EARTH....

News and events of the day
ZoWie

Re: EARTH....

Post by ZoWie »

It's true that the hazards are well documented and have been for years, and I would expect anyone living down there, even right on the coast, to be familiar with them. Yes, anything that stirs up dust is a problem. They'd have to wet down the dirt, though I think they were proposing that the extraction be done while it's still wet mud.

It's an idea that a university professor told the press that (s)he had. I doubt there is any commercial plan to do anything like that, not yet anyway.

The facts of the situation remain that the Salton Sea is a giant engineering mistake, that it should never have existed, and that its existence poses many hazards to the entire region. It has been there long enough to soak down deep and lubricate earthquake faults, for a start. It's been proposed as one possible trigger for The Big One, which would cause damage all the way to Ventura County. Then there's the toxic dust, which is a problem every year at this time when the wind reverses. And, as far as recreational value goes, you'd have to have your sense of smell bypassed to venture near many areas around it.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

5.1-magnitude quake hits near Callao, Peru

Callao [Peru], November 28 (ANI/Xinhua): An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.1 jolted 28 km west of Callao, Peru at 0632 GMT on Sunday, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The epicenter, with a depth of 64.45 km, was initially determined to be at 12.0305 degrees south latitude and 77.3749 degrees west longitude.

https://www.caribbeannews.net/news/2718 ... allao-peru#
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

most of the country...has absolutely no weather at all.
some in MN some, a bit, in Seattle...that is all.

the rest of the entire continent of merica has no weather. not a drop. dec 1, 2021.
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:22 pm It's true that the hazards are well documented and have been for years, and I would expect anyone living down there, even right on the coast, to be familiar with them. Yes, anything that stirs up dust is a problem. They'd have to wet down the dirt, though I think they were proposing that the extraction be done while it's still wet mud.

It's an idea that a university professor told the press that (s)he had. I doubt there is any commercial plan to do anything like that, not yet anyway.

The facts of the situation remain that the Salton Sea is a giant engineering mistake, that it should never have existed, and that its existence poses many hazards to the entire region. It has been there long enough to soak down deep and lubricate earthquake faults, for a start. It's been proposed as one possible trigger for The Big One, which would cause damage all the way to Ventura County. Then there's the toxic dust, which is a problem every year at this time when the wind reverses. And, as far as recreational value goes, you'd have to have your sense of smell bypassed to venture near many areas around it.
the CO Rio was in some, fashion natural or man, feeding Salton Sea, when the grasses were thick deep shoulder height, across
sonoran desert 1100-1800.
they diverted CO water sold housing and towns ignorant of...nature. like the rest of SCa and merica. and Mayans
Who are these..flag-sucking halfwits fleeced fooled by stupid little rich kids They speak for all that is cruel stupid They are racists hate mongers I piss down the throats of these Nazis Im too old to worry whether they like it. Fuck them.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Of course. The story, which I admit to not having time to research as well as I'd wish, is that farmers and developers wanted a Colorado River diversion canal that stayed north of the Mexican border and therefore would not require international treaties to nail down water rights. They dug one, the "All-American Canal," but briefly ended up with the whole Colorado River, still a mighty stream at the time, coming out in the lowest part of the Imperial Valley, below sea level. An engineering mistake.

The names "All-American Canal" and "Imperial Valley" give an important clue to the thinking, or lack thereof, that characterizes most of the ultra-speculative investment-driven history of Southern California. There was never much regard for the ecology or the indigenous peoples of the region. "Eureka," the motto of the gold rush, is also the official California state motto. That's all you have to know. Everyone was from somewhere else and wanted something they didn't have.

Where I live, there used to be rivers of a sort and a very significant Native American complex of settlements and farms that sustained a whole culture. It's all gone, though you can find remnants that verify the historical accounts. A school campus in the area has a set of springs that are so historic that they are being litigated as possible "Indian land." There's already a museum and a ceremonial site there where real tribes have real activities. There are plenty of cement channels where washes and a few real rivers used to be, and agencies continuously churn plans to make them look more like rivers again. A couple would at least trickle all year long. They still do, though now it's an inch deep at the bottom of the cement and so polluted that you're told to avoid contact with the water.

Those who don't understand Southern California run a risk of being disappointed. It's nice if you have a steady income and a good place to live, otherwise it has some serious issues that keep getting worse. I come by my dislike for the place honestly. It's misbegotten, and in today's environmental crisis it's part of the problem.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

A rare Hawaii blizzard warning is in effect while Colorado remains dry and snowless

Hawaii has flood watches and blizzard warnings in effect. Meanwhile, Colorado remains under drought conditions and has also had a record snowless year. CNN meteorologist Derek Van Dam discusses the rarity of these events.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/2021 ... denver.cnn
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Comet will pass through our solar system and it will be the brightest comet of the year.
Robert Lunsford with the American Meteor Society told USA TODAY the comet won't be the most spectacular one ever but will be "the brightest comet this year." With the help of binoculars and telescopes, people across the country can already begin to spot it in the sky, and it won't be long before people can view the comet with the naked eye for this once-in-a-lifetime event.

