House GOP introduces bill cutting federal funds for 'sexually oriented' events for kids

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: House GOP introduces bill cutting federal funds for 'sexually oriented' events for kids

Post by carmenjonze »

ProfX wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:59 am Conversion therapy is banned by many states, as it is pseudoscience. You can't pray away homosexuality. And even trying just usually traumatizes the child, and can lead to suicide.

Transitioning therapy is a medically sound practice. My personal position is it doesn't have to wait until 18 if the family and several physicians concur it's safe and can begin early.

BTW, I think it's a very weird way to teach to discuss general topics, like sexuality or gender, and not allow students to discuss their individual experience. I sure don't do things that way. Of course, I never force anyone to discuss things they don't want to, either. Granted, of course, all mine are usually over 18.
This undereducated con claims “sometimes we in the village need to step in” having no idea about the topic he’s talking about or what he’s even saying.

“Step in” to do what, besides violentky force heterosexuality and cisgenderism on little kids. :?

Just as no cisheterosexual kid makes some grand announcement :? about being cishetero, no parent in the world, anywhere, sends kids to pray away heterosexuality. Or throws them in conversion “therapy” for being heterosexual or cis. Because they don’t exist.

These parents DO throw these utterly idiotic gender-reveal parties, completely clueless that what they’re talking about is sex. :problem: Poor little kid isn’t even born yet, yet is being subjected to this trash by these ignorant adults. :problem:

These conservative perverts are implementing it against vulnerable children at the state/government level. He calls this the village stepping in. More like the government goosestepping right into everyone’s family life to impose conservative misery and conformity.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Re: House GOP introduces bill cutting federal funds for 'sexually oriented' events for kids

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 pm Sometimes we in the village need to step in
If your way of life is so superior to ever else’s, why do you need villages, and state & federal governments stepping anywhere?

Oh wait, who am I asking - same types of people who needed the government to impose white supremacism in every aspect of social and political life for you.

Keep your 18-year old hands off our high school girls.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Toonces »

Glennfs wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:11 pm So what age is appropriate for a child to announce their gender identity and at what age should the change begin.
Depends. At what age did you say "I think I'm going to be a heterosexual cis man"?

It's not a decision you reach after weighing the pros and cons. It's innate feelings, a sense of who you are. I was young when I had my first girlfriend. It wasn't a decision I came to, it wasn't peer pressure, nor did I do it because I wanted to be trendy. I thought she was pretty and liked being with her.

This is the case for 99% of individuals, given the opportunity without preconceived notions about what we think they should desire.

We must allow children to explore and be who they are. We want to put everything into little boxes and coerce those who don't follow our "rules".

Obviously, if a child expresses a desire to be a career criminal we should do our best to discourage behavior that is destructive. Being gay or trans or any number of legitimate variances is not destructive.

Helping a child learn who they are and accept who they are does wonders for their mental well-being. We harm children by ignoring their feelings, thoughts, wants, desires, beliefs, and emotions. We need to be more proactive about that mental-wellbeing, and emotional-wellbeing. Some may criticize that line of thought as raising "wussy" children if we're concerned about their "feelings".

I struggle every day, wondering how things might have been different for me had that support been available when I was a child. I have Autism but when I was young I was branded with such things as lazy, anti-social, stupid, and a host of other negatives. Yet, if I had that support I would have learned to deal with things in a different manner. Sure, I had to learn how to do things in order to survive but they weren't all necessarily good behavior adaptations.

So, if a 7-year-old boy believes that 'his' body isn't the right one for him, telling him "no" does not help, it hinders. They may up grow up to be a well-adjusted cis individual. They may become a well-adjusted LGBTQ+ adult. If the feelings aren't taken seriously, though, the damage could be significant. Helping that child understand who they are - without inflicting them with our prejudices - makes all the difference.

Children receiving alteration surgery isn't a thing.

Hormone blockers are, but only at a point where they will have any effect, and using them does not cause any permanent changes. Same for any hormonal therapy.

So, at what age? Any age. Whatever is best for that child. Could they be too young to understand? Sure, but to dismiss it would not be "appropriate"
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:20 pm Did you see the Vanderbilt University video that was leaked that was about what a great profit generator it was going to be.
Please provide a source for what you're talking about?

