Liz Cheney is ready to lose, but not ready to quit

News and events of the day
gounion

Liz Cheney is ready to lose, but not ready to quit

Post by gounion »

Interesting article on Liz Cheney. I don't agree with her politics, and would never support or vote for her, but she almost alone has the courage to stand up for the Constitution and against Donald Trump, and that is commendable. I respect that.

If you are a Republican and truly don't support Trump, she should be your hero.

https://dnyuz.com/2022/08/07/liz-cheney ... y-to-quit/
It was just over a month before her primary, but Representative Liz Cheney of Wyoming was nowhere near the voters weighing her future.

Ms. Cheney was instead huddled with fellow lawmakers and aides in the Capitol complex, bucking up her allies in a cause she believes is more important than her House seat: Ridding American politics of former President Donald J Trump and his influence.

“The nine of us have done more to prevent Trump from ever regaining power than any group to date,” she said to fellow members of the panel investigating Mr. Trump’s involvement in the Jan. 6 Capitol attack. “We can’t let up.”

The most closely-watched primary of 2022 has not become much of a race at all. Polls show Ms. Cheney losing badly to her rival, Harriet Hageman, Mr. Trump’s vehicle for revenge, and the congresswoman has been all but driven out of her Trump-loving state, in part because of death threats, her office says.

Yet for Ms. Cheney, the race stopped being about political survival months ago. Instead, she’s used the Aug. 16 contest as a sort of a high-profile stage for her martyrdom — and a proving ground for her new crusade. She used the only debate to tell voters to “vote for somebody else” if they wanted a politician who would violate their oath of office. Last week, she enlisted her father, former Vice President Dick Cheney, to cut an ad calling Mr. Trump a “coward” who represents the greatest threat to America in the history of the republic.

In a state where Mr. Trump won 70 percent of the vote two years ago, Ms. Cheney might as well be asking ranchers to go vegan.

“If the cost of standing up for the Constitution is losing the House seat, then that’s a price I’m willing to pay,” she said in an interview this week in the conference room of a Cheyenne bank.
Libertas

Re: Liz Cheney is ready to lose, but not ready to quit

Post by Libertas »

Just ask yourself, what is "in it" for her or Adam to do what they have done?

Answer is nothing but loyalty to country over party. Because they will both lose their jobs, likely.

The rest of the GOP including those here (which includes the ones who LIE and say they are dems or independents) put party over country every single time.

And they wonder why we have "strong" feelings about them.

If you are GOP, either you agree with Liz and Adam regards trump or you are anti American. And this is no longer just my and others like me opinion, this is shared now by most mainstream Americans. I know Dean Obeidallah resisted calling them traitors for years, but even he does now.
I sigh in your general direction.
gounion

Re: Liz Cheney is ready to lose, but not ready to quit

Post by gounion »

It's funny - Glenn says he doesn't support Trump, but he attacks Cheney all the time. She should be his hero. That says it all.