Unless you are living in Antarctica, Lunsford said anyone on the planet can view the comet right now. Through Dec. 13, the comet can be observed in the morning sky using binoculars or a telescope. On Dec. 12, it will be 21.7 million miles away from Earth, the closest it will get to the planet. If you are able to get away from light pollution, you'll have a better chance to see it.

Beginning Dec. 14, the comet will be viewable in the night sky and for a few days, no instruments will be needed to see it. Lunsford said it will appear next to Venus, and viewers will notice the comet in between the horizon and Venus right after sunset on Dec. 17. In the early hours of Dec. 18, Leonard will be 2.6 million miles away from Venus.

It will fade away each day in the night sky, but people will be able to spot it, with instruments, all the way up to around Christmas.
MSN
I remember the Hale-Bopp comet from 1997. I was living in England and I planned to go outside, late at night, to view it. My apartment was in an old, converted mill and in the 30-ft hallway connecting the living room to the bedrooms there was a 2x2 foot skylight. As I was going to get my coat I looked at the skylight and there was the Hale-Bopp comet, perfectly framed in the skylight. I was an amazing sight to see.
When you vote left, you vote right.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

hale bop. it became a tune we sang...bop bop bop. lol.
we spent the summer riding horses around the west, mostly 4corners area.
camping on Dead Horse Point in canyonlands, most wide open sky ever.
hale bop was with us Every nite for the summer. it was way cool.

here it will be hard for this comet to be brighter than Venus this summer cuz its huge and Bright.
again in a line...jupiter usual size, saturn--very small this summer-- and venus to the western sky is Huge.
Last edited by rainwater on Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Yes, the comets I like are the ones where you look up and they're just there and amazingly bright, like those projections on the planetarium domes. They're the ones that used to start wars in ancient times.

I can remember one of these, probably Hale-Bopp. The rest have been pretty dim in the city.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

denver colorado the mile high city has not had any rain or snow in 259days. said the crawl.
it was 80 in denver last week.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/01/d ... nowy-fall/
Denver weather: We just had one of our driest, warmest and least-snowy falls on record--
Denver is rewriting the record books for lack of moisture, lack of snow and warm temperatures
HST.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

We'd never even heard of La Nina 50 years ago. Now we're having the first two-year La Nina ever recorded.

Today's Nooz was reporting some science paper about how winters entirely without snow are now possible any year in North American areas that are supposed to get feet of it. They mean that in the past it would have been a historic event, but now it is much less remarkable.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

rainwater wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:16 pm denver colorado the mile high city has not had any rain or snow in 259days. said the crawl.
it was 80 in denver last week.

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/12/01/d ... nowy-fall/
Denver weather: We just had one of our driest, warmest and least-snowy falls on record--
Denver is rewriting the record books for lack of moisture, lack of snow and warm temperatures
I read a web news article that for the first time in Denver's recorded history, there was no snow as of December 1st.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 pm I read a web news article that for the first time in Denver's recorded history, there was no snow as of December 1st.
by now ski slopes would generally have..like Breckenridge...50-80 INCHES of Base, by Jan 120 inches.
they got nuthin. maybe 30inches.

no one skis on 30in snow.

we are fucked.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

i hike dog along a rural river walk...beneath the banks of the one time filled Reservoir...i can see the tops of
the close RockyMountain range...where the snow falls and then disappears within a week. the river size, depth,
does not increase. it hasnt Lowered More, but it hasnt Not increased at all so far by December.

everyone is aware of this. the reservoir is mostly...empty. No IRR water downstream.
HST.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J04GFN2Pq1w
Live Feed of the Dec. 4, 2021 Total Solar Eclipse

Weather permitting, NASA TV will air a view of the Dec. 4, 2021, total solar eclipse from Union Glacier, Antarctica. The stream will start at 1:30 a.m. EST (06:30 UTC) and end at 3:37 a.m. EST (08:47 UTC). Totality begins at 2:44 a.m. EST (07:44 UTC).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng4TNBBTRkI
The Earth is the only place in the entire solar system where you can stand and watch a total solar eclipse. No, not just because the Earth is a rocky planet and you can stand on it, but also because of the following cosmic play of numbers. The Moon is 400 times closer to the Earth than the Sun. But, at the same time, its diameter is 400 times smaller than the Sun. These two factors cancel out each other exactly, and hence, we get to see a total solar eclipse from the Earth.

