What was Bill Russell's life like while he was racking up 11 rings? His daughter writes:

News and events of the day
JoeMemphis

Re: What was Bill Russell's life like while he was racking up 11 rings? His daughter writes:

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:03 am "That's all"

So you're saying that the ONLY thing you are praising him for is for being a player and broadcaster. You DON'T praise him for his life's work. Here's some of it - Bill Russell's Biggest Wins Were Against the NBA:

He also took a knee in support of Colin Kaepernick, and supported the Black Lives Matter movement, both actions, of course, you wouldn't support.

THESE are the important things that Bill Russell did, and he showed the courage to make the world a better place. But you ONLY praise him for being a "Player and broadcaster". I also note that you ONLY want to praise him as a player and broadcaster, and you omit the fact that he had a great coaching career too as the first black coach in NBA history, and he has been admitted to the NBA Hall of Fame TWICE, both as a coach and a player. Maybe you should check out his wikipedia page to find out the REAL history of Bill Russell.

But we can all see why you ONLY praise him as a player and broadcaster, and NOTHING ELSE.
Is it possible for you to post without putting words in someone else’s mouth? Is it possible for anyone to say anything nice about this man shortly after his death without you turning it into something it isn’t?

One measure of anyones’ life is how you are remembered. I don’t think I have ever heard a negative comment about Bill Russell. I think he got along with everyone and was well liked by everyone. Even people he may have disagreed with. He could disagree without being disagreeable. Maybe a lesson you could learn from him.
gounion

Re: What was Bill Russell's life like while he was racking up 11 rings? His daughter writes:

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:03 pm Is it possible for you to post without putting words in someone else’s mouth? Is it possible for anyone to say anything nice about this man shortly after his death without you turning it into something it isn’t?

One measure of anyones’ life is how you are remembered. I don’t think I have ever heard a negative comment about Bill Russell. I think he got along with everyone and was well liked by everyone. Even people he may have disagreed with. He could disagree without being disagreeable. Maybe a lesson you could learn from him.
Sorry, but it's you that said you were praising his playing and his broadcasting, and - YOU wrote this, not me - "That's all". I was the one that asked you about the other parts of his life, and YOU are the one that said that was ALL you were praising.

Yeah, you want to say something nice about ONE part of his life, and ignore the rest. And let's be clear - you have the chance to talk about and praise the other parts, and you won't do it. So you've proved what I said to be correct.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:35 pm Sorry, but it's you that said you were praising his playing and his broadcasting, and - YOU wrote this, not me - "That's all". I was the one that asked you about the other parts of his life, and YOU are the one that said that was ALL you were praising.

Yeah, you want to say something nice about ONE part of his life, and ignore the rest. And let's be clear - you have the chance to talk about and praise the other parts, and you won't do it. So you've proved what I said to be correct.
It would not be a crime to admit one knows little about that part of his life. Personally I am pretty familiar with Kareem's life in activism but was not that aware of Mr. Russell's. It is one of the reasons I posted this OP, I figured maybe I wasn't the only one.

Another chance for con to say "I was wrong, I am learning and I admire his work beyond the mic and court."
I sigh in your general direction.
JoeMemphis

Post by JoeMemphis »

gounion wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:35 pm Sorry, but it's you that said you were praising his playing and his broadcasting, and - YOU wrote this, not me - "That's all". I was the one that asked you about the other parts of his life, and YOU are the one that said that was ALL you were praising.

I was commenting on Bill Russell as a man. If you want to turn this into an argument, that’s up to you. You would start a fight at a funeral. I was just paying respect to the man.
gounion

Post by gounion »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:41 pm I was commenting on Bill Russell as a man. If you want to turn this into an argument, that’s up to you. You would start a fight at a funeral. I was just paying respect to the man.
Yes, what he did for civil rights WAS the MAIN part of who Bill Russell was as a man.

And you continue to refuse to praise that.
Libertas

Post by Libertas »

gounion wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:47 pm Yes, what he did for civil rights WAS the MAIN part of who Bill Russell was as a man.

And you continue to refuse to praise that.
Con still wont say it, I see.

Sigh

Almost as if a Black man dedicating his life to CIVIL RIGHTS bugs board con.

I will apologize and say I am wrong if board con tells you, I dont want him talking to me, that he does now recognize this and admires this.
I sigh in your general direction.
Bludogdem

Post by Bludogdem »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:41 pm I was commenting on Bill Russell as a man. If you want to turn this into an argument, that’s up to you. You would start a fight at a funeral. I was just paying respect to the man.
I’d say your comment “a life well lived” is a more than sufficient testament to his many fine works. Some people just don’t understand the profound simplicity of a term like “a life we’ll lived”. Just beyond their comprehension.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

JoeMemphis wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:03 pm Is it possible for you to post without putting words in someone else’s mouth? Is it possible for anyone to say anything nice about this man shortly after his death without you turning it into something it isn’t?
You said something trite and then wallowed in your socially-conservative stupidity. You were criticized for it.

So what.

The way to right wrongs is to
Shine the light of truth on them.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:04 pm I’d say your comment “a life well lived” is a more than sufficient testament to his many fine works. Some people just don’t understand the profound simplicity of a term like “a life we’ll lived”. Just beyond their comprehension.
"A life well-lived" is an unoriginal cliché from the dumbest person on the board.

There is nothing profound about an unoriginal cliché, but it certainly is simple-minded.

No wonder you're so overdefensive.

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by carmenjonze »

You disrespect his work, just like the dumb conservative whites that came before you.

And the ones that will unfortunately come after you. :problem:

~ Ida B. Wells

Post by gounion »

Bludogdem wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:04 pm I’d say your comment “a life well lived” is a more than sufficient testament to his many fine works. Some people just don’t understand the profound simplicity of a term like “a life we’ll lived”. Just beyond their comprehension.
He later said he was ONLY talking about his accomplishments as a player and broadcaster. Nothing else.
carmenjonze

Post by carmenjonze »

How Bill Russell Changed the Game, On and Off the Court - JSTOR Daily
Sometimes, the game felt like magic. “That feeling is difficult to describe,” NBA player Bill Russell wrote in his 1979 book Second Wind. “When it happened I could feel my play rise to a new level.”

It’s almost beyond comprehension to think about what a “new level” could be for a player like Russell. He elevated the game so high that what came before him and what came after were barely in the same universe. As historian Aram Goudsouzian writes, “His defensive mastery … transfigured the game’s patterns, compelling a faster and more athletic sport.” If basketball was his only contribution, Russell, who died on July 31, 2022, at age 88, would still be a permanent part of history. But his legacy extends far beyond his playing.
More in link

~ Ida B. Wells