experienced many times in trying to deal with the decline and fall of US media into one true and holy dystopian semiotic horror show.

------
In the UK, things are a bit different.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-63458467
The Collins dictionary has chosen "permacrisis" as the UK word of the year.

Permacrisis - a word describing the feeling of living through a period of war, inflation, and political instability - has been chosen as Collins Dictionary's word of the year.

It "sums up just how truly awful 2022 has been for so many people", said Alex Beecroft, head of Collins Learning.

It led Collins's annual compilation of 10 words or phrases which "reflect our ever-evolving language and the preoccupations of those who use it".
This is the first time I've seen "permacrisis" and I must say I like it. It wasn't based on a metric, so US business types will discount it, but it works. I've always called it "Perpetual Crisis Mode," and in my media studies I came to know it well. This, though, is a shorter word for it.

But is it catchy enough for Americans? We're a tough audience. We're being gaslighted for sure, and we do lurch from one crisis to another, so maybe indeed it's all one big crisis. Maybe the system just isn't working very well, and there's no viable way to change it in a timely manner.

When you put both words together, the result makes me think that we've just summed up 2022 though.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
bradman

Re: 2022's dueling buzzwords - pick your torture

Post by bradman »

i've always been a fan of SNAFU. Situation Normal................
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:57 pm i've always been a fan of SNAFU. Situation Normal................
I worked with an older gentleman who used that term along with fubar all the time. He was quite conservative and proper. Never used fowl language esp in front of the ladies in the office. I asked him if he knew what those words meant and he said no. I told him they were acronyms used in the military and to use his imagination. I never heard him ever use them again. I on the other hand use them all the time. If the shoe fits as they say.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

In my old industry, I would have made it about an hour and a half, on average, before having to use SNAFU or FUBAR.

"Gaslighting" is encountered daily on the Internet, and "Permacrisis" is a very good description of the Nooz version of same. They are much more relevant to my current state of unease.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
gounion

Post by gounion »

ZoWie wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:26 pm In my old industry, I would have made it about an hour and a half, on average, before having to use SNAFU or FUBAR.

"Gaslighting" is encountered daily on the Internet, and "Permacrisis" is a very good description of the Nooz version of same. They are much more relevant to my current state of unease.
In the old days we just said “it’s fucked”. We didn’t mince words! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That was reserved for when you saw your dailies.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:57 pm i've always been a fan of SNAFU. Situation Normal................
One word I've used for over 40 years and still use is GORPUS. If means when your body breaks out in a thousand assholes each one shitting at the same time. I reserve its use for those who are full of shit, purposely lying, or are just too stupid to know what they're talking about. When I use that word it's usually around a group of people and directed towards one person, mostly to a blowhard. People will give me a puzzled look and then I explain the meaning it draws smiles/laughs from them and pisses off the blowhard.
When you vote left, you vote right.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Number6 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:53 pm One word I've used for over 40 years and still use is GORPUS. If means when your body breaks out in a thousand assholes each one shitting at the same time. I reserve its use for those who are full of shit, purposely lying, or are just too stupid to know what they're talking about. When I use that word it's usually around a group of people and directed towards one person, mostly to a blowhard. People will give me a puzzled look and then I explain the meaning it draws smiles/laughs from them and pisses off the blowhard.
Never heard that one. A quick search gave me this........

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gorpus
A person/ thing that farts in the bath tube and tries to eat or sniff the bubbles.
:mrgreen:

If the blowhard was exceptionally irritating i'd give him the nickname, Walking Eagle. To full of shit to fly.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:33 pm I worked with an older gentleman who used that term along with fubar all the time. He was quite conservative and proper. Never used fowl language esp in front of the ladies in the office. I asked him if he knew what those words meant and he said no. I told him they were acronyms used in the military and to use his imagination. I never heard him ever use them again. I on the other hand use them all the time. If the shoe fits as they say.
It's one of the things i don't quite get. There are some who tend to think that the politicians, and the government for that matter, are the worst they've ever been. The bottom of the barrel if you will. Yet when i look at it, from the beginning of time, i see Situation Normal......AFU.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 am It's one of the things i don't quite get. There are some who tend to think that the politicians, and the government for that matter, are the worst they've ever been. The bottom of the barrel if you will. Yet when i look at it, from the beginning of time, i see Situation Normal......AFU.
I see your point. Some folks think hell is hell. Some folks think that parts of hell might be a shade cooler than others. Degrees of hell. It all sounds bad to me.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

bradman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:50 am Never heard that one. A quick search gave me this........

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gorpus
:mrgreen:

If the blowhard was exceptionally irritating i'd give him the nickname, Walking Eagle. To full of shit to fly.
I first heard the term GROPUS from a friend from Texas while in the AF in the late 70s. I may have just been a local, Texas saying but I liked it and have continued using it.
When you vote left, you vote right.