2nd request.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Toonces wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:40 pm Depends. At what age did you say "I think I'm going to be a heterosexual cis man"?

It's not a decision you reach after weighing the pros and cons. It's innate feelings, a sense of who you are. I was young when I had my first girlfriend. It wasn't a decision I came to, it wasn't peer pressure, nor did I do it because I wanted to be trendy. I thought she was pretty and liked being with her.

This is the case for 99% of individuals, given the opportunity without preconceived notions about what we think they should desire.

We must allow children to explore and be who they are. We want to put everything into little boxes and coerce those who don't follow our "rules".

Obviously, if a child expresses a desire to be a career criminal we should do our best to discourage behavior that is destructive. Being gay or trans or any number of legitimate variances is not destructive.

Helping a child learn who they are and accept who they are does wonders for their mental well-being. We harm children by ignoring their feelings, thoughts, wants, desires, beliefs, and emotions. We need to be more proactive about that mental-wellbeing, and emotional-wellbeing. Some may criticize that line of thought as raising "wussy" children if we're concerned about their "feelings".

I struggle every day, wondering how things might have been different for me had that support been available when I was a child. I have Autism but when I was young I was branded with such things as lazy, anti-social, stupid, and a host of other negatives. Yet, if I had that support I would have learned to deal with things in a different manner. Sure, I had to learn how to do things in order to survive but they weren't all necessarily good behavior adaptations.

So, if a 7-year-old boy believes that 'his' body isn't the right one for him, telling him "no" does not help, it hinders. They may up grow up to be a well-adjusted cis individual. They may become a well-adjusted LGBTQ+ adult. If the feelings aren't taken seriously, though, the damage could be significant. Helping that child understand who they are - without inflicting them with our prejudices - makes all the difference.

Children receiving alteration surgery isn't a thing.

Hormone blockers are, but only at a point where they will have any effect, and using them does not cause any permanent changes. Same for any hormonal therapy.

So, at what age? Any age. Whatever is best for that child. Could they be too young to understand? Sure, but to dismiss it would not be "appropriate"
These "prolife" cons hate kids, including their own when they don't conform.

Look what they do to even the straight ones who don't conform, and whom they can't control with a brutal, iron fist.

Queer and trans kids don't have a fighting chance in conservative-run households. That's why they want the government to out the kids to them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Boise woman says transphobia likely triggered her attack at the downtown library - Boise State Public Radio

These violent laws lead to violent vigilantism, because they're designed to tell these vicious conservative bigots that they can get away with aggravated assault, battery, and worse.
The mid-October arrest of a Boise man, accused of assault including the use of his vehicle as a weapon, garnered plenty of media attention. A short time later, he was also accused of burning a Pride flag that had been flying outside a Boise home.

But what was not widely known at the time of the arrest of Matthew Lehigh, was that his first alleged assault was on a transgender woman at her workplace – the Boise Downtown Public Library.

“This was a transphobic act, that it was inspired by transphobia,” said June Meissner. “And we have a big issue with transphobia in our culture right now. And there's a lot of people sort of drumming up more transphobia.”

Meissner visited with Morning Edition host George Prentice to talk about the incident, the support she has received from friends and colleagues and her frustration that Idaho law prevents the incident from being considered a hate crime.
Lehigh is a neonazi. Idaho, full of goosestepping conservative whites just like this, does not include gender or sexuality in its hate crime statues.

Conservative whites already think hate crime statutes discriminate against their poor victmized selves. :problem:

The point of these laws and the vigilantism that accompanies them is to remove LGBTQ people of all stripes from public life. Good luck with that, dirty cons.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by JoeMemphis »

ProfX wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:14 pm I think that is between the child, their family, and their physician.
I do not disagree.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:45 pm I do not disagree.
Who GAF.

You vote for this QAnon Qaren.

U.S. Sen. Marsha Blackburn headlines anti-transgender rally in Nashville - Tennessee Lookout

Accountability Project: Marsha Blackburn - GLAAD

F. you and the rest of you anti-civil rights cons that vote for literally the most extreme anti-queer and anti-trans politicians in the nation.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

By the way, conservative idiots stinking up this thread.

Gender and sexuality are two different things. Stop conflating them, and stop imposing confused laws on us just because you refuse to educate yourselves on it.

