Mass Shootings/Gun Control Reform Thread

News and events of the day
carmenjonze

Re: Mass Shootings/Gun Control Reform Thread

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:29 pm And most proposed gun laws will not prevent most of this, because allowing people to own guns, any kind of gun, is the problem. it is NOT protected by the 2nd amendment, so enforce the "well regulated militia" part of it and NOBODY carries a gun outside of that.

Quentin Tarantino posted this sign on instagram, it was at a protest rally

Let's take a moment to honor the sacrifice of our brave school children who lay down their lives to protect our right to bear arms.
IDK if this creep was an incel or not but I suspect it.

Some of these traditionalist conservative males are literally homicidal.

Keeps happening. Over and over and over again with these people.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:05 pm IDK if this creep was an incel or not but I suspect it.

Some of these traditionalist conservative males are literally homicidal.

Keeps happening. Over and over and over again with these people.
Dont know anything about him myself, but no matter what kind of piece of shit he is, he doesnt have this power if the NRA had not bought The HELLER decision to promote gun sales, even though Heller is in direct violation of the 2nd.

just like voter ID is an unconstitutional poll tax, yet the conversation isn't about allowing voter ID or not anymore it's about what kind we allow

I mean I dont get it, how did we allow voter ID to happen? Unless your local government walks up to you and hands you an ID that is acceptable in the voting booth then it is unconstitutional and a poll tax.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

OMG
GET ANGRY

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status ... 2af6tFHttw
NEW: Families in Uvalde are having to get their DNA swabbed because the bodies of the dead children are so unrecognizable because of the military-style weaponry used by the shooter, per
SHOW the pictures of these MANGLED kids to Americans so they can FINALLY deal with this! :twisted: Let those fuckers ON THIS BOARD who will defend DOING NOTHING look at them!
I sigh in your general direction.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Libertas wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:10 pm Dont know anything about him myself, but no matter what kind of piece of shit he is, he doesnt have this power if the NRA had not bought The HELLER decision to promote gun sales, even though Heller is in direct violation of the 2nd.

just like voter ID is an unconstitutional poll tax, yet the conversation isn't about allowing voter ID or not anymore it's about what kind we allow

I mean I dont get it, how did we allow voter ID to happen? Unless your local government walks up to you and hands you an ID that is acceptable in the voting booth then it is unconstitutional and a poll tax.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

OMG
GET ANGRY

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status ... 2af6tFHttw
Yes SCOTUS.

I’ll tell you how it happens.

This appeal to dumb conservative whites and courting white moderates, and then depending on Black voters — a numerical minority — to get them out of the inevitable crap show that ensues.

Remember when they started blaming “Black turnout” for the Dem loss on 2016?

And when I’d remind these people that white women have consistently voted majority-Republican since at least the mid-70s…silence. Same silence as the rampant vote suppression targeting Latinos and African Americans.

We are on our own.

Tired of these circumstances.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Tue May 24, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by Libertas »

carmenjonze wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:37 pm Yes SCOTUS.

I’ll tell you how it happens.

This appeal to dumb conservative whites and courting white moderates, and the n depending on Black voters — a numerical minority — to get them out of the inevitable crap show that ensues.

And when I’d remind these people that white women have consistently voted majority-Republican since at least the mid-70s…silence. Same silence as the rampant vote suppression targeting Latinos and African Americans.

We are on our own.

Tired of these circumstances.
I do, specifically.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:49 pm I am sure the responses will be much different than had the shooter been a white conservative male.
A reponse from one of your WS/conservative white male politicians. You guys allow people like this to represent you.

Hey, is it too early, yet?

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦
@RonFilipkowski

Deleted tweet by Gosar. He wasn’t trans. He wasn’t leftist. He wasn’t an illegal alien. The only thing Gosar got right was the name. Another in an endless list of despicable acts by Gosar.

