Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

News and events of the day
gounion

Re: Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer to retire

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm That would be risky. Not sure all the Democratic Senators would be on board. Plus the Senate confirmation hearings would be quite a circus. And if confirmed, when she resigns as VP the tie breaker is lost and the replacement VP can be blocked until the dark side is satisfied.
Any hearings that involve the GOP will be a circus. They will go full racist and sexist on any nominee.

They are already calling it discrimination against white men.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:45 pm That would be risky. Not sure all the Democratic Senators would be on board. Plus the Senate confirmation hearings would be quite a circus. And if confirmed, when she resigns as VP the tie breaker is lost and the replacement VP can be blocked until the dark side is satisfied.
Poor choice of words.

IDK what dark side you're referring to, being a dishonest con, yourself. But this is classic quisling/weasel-word talk.

People like you talk this way because you, like every other so-called moderate, don't have the integrity to be up front with your conservative agenda.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:52 pm Any hearings that involve the GOP will be a circus. They will go full racist and sexist on any nominee.

They are already calling it discrimination against white men.
This is a cartoon, but it's not an exaggeration.

Conservative white men and their admirers are so insecure that they find 3 Black people in 230 years of almost exclusively white males on the SCOTUS to be an existential threat.

Then they wonder why nobody respects them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

First, there's no way that Biden would nominate Harris. It's a self-serving, underhanded thing to do, and Biden has too much integrity to do so.

Nothing against Harris, but you just wouldn't make her a Supreme Court Justice so as not to have to have her as a running mate in 2022.

This kind of thing comes from the mind of conservatives. After all, Richard Nixon promised Robert Bork a Supreme Court seat for his dirty work in the Friday Night Massacre, and Bork accepted. That's what conservatives do, not liberals. We believe in the rule of law.

Biden will nominate a highly intelligent, highly qualified black woman for the court.

And Glenn will tell us all that there were bazillions white conservative males that were far more qualified that Biden should have nominated.
gounion

Post by gounion »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:47 pm This is a cartoon, but it's not an exaggeration.

Conservative white men and their admirers are so insecure that they find 3 Black people in 230 years of almost exclusively white males on the SCOTUS to be an existential threat.

Then they wonder why nobody respects them.
This graphic is the NFL owner's planned diagram for the hiring of head coaches this year. But it's nine coaches, not eight.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:51 pm This graphic is the NFL owner's planned diagram for the hiring of head coaches this year. But it's nine coaches, not eight.
Yes and they really believe it.

They honestly think that in the 230+ year old legacy of the Supreme Court, two Black men, four white women, a wise Latina, and potentially a Black woman are a direct existential threat.

Lol these snowflakes were offended because Elena Kagan has short hair and plays softball and wears pantsuits or whatever.

The same people's parents and grandparents allowed vigilante violence against even one Black kid walking into the social abyss of some stupid all-white school. Today, after having the government hand them everything, they somehow rationalize screaming and spittling at everyone in earshot about meritocracy. All while falling all over themselves for kinder küche kirche white women like Sarah Palin and Amy Coney Barrett. :problem:

Their paranoid, violent behavior today around the spectre of a Black woman Justice is just an extention of that.
Last edited by carmenjonze on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 pm First, there's no way that Biden would nominate Harris. It's a self-serving, underhanded thing to do, and Biden has too much integrity to do so.

Nothing against Harris, but you just wouldn't make her a Supreme Court Justice so as not to have to have her as a running mate in 2022.

This kind of thing comes from the mind of conservatives. After all, Richard Nixon promised Robert Bork a Supreme Court seat for his dirty work in the Friday Night Massacre, and Bork accepted. That's what conservatives do, not liberals. We believe in the rule of law.

Biden will nominate a highly intelligent, highly qualified black woman for the court.

And Glenn will tell us all that there were bazillions white conservative males that were far more qualified that Biden should have nominated.
Ohhh but she's "a black woman," tho! So clearly she must be on the list!

I notice bradman neglected to substantiate exactly what "Harris talk" he's referring to. Same for that inane confederate Bludogdem.

Eh, doesn't matter. Lol it could be rumored to be VP Harris, or Oprah, or Megan the Stallion, or me. We all look alike, to them, so they wring their hands about person no. 8 to overturn the all-white-male all-the-time apple cart.
So..look. These dislaimers about intelligence and qualifications are unnecessary, and ONLY crop up with regard to nonwhite candidates. I've argued more cases before a court than Amy Coney Barrett has, and that number is a straight-up zero. Lol so-called moderates like Sam Lefthand see no problem with defending that level of mediocrity. None.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

Just wondering about 2024.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:46 pm Just wondering about 2024.
You're wondering what about 2024.

Where are you two getting your information?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by marindem01 »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:42 pm As the saying goes, "all the women are white, all the blacks are men."

Lol that guy would NEVER consider a Black person of any gender for SCOTUS.

Well, he's married to a WS. That's the only type of Black person conservative whites pretend to like, for a hot second.