The existence of out gay and out trans people is not "sexually-oriented."

When you force your own miserable kids into heterosexuality and cisgenderism starting as soon as they can crawl, you are the groomer, you are the pervert.

Kids are safer with drag artists than conservative Evangelical men, any day of the week. Leave our children alone; they are not harming you by simply existing without your approval, and neither are we adults.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by lucytalk »

carmenjonze wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:33 pm Please provide a source for what you're talking about?

2nd request.
https://apnews.com/article/health-socia ... e9546a8695

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has called for an investigation into a pediatric transgender health clinic after videos surfaced on social media of a doctor touting that gender-affirming procedures are “huge money makers” for hospitals and a staffer saying anyone with a religious objection should quit.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center came under fierce scrutiny Tuesday after conservative political commentator Matt Walsh posted a series of tweets accusing the private hospital of opening its transgender health clinic because it was profitable, as well as criticizing some of the treatments VUMC provides to minors.

The posts included a video of one VUMC doctor in 2018 saying these “types of surgeries bring in a lot of money” and later saying that female-to-male bottom surgeries are “huge money makers.” A separate video shows another staffer warning that if employees do not want to participate in transgender treatments then they “probably shouldn’t work at Vanderbilt,” and warned that objections should be met with “consequences.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... -rcna51445

Vanderbilt to pause gender-affirming procedures for minorsNASHVILLE, Tenn.

Officials at Vanderbilt University Medical Center announced Friday that they are pausing gender-affirming surgeries for minors in order to review their practices.
imagination is intelligence having fun
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

lucytalk wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:48 pm https://apnews.com/article/health-socia ... e9546a8695

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has called for an investigation into a pediatric transgender health clinic after videos surfaced on social media of a doctor touting that gender-affirming procedures are “huge money makers” for hospitals and a staffer saying anyone with a religious objection should quit.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center came under fierce scrutiny Tuesday after conservative political commentator Matt Walsh posted a series of tweets accusing the private hospital of opening its transgender health clinic because it was profitable, as well as criticizing some of the treatments VUMC provides to minors.

The posts included a video of one VUMC doctor in 2018 saying these “types of surgeries bring in a lot of money” and later saying that female-to-male bottom surgeries are “huge money makers.” A separate video shows another staffer warning that if employees do not want to participate in transgender treatments then they “probably shouldn’t work at Vanderbilt,” and warned that objections should be met with “consequences.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... -rcna51445

Vanderbilt to pause gender-affirming procedures for minorsNASHVILLE, Tenn.

Officials at Vanderbilt University Medical Center announced Friday that they are pausing gender-affirming surgeries for minors in order to review their practices.
Ok thanks.

But I'm not asking because I can't find the information, the q. to Glennfs is always: where do YOU get YOUR information, and what is YOUR source.

He rarely answers and just runs away like a dirty confederate waving the white flag. Same for that other conservative, pontificating idiot JoeMintJulep.

:problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Jack Turban MD 🏳️‍⚧️🧠🏳️‍🌈
@jack_turban

🧵I'll try to dive into this new NYT story on blockers in more detail later, but some initial points:

1. Yes starting puberty can be clarifying re: gender dysphoria. That's a major reason why blockers aren't started until after puberty starts. It's sad the reporters missed that.

2. It's not news that adolescent fall behind on bone density while on pubertal suppression. This is noted in all guidelines and families and patients are always counseled on it. Bone density starts to increase again once blockers are stopped or gender-affirming hormones started.

3. The reporters ask if adolescents catch up on bone density entirely after gender-affirming hormones. Even if they don't - the key question is whether a small decrease in bone density represents something clinically significant (eg, risk of fracture). See Pang et al. 2020

4. Comparing what's happened in European countries re: them moving gender care into specialized clinics that do more research *is not even remotely analogous* to US states trying to ban gender-affirming care

5. The fearmongering around blockers not having a specific FDA indication for gender dysphoria is misleading. Off-label prescribing is common in pediatrics and not experimental. The reporters should have included that context.

6. The real story here is that the NYT put their high profile investigative journalists on this story that ended up... not having any new or novel investigative findings?

https://twitter.com/jack_turban/status/ ... 7705591808

Presumably they thought they had a bigger story & realized they didn't. They should be interviewed on that

~ Ida B. Wells