Media

News and events of the day
ZoWie

Re: Media

Post by ZoWie »

Especially since the country is busy banning any teaching of its racist history.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Mississippi Free Press Receives National Izzy Award Named for Famed Journalist I.F. Stone

JACKSON, Miss.—The Mississippi Free Press received further recognition of its three years of news coverage during the prestigious Izzy Award ceremony on April 27.

The Park Center for Independent Media (PCIM) presented the Izzy Award to the Jackson-headquartered statewide news outlet in a virtual ceremony from Ithaca College in New York.

https://www.mississippifreepress.org/32 ... -i-f-stone
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Here are the winners of the 2023 Pulitzer Prizes

For more than 100 years, the Pulitzer Prizes have been awarded by Columbia University to honor American achievements in journalism, letters and drama, and music. Pulitzers are widely recognized as the most prestigious awards in their field within the United States.

The 107th Pulitzer prizes celebrated journalists across the country. The Associated Press won two awards for its coverage of the war in Ukraine, including the most prestigious of all Pulitzers, the Public Service award.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/08/11747402 ... nners-2023
ap215

Post by ap215 »

President Biden Nominates Anna Gomez for FCC Seat

In the try, try again department, President Joe Biden has nominated Anna Gomez to fill the long-unfilled third Democratic seat on the Federal Communications Commission. Gomez is a veteran communications attorney and policy adviser who has been on the corporate and government sides of policy debates.

The nomination comes as a package deal of sorts with the renominations of sitting commissioners Geoffrey Starks, a Democrat, and Brendan Carr, a Republican.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/president-b ... r-fcc-seat
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Poor FCC.

It appears that all this political meddling in the FCC seems to be a weird residue from the reaction to the Newton Minow era of network TV being derided as a "vast wasteland." It became associated with the shower-temperature-adjusting version of liberalism that was in vogue for a very short period in the mid-20th century but which became a popular boogyman for every political interest group ever since.

Before all this kerfuffle over TV content, the FCC was a run of the mill Federal enforcement agency charged with licensing radio frequencies under international agreements to prevent interference which was a threat to the public welfare. It was the only real prescient vision by the otherwise plodding Herbert Hoover, though it also relates to a lengthy international re-organization of communication in general after the Titanic sinking demonstrated what radio waves were really good for. After the much later coming of network TV, it became a political football, which it still is. By Ray Gun's time, it was something of a symbol of excessive regulation, and so he scored considerable political points by neutering it.

Anyone working in media saw this change and was amazed by its shortsightedness. In my end of things, mostly I noticed how nonplussed the engineers were. There were suddenly practically no technical standards at all. Local control of transmitters was gone. On the radio, stations became essentially repeaters programmed by satellites. On TV, it became ever more like a product, distributed like soup or cereal.

Even before Internet, the game was up. Now, of course, there isn't even a game. Car makers have started dropping AM radios. TV is becoming one huge bit stream. It's over.

Careful what you wish for................
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ap215

Post by ap215 »

It doesn’t make a difference John Malone & the conservatives control CNN no matter what the damage has been done.

Chris Licht, architect of CNN's Trump town hall, 'steps aside'

Under Licht’s tenure, it really has been a terrible year for CNN. Not sure what “ceded control of business operations” means. Could be a resignation, or firing, or demotion, or transfer to some other part of Warner Bros. Discovery’s vast empire.

Daily Kos staff writer Hunter certainly was hoping for a firing after Licht learned all the wrong lessons from his disastrous Trump town hall. Heck, Licht’s response was to chew out CNN media reporter Oliver Darcy for publicly criticizing the event! Mark Sumner was happy to point out CNN’s ratings collapse in the wake of that town hall. Also, I hadn’t realized it, but Keith Olbermann took to the pages of Daily Kos to trash Licht last September.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/6 ... teps-aside
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I was getting ready to put CNN back in my channel rotation, but now I have decided to leave it out. They don't change or adapt, they just talk a good game. They will continue to be Faux Lite when the rubber engages the political road. Their diffuse, ever more conglomerated, leadership is into bottom line and not much else. I can barely keep track of who really owns it.

All of this is a direct result of the Republican erosion of the Fairness Doctrine.
Toonces

Post by Toonces »

CNN has been awful for years.