For many centuries, eclipses were viewed as bad omens that brought death and destruction. But for scientists, solar eclipses have proven to be good friends. In this video, we will discuss three solar eclipses that proved to be a turning point in the history of science.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:26 pm I read a web news article that for the first time in Denver's recorded history, there was no snow as of December 1st.
i ranched at 8000-9000 ft due S of denver NE of CS, there is no snow there as of now.

unheard of. this was major snow area, like Black Forest. now burned down.
i was higher Alt than black forest. no snow. no rain.
HST.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

rainwater wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:54 pm i ranched at 8000-9000 ft due S of denver NE of CS, there is no snow there as of now.

unheard of. this was major snow area, like Black Forest. now burned down.
i was higher Alt than black forest. no snow. no rain.
You must be acclimatized to be able to breath at that altitude. I've been in Denver and had no problems breathing doing normal activities.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:28 pm You must be acclimatized to be able to breath at that altitude. I've been in Denver and had no problems breathing doing normal activities.
...sorry the bluelite killed half half my post. fuck.jesush. shit is on mars and my post gets fuked. SMH.
goddam fuk him too. FUCK.

LOST THIS POST....a holiday couple recently had him in cardiac ER cuz altitude shut down his heart at this altitude.

btw Six..id given thot to SDiego area...but with a kid to raise and the crave for wild it didnt work for
that. had it just been me....yah SD woulda been cool.

low altitude people who visit altitude get chest pains, they dont know why but once a local ER...lets them know
they feel better acclimated knowing about Altitude. live n learn.

when i spent summer in S Canada at 900ft altitude i ended in ER twice with very Low POTASSIUM.
high altitude is My thrive.
which is why im still in the Rockies than in lower alt canada where my friends are.
sigh.
HST.
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

Number6 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:28 pm You must be acclimatized to be able to breath at that altitude. I've been in Denver and had no problems breathing doing normal activities.
yah....high altitude, my altitude thrive point or id be in SDeigo.
i work well at 7000 9000ft. im good.
was raised cape cod sea level. yah. kid didnt know shit.

then lived adult life at high altitude and thrived.
HST.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Famously soggy Seattle sees its wettest fall on record

SEATTLE (AP) — Seattle, a city known for soggy weather, has seen its wettest fall on record.

The National Weather Service says 19.04 inches (48.4 centimeters) of rain fell between Sept. 1 and Nov. 30, breaking a record set in 2006.

https://www.aol.com/news/famously-soggy ... 44361.html
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

That's in keeping with La Nina. It doesn't suppress rainfall altogether. It just shifts ocean currents, so the weather moves northward. Hence the series of atmospheric river events in the US Pacific Northwest, western Canada, and Alaska.

There would not be a 2-year La Nina without climate change. There was never one before. They just didn't last that long. The whole phenomenon wasn't discovered until something like 20 years ago.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Death toll rises to 13 in Indonesia volcano eruption

LUMAJANG, Indonesia (AP) — The death toll following the eruption of the highest volcano on Indonesia’s most densely populated island of Java has risen to 13, with seven people still missing, officials said Sunday as smoldering debris and thick mud hampered search efforts.

Mount Semeru in Lumajang district in East Java province spewed thick columns of ash more than 12,000 meters (40,000 feet) into the sky, and searing gas and lava flowed down its slopes after a sudden eruption Saturday triggered by heavy rains. Several villages were blanketed with falling ash.

https://apnews.com/article/environment- ... a086bb08ca
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Environmental groups sue FDA over hormone-disrupting phthalates

Environmental groups are demanding that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) take swift action to ban phthalates from food packaging and processing materials, in a lawsuit filed in a Washington, D.C. federal court on Tuesday.

Phthalates — endocrine-disrupting chemicals that can interfere with hormone function — are linked to birth effects, infertility, miscarriage, learning disabilities and neurological disorders in children, according to the lawsuit. Young children, as well as communities of color and low-income individuals, face increased risks of serious health complications due to phthalate exposure in comparison to the general population, the groups said.

https://thehill.com/policy/equilibrium- ... disrupting
Number6

Post by Number6 »

More than 40 earthquakes have occurred off the coast of Oregon ranging in magnitude of 3.5 - 5.8 on Tuesday.
One of North America's most active fault lines sprung to life on Tuesday after a swarm of more than 40 earthquakes -- ranging from a magnitude 3.5 to 5.8 -- rattled off the coast of Oregon, catching the attention and concern of millions in the region.

The series of quakes, which began early Tuesday morning and continued into Wednesday, were all clustered between 200-250 miles west of the coastal town of Newport, OR, far enough to be mostly undetected on land, but given the area's seismic history, it is creating quite a buzz.

The sheer number of magnitude 5.0 or greater quakes in the region triples the annual average (three 5.0+ quakes per year) since 1980, according to the USGS database.
MSN
rainwater

Post by rainwater »

ahhh...some snow.

dec 21 gaining daylight.
HST.