And he didn't even get the name right. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by 47of74 »

I've said it before. I'll say it again. Republicans can stick their thoughts and prayers where the sun doesn't shine.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

47of74 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:22 am I've said it before. I'll say it again. Republicans can stick their thoughts and prayers where the sun doesn't shine.
"Let us prey."

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

19 kids dead, 2 teachers. :(

"Texas Gov. Greg Abbott tweeted in 2015 that he was 'embarrassed' that Texas was No. 2 in gun purchases and told Texans to 'pick up the pace'"

But who cares what he tweeted in 2015. Here's what he and the TX Leg. have DONE since then, from the Houston Chronicle:
"Whether it’s a handgun, rifle or semi-automatic invented for war, the governor has supported and the Legislature has passed law after law that have obliterated any semblance of good sense regulation — laws so permissive that they’ve even defied the objections of police chiefs and gun safety instructors, including the 2021 permitless carry bill that the governor bragged on Twitter allows any eligible Texan to carry a gun in public with 'no license or training' needed. As though that were progress," the editorial board wrote.

This is precious (ironies intended). It seems he bought his two guns on his 18th birthday.

https://www.newsweek.com/uvalde-shooter ... ge-1709863

Eighteen-year-old Salvador Ramos, who was named as the killer of the 19 children and two adults shot at a primary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday, bought two rifles on his 18th birthday, a Texas state senator said.

State Senator Roland Gutierrez, who said he's in contact with local officials on the ground, said he was informed in a briefing by Texas Rangers that Ramos had bought two assault-style rifles from a store in Uvalde County earlier this month on his 18th birthday, the first day he could do so legally.

​​"It was the first thing that he did on his 18th birthday," Gutierrez said, as reported by NBC. "It's astounding to me."

Texas legislation allows people who are 18 years old or older to to legally purchase long guns, including shotguns and rifles.

Handguns can normally only be bought by people aged 21 years old or older, but a 2021 amendment to the Texas Government Code allows people who are 18 years old to be eligible for a handgun license if they meet all other requirements except the minimum age under federal law and are under protective orders related to family violence.

Since September 1, 2021, Texas no longer requires people to have a license to carry a handgun in most public places. Restrictions remained on carrying firearms at schools.

State Senator John Whitmire, who represents the north Houston area, gave a slightly different account. He said he was briefed by officials that Ramos had purchased one of the rifles from a federally licensed gun store on May 17, one day after his birthday, the Houston Chronicle reports.

A day later, the gunman bought 375 rounds of ammunition. On May 20, he bought a second rifle.

Officials have not yet confirmed whether the two rifles were the same weapons used by Ramos in the shooting at the Robb Elementary School, but they said they recovered two AR-15 style rifles from the scene at the primary school, according to the Houston Chronicle.

President Joe Biden talked about two assault weapons in his address to the nation on Tuesday.

"The idea that an 18-year-old kid can walk into a gun store and buy two assault weapons — it's just wrong," Biden said in the emotional speech. "What in God's name do you need an assault weapon for, except to kill someone?"

[snip][end]

Whether he bought both the same day or a couple days apart ... whatever.

For reasons that don't make sense to me, Texas says you need to be 21 to get a handgun, but at 18 you can apparently get a semi-auto rifle and as many high-cap magazines as you feel like, kind of like picking up Gummi Bear packets.

BTW, they are reporting his 66 year grandmother, which he shot first, is still alive, but in critical condition in the hospital. Also I spoke wrong earlier - he was wearing some type of tactical vest.
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

I'm done talking about gun atrocities. Talk is over. There is only action.

Texas has always creeped me out. One of many examples of why came a few years back when an acquaintance of mine got a job with the symphony in a big city, which is always a big career thing because they are scarce and the auditions have a lot of competition. Problem was that many musicians in the orchestra wore guns at rehearsals, recording sessions, and everywhere else except on stage. Any state where musicians in symphony orchestras feel the need to be packed as often as possible is not normal.

Then there are the anti-litter signs. Last time I was actually in TX, they said "Don't mess with Texas." A bit hostile, are we?