They're not alone. The more news becomes entertainment the less it becomes news. I really can't watch American news. Most of it is opinion, the other 5% is an infomercial for Henley's Dirty Laundry. If you have news that caters to an ideology for profit, how can you expect the news to have meaning?
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Even MSNBC feels old. There's just no there, there. Internet killed the video star.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

Toonces wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:33 pm CNN has been awful for years.
I used to watch CNN but in the early 2000s I discovered MSNBC and have kept them as my main source of cable news. I watched CNN on the Armed Forces Network back in the 90s when I was in Germany and England. Robin Mead was the news presenter and I enjoyed listening to her present the news. Back then, it was basically just the news and not opinion unlike it is now.
They're not alone. The more news becomes entertainment the less it becomes news. I really can't watch American news. Most of it is opinion, the other 5% is an infomercial for Henley's Dirty Laundry. If you have news that caters to an ideology for profit, how can you expect the news to have meaning?
The problem is not with just the infonews but with the viewer as well. IMO, most people hear what's being said but they don't listen to what's being said. Listening requires the viewer to question what they're hearing and most people are too lazy to do that. I watch/listen to MSNBC but there are times when I question what they're saying.
When you vote left, you vote right.
Number6

Post by Number6 »

ZoWie wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:04 pm Even MSNBC feels old. There's just no there, there. Internet killed the video star.
Fox News changed cable news and MSNBC followed their lead although they're, IMO, more factual than Fox News. The format of the cable infonews needs to change if they're to remain relevant.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

MSNBC at least fills a void left by other corporate Nooz succumbing to Faux Envy. Unfortunately for me, it fills the void all too often with an only slightly different version of the same old talking-head yak yak yak about the same old stuff.

Somewhere there's a vibrant and functioning left in the USA, but it doesn't fit the corporate paradigm so it's pretty much ignored by all but a few marginal web sites.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

Hundreds of Gannett Journalists Walk Out
The union representing the company’s newsroom employees criticized the C.E.O. for cutting jobs and hurting local journalism.

Hundreds of journalists for Gannett, the country’s largest newspaper chain, walked off the job on Monday, accusing the company’s chief executive of decimating its local newsrooms.

The walkout was the biggest labor action in Gannett’s century-old history, the union representing the journalists said. It included workers from about two dozen newsrooms, including The Palm Beach Post, The Arizona Republic and The Austin American-Statesman. The demonstrations were expected to continue on Tuesday for some newsrooms.

The collective action was timed to coincide with Gannett’s annual shareholder meeting on Monday morning. The NewsGuild, which represents more than 1,000 journalists from Gannett, sent a letter to Gannett shareholders in May urging a vote of no confidence against Mike Reed, the chief executive and chairman.

In the letter, the NewsGuild criticized the company’s merger with GateHouse Media in 2019, saying it “mortgaged the future of our company” by loading it up with debt.

The letter also criticized Mr. Reed, who was previously the chief executive of GateHouse Media and took over Gannett after the merger. The union said his compensation — $7.7 million in 2021 and $3.4 million in 2022 — was far too high for a company shedding jobs and paying what the letter said were “depressed wages” to the remaining journalists. Gannett’s share price has fallen about 70 percent since the GateHouse merger.

“Gannett has created news deserts everywhere you look,” said Peter D. Kramer, a reporter for the USA Today Network. “That’s Mike Reed’s Gannett.”.....
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Too little too late Chris fuck off.

Embattled CNN chief apologizes to staff after embarrassing profile, vows to ‘fight like hell’ to win back trust

(CNN) — Chris Licht started CNN’s daily network editorial meeting on Monday by directly addressing the elephant in the room.

“I want to say that I’ve spent the weekend doing a lot of thinking,” Licht told staffers, many of whom had dialed into the meeting specifically to hear from their embattled chief executive.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/05/media/cn ... %20network.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Wish I could say that maybe some sunshine would help at CNN, but probably CNN is beyond help. Parent company Warner Discovery, formerly Time Warner CNN AOL, and many many other lumpy conglomerates before and after that one, is just too detached from the trenches of its many many media subsidiaries to understand anything that doesn't come from the bottom lines of spreadsheets.

This is why there used to be strong firewalls between the newsroom editorial staffs and the suits hidden away on the higher river view floors of upper class enclaves like Hudson Yards and its many tall and expensive Manhattan predecessors. These firewalls, alas, did not survive the late 20th century, when it was decreed from the top down that money is all that matters.

What next, generative AI writing the Nooz copy?

-------

FWIW, every time we assembled in Sunset Blvd to protest CNN coverage of some war or other, employees inside the building flashed the V sign at us out their windows. It's always been clear to me that the rank and file there don't share the values of their brain-damaged management.
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob6AOveEEjI
Gannett journalists across the nation walk out over pay, management issues
Staffers from two dozen newsrooms from California to New York walked off the job on Monday, striking to demand better wages and accusing Gannett leadership of mismanagement. Steven Waldman of the “Rebuild Local News Coalition” joins Geoff Bennett to discuss.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

The FCC is looking to regulate broadband data caps

Federal Communications Commission Chair Jessica Rosenworcel has announced a proposal to investigate broadband internet data caps and their effect on consumers. To help with the investigation, the FCC has opened up a portal asking for public comment on how they’ve been affected by data caps — that is, limits on how much internet data a customer can use before being charged more money or having their service slowed down.

