Smart Voices, Be Heard
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:02 am 
Policy Wonk

Rightwing alliance plots assault to 'defund and defang' America's unions

Rightwing activists across the US have launched a nationwide campaign to undermine progressive politicians by depriving them of a major source of support and funding – public sector unions.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... are_btn_tw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:24 am 
Board Emeritus

"SPN will be discussing its anti-union and anti-left agenda on Wednesday at its annual meeting in San Antonio, Texas ... ."

:lol:

Reported 7 hours ago:

"Abbott also said Friday that about 1,000 people have been evacuated from Beaumont to Dallas and San Antonio, but that number is expected to rise, as the nearby Neches River is still flooded. The river is at least 7 feet above its record flood stage, Abbott said, and it will remain that high for about at least a week."

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne ... r-flooding

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:05 pm 
Board Emeritus

the merican people Are a Union.

will we allow them to break our Union?.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:22 am 
Board Emeritus

The right has been plotting against the labor movement for decades. This is nothing new. Yet we persist.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:32 pm 
Board Emeritus

They've been afraid of unions since year one. In Boston, they show you the castle the rich asshats built to take refuge from uppity labor if it came to that. It's small, and definitely built for self-defense. Gun slits and all that. You'd need a missile to take it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:58 am 
Board Emeritus

Are there any private unions anymore? Seems to me all those jobs went to Mexico and China.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:50 am 
Board Emeritus

Are there any private unions anymore? Seems to me all those jobs went to Mexico and China.

You spoke about that in terms of absolutes RitaAnn. Using "any" and "all"

I think there are still all of the private sector unions there were when I was a child growing up. The size and scope of some have declined. The steel and the manufacturing sector has certainly declined. The building trade unions are doing pretty much so so fine. My union is still strong. People will never stop pooping where they live, the local pipe fitting trade will never be sent off to some distant land.

Talking about unions is kind of like talking about great depressions and he end of times. There is always someone around who is about gloom and doom and is predicting the end of it all.

During my life the coming END which I have heard about the least is the second coming of Jesus and end of time.

That the next great depression is just around the bend is the one I've heard about the most. Why put thirty people in a room and two of them will be saying to everyone else that he next great depression will be upon us by the end of the year, or at least the early part of the following year.

That two people in that room of thirty will more than likely share the same birthday is the probable outcome which I put my faith in, and is the one which pans out the most often. :)

That unions were about to be wiped out for good by this, or by that, were the comments which I found were found were in the middling.

We need unions, we'll have unions. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:53 am 
Board Emeritus

Rita's not wrong. We are certainly under the largest, most well-funded, most organized assault since the Lochner Era. We are in a great deal of danger. Only the death of Justice Scalia prevented public unions from being decimated by the Friedrichs case. It was a four-four tie. If the right can get another similar case up through the system, Gorsuch will certainly provide that fifth vote.

And make no mistake, another far-right wing justice or two could easily bring back the Lochner Era, and the Supreme Court could basically outlaw unions if they wanted to - and that's what the right wants.

Don't pretend for a moment that it can't happen - it can and there would be NOTHING we could do about it.

I said that I'm a glass-half-full kinda guy. But I am under no illusions that our movement can't be wiped out with the stroke of a Supreme Court pen. I'm VERY concerned about that. Because we aren't ordained to be here, Sam. Lots of people died to get us where we are, and if the right gets the power they want, we'll go back to where we were.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 am 
Board Emeritus

deleted