I said for many years on RRMB and at times on RFL 1.0 that we're just symbols, to them. Symbols, hashmarks, placeholders. They are so petty they even fold SCOTUS appointments into their game of retribution for the gains made by civil rights movements. :problem:
From what I've read, Thomas is shit scared of his wife. He wants to retire, but he is afraid his wife will rat him out on some his dealing both on and off the bench.
Love of Country is not Blind Patriotism. It is not devotion to one person or one party. It is knowing fighting for your country is single most important thing you can do. Do not accept the notion violence is the answer.
gounion

Post by gounion »

This is truly astonishing. No, I take that back, not at all, not on today's racist right:
Less than a week after being hired to head a high-profile research department at Georgetown Law School, the former head of a conservative D.C. think tank predicted that Joe Biden’s Supreme Court nominee will be a “lesser black woman.” Former Cato Institute director Ilya Shapiro, now executive director of Georgetown’s Center for the Constitution, wrote, “Objectively best pick for Biden is Sri Srinivasan, who is solid prog and v smart. Even has identity politics benefit of being first Asian (Indian) American. But alas doesn’t fit into last intersectionality hierarchy so we’ll get lesser black woman. Thank heaven for small favors?” In a second tweet, Shapiro added, “Because Biden said he’s only consider [sic] black women for SCOTUS, his nominee will always have an asterisk attached. Fitting that the Court takes up affirmative action next term.” He apologized the next day and deleted the tweets, calling them “inartful.” Georgetown Law School Dean William Treanor said in an email that tweets were “demeaning,” “appalling” and “at odds with everything we stand for at Georgetown Law.”
No, Dean, they weren't demeaning or appalling. They were RACIST.

This is obviously what this guy's made of, and obviously he was quite comfortable letting his racist flag fly.

And this is just the beginning, folks. It will get far uglier from here on in.
Drak

Post by Drak »

carmenjonze wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:48 pm You're wondering what about 2024.

Where are you two getting your information?
This Harris replacement talk is coming from right wing circles.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:25 pm This is truly astonishing. No, I take that back, not at all, not on today's racist right:

No, Dean, they weren't demeaning or appalling. They were RACIST.

This is obviously what this guy's made of, and obviously he was quite comfortable letting his racist flag fly.

And this is just the beginning, folks. It will get far uglier from here on in.
So, does that mean we're not going to have this cleared up before tomorrow night?

It may get ugly, but so far as i know, there's nothing stopping us from putting a liberal judge on the court.
I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat. [Will Rogers]
bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:27 pm This Harris replacement talk is coming from right wing circles.
Why would they want her on the SC?
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:33 pm So, does that mean we're not going to have this cleared up before tomorrow night?
Please be specific, and provide a source for what you're trying to talk about?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:33 pm So, does that mean we're not going to have this cleared up before tomorrow night?

It may get ugly, but so far as i know, there's nothing stopping us from putting a liberal judge on the court.
Again, Biden is going to use due diligence, as he should. I understand that he plans to make a nomination before the end of February.

I've heard some rumblings that because of the power-sharing agreement between Schumer and McConnell about Committees, with the numbers being equal, the GOP may try to tie it up in Committee and not let it out. Not sure if a 50-50 vote can get it out of Committee. They also may refuse any and all interviews.

I dunno. Most of the folks in the know thinks that the GOP can't stop it.

I hope they're right.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 pm Why would they want her on the SC?
What is the purpose of you lobbing that bomb in this thread? No references, no sources, no links.

Where are you getting your information for what you're going on about?

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 pm Again, Biden is going to use due diligence, as he should. I understand that he plans to make a nomination before the end of February.

I've heard some rumblings that because of the power-sharing agreement between Schumer and McConnell about Committees, with the numbers being equal, the GOP may try to tie it up in Committee and not let it out. Not sure if a 50-50 vote can get it out of Committee. They also may refuse any and all interviews.

I dunno. Most of the folks in the know thinks that the GOP can't stop it.

I hope they're right.
[bold] Me too.

If this SC nomination doesn't fly this member of the DFL may lose it.
Drak

Post by Drak »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:39 pm Why would they want her on the SC?

It's not about that. It's about sowing doubt about Biden's administration and furthering the RW talking point that Harris is not healthy on the ticket, Dems in disarray. Etc.

This is an example

Miles Taylor - Verified @MilesTaylorUSA
·5h

Dear President Biden: nominate Harris to Supreme Court. Bring Mitt Romney in as VP. Crush Trump in 2024.
"Some of those that work forces,
Are the same that burn crosses"

- Rage Against the Machine
gounion

Post by gounion »

Drak wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 pm It's not about that. It's about sowing doubt about Biden's administration and furthering the RW talking point that Harris is not healthy on the ticket, Dems in disarray. Etc.

This is an example

·5h

Dear President Biden: nominate Harris to Supreme Court. Bring Mitt Romney in as VP. Crush Trump in 2024.
Drak, you are exactly right. This is yet another right-wing trolling campaign. And sadly, we have folks that buy the bullshit.
bradman

Post by bradman »

Drak wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:45 pm It's not about that. It's about sowing doubt about Biden's administration and furthering the RW talking point that Harris is not healthy on the ticket, Dems in disarray. Etc.

This is an example

·5h

I dunno.........Suppose it depends upon whether or not we think Harris can win in 2024.

You been wondering about Romney?
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 pm I dunno.........Suppose it depends upon whether or not we think Harris can win in 2024.

Of course not. Have YOU?
bradman

Post by bradman »

gounion wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:53 pm Of course not. Have YOU?
You don't worry about Romney?
gounion

Post by gounion »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:56 pm You don't worry about Romney?
Are you saying that you think that Biden would consider Mitt Romney as a running mate?

Please, explain.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

bradman wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:49 pm I dunno.........Suppose it depends upon whether or not we think Harris can win in 2024.\
Still waiting on where exactly you hopped this train of thought, because you're not bright enough to have come up with it on your own.

Where did you get these ideas from?
:?

~ Ida B. Wells