The FCC especially wants to hear about the effects of data caps on “those with disabilities, low-income consumers, and historically disadvantaged communities” as well as their impact on education, the ability to access public safety services, and more.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/20/2376 ... neutrality
Motor City

Post by Motor City »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoExlMXO8kw
America July 4th Ron Burgundy
ap215

Post by ap215 »

FCC Sets Transmission Path for Next Gen TV Simulcasts, Multicasts

Broadcasters hvae gotten a green light from the FCC to better pave the way for the next generation of over-the-air TV.

The FCC has adopted rules (https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-53A1.pdf) to help both broadcasters and their viewers during the transition to a new ATSC 3.0 transmission standard, including allowing for a new, if temporary, expansion of broadcast licenses and making clear that broadcasters can strike deals for carriage by another station of their digital multicast subchannels as well as their primary signal.

https://www.nexttv.com/news/fcc-sets-tr ... multicasts
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

Inevitable, but I don't have to like it. The public is held hostage by these periodic technology conversions. Imagine the uproar if the government suddenly banned internal combustion engines.

It sounds as if the FCC is going to try some Band-Aid solutions for the underlying problem that these digital TV conversions are invariably incompatible backwards. They always make the entire installed receiver base obsolete or obsolescent overnight.

It's easy to see who benefits, and it's not the public. It's Asian electronics companies. And this time, it gets worse. From the link:
NextGen TV will allow for interactivity, targeted advertising and emergency alerts, data backhauls, 4K pictures and more.
That sounds like the biggest threat to privacy yet.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

National Geographic reportedly lays off its last staff writers

National Geographic has reportedly laid off its last staff writers and will no longer be sold on US newsstands.

Nineteen editorial staffers were affected by the layoffs, the Washington Post reported, and several staffers confirmed the news on Twitter.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/ ... ffs-report
ap215

Post by ap215 »

They're not going anywhere sad to say.

Fox Faces FCC License Threat Over False Election Claims & Jan. 6 Attack

(Updated with second Fox statement) Fox may have forked over $787 million to avoid going to trial in Dominion Voting Systems’ defamation lawsuit over false 2020 election claims, but the Rupert Murdoch-owned company is far from free of the fallout.

Full of excerpts of personal emails from Murdoch himself, a petition has been filed with the Federal Communications Commission to deny the broadcast license renewal of Fox Corp-owned Philadelphia TV station FOX 29 over its parent company’s “misdeeds.” Led in part by former Fox Broadcasting Company executive Preston Padden, the petition from The Media and Democracy Project cites the bracing revelations out of the Dominion case and Fox News’ trumpeting of Trump’s Stop the Steal efforts as perpetuating “false news about the 2020 election.”

https://deadline.com/2023/07/donald-tru ... 235431363/
Number6

Post by Number6 »

San Diego Union Tribune sold to MediaNews Group.
San Diego’s daily paper of record, the Union-Tribune, was sold by billionaire owner Patrick Soon-Shiong and his family to MediaNews Group, owned by Alden Global Capital – a company that has come to be feared across the ever-dwindling newspaper landscape.

Just 10 minutes after U-T staffers learned of the sale, they received an email notifying them of staff reductions to come, one staffer tweeted. Alden would offer buyouts “in an effort for staff reductions to be voluntary,” the email read.

Alden was referred to as a ruthless corporate strip-miner “seemingly intent on destroying local journalism,” by one prominent media critic in 2018. But in a struggling local newspaper environment, it’s hard to tell the difference between strip-mining and regular mining.
https://voiceofsandiego.org/2023/07/10/ ... chop-shop/
I hope MediaNews Group doesn't reduce the Union Tribune to the point it isn't worth reading. The paper has done some great reporting like when they exposed then-Congressman Duke Cunningham of taking bribes as well as then-Congressman Duncan Hunter Jr. of misuse of campaign funds, both resulting in prison terms for Cunningham and Hunter.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I don't give it a snowball's chance in hell, but I love when I'm proven to be wrong.

It just doesn't seem like big urban newspapers can make a go of it in SoCal any more. The LA Times is in the final stages of a death spiral. No one reads it anymore, so they can't sell ads, so there's always less in it and even fewer reasons to read it. They used to be a pillar of the Establishment, with a huge building right across from City Hall. Now they hide in El Segundo, next to the oil refinery, and become ever less consequential.

Seems like the Eastern big city papers are doing better. Maybe more people ride mass transit and read them while commuting. Here, everyone's sitting in cars with the radio on.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

Police raid Kansas newspaper office and owner’s home, seize records and computers

(CNN) - Law enforcement officers in Kansas raided the home and office of a newspaper owner, prompting a sharp rebuke from a press freedom group and raising constitutional questions far beyond the small city in the state.

The paper’s co-owner and publisher, Eric Meyer, believes Friday’s raid in Marion – about 60 miles north of Wichita – was prompted by a story published Wednesday about a local business owner, while authorities countered they are investigating what they called “identity theft” in a search warrant.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/13/us/kansa ... index.html