Sorry, Texans, that's how I feel about your state, so deal.
Last edited by ZoWie on Wed May 25, 2022 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

And here comes the usual crap, after the tots n pears.

Texas AG Paxton says the answer is to "fortify" our schools (turn them into fortresses), have more armed people on campus, and of course my favorite idea (ironies intended), having all TX teachers be armed. :|
"Don't believe every quote attributed to people on the Internet" -- Abraham Lincoln :D
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

ProfX wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am And here comes the usual crap, after the tots n pears.

Texas AG Paxton says the answer is to "fortify" our schools (turn them into fortresses), have more armed people on campus, and of course my favorite idea (ironies intended), having all TX teachers be armed. :|
Nukes are the only answer. Small tactical fusion devices, maybe the "dial-a-yield" variety, under every school, with panic buttons under teachers' desks accessed by a daily changing code, or (in problem areas) sonic alarms programmed to trip on multiple gunshots.

Just kidding. Intelligently conceived political activism fortified by dogged determination would go a long way to swing the middle on this issue. We're not anti-gun. We're anti-whacko-massacres.
"We must remember that we cannot abandon the truth and remain a free nation." --Liz Cheney, Republican, 7/21/22
ProfX

Post by ProfX »

Since 90% of Americans appear to support universal background checks, including quite a few NRA members, I really think it's America vs. a small group of nuts, honestly.

Dunno, one thing Chris Rock IS right about is talking about the ammo. Semi auto weapons (pistols or rifles), high cap magazines ... letting people buy all the ammo they want at one time like a piñata at age 18 = the formula for massacres.

Also, I kinda keep wondering about this question. If you are not going into the military or law enforcement, or working as a security guard ... should anybody and their cousin be able to buy body armor? Am I saying ban it, no. But look, dunno, maybe some flags should go off, some scrutiny somewhere if somebody buys body armor, two semi autos, and 375 rounds all in a very short period of time.
ZoWie

Post by ZoWie »

But look, dunno, maybe some flags should go off, some scrutiny somewhere if somebody buys body armor, two semi autos, and 375 rounds all in a very short period of time.
In many parts of Texas, that's considered a hobby.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

ProfX wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am And here comes the usual crap, after the tots n pears.

More guns is their answer, which is what I said they would say one minute after the news broke. :twisted:

We all knew they would say that.
ap215

Post by ap215 »

This was my school where we have the same continuous problems today https://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/15/nyre ... oklyn.html
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm As for the ultimate answer I doubt there is one.
Brian Tyler Cohen
@briantylercohen

Republicans passed anti-CRT laws IMMEDIATELY.
Republicans passed anti-trans laws IMMEDIATELY.
Republicans passed book bans IMMEDIATELY.
Republicans act IMMEDIATELY when they say something poses a threat.

If they WANTED to fix these shootings, they would. They're CHOOSING not to.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/sta ... 4885605376

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm As for the ultimate answer I doubt there is one.

Rudy Romeiro
@RudyLRomeiro

Number of children killed in 2022:
- by CRT = 0
- by Saying Gay = 0
- by Books = 0
- by Guns = 223

https://twitter.com/RudyLRomeiro/status ... 7325716480

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

You guys don't care about anyone's kids any more than you care about life, itself. Not even your own, except when they're good as props.

:(

These babies, omg.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

You guys waste no time passing anti-LGBTQ censorship and forcible outing of students laws.

You personally support this.

Yet you wonder what can be done about mass murders in schools. Sure, you do.

Yesterday, at the same time yet another man was killing 8 year olds:

NC Republicans seek to pass 'Parents' Bill of Rights,' tread into divisive LGBTQ debate on education - WTVD

Charlotte Pride statement on North Carolina’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’, anti-trans bill - Charlotte Pride
Charlotte Pride condemns any efforts which make our schools or communities unsafe for LGBTQ young people, parents, teachers, and school staff. North Carolina’s copycat of Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” law would ban discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity. The bill would also endanger transgender and gender-nonconforming youth by requiring schools to forcibly out transgender youth to their parents.

This legislation, if passed, would drastically and negatively impact the ability of young people to realize their full potential in a safe and welcoming learning environment. Legislators should focus their attention on making schools safer and fostering environments where the most vulnerable of our youth can thrive and succeed. LGBTQ young people are four times more likely to attempt suicide than their straight peers. This legislation will make this reality worse, not better.

North Carolina deserves steady, inclusive governance focused on solutions. Legislation like this harkens back to Raleigh’s last anti-LGBTQ discrimination bill, HB2, in 2016. It will backfire.

Charlotte Pride sends this message to our LGBTQ young people, families, teachers, and school staff: We see you. We hear you. We love you. We will stand by you and we will do everything we can to make your life better and whole. Don’t ever be ashamed to “say gay” — or trans!

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm I suspect if a study was done all these shooters have some things in common. Which would be a start to determining how to start preventing them.
This is what you astroturfed conservatives consider to be "prevention."

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

The Far Right Is Falsely Blaming a Trans Woman for the Texas School Shooting - Vice
“It tracks with their policies which vilify and harm trans people in the USA. The problem is never gun safety—it’s always something else.”

As the horrors of the worst school shooting in a decade were unfolding on Tuesday afternoon, the far right began immediately spreading disinformation about it.

In what is now a sadly typical cycle of information and disinformation related to mass shootings, the false narratives that circulated in the wake of the horrific massacre in Uvalde, Texas, were designed not only to confuse but also to deflect blame from America’s gun laws and onto the far-right’s favorite targets.

The shooter was a “transexual leftist illegal alien named Salvatore Ramos” tweeted far-right Republican Rep. Paul Gosar, citing a bogus conspiracy theory dreamed up by trolls in the worst parts of the internet.
Despite Twitter users immediately flagging Gosar’s mistake, the Congressman–who’s known for attending white nationalist conferences alongside people who marched at the Charlottesville “Unite the Right” rally–took over two hours to delete his tweet.

The trans woman whose images were being shared posted a message on Reddit on Tuesday night titled, “It’s not me, I don’t even live in Texas.”

“They are my pics,” she wrote. “People are using [them] to make trans people look like murderers and blaming me for the shooting.”
Very fine people on both sides.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Muffuletta Matzo Man
@NeeNeinNyetNo

The school district for Robb Elementary has its own police department with 5 cops and 1 security guard. The city of Uvalde's police department recieved just under 40% of the entire city's budget for the year and got a 500k grant from the state. Neither stopped today's massacre.

There have been two subway shootings in the past month in NYC, with one of the largest police forces on the planet. The Buffalo police and FBI both did nothing to stop the massacre just a weeks ago. Despite record funding across the country, the police have stopped nothing.

Cops do not protect you or your children. They serve only to keep workers in this country subdued and in line. This is all intentional. The US police must be abolished if we ever want to be safe.

In case you don't believe my first tweet, here's the sources for the info. All readily available online.

https://twitter.com/NeeNeinNyetNo/statu ... 8601151491

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ap215 »

Mexico shooting: Gunmen open fire at hotel in Celaya

Gunmen have opened fire at a hotel in the Mexican city of Celaya, in central Guanajuato state.

Local media say at least 11 people have been killed and several more injured.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-61562286
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Glennfs wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm I suspect if a study was done all these shooters have some things in common. Which would be a start to determining how to start preventing them.
The far-right extremist representing the district Uvalde is in sounds just like you.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by ProfX »

And, without fail, send in the clowns.

He never proposed anything about "taking anybody's guns".

The Secret Service is supposed to take all threats seriously. I hope they do.

And homey, if you think the Militia mentioned in the 2nd amendment was there for the reason you say (threatening violence against our government and leaders)... you really, really need to read the Constitution.

Oh, and the headline from today's Onion.